“We always go back”

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Miami Lakes
miami, fl
“We always go back”
Reviewed August 22, 2011

If you are visiting Miami for a sporting event @ Sun Life Stadium this is the hotel to stay in and for whatever other reason it's great too. The lobby, restaurant, pool and common areas are very pretty and well kept. The service is always good as the staff tries very hard to accomodate your needs and requests. They have a very nice restaurant and sports bar and a bakery. Just across the street is their gym and spa where you can use the gym at no cost while you are a guest. The pool and hot tub are nice particularly if you get one of the pool side rooms which back door opens right to the pool area. Great if you are staying there with your kids where the whole family can enjoy the pool and walk back into the room whenever its necessary. The hotel is located in a quiet and pretty suburb of Miami called Miami Lakes and its adjacent to Main Street, which is a nice shopping mall that has stores, restaurants and a movie theater. We have stayed here on several ocassions and its always been a pleasure. The rooms are nicely appointed with everything you'll need including a nice clean bathroom and a desk and chairs along with flat screen tv's. The pool area is unattended but they will gladly bring you out towels if you request them. You can get drinks in the bar inside and bring them out or you can bring your own drinks to the pool. Parking is free in a safe parking lot right on the hotel.

Room Tip: ask for a pool side room
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
  • Turkish first
Tequesta, Florida
Reviewed August 13, 2011

This hotel is in a great location - walking distance to a movie theatre, great restaurants and an icecream shoppe. The staff is very courteous. I've stayed here several times - and will stay here again next week. It's not horrible - but it's certainly not great either.

I'll start out by saying that my client foots the bill, so I was probably in the least expensive room in the hotel. I've stayed three times, and I'm always assigned in the wing that requires you to walk through the restaurant area to access your room. The rooms are very dark and you can't open the blinds because the parking lot is right there. The carpet is very worn and stained - and the room just feels dreary.

The lock on the door was faulty. After replacing my key several times, they sent someone (a maintenance person???) to assist with opening my door. He admitted that the locks just need to be replaced - but there was no offer to replace it or to move me to a room with a working lock.

Verizon users: you won't be able to get a signal in your room. You'll have to go outside to get a signal (hopefully, your lock will be operaitonal so that you don't get locked out each time you have to answer your phone - major pain).

I would recommend that you book an 'upgraded room'. I'm assuming that all of the better reviews are from people that payed for better rooms than I was in. Also, don't valet your car - you will have to hunt down someone each morning to retrieve it - and the self-parking is free anyway (I think).

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Kimmykay1964
Durham, North Carolina
Reviewed August 12, 2011

My husband and I stayed here during our 20th anniversary trip to attend a NY Mets vs. Florida Marlins game. The hotel is great, decorated tastefully, and quite comfortable in regards to the bed which is always important. For my husband and I being sports fans it was a dream seeing the football photos and other mementos throughout the lobby and in the restaurant. Our room had a balcony on it which over looked a beautifully landscaped grounds. There is a pool on site which looked small for the size of the hotel but inviting if your a swimmer. There are shops (high end) around the hotel if you want to walk around and browse or shop if thats your thing. There are a few resturants in walking distance and if you have a car there is a CVS, Publix not even 5 miles up the road and a few sit down resturants. We chose to eat in the Shula 2 SteakHouse the food the night we ate I ordered a fried chicken sandwich, I would pass on that however my husband chose the meatloaf and smashed potato meal and loved it. The staff were great and like I said you couldn't beat if for the value, give Don Shula a try if your ever in the Miami Lakes area.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Sunny Florida
Reviewed July 29, 2011

Since we have season tickets to the Dolphins, but live on the other coast, this has been our go to hotel in Miami. It is not that far from the stadium, has beautiful rooms, and probably the best Steakhouse in Miami.

Rooms are spacious, and the floor rooms go right out to the pool area. The pool area is great to meet up with friends and hangout with some beers and snacks.

I have stayed on just about every floor here, and each one has been perfect!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
JFerbeyre, Manager at Shula's Hotel & Golf Club, responded to this review, August 8, 2011
BakerBoysGirl - Shula's is the destination for all Dolphins home games and we love the energy that football season brings to South Florida. Thank you for making Shula's part of your football season travel plans and we look forward to an exciting year.

Go Dolphins!!!!!
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 29, 2011

I have a business [subsid of my UK business] near Miami Lakes, and started using Shula's over 10 years ago. Staff are always polite, very hepful and always smiling - bit like being in a family home. Food is excellent and rooms large clean and comfortable, albeit a little dark.
About 30 mins drive into South Beach and maybe 15 mins to coast, but thats no hassle if you have a car. Miami Lakes has definitely gone more upmarket over the years and there are quite a few good restaurants nearby, and an ice cream shop to die for! i don;t play golf, but some of my colleagues do - and there is a good course attached to hotel. there's also a fantastic Shula's health club which is free to residents.
We've tried other hotels but for value, comfort, service it can't be beaten - so we are settled with Shula's now.

Room Tip: All romms are quiet, but upper floors overlooking inner gardens and pool best.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
peterdstokes - Thank you for making Shula's part of you travel plans for the past 10 years. We appreciate your description of Shula's as being in a family home. We consider a lot of our guests as family and it is always nice to hear this from our guests as well. Miami Lakes has developed over the years and there are plenty of dining and shopping choices near the hotel. And yes, our athletic club is fantastic and is complimentary to all our guests.

Wishing you safe travels over the Atlantic and look forward to your many more visits to Shula's.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed July 28, 2011

I was treated like royalty the whole five days I stayed there "SOLO"!! Great resort to go and relax, swim, exercise, yoga, meditate, eat, massage at the spa, and sleep!!!! The Hotel is beautiful. I had consider staying at another Hotel near by. I am so glad I chose this Hotel it gave me everything I needed for this personal get away!! Great restaurants surrounding the hotel, a movie theather, grocery store, Sushi restaurant right across the street and other shopping areas!! I was graced with a balcony!!! It was wonderful, this hotel is good as well if you want to bring your children!!! House keeping was wonderful!
My only complaint is that they charge additional $10 per night for a microwave..

Room Tip: I enjoyed my balcony looking over the pool!!!
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
realitycanbe - Thank you for choosing Shula's Hotel for your recent getaway and for the wonderful comments you provided regarding your stay. We were glad to hear you took in many of the activities that are available at Shula's and enjoyed them all. If you find yourself needing another much needed getaway please do not hesitate to call Shula's.

Thank you again and safe travels.
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed July 28, 2011

The sheets were the "scritchy, overbleached" sheets of generally lower quality hotels. And the room was a bit smaller than I anticipated based on the website pictures.

The staff was very friendly and helpful. We had a problem with someone, um, "borrowing" our "Please Do Not Disturb" tag and they provided a new one quickly.

It being Miami, it seems that English was a second language for anyone not on the front desk.

Shula's steak house was OK. Not as great as I expected, but I'd eat there again.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
ProfShadow - Thank you for posting your review of Shula's Hotel. We are sorry to hear that your experience did not meet your expectations but appreciate the feedback. We have shared your comments with our team and look forward to having another opportunity to have you as our guest.

Thank you again and safe travels.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Miami Lakes
Hotel Indigo Miami Lakes
Hotel Indigo Miami Lakes
#2 of 4 in Miami Lakes
Courtyard Miami Lakes
Courtyard Miami Lakes
#3 of 4 in Miami Lakes
La Quinta Inn & Suites Miami Lakes
Holiday Inn Express Miami-Hialeah (Miami Lakes)
Hampton Inn & Suites Ft Lauderdale / Miramar
TownePlace Suites Miami Lakes

Been to Shula's Hotel & Golf Club? Share your experiences!