“Awful Attitude”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Micanopy
Herlong Mansion Bed and Breakfast Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Micanopy B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 24, 2013

My wife and I were looking for a place to stay for the night in Micanopy. It was our second wedding anniversary and we found the Herlong Mansion online. We called repeatedly to no answer for the better part of an afternoon. We called every number that was available and finally left a message for callback. No call took place. We decided that at that point we were close enough to the place to just stop by. We finally arrived around 7 pm and were impressed with the outside. The place was locked up and some women were inside. They saw us and gave us a number to call. The gentleman who answered the phone simply told us that we were to late. They obviously dont care about the person who is wanting to spend time in that historic place. They are more concerned with what is convenient to them. Good luck getting them to even answer their phone if you want to stay with them. There is good news for any travelers in the area. Shady Oaks. Frank made the whole evening great and made you feel comfortable. From what we experienced i'm sure that Herlong would not have been an enjoyable stay. I admit the place was beautiful but the staff available would obviously make the stay less than stellar. If the management changes it MIGHT be worth your time.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Russell H
KiKiManhattan, Owner at Herlong Mansion Bed and Breakfast Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 3, 2013

THIS REVIEW IS FROM SOMEONE THAT DID NOT STAY AT THE HERLONG.
We are so sorry you were unable to stay with us and enjoy the Herlong Mansion for your anniversary. Our front desk is open from 7:30 AM to between 4-6PM during the week and to 7-8PM on Weekends. We always answer the phone and respond to messages during office hours. The woman who called us late that evening at our home apologized for calling so late and without a reservation- she said it was a spur of the moment decision (no calls were received from them during the day as indicated in the review). My husband (professionally and politely) explained to her that the Herlong was closed for the night and no one was at the front desk at that hour- He suggested some other places and I'm happy that the Shady Oak was able to accommodate them. Reservations made in advance are mandatory in order to be able to stay at our Inn -especially if you are planning to arrive late at night. I really feel that giving the Herlong a one star for something beyond and out of our control is unjust .

There are newer reviews for Herlong Mansion Bed and Breakfast Inn

Reviewed February 21, 2013 via mobile

The Inn itself was lovely and clean but the owners were not very friendly and the breakfasts were puny and we had no choices; tea and coffee were off brands, food was often lukewarm and bland. There were very few "extras" , the "free" wine was undrinkable and the cookies were gone five minutes after having been put out and no more offered.
The young girl who helped out (Rachel) was wonderful but the male counterpart was rather sullen. And you'd better get to breakfast before 9:30 because at 9:31 the leftovers, if any, we're whisked away!!!
I won't recommend it but it was the only place in town for a gathering.

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank FrogzRMe
Reviewed January 4, 2013

Stayed at the Inn on New Years Eve. were. Just a short walk down the street from the Inn were all the antique shops and little cafe's. We did not expect them to be open but they were which was a pleasant surprise. When we got to the Inn we were greated by friendly staff that showed us around the Inn and was knowledgable about the homes history. Only one other couple were staying so we had the entire Mansion to ourselves. We stayed in the Herlong Suite which was huge and quite comfortable. The room open up onto the porch which had rocking chairs and two huge porch swings that were so comfortable you could have slept on them. The Inn had Port and Sherry and other refreshments which we enjoyed out on the porch. The room was clean and decorated with antiques. the bathroom was large and immaculate. Not modern, probably original fiuxtures to the house except an added shower. Everything worked,flushed and drained which is sometimes a challenge in old buildings. The breakfast was good nothing fancy but served by the same staff member that checked us in, we never met the Inn keeper. If I had to make some constructive suggestions I would declutter the check in area and move the earings that were for sale off the main entrace table. It was way over the top cluttered with little trinkets on the window ledges, buckets and other clutter. It actually shocked me because the outside is so grand. .Kind of a strange set up for such a lovely home. Reminded me of my kids rooms with all the trinkets.

Room Tip: Herlong Suite large , comfotable loved the porch off the room.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Andrea J
KiKiManhattan, Owner at Herlong Mansion Bed and Breakfast Inn, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2013

Thank you for your review and your discerning eye. I appreciate your suggestion and have removed some of the excess from Christmas and from Zazu's Toys (in the bucket for my little chihuahua) from the reception desk area. The earring display was out front for Christmas gifting and I have placed them in the rear gift area. I'm pleased you enjoyed your stay and i thank you for your constructive criticism as it helps me keep the Herlong Mansion a pleasant experience for everyone.

Reviewed December 30, 2012

After my recent Christmas visit to the Herlong Mansion, I just had to enter a second review. The owners continue to improve this B & B. They have added additional antiques and the holiday decorations were lovely. This time I stayed in a different room (The Dogwood Room) and especially noticed how they had thoughtfully placed good reading lamps which were perfect for bedtime reading. The owners and staff continue to provide old-time southern hospitality and service while still being unobtrusive.

Room Tip: If you want to feel like Queen Victoria, choose The Herlong Room, the original master bedroom suite.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Inez D
Reviewed December 30, 2012

My wife and I wanted a romantic getaway over the Christmas break and the Herlong Mansion seemed to fit the bill. Having never stayed in a B&B, we chose the Carriage House because it looked like a cute little cottage removed from the main house. Big mistake.

This is not a review for the main house. From what we saw of it, the fixtures, cleanliness and attention to detail were pretty good. But the Carriage House looked like it had been renovated decades earlier by a home handyman who made frequent trips to Home Depot and Walmart. All fixtures were either plastic, painted wood or the lowest quality metal do dads from Home Depot. The cheap wood flooring was reminiscent of public housing and terribly scratched and dirty at the doorway. The "kitchen" had an ancient bar fridge that hummed and shook all night, with a cheap sink and cutouts for stove elements on top. There were no elements. There was also no coffee maker (the owners were afraid it would be stolen), no cutlery, no plates, no cups, no anything.

There was a nice corner jacuzzi tub but the tile was 99 cent stuff from the Depot and both here and in the bathroom it was cracked and just basically crummy. The bathroom floor grouting was dirty and the mirrors were faded, rusted, chipped and hung with cheap screws into the drywall. Because of the tub there was no room for a table except for the tiny one under the equally tiny 19" flat screen Emerson monitor that passed for a TV and had terrible reception on all of the 30 basic channels (at least 3 of which were shopping channels).And let's not get into the stained sheets, hole in the towel and no housekeeping.

Breakfast was fun because we sat at the big table in the window and conversed with two other couples staying there. But the actual breakfast was a plate put in front of us that included some scrambled egg, a puddle of grits, a 1.5 inch slice of Polish sausage and peach cake. This struck me as very Victorian because I immediately associated with Oliver Twist.

If the purpose was to recreate the experience of stable boy and girl in 19th century Florida, the owners succeeded admirably, but this was not what I was expecting when I shelled out my 400 bucks for two nights. In it's present state, the Carriage House is worth about $79/night, not $179 plus tax. I stay in hotels a lot for business and the competition out there is fierce. On the other hand, if the purpose is to give the guest a taste of Victorian style accommodation but with all the comforts of a high priced getaway, then I would close the Carriage House, hire a designer to do a proper job of renovating, and work on improving the breakfast.

Room Tip: This should be evident.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Stephen A
KiKiManhattan, Owner at Herlong Mansion Bed and Breakfast Inn, responded to this reviewResponded June 7, 2013

We are completely overhauling the Carriage House - Removing Dated Kitchen-Wood Floors totally redone- new bathroom fixtures,light and mirror and new grout throughout. Plus A New King Bed replacing the Queen size.

Reviewed September 24, 2012

We had a romantic and lovely experience at the Herlong Mansion. The historic inn stands noble and beautiful in its sleepy and charming town. The inside is inviting, stately, solid, warm and whimsical. The owner/staff have a wonderful sensitivity towards their guests, respecting their privacy, but providing delightful converation, and incredible suggestions on where to eat and what to do. What we felt the most impressed about our stay is that this was a mansion without any pretentiousness. The owner/staff are warm, lovely, and kind.The rooms inviting, comfortable, and enjoyable. We will return!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Christine F
Reviewed August 26, 2012

What a find! Beautiful mansion! The front balcony porch was enough to get me back! Everything very clean and neat. Didn't need for anything. Food was good. People were incredibly friendly, but didn't bug you if you wanted privacy. Rooms furnishings were old world charming, but the beds were great, and the water was hot, No problem with old plumbing! I can't wait to back. Not sure what "EnidBetty" wanted, but don't believe her. The place was a treasure.

Room Tip: Really look at the website and ask when you book. All rooms were different sizes, and some had day...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Deb C
Also consider these accommodations in or near Micanopy
DoubleTree by Hilton Gainesville
Home2 Suites by Hilton Gainesville
Hilton University of Florida Conference Center Gainesville
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Gainesville
Comfort Inn University
Comfort Inn University
#8 of 46 in Gainesville
Sleep Inn & Suites University/Shands

Been to Herlong Mansion Bed and Breakfast Inn? Share your experiences!