“Friendly, Newer, Nice”

Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Miami Lakes
Universal
“Friendly, Newer, Nice”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2007

On a busy holiday weekend, they took me directly off the street (walk-in). OK a bit pricey to me, the entire area is - but very accomadating. Clean, fairly quiet. Very helpful staff...perhaps not terribly knowegable...but they trip over themselves if they can try to do anything for you. (I see this is the same weekend someone else had problems, which I don't understand.).

I walked in because the Shula Hotel was a complete dump. A small, terrible room, old and dirty...(I mean maybe 10 years since remodel), entire place is simply old and tired. Was probably modern when he was coaching. They would not change my room or anything, as they "had a group coming". This Marriot complete opposite.

I can now tell that La Qunita is a good, perhaps cheaper option in area too.

• Liked — Best in area..Clean, modern, all around what a modern middle level Marriott is
  • Disliked — A bit pricey, especially with all the taxes, for a room in a not vacation or beach area of Florida
  • Tips/Secrets — Probably bst to ask for courtyard side...quieter? Good resaturants & services very close
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank IamLostRU

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2007

We were checked into a room that mildew, went to the front desk to see if we could get a room different room. The agent looks at my account, and says "I'm sorry; because you're under a discounted rate the computer won't let me change you to another room." I've stayed at hotels all throughout the world, and have never heard that before. The agent asked us to wait in the lobby for the other agent to come back, and maybe she'll have other options for us. She asked us to wait 20 minutes in the lobby just for a room change! I don't know if she just couldn't find the same room type we requested, which was a wheelchair accessible room, or if she was incapable of unblocking & re blocking rooms. The point is, I felt like she was dishonest with me, because she eventually calls the other agent & then let's us know that the room we were just in, was the only accessible room left. No big deal, I ask her if she can give us a non accessible room, because the room we were in was just intolerable, even though a non accessible room would be uncomfortable for my boyfriend because he's in a wheelchair. The agent manages to move me to a non accessible room... Here I'm thinking, "I thought you couldn't move me because I'm under a associate rate?" We head to the new room, and the smell wasn't much better, but much better than the first room. We get a knock on the door, from the agent that checked us in, not the one that was giving us trouble. She tells me she has a accessible room, & asked me if I wanted to take a look at it. I looked at it, and felt my boyfriend would be comfortable in the accessible room. She tells me the room doesn't have a roll-in shower, but the first room we had did have one. I told her that it would be perfectly fine. I was wondering why they didn't give me that option before. The agent at the desk could have said, "I can put you in another accessible room, however this room doesn't have a roll-in shower." This would have saved us a lot of time, and the experience would have turned out differently. No hotel's perfect, but we would've returned if the SERVICE was more efficient.

• Liked — Not too far from the Dolphin's Stadium
  • Disliked — Service
  • Tips/Secrets — Whenever you stay at a hotel, always fill out a comment card at the end of your stay. It really does make a difference in the rating of the hotel.
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
4 Thank dOrKsHiReHaM
New York City
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2006

I recently stayed at the Marriott Courtyard in Miami Lakes. My stay was perfect till the time came to check out. I saw that the price I was charged per night wasn't the same price I reserved the room for on the Marriott website. I tried telling the ladies at the front desk that I reserved for $99 a night but I was being charged $149 for my final night. The ladies tried to tell me that the price had gone up because it was a holiday weekend, but I tried telling them that the price I reserved the room at on the website was the price I intended to pay when I got to the hotel. After getting no where with the front desk staff I called Marriott Customer Service who told me that I should've been charged the original price of $99. They called the hotel and I ended up getting all of my money refunded {$149} thereby a free night.

The Marriott Courtyard is also located within walking distance to several restaurants, {Cancun Grill, Outback Steakhouse, Papa John's Pizza, Subway, KFC} supermarkets, {Winn Dixie} and banks {Bank of America}.

• Stayed May 2006
4 Thank Kingofqueens18
A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2005

I was in staying at the hotel for business because it claims to be specialized for the business traveller. I was a little disappointed with the quality of the room for the price and built-up expectations on the Marriott website for the hotel.

Good: free internet connection in room (ethernet), room was nice size, good desk to work at, quiet location, strip mall & grocery store 5-minute walk away (includes a few restaurants), comfortable bed.

Bad: no refrigerator in room, wireless was 25 cents per minute!!; in business center, only 1 internet hookup available (not business oriented if there is only 1??); no hair conditioner in room (only shampoo), room smelled/feeled musty; no thermostat on A/C (old style, either on or off).

I would recommend eating breakfast at Brothers of Brooklyn in the strip mall if you just want a basic breakfast with diner feel & price. The hotel offered a buffet but I did not try it. Free fresh-baked cookies upon check-in was a nice bonus though. Bottom line: I would give Don Shula's a try before I stay here again.

• Stayed November 2005, traveled on business
Hotel Indigo Miami Lakes
Hotel Indigo Miami Lakes
#2 of 4 in Miami Lakes
TownePlace Suites Miami Lakes
Holiday Inn Express Miami-Hialeah (Miami Lakes)
Hampton Inn & Suites Ft Lauderdale / Miramar

Been to Courtyard Miami Lakes? Share your experiences!