“You are paying for the location”

Beacon South Beach Hotel
Ranked #57 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed August 29, 2012

It's hillarious, I also ended up in room 111 for one night, complained immediately but nothing was available. Apparently this is an evil room that all stuff is very well aware of but I didn't have much of a choice!
I visit South Beach quite frequently however this trip turned out to be not the most pleasant adventure I've ever had. Initially I booked my stay at Villa Italia(the one on Washington Ave), tiny, peaceful, family-oriented hotel, as a result after day 3 I got bored and decided to switch to Ramada Plaza( located in Sunny Isls area), made a rsvp, had a confirmation, when I got there I couldn't believe that was happening to me - extremely rude management, they looked exhausted and super annoyed and wouldn't even talk to me. When I finally was a able to catch one of them, he screamed that the hotel is full and there is noway I could have a reservation. The situation repeated twice again with different people from front desk. Even though I was shocked, i put myself together and made a reservation at BEACON at the last minute. it was already pretty late so I was preparing myself for the worst room ever (which I got haha!! ) I've stayed at beacon before, so at least I knew what to expect( or I thought I knew!) Room 111 was the worst room I ve ever stayed: as it was mentioned by previous reviewer: dark, moody, wheel chairs accessible shower etc. Not to mention the fact that I didn't get any sleep, even though I was super exhausted after all my attempts to find a place to stay! paper thin walls allowed me to listen to drunk people all night long. the first thing in the morning I was able to switch the room and then things got in line.The host/manager Louis was very nice and genuine , so that made my experience a little better!) Breakfast is included and actually has quite a few things to choose from(in comparison with most ''continental'' ones). Food is good but overpriced just as everything else on Ocean Drive, so most of the times I ate at the italian restaurant Mia Mi couple blocks down the street, where my friend bartends. What can I say, any trip has to be well planned. Btw, I stayed at Beacon for this Ne Years 2012 and had a blast. Would definitely come back)

Room Tip: By all means avoid room 111, other than that all rooms are pretty much the same.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Yulia C
Gus K, Q.A. & Reputation Manager at Beacon South Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2012

Dear guest;
Thank you so much for your comments. At the same time, I feel very sory for all the inconvenience you had to experience during your last trip to South Beach.
It would be an honor to welcome you back again at The Beacon Hotel in South Beach!

Best regards....

Q.A. & Reputation Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,461)

Reviewed August 29, 2012

We had 2 nights here and throughout our stay, every single member of staff went out of their way to make sure it was a memorable one.

The room we had was lovely, well decorated and just the sort of thing I was expecting from Miami. On first seeing it, we were concerned that we might hear the noise from the restaurant under the hotel as it was rather loud but we didnt need to worry, we heard nothing at all. The room was also immaculate - special thanks to the lady that cleaned our room after an afternoon on South Beach - and apologies for all the sand everywhere!

The bathroom was on the small side and the door was a frosted glass door rather than the usual wood. It wasn't an issue for us but maybe could be for some?

There is no parking at the hotel but for $20 per night, the valet will park your car and return it whenever you require it. Its an in and out service so $20 is what you pay regardless of how many times you get your car. It was a swift service, they ask for 20 minutes notice and deliver within that time.

The lady on reception was fabulous, with dinner suggestions and also places to avoid. It really helps when you have a limited time in a city as you don't want to feel like you have missed out by choosing the wrong place to eat!

The hotel also gives you breakfast vouchers for the restaurant under it. A great touch as the food was lovely!

Overall, I would recommend this hotel to anyone heading to Miami.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LadyJayneG
Gus K, Q.A. & Reputation Manager at Beacon South Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 7, 2012

Dear guest;
We are very thankful for your beautiful comments about the staff and service. We try really hard to make it perfect for you.
It will be an honor to welcome you back again at The Beacon Hotel in South Beach!
Best regards.....

Reviewed August 21, 2012

My 2 female friends and I arrived at the Beacon at 12 midnight, after a horrific day of travel. We requested a 2 double bed room. The only room of this type available was Room 111....and it was the worst room I have ever stayed in. It was steps down the hall from the Main Desk, adjacent to the office, gym, and linen closet. It is an unrenovated, wheelchair-accessible room with a stall shower and a door that leads to a back alley. PLEASE do not consider this hotel if you require wheelchair access. We immediately complained, but had to sleep there for one night.

The next day, we checked in with Fernando, who was extremely helpful and worked very hard for us. Thankfully, he changed our room to one which resembled what the pictures depict. The room is very small, but there was enough space for the 3 of us and our suitcases. The bathroom became musty quickly, but the air conditioner helped. The free continental breakfast was pretty good. The hotel is cute, not luxurious, but perfect for those who need a budget-friendly location right on Ocean Drive. Don't expect to sleep! Lots of noise from the partying outside and the college students running the hallways.

Overall, I would call this an upscale motel which is right in the middle of the action. Thanks Fernando for your great service!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Gus K, Q.A. & Reputation Manager at Beacon South Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2012

Dear guest;
Thank you for your recent stay at The Beacon Hotel in South Beach, Florida.
The room you described it is, as a matter of fact, a very well equipped room for people with special needs, such as Wheelchair accessibility and all the other requirements accordingly with the Standards of the Hotel Industry and the previsions of the Law. I feel very sorry we couldn’t satisfy your expectations but, if in the future you decide to visit South Beach, I would love you give us another opportunity.
Best regards….

Q.A & Reputation Manager
Beacon Hotel
305-674-8200 ext. 660
gus@beaconsouthbeach.com

Reviewed August 20, 2012

My family and I spent one week at the Beacon Hotel and we can say that we liked the hotel. Starting from the booking, we decided to go to South Beach two weeks before so there were not many places available, and Veronika at the Beacon helped us to make the reservation with a good discount. She also sent useful information about things to do with kids and provided contact for the airport-hotel transportation shuttle who called us to make arrangements for our transfers. The service provided by Fritz was superb, not only for the airport pickup, but for all the transportation needs while we stayed in Miami, his knowledge about the area and recommendations were great.
The staff at the Beacon was also great to us from the time we arrived (after midnight). Always ready to help with any of our needs, I should mention Julio, Juliana, Marlon, Sabrina and Reynaldo as an example, thanks to all of you for being attentive and always paying attention to our needs.
A few more specific things about the hotel:
Rooms: We stayed in a double deluxe -unfortunately suites were not available- in he fourth floor. The rooms are really small, but OK. Perhaps our main complain is that there is no much place to put our clothes. There are only three drawers (small) which is very inconvenient, we had to keep things on our bags or find places to put things. The first night there was a noise coming from other room, we complained and next day the staff were always concerned about it and they offer us a new room which we took on the 5th floor (507). The room was nicer (the deco made it bright and had somewhat better view -but still small and with little space for clothes). The staff moved the crib we had in the first room very quickly.
The rooms were in general clean. We however, found a few stains on the comforter and one pillow which we asked to be changed and the response form the staff was that they will do a complete check-out cleaning on the room, and they did it.
Amenities in the room were OK. A mini bar full of different drinks, a safe, a flat screen TV and a clock/ipod-iphone charger.
Breakfast: It is included and it is OK, a variety of things to choose (they will give you a card with options to choose), however not options for things like fruits or juices (other than orange juice). The restaurant that serves the breakfast is not owned by the hotel, however we think that the hotel should work with the restaurant owners about: 1. More healthy options for breakfast (other than omelets, eggs, pancakes, waffles or bagel), and 2. About the attitude of servers, they are not in the mood (most of the time) to listen to our requests (e.g. bringing water or coffee or a high chair).
Location: The hotel is located right on the middle of Ocean Drive, very convenient and close beach access, restaurants, etc. If you like to walk, it is a nice walk to Lincoln Road (shops, restaurants).
Other: The rooms have beach chairs and towels that you can take to the beach. This is very convenient because renting chairs on the beach is very expensive.
You will need to have patience with the elevator, it is small (probably for four people) and sometimes takes a little time to come.
Besides all the little details, the friendly way we were treated at the Beacon made our visit very enjoyable.

Room Tip: double deluxe rooms located on the main building (rooms eg rooms 415 and 507) are slightly larger th...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank rovaMT
Gus K, Q.A. & Reptation Manager at Beacon South Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2012

Dear Guest;
Thank you very much for such a good and detailed review.
Here, at The Beacon Hotel in South Beach, your satisfaction is our reward.
On behalf of the Hotel and its Staff, thank you for your staying. Hope to see you back soon.
Kind regards....

Reviewed August 18, 2012

My wife and I spent a couple of nights at the Beacon in August, which is evidently the off season. Off-Season or not, the area was very congested and noisy, but we found the Beacon to be a good place to stay. The hotel is in a good location, just a short walk across the street to the beach and convinent to walk to the many bars and restaurants in the area. The room was small, but clean, and nicely furnished. There was an area on the second floor with access to computers and printers where we printed our boarding passes prior to checkout. Complaints include: 1) only two electrical outlets in the room, one behind the bed and the other behind the dresser. 2) the bathroom lock was broken, and 3) we could hear street noise including a band playing at a nearby club until about 4:00 AM.

Room Tip: Rooms along Ocean Drive were subject to street noise till about 4:00 AM. Other areas will be quiete...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Gus K, Q.A. & Reputation Manager at Beacon South Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2012

Dear guest;
Thank you for your recent stay at The Beacon Hotel and for such a nice, illustrated and helpful comment. I am sure it will help many future travelers.
I am pleased to read you enjoyed our location (the heart of South Beach) and also to see you noticed and enjoyed the relocation of our business center. It used to be at the ground lobby level but, for your convenience, we moved to the 2nd floor lobby, right next to the coffee center.
At the same time I feel disappointed because some particularities of a typical “art deco hotel” did not fulfill your expectations. Here, at The Beacon Hotel, we care and your comments are very important to us. We are taking care of those details you mentioned and we really hope to see you again on your next trip to South Beach, Florida.
Kind regards…..
Gus Kehyaian
Q.A. & Reputation Manager.

Reviewed August 17, 2012

My wife and I stayed for our honeymoon at the end of July 2012 for four nights. We are a younger working couple who don't mind nice things but don't need nice things. We usually travel on a budget and spend money wisely. We don't require the best of the best or the most fancy amenities. Here is our review of the Beacon Hotel South Beach.

We flew into FLL airport and it is about a 30-40 minute drive to South Beach (we are familiar with the area and roads and made good time). We rented a car at the airport as well.

Check in was pleasant and fairly easy. They have people who help with the bags and the service was good. They placed us on the 4th floor and the room ended up having a leak in the bathroom...so they moved us to a different room on the same floor...no big deal. The room they moved us too felt slightly smaller and the bathroom was definetely smaller. The bathroom I think was bad because it was so congested and the shower head pressure was very bad. It was clean but just very small. We complained about the shower head/water pressure a couple of times and after a few days they finally changed the shower head...which is what should of happened the first time maintaince came up. They also issued us a % back for one of the nights for the inconvience.

My wife had a special dress that she packed and tried on the first night but didn't wear that night, when she took it off she put it on her suit case. The dress became missing we noticed the next afternoon. We believe it was either stolen by maids and/or got entangled in the sheets and towels. However when we brought it to managements attention they were still not able to find the dress. Seems ironic that a multi colored dress could get lost in a bunch of white sheets and never be found again. The dress was not overly expensive and it was never found. No other property was taken or became missing during the visit.

Valet parking is $20 a day with full in and out all day long. Kind of expensive but not for south beach and the parking on Ocean Dr sucks so when you are on vacation it's nice to just drop the car off and go so all in all I guess it isn't bad.

The hotel also gives breakfast vouchers, however we never used them.

The located of this hotel and the reasonable rates are the best things about it. It is between 7th & 8th St right on Ocean Dr. Everything is close by or a quick drive (Lincoln Ave). A car is def not needed if your looking to save money and do just about everything near Ocean Dr. The park and beach are right across the street and the hotel provides two beach chairs for the beach.

Since it was our honeymoon they set up some food and we recieved a bottle of champaign on the rooftop. It was a very nice and welcome surprise. The manager was overly friendly and helpful and did attempt to go out of his way...as you have read we dealt with him a few times during our trip. The presentation was very nice and we were very thankful.

All in all the hotel is average, you get what you pay for though. This hotel is slightly cheaper then most hotels in that area and you can usually find deals on the rates. We would stay again because of the location and price.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Gus K, Q.A. & Reputation Manager at Beacon South Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2012

Dear guests;
Thank you so much for choosing The Beacon Hotel for such an important event as it is your honeymoon.
We appreciate the time to post this review at this forum which is an important reference for future travelers because it is done by travelers themselves.
It is rewarding to know you had a pleasant experience with our Front Desk Staff and our little token of appreciation (Champagne at the Rooftop) but at the same time I feel very sorry for those small details you remarked about the room itself.
About your lost item, we hope you found it when you unpacked at home. We know it is not only the money value. It is important because it is your and shouldn’t be gone.
Here, at The Beacon Hotel, we are very proud of our Staff. The latest room attendant person was hired 6 years ago and some of them have been with us for 10 years or more.
We are concern and would love you to tell us if you found it.
If there is anything we can do, regarding this or any other matter, please feel free to contact me via e-mail or phone (305-674-8200) so we can work together to reach a happy ending.
Kind regards....

Reviewed August 15, 2012

I recently stayed at the Beacon Hotel from 8/9-8/12. Location, location, location! It's on Ocean Drive and in the heart of everything. The rooms were very clean and decorated with that South Beach flavor. Not a lot of drawer space but we made it work. Breakfast was included and was delicious! You get a choice of eggs, omlets, pancakes, french toast, etc... The hotel gives you beach chairs and towels for the beach which was also great. However, the best thing I liked about the hotel was the staff. From the moment we arrived, Luis at the front desk was very accomodating. Everyone would say hello as you entered the hotel. They would hold the door as you entered and left the hotel. For me, it's those little things that seperate average hotels to great hotels. The Beacon is a great hotel for the price. When, not if, I return to South Beach, I will definitely stay there again. Thanks, Beacon, for a great stay!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Gus K, Q.A. & Reputation Manager at Beacon South Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2012

Dear LITRAVELER2;
On behalf of the Beacon Hotel and its Staff I want to thank you for such a wonderful comment but, most than all, thank you for sharing it with the huge family of TripAdvisor. I am 100% confident that your feedback will help many future travelers to enjoy those little things you mention. Indeed we believe that great customer service, along with useful amenities and a good location can make the difference and make your vacation an unforgettable experience.
I am pleased that your contact with Luis was memorable and I will be sure to thank him personally for this. It will be his best reward.
Again, thank you very much for sharing you experience with all of us.
Kind regards….