“A fantastic place to stay!”

Shula's Hotel & Golf Club
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Miami Lakes
Lutz, Florida, United States
“A fantastic place to stay!”
Reviewed February 16, 2012

I cannot say enough great things about Shula's! Great facilities (the Fitness Center is amazing); excellent restaurants, great staff with superb service. If you need to be anywhere in the Miami area, go out of your way to stay here!

Room Tip: Inside rooms offer a great view of the courtyard
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
JFerbeyre, Manager at Shula's Hotel & Golf Club, responded to this review, April 1, 2012
Mark P - We appreciate the kind words and are glad to hear you had a great Shula experience. We are in the process of some great changes at Shula's and hope you have another opportunity to stay with us and experience these changes.

Thanks again and safe travels

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
  • Turkish first
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed February 13, 2012

I enjoyed my stay at this hotel. My first floor room was very clean and comfortable. The firmness of the matress suited me. I slept well. The whole room looked brand new. I loved the faux wood floor and the wooden blinds covering the windows. There were two sinks in the room, one in the bathroom and one in the dressing area. I can imagine that a couple or family would find this arrangement to be quite handy. Complimentary copies of the Miami Herald are at the front desk (if you get there early). A full buffet breakfast with hot and cold offerings came with the room. The restaurant is sports themed with large screen televisions tuned to sports channels all day (even in the morning when one might prefer news and weather). There was no concierge at the desk set aside for that purpose during my stay. This hotel is adjacent to a shopping area containing specialty shops (including a fine stationery shop and a cigar shop), a small grocery and restaurants.

Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
TravelingProf47 - Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us here at Shula's. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and hope you have another opportunity to return in the near future. We are in the process of some wonderful upgrades in our hotel that we know you will enjoy.

Thanks again and safe travels.
Midwest
Reviewed February 12, 2012

I was booked at this property as part of a large supplier conference and spent two nights here. The check-in was smooth. The property itself is older as others have stated. However the common areas are well maintained including the lobby, hallways, bathrooms and restaurant bar areas and conference rooms. The room I was in was on main floor, which for me is typically not what I prefer when in a warm climate. Security and bugs being a concern of mine when on main floor.
The hotel room floor is a parquet type with an outside door leading to the pool area. The bed linens were acceptable and the bathroom was also OK. Not quite as rundown as others have noted but clearly their is a face lift needed here in certain areas.
I did have a disturbing experience at 1:30 AM the first night. Although I should mention this is not necessarily a reflection of this property. A palmetto bug (yes cockroach to us northerners) found its way into my bed and on my neck. I awoke startled and turned on all the lights to discover the intruder. It took ten minutes but he is in bug heaven now. I left his remains on the floor so housekeeping could see it. Possibly so more bug spray is required outside the room perimeters, however I am not a Florida bug expert by any means. It was disturbing and disgusting nonetheless. Shula's steakhouse was a hit. I did not have time to get to the workout area or golf unfortunately. Overall this hotel is typical 3 star (or 2.5) older, warm climate 70's style facility. What you see is what you get. I was happy to get back to Chicago and one of my favorite 4.5 star hotels however. My advice... stay on second floor

Room Tip: second floor please
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
imreading - Thank you for providing us with a review on Tripadvisor. We are sorry to hear about the experience you encountered on the first night but hope the remainder of your stay went well. We hope you have another opportunity to stay with us again after our renovation project is completed.

Thanks again and safe travels
Florida
Reviewed February 11, 2012

This place is in a kind of a touristy little alcove set into some busier streets, with its own little walking/driving mall just outside. It's got a Johnny Rockets and some other small jewelry shops, and ColdStonbe Creamery and Victorias shops along the street. Pretty much everything thast used to be in the mall. Alot of them are vacant though.
The rooms are not good though. You have to drag bags up and down 3 or 4 stairs in and out of the lobby area and then quite a walk outswide again and then back into one of the several wings that jut out in different directions to make up the hotel. I would not want to get lost carrying a bunch of luggage and kids in this place.
The WIFI is good in this room, but I dont know about the others.
You can tell they are putting a new dress on an older hotel here. There are still some pretty skanky throw back things around if you look. Old metal door frames and a skinny dark-ish hallway.
They do have new countertops in the bathrooms and some new fixtures which is nice, but the deal breaker for me was the hair on the bathroom floor. I hate hair on the floors of hotels. It just makes it obvious they didn't clean it and I hate that.

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank ord737fo
JFerbeyre, Manager at Shula's Hotel & Golf Club, responded to this review, February 22, 2012
ord737fo - Thank you for sharing your recent experience with us and do apologize for some of the room issues you encountered. We are in the process of starting the second phase of our renovation project and most of the issues you mentioned are being addressed. We understand a couple of the items are able to be addressed immediately and have already reviewed them with our housekeeping team. We appreciate you taking the time to share these with us and apologize if they caused you any inconvenience.

Thanks Again and Safe Travels
New York City
Reviewed February 7, 2012

The parking and room was good. However, only issue was the bathroom. There seemed to be mole/stains on floor and toilet tissue. I guess from humidity. We had the handicap room. Taking a shower, the water would leak out of shower because the bottom lip was about 1 inch. Understandable for handicap access. Just need to use the garbage can and rest it up againt shower curtain pushing shower curtain to not stick outside of 1 inch lip. Room was large and clean. Comfortable beds with a lot of pillows. It was just the bathroom that had some mole. Checkin was fast and friendly. We received two complimentary drink vouchers from the ladies during checkin. The bar restaurant looked clean. All we had was some drinks, didnt try food. All in all, nice hotel and about 20 minutes away from South Beach.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
JFerbeyre, Manager at Shula's Hotel & Golf Club, responded to this review, February 8, 2012
Art800 - Thank you for your recent review of Shula's Hotel & Golf Club and for sharing your experience with us. We apologize for the challenge with the shower curtain and appreciate your understanding that it is wheelchair accessible. Great to hear your stay went well and we look forward to your next visit.

Safe Travels
Franklin, Tennessee
Reviewed January 29, 2012

My husband and I stayed at Shula's Hotel while he was on a business trip. A colleague's secretary recommended we stay here. From looking at the photos and descriptions that are on the website, we were pretty excited. We booked 3 nights in the Signature Room. Well...
The view was of the parking lot and the place only has 3 floors so you're not really on any special limited access area like the website describes.

The bathroom... floor tile, walls, and shower were OBVIOUSLY from the early 90's. Grout was missing, the floor looked dingy. The shower head was about 10 years too old. It had one setting, which was actually quite painful. It felt like a garden spray hose. Every time I tried to adjust the setting, I had to adjust the water temp. The shower curtain was on one of the rounded rods that give you more room, but the curtain kept sliding towards the middle of the rod and water would get all over the bathroom floor. The sink in the shower/toilet room looked like the standard in a military facility with hardware that needed replaced or desperately cleaned.

The pool...small but clean. You have to take your own beach towel or use the towels from your room. There is a thatch roof covered area that probably served food and supplied towels back in the day, but it was run down and deserted. The rooms overlooking the pool are very close. I could hear the conversations of the people sitting on their balcony on the 3rd floor.

Food...we never did get our complimentary continental breakfasts. There was a sign directing us to a room on the third floor, but it was always locked. No one ever did help us figure that one out. Not too big of a deal since the complimentary breakfast included 1 muffin or 1 croissant with coffee or tea.

Staff...they were pleasant enough, I guess. For what we paid per night, we were expecting a little better treatment. I had to call down 2 days to request housekeeping after we had returned to our room and saw that no one had come to freshen it up.

The spa and fitness center...they are across the street from the hotel. Yes, you have to walk outside, go off the premises, cross the street and use the local public facilities. The fitness center is large and is open to the general public. It's like any run of the mill YMCA. Bring your own headset. The spa is Aveda sponsored. Small, decent. The only complaint was that the small, limited seating relaxation area is where the staff stores tea, coffee, water; wash glasses; drop off dirty towels and sheets. If you want to sit outside and relax, you better like tennis because the outdoor seating area backs up directly to the tennis courts.

Shula's steak 2 was the only okay part of the hotel. Even Shula's steakhouse, located off premises, was nice. Pricey, but nice. And if you've read any other reviews on the steakhouse, it does smell musty.
This place is an overpriced, run down, glorified Best Western.

Room Tip: Don't pay extra for the Signature or Patricia rooms, or junior suites. If you want to relax by t...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank snrbowers
JFerbeyre, Manager at Shula's Hotel & Golf Club, responded to this review, January 31, 2012
snrbowers - Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at Shula's Hotel & Golf Club. We are sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations but do appreciate you sharing this with us. We always look forward to hearing from our guests and value what they have to say about us. We know from recent reviews that we are in need of some renovations and have already initiated projects and look forward to completion in the summer/fall of 2012. Thank you again for your time.

Safe Travels

Travelers are raving about these Miami Lakes hotels

Reviewed January 28, 2012

I can hear the exact coversation the people in room next to me are having- walls made of cardboard!!! Front desk not picking up phone

• Stayed January 2012
2 Thank Alexandra J
Roj222 - We apologize for the inconvenience you encountered with noise in your room and not being able to have it addressed. We do hope the remainder of your stay met your expectations. Thank you for sharing your experience with us and we hope to have another opportunity to turn your recent experience around.

Safe Travels.
Stadium Hotel
Stadium Hotel
#1 of 1 in Miami Gardens
Hampton Inn & Suites Ft Lauderdale / Miramar
Holiday Inn Express Miami-Hialeah (Miami Lakes)

Been to Shula's Hotel & Golf Club? Share your experiences!