“Good Stay for Four Nights”

Beacon South Beach Hotel
Ranked #56 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed January 30, 2013

Just returned from a four night stay at the Beacon Hotel in South Beach and we had a great time.

Location:
The hotel is right on Ocean Drive in the heart of the Art Deco district. Lummus Park and the beach are directly across the street. The Art Deco Information Centre is at 10th Ave, which is a max 5-minute walk from the hotel. Mango’s, The Clevelander and Palace Bar – three major bar/hangouts are within a 7 – 10 minute walk. The Beacon hotel is about a 25-minute walk to the shops on Lincoln Ave, a scenic walk if you stay on Ocean. There is also a local 25-cent bus you can take but because we enjoyed walking we never ventured on the bus. The hotel staff can call/arrange taxi for you. Parking – I cannot provide details as we did not have a car but we did notice valet parking at curbside. Paid street parking (metered) is available (just watch the sprinkling cycle in the morning).

Rooms:
We had Room 321. This is a room on the outside wing. We asked for two double beds. The room was tidy, clean, not too spacious (about a foot and a half distance between the beds and a foot on either side). The bathroom was clean, updated but nothing fancy. Lots of towels, toiletries replenished daily. The room also had a minibar and in-room safe, a mirror in the bathroom and in the room, a clock radio where you can recharge your iTouch. The closet was enough for a couple of days stay. It also has two beach chairs; beach towels provided daily and ironing board with iron. Lots of light during the day and the bathroom lighting (pot lights) was also good. The room has a ‘humid climate’ smell when you first enter but nothing obscene and once the air conditioning (which is a bit noisy) is on, the smell dissipates. The beds are comfortable with plenty of soft pillows. There is no coffee maker in the room but there really isn’t any need. On the mezzanine there is coffee, tea and hot chocolate provided in the morning and lemonade in the afternoon.

Staff:
We were promptly greeted and served even when we came in late (well past midnight). We were told about all the amenities and provided with a key. They did want a $100 deposit on a credit card for any incidentals. This was refunded on our departure (as we did not have any incidentals). Breakfast is included each morning between 9 and 11. We had to go to the front counter and get our ‘card’ with our room number printed on it and then were seated by the staff out front. There are seven choices for the free breakfast and it was adequate for me (someone who is not a huge eatert). Also, you are served a beverage with breakfast. Service is good and quick. There is free wifi in the room and lobby and it was good (reliable and fast). On our last day we asked for a late checkout and this was no problem (probably because they weren’t booked solid). They even provided us with complimentary water bottle upon departure. The staff was friendly and willing to answer questions.

Final Thoughts:
We got a Hotwire deal for this hotel and were satisfied with the price we paid. I would’ve been disappointed if we had paid the list price. I certainly think the location and staff are the main assets for this hotel. We enjoyed our stay and I would have no hesitation staying here again if I were to return and get the same rate.

Room Tip: We stayed in a room (321) in the side wing (outside) and had no issues with noise (except the A/C) f...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
BeaconSoBe, General Manager at Beacon South Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 10, 2013

Thank you for your recent visit at the Beacon Hotel and for taking your valuable time to highlight your comments.

I am very pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay with us. I will make sure to share your positive comments with the entire Beacon team.

We do look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back at the Beacon Hotel.

Elvis Taylor

Write a ReviewReviews (2,443)

Reviewed January 29, 2013

I picked this hotel because it had decent reviews but I had a bad experience there. The rooms are small and expensive. The outside noise from the people and the music was deafening. Worst of all, was the consistently awful service. I travel a lot and this is the worst hotel staff I have ever seen. I suggest you stay somewhere else.

1  Thank Coco H
Reviewed January 29, 2013

We saw smiles the second we stepped out of the taxi and onto the curb. Very inviting atmosphere. The front desk staff and concierge did everything in their power to make our stay wonderful! The hotel always looked and smelled clean and fresh! The bed was AMAZING! So need to replicate it at home! We traveled with our one year old daughter and even her crib's mattress and sheets were a little slice of heaven! Would without a doubt stay here again!

Room Tip: No swimming pool on site...but right across the road from beach entry. Hotel provides beach towels...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
BeaconSoBe, General Manager at Beacon South Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2013

Thank you so very much for choosing the Beacon Hotel as your preferred Hotel. I also thank you, on behalf of the entire Beacon team, for submitting such positive comments.

We are pleased to acknowledge that the Beacon Hotel had provided a delightful and memorable experience during your stay. I will make sure to share your kind words with our wonderful Beacon staff.

We are very proud to know that we will have the immense pleasure to host you again at the Beacon Hotel.

Kindest Regards,

Reviewed January 29, 2013

I've stayed here several times over the last several years and it just keeps getting better.

First-- the location on Ocean and 7th in South Beach is amazing! You can walk to everything. There are plenty of restaurants, shops, clubs etc. AND the beach is right across the street.

Second--the customer service is always excellent. I have seen many of the same people working the front desk over the years. They are unfailingly polite. You need only ask for something once and it is taken care of.

Third-- the rooms are very nice for South Beach. (Read not HUGE but bigger than others I have stayed at in SoBe.) The beds are beyond comfortable. I always sleep 7-8 hours a night--which is rare for me on the road. They also have a variety of pillows--depending on what type you want i.e. soft, hard.

Tip: We are big users and fans of social media, and if you are too, then you can benefit from discounts. "Like" the Beacon's Facebook page for a discount. I also recommend getting a room where the breakfast is included. This is a recent upgrade. There are maybe 8 offerings. We really liked the omelettes. (I preferred them without the hollandaise sauce.) The eggs and sausage combo with potatoes and toast was very good. I thought the french toast was good, not great. But considering this was a breakfast that was included in the price of the room--I thought it was very good!

Our room also included beach chairs and towels for the beach. (Renting a lounge on the beach would cost you $10.00/ day.) Also, if you like to play beach volleyball, like I do, the Beacon is right across the street from beach courts.

CUSTOMER SERVICE: I really appreciate good customer service. If you travel as much as I do, you know that this is rare. I love that when I check in, I am greeted warmly. I really like that I can ask for a recommendation for dinner- and the front desk will take the time to help me find exactly what I'm looking for. I asked for late check out and it was not a problem. At 10 am-- I asked for two cabs to the airport-- one at 1 and one at 3. It was taken care of. Both were there on time-- no waiting. A bellman was waiting for me to take my bags out to the car.

Other extras: They offer complimentary tea, coffee and water in an area beside the computer center, where guests can check email and print out boarding passes. There's also a business center and free wifi in the hotel. I have stayed here for business and pleasure and I have had great experiences each time.

This is South Beach, so sometimes people on your floor can be noisy. It was never so loud or late that it kept me from sleeping. But truly-- this is always a crap shoot no matter where you stay. It can just as easily be a family with a baby in a so-called quiet area as people celebrating in South Beach.

All in all-- I highly recommend staying at the Beacon Hotel in South Beach!

Room Tip: My understanding is that the 4th and 5th floors were recently redone. Please check pictures below. I...
Reviewed January 29, 2013

My husband and I arrived at the Beacon Hotel about 8.30am after getting off a cruise in Fort Lauderdale in mid-December. As it was so early we were just expecting to leave our luggage there and go out for the day while the room was being cleaned. We were so fortunate that they had a room available and allowed us to check in early. We really appreciated this and they could have made us wait until the afternoon check in time. At check in they also offered us the vouchers for the included breakfast but as we had just arrived from a cruise ship we had only just eaten breakfast so declined but it was still nice of them to offer as technically we shouldn't have been there on that morning for breakfast. We did enjoy the breakfast the following morning. You have it at the restaurant at the front of the hotel.
The room was good with a large king size bed. There was a huge range of television stations. While the idea is not to stay in the room and watch tv, we did enjoy the variety when we were there.
The bathroom was fine although I wasn't a particular fan of the glass door as you could still the see the outline of the person in there. Not a big deal but there are some places where complete privacy would be nice.
We made use of the beach chairs that are in the room which was very handy to have. It was lovely just going to sit on the beach in the sun for a while.
Our room was one floor up and we heard some low noise from the various bars and restaurants in the area but nothing to really disturb. It was really just some dull background noise every now and again.
The location of the hotel is great with the beach right across the road and all the restaurants and bars of Ocean Drive within walking distance.
The service at the hotel was the main highlight. I can't remember the names of the three people that I wanted to mention but they were fantastic. They were always so polite and helpful.
If we make it back to Miami Beach we will definitely be staying at this hotel again.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Poochie71

Thank you for your recent visit at the Beacon Hotel and for sharing such a wonderful review. We thank you for giving us the opportunity to be of service to you.
I do understand through your detailed comments that the Beacon Hotel succeeded in making your stay enjoyable. We will always do everything within our means to ensure that your needs and expectations are met.

We look forward to welcoming you back at the Beacon Hotel in the near future

Reviewed January 26, 2013

If you want to be in the middle of the party scene, you can't go wrong with this hotel. The rooms are nice and clean, the desk personnel friendly. I wasn't that thrilled with breakfast, but it was OK. I guess the strongest point of this hotel is the fact that it is right in Ocean Drive, so you can be partying in just seconds, or you can cross the street and find yourself enjoying the beach in no time. The rates were reasonable as well - note that the rooms are rather smalll, and that there is no view in the cheap ones.

All in all, a good value in South Beach, would probably go back there if on a budget.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 25, 2013

We stayed at this hotel during Art Basel Week. The hotel is right on touristy Ocean Drive and yes it can be a bit noisy during nights but isn't Miami about its world famous night life? We requested a fifth floor corner room and YES our request was granted. These rooms give you the best view of the beach, palm trees and the frenetic most well known street in Miami. The rooms could be small, but they are so well organized and modernly decorated that it definitely made up for the size matter. Just like in life, size does matter, but some things can way make up for it. Coming back from the beach or a club at 5 AM and stepping into the room with a really good A/C was just heaven. To make things even better I have to give credit to the staff. These guys really deserve an industry award for their excellence. They don't hesitate in finding the means to help you out. I would give the "Oscar" to that really nice Colombian lady at the front desk, I am so sorry I missed her name. The hot breakfast served in the morning is a very nice start for a day. Chairs and beach towels were provided too. The hotel, management and staff truly deserve the excellence award they just received. When back in Miami, I will certainly stay again with you.

Room Tip: Request fifth floor corner rooms for the best view if you don't mind the noise. Restaurant in t...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Rich_Tex
BeaconSoBe, General Manager at Beacon South Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 26, 2013

Thank you so very much for giving us the opportunity to host you at the Beacon Hotel and for such a valuable and amazing feedback.

Thank you again for sharing such a detailed observation. It is the Beacon Hotel’s commitment to delight you each and every time, and ensure that you have a most pleasant experience with us. I will have the pleasure to share your kind words with the entire Beacon team.

We long for your return and can’t wait to create new memories here at the Beacon Hotel.