“Orange Bowl Trip”

Shula's Hotel & Golf Club
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Miami Lakes
Reviewed January 8, 2014

First time staying and would highly recommend. All the staff were very helpful from the valet to the desk clerks to the housekeeping staff. If in the area again we will definitely stay at Shula's again.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
JFerbeyre, Manager at Shula's Hotel & Golf Club, responded to this reviewResponded January 12, 2014

Nancy R - Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your recent experience at Shula's Hotel. We hope you had an equally enjoyable experience at the Orange Bowl and we look forward to being of service to you in the near future.

Thanks again and safe travels

Reviewed January 2, 2014 via mobile

We booked this room through last minute.com and got a fairly good deal.
PRO's:
-Location was perfect for our business needs located close to major highways
- Sports facilities, the gym was probably one of the best I have visited and we would return due to this. There is also a fantastic jogging route.
-Rooms were clean and bed was comfortable (apart from fighting with sheets every night)
CON's:
- Internet is poor which I find unacceptable in this day and age..I needed to join a conference call and was unable to connect via cable or wifi. I ended up using Starbucks about 5 mins away. Please sort this out!!!
- Lacks of towels, there seemed to be a towel shortage as 2 nights in a row we were given no towels. A little frustrating when you've been out working for 14 hours and you want a shower without having to wait for clean linen at midnight!
- Linen, please purchase sheets that fit the bed..every night we ended up on the bare mattress (unacceptable) due to the sheets coming away from the corners
- Room move, we had an issue with the first room allocated. It was interconnecting and I will not stay in an room that has a single door into a strangers room. The staff member dealt with this poorly when I asked to move, I was basically told we have nothing until day 5 of a 7 day stay (excuse me?) I was told everyone had checked in ( this was not correct) I was then asked if I wanted to see the blocked rooms report since I didn't believe her (excuse me?) it was only after 15 mins of waiting and the assistance of another staff member did we get another room. The staff handled the situation badly.

Overall not a bad hotel but please sort out your internet it's 2014!!!

Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
JFerbeyre, Manager at Shula's Hotel & Golf Club, responded to this reviewResponded January 5, 2014

LohraC - Thank you for sharing your recent experience with us at Shula's Hotel and we apologize for some of the experiences you encountered during your stay. We are reviewing your comments with our team in order to ensure these types of issues are averted in the future. We also understand the importance of a reliable internet access source and are currently working on enhancements to our system. We were glad to hear that you enjoyed our athletic club and some other aspects of you experience. We look forward to having another opportunity to be of service to you again in the near future.

Thanks again and safe travels.

Reviewed December 30, 2013

I have the opportunity to stay at Shula's two or three times a year, and I really look forward to staying there. It's right off the Palmetto Expressway, in a great part of town, and yet pretty close to downtown Miami. The amenities are unique, and the sports memorabilia must be seen to be appreciated.
However, it is the staff that sets Shula's apart. Ask a favor and it will happen! They are friendly, kind and really helpful. Such a different feel from the downtown Miami hotels...and so very worth it!

Room Tip: An inside room gives you a great view of the courtyard. And don't forget to ask about Indigo...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business

Mark P - We appreciate your loyalty to Shula's and always look forward to being of service to you.

Reviewed December 27, 2013

1. I stayed here for a week a couple of weeks ago for work and had some problems. When I went to check into the hotel after 4pm, I was told that my room was not ready yet. Since I was a customer of a company that housed all their students here all the time, how could the hotel not know what customers were coming and roughly what time they would be arriving. Eventually there were over 6 customers sitting in the lobby, waiting for their rooms. This was not a one time occurrence as I heard another group get told the same thing the next afternoon. why would a hotel repeatedly have the same problem?
2. The room was okay, but I found my sliding door did not lock, I had to work at aligning the catch but was able to fix it. I would say this is a safety concern.
3. The hotel had a nice pool, but it was only open from dawn to dusk. Since I was in class in November, i was out of the hotel from dawn to dusk, so obviously I could not use the pool. I realize that a pool can noisy, but I still feel that adding a few hours to the open times would have been beneficial.
4. I realize that this hotel was founded on the premise of sports, and that the on-site restaurant was supposed to be a sports bar, but it would be nice if there was a quiet area of the restaurant away from the TV's where someone who is not a sports fanatic could relax and talk or read a book. The
TV's were even on news in the morning.
5. Although most of the employees were nice, one of the women behind the front desk was rude to several of the people I heard her talk to. It may have been a very stressful time for her, but it was also stressful for the customers whose rooms were not available after long flights to get there.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the courtyard had nice views.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Michtraveler_12

Michtraveler_12 - Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us and for allowing us an opportunity to review some of the items you mentioned. Guest insight is a valuable tool to us and we appreciate your comments. We are reviewing what you have shared to see if we can effect some changes to continue to enhance guest experience in the restaurant and pool area. We do apologize for the experience you had with one of our front desk team members and hope this was an isolated experience during your stay. Our focus is to provide simply great service and it is disappointing to hear this. Hoping the remainder of your stay met or exceeded your expectations and we look forward to being of service to you in the near future.

Reviewed December 19, 2013

Miami Lakes is a lovely residential area; but it's in the middle of nowhere. If you're going to Sunlife Stadium and that's the primary reason for your visit to this area, it's an OK place to stay. The hotel is clean but loud hallway and outside noise kept waking us up. The a/c unit sounded like a mac truck every time it turned on, I mean it was ridiculously loud. Last but not least, they try to put a queen size fitted sheet on a king size bed. Every time you move, the sheet would "pa-twang" off the mattress and smack you in the head. Oh, don't expect clean towels the next day unless you ask for them. The housekeeper left our used, damp towels on the hook ready to be used the next morning, really?? A mehtza place to stay but again, conveniently located to the stadium and no where else.

Room Tip: I don't think any room is better than another......
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family

PAABOO - A belated thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Shula's Hotel with us. We apologize for some of the items you encountered during your stay. We have since identified the linen issue and have made the necessary changes to avoid future occurrences. Again, we apologize for this and we hope to have another opportunity in the near future to turn this experience around.

Thanks again and safe travels

Reviewed December 18, 2013

The hotel staff was super friendly and professional. My husband and I ended up staying an extra night and they accommodated us with no problem. Shula's Steak 2 is a great place to eat or just have a drink. The food is good and the prices are not bad.The bartenders and servers were all wonderful. The only food that wasn't that great was the breakfast buffet. The meats were super salty and the pancakes and french toast were rock hard. Overall, it was a nice stay and we will most likely return.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Xtina L - We wanted to extend a belated thank you for sharing your review of Shula's Hotel on Tripadvisor. We were happy to hear you and your husband enjoyed your stay. We have also shared your comments with our team and are taking a look at our breakfast buffet to ensure it is consistent and meets guest expectations. Thank you again for sharing and we look forward to your next visit.

Safe Travels

Reviewed December 3, 2013

I like the hotel overall and have stayed once before, albeit in a different building. The area is nice and the bar staff in Shulas2 are fun. I had specific problems on my recent stay over the week of Thanksgiving. The particular hallway outside room 1255 is far too noisy. It's near elevators and multiple entrances. At between 6:00 and 8:00 AM you can forget about sleeping. The cleaning crews pass through the hallway and sometimes hang out for loud chit chat. The window faces the parking lot and is a few feet from a walkway where carts are pushed by. So noise comes from both sides. So if you stay at Shula's and want a quiet room, make sure you are not in the "World Cup" building by the conference room entrance. The other comment I'll make is that $15.00 for the breakfast buffet is over the top, especially since you're paying for lukewarm scrambled eggs and sausage. Thankfully McDonald's is a mile away.

Room Tip: There is no room service in Shula's, only take out available from the bar.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
Courtyard Miami Lakes
#2 of 4 in Miami Lakes
La Quinta Inn & Suites Miami Lakes
Hampton Inn & Suites Ft Lauderdale / Miramar
Holiday Inn Express Miami-Hialeah (Miami Lakes)

Been to Shula's Hotel & Golf Club? Share your experiences!