“A Hidden Gem”

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating
Gainesville, Florida
“A Hidden Gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

Like the antique stores and old village surrounding the eatery, Roberto's Italian Eatery is worth finding and staying to eat! You have to look for it - it is a little yellow house in a complex of 3-4 antique shops. It is on the right side of the road (if you are heading south), just north of McIntosh, FL. The service was a little slow, but perhaps this is because all meals are cooked to order, and the food was definitely worth the wait. Besides, there was wonderful live music (acoustic guitar) that we thoroughly enjoyed, so we did not mind the wait.

My husband got the salmon with gorgonzola and balsamic vinegar reduction special, and I got the chicken parmesan. Both were outstanding - served in an attractive manner and cooked to perfection. My appetizer, the bean soup, was very good. Since I am not a fan of bean soups, I expected to taste it and pass it on to my husband, but I kept it and ate every single drop of it. The tiramisu I ordered for dessert was a little different than I expected, but if one stirs it up so that the "crust" at the bottom of the dish gets mixed in with the rest of the dessert, it is delectable.

We stopped in here on a "backroads" trip from seeing the Braves play (and win) in Kissimmee/Orlando to home in Gainesville, FL and after our wonderful dinner experience we headed home - the perfect end to a perfect day! We decided this was our new "go to" place when we want a spcial night out together. Also, the price was very reasonable - we both had our appetizers, our entrees, tea, and dessert and the bill was around $50.00 including tip.

They are not open every day, so check their facebook page for times, days, and menu specials.

The only downside is that only one of the waitresses seemed to be a "regular". We had the impression that part of the wait staff were "filling in", but nonetheless, our water/tea glasses were kept filled and, like I said earlier, the slow service was not a problem for us since the music was great, the food was fantastic, and we were enjoying a leisurely day.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank Eagle75-76

Gainesville, Florida
“Really good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013

This was our first time - what a pleasant surprise. It was the best Italian food we have had in the area. This is not fast food, everything is prepared to order. The food was excellent, the presentation was nice and the atmosphere was pleasant.

It is worth the drive from Gainesville.

• Visited March 2013
Gainesville, Florida, USA
“Amazing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013

My wife and I were celebrating our anniversary weekend and we were told to try Robertos. At first glance it looks like nothing special. A simple conversion of a home into a restraunt. Heard good things but honestly was almost dissapointed when we first pulled up. I thought to myself "This is a great Italian restraunt?". The old addage Dont judge a book by its cover ABSOLUTELY applies here. The inside is cozy and perfect for a couple. The food did take a little while to come out but only because everything is made to order and they were short a cook. The wait was worth every second. The food is almost mind blowingly good. I dont normally have a taste for italian food but this place blew me away. Everything being made to order and made fresh is something that absolutely makes the food stand out. I tried the world famous lasagna and must say that it was the best lasagna that i have ever had. The chowder that they had was amazing and was simply one of the best places i've had the pleasure of eating at. Roberto (the owner) even came out and was talking with customers and checking up on them. When he found out it was our anniversary he even gave us complimentary wine and later toasted us with Italian Sambuko. It was fantastic and made our night even better. We will definately take the drive to go out there again without a doubt.

• Visited February 2013
Vilano Beach, Florida
“GREAT food if you get served! Very poorly managed!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2013

I had to rate it this low because the owner needs to learn to manage this eatery in a more professional way. The service has much to be desired and he needs to be more prepared for lack of employees not showing up or quitting or hire better help. We keep going back only because the food is excellent but after our last visit we will not be going back. Owner is now working on his third chef in the 14 months since he open this eatery. Unfortunately we went on the night the second cook quit. We made reservations @ 7 pm. Arrived 7:01. Place was packed full. Been there before when it is this busy and we knew we would be there for a long wait. They cannot handle a full house. At 7:20 waitress asks us if we know what we want. Husband repies you haven't even given us a menu yet. Notice several tables asking where's our food? Roberto comes out of kitchen and says his cook quit be patient. Ok. Salad arrives my I ask for parmesan cheese, never got it. Now it's 8 pm no food. Be patient please. 9 pm Still no food. Several couples left. At 9:30 we're given 2 $10 gift certificates and the waitress told me, my husband, dad and his friend you're be next in 10 mins. 10 pm several tables left. As people left without being served we patiently watch as others slowly were served and we should have been next. At 10:10pm 1 table who waited outside an hour after we arrived and was seated and after us was served next ....bye bye. NEVER again. We left the gift certificates and left. This is our 4th time we have experience favoritism with regulars and have been put aside. We will never go back and as Dad quoted when we left that in his 79 years he never has experienced anything like it. I do have to say the food is 5 star all the way but it is a shame how this place is very poorly managed!!
I had to rate it this low because the owner needs to learn to manage this eatery in a more professional way. The service has much to be desired and he needs to be more prepared for lack of employees not showing up or quitting or hire better help. We keep going back only because the food is excellent but after our last visit we will not be going back. Owner is now working on his third chef in the 14 months since he open this eatery. Unfortunately we went on the night the second cook quit. We made reservations @ 7 pm. Arrived 7:01. Place was packed full. Been there before when it is this busy and we knew we would be there for a long wait. They cannot handle a full house. At 7:20 waitress asks us if we know what we want. I reply you haven't even given us a menu yet. Notice several tables asking where's our food? Roberto comes out of kitchen and says his cook quit be patient. Ok. Salad arrives my wife asks for parmesan cheese, never got it. Now it's 8 pm no food. Be patient please. 9 pm Still no food. Several couples left. At 9:30 we're given 2 $10 gift certificates and the waitress told my wife, dad and his friend you're be next in 10 mins. 10 pm several tables left. As people left without being served we patiently watch as others slowly were served and we should have been next. At 10:10pm 1 table who waited outside an hour after we arrived and was seated and after us was served next ....bye bye. NEVER again. We left the gift certificates and left. This is our 4th time we have experience favoritism with regulars and have been put aside. We will never go back and as Dad quoted when we left that in his 79 years he never has experienced anything like it. I do have to say the food is 5 star all the way but it is a shame how this place is very poorly managed!! My last review I chose not to comment on the negative’s we experienced in the past because the food outweighed the negatives. I just cannot over look this last experience there.

• Visited January 2013
Tampa, Florida
“Fantastic Fish, Friendly Folks!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2012

Looking for a hearty, tasty meal in a friendly atmosphere? Check out Roberto's Italian Eatery near Micanopy & McIntosh, Florida. We stayed at the Herlong Mansion this weekend where breakfast is provided and got a great recommendation for dinner. My fish stew came on a platter with pasta and was enough to feed 2 hungry adults. The wait staff is attentive and the other customers were like our new extended family. The guitar player provided just the right touch, not too loud & oh so sweet! Loved it!

• Visited November 2012