WINNER WONDERLAND

“Excellent value, good condition” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Shula's Golf Club

Shula's Golf Club
More attraction details
Owner description: The Senator Course at Shula's Golf Club is a classic style course located in the serene town of Miami Lakes. Sprawling over 500 tree shaded acres, players of all skill levels will be challenged by 18 holes, Par 72 championship course. Known as one of Miami's best Championship Golf Courses, The Senator Course is unlike the typical hotel golf course. Originally designed of Bill Watts in 1962 and later updated in 1998 by nationally recognized Golf Course Architect Kipp Schulties, is the perfect destination for great golf.
Cary, North Carolina
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Excellent value, good condition”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2013

Played Don Shula's golf several times over the past 5 years. While the entrance and parking look run down, the course is in good shape. Greens, tees and fairways are smooth with no weeds. Layout is interesting. first nine are easier then second nine with water on nearly every hole. Staff is friendly. The key here is value. It's not the Doral, but you can play 4 or 5 times for the cost of one round at the nearby Doral. Use it as a warm up, then drop $175+ at the Doral later in the week.

Visited April 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
El Paso, Texas
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Great course and great value”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2013

I have been to this course many times and it is a great place to play. It's tough, but not too frustrating. Also, there is always the chance of running into celebs playing the course.

Visited March 2013
Ontario, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“It was just okay”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2013

I'm a fairly avid golfer but I'm not a pro by any means. I enjoy a well kept course, and although I didn't expect a great course at Shula', it was pretty dry and not really well kept. The people were nice, and the 2 singles we were paired up with were nice as well. The course itself was somewhat disappointing. It was nice to be out golfing in January (I live in Canada) but I don't think I would go back to Shula's. It's really not worth the price.

Visited January 2013
Kenny F, Manager at Shula's Golf Club, responded to this review, March 2, 2013
Ms. Natalie L,

Thank you for your comments from your recent visit to Shula's Golf Club. I apologize that the golf course did not meet your standards. I hope that you enjoyed our greens. They have been in superb shape all season. I'm glad to hear that the staff treated you well. We take great pride in providing a high level of service to our guests. We had some weakend fairways due to the record amounts of rainfall we experienced over the summer. This prevented us from treating weeds and applying fertilizer. We have been applying heavy amounts of fertilizer during the winter months to accelerate the growth rate of the grass. The conditions are continuing to improve. We have plans for major renovations to the golf course this summer. As a Canadian resident, you can book via the Canadian Golf Pass through our website for discounted rates. I hope that you will visit us next season after our renovations.
San Francisco
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Go for the steaks, skip the golf”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2013

Don't be fooled like I was. I thought, Don Shula, great steaks, classy and respectable guy the course has to be decent if not great. Wow was I wrong.

I almost paid $90 to play this track and would have demanded a refund had I. I was able to get the resident rate of $67 and even that was too high. On the plus side the greens were in good shape, the starter and bag attendants were all really nice but I can't say much else positive about this place. The range is a joke (I think there's an abandoned building behind it), decrepit cart paths, patchy fairways, poorly maintained / mowed rough and what happened to the nice white sand in miami? It's definitely not in the bunkers at Shula's.

Save yourself the frustration of over paying for an at-best mediocre golf experience and go somewhere else. I gave it 2 stars because of the people and greens but considered less.

Visited January 2013
1 Thank Mr_Beef_SF
Kenny F, Manager at Shula's Golf Club, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Mr. Beef,

Thank you for your review of Shula's Golf Club. I apologize that the golf course did not meet your standards. We have plans for major renovations to the golf course this summer. I'm glad to hear that the service and greens were to your liking. We have experienced some weaker fairways this year due to record amounts of rainfall in teh SOuth Florida area last year. We have increased our fertilizer applications this winter to help alleviate this problem. I hope that your travels take you back to Miami and that you will be able to visit us again after our renovations. Thanks again for your feedback.
BAY SHORE
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 148 helpful votes
“Mediocre Golf at a snail's pace”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2012

The pro shop & clubhouse are fine. The starter's staff is nice. But, groups are put out too closely, and no one bothers to move slow groups along. We quit because the back nine was taking 30 minutes a hole. The driving range is the most miserable range I have ever seen. The course would be ok if they made any effort to keep play moving, but they don't. For this reason, I would recommend against playing here. The area is also seedy.

3 Thank WordlyTraveler44
Kenny F, Manager at Shula's Golf Club, responded to this review, April 13, 2012
WordlyTraveler44 - Thank you for your review of Shula's Golf Club. While pace of play is an ongoing challenge for many golf courses, especially on busy days, it is a key component to a guest's experience. I apologize if the pace was too slow for you and that a ranger did not speak to your group. I recognize that the back nine is harder than the front nine and can play slower at times. Our rangers have been trained to monitor pace of play and work on groups that appear to be out of position on the golf course. I am not sure if the back nine had cart restrictions on the day you played. I know that cart path only resrtictions will slow down pace of play. We schedule groups to go out at 7 and 8 minute intervals. We will continue to monitor pace of play, search for ways to improve pace on busier than normal days, and re-train staff on how to handle pace of play. Thanks again for your feedback.