“A little work is needed”

Hotel St. Augustine
Ranked #94 of 208 Hotels in Miami Beach
Los Angeles, CA
“A little work is needed”
Reviewed October 28, 2012

First of all, if you love steam and showers like I do, then you wont be disappointed. It really is a great experience to enjoy this after a long day of walking or sightseeing to come back and have the steam spigot hit the shower floor and rise up and fill the entire stall. Its rejuvenating and completely relaxing. I also liked the area as it is off the beaten path from the craziness on Collins yet still close to many nightlife and restaurants destinations. So you can actually plan on getting some sleep.

BUT, I will say the hallways and common doors have much to be desired. They are all scuffed, worn and lightweight (like cheap interior bedroom doors); and the halls have a musty odor.

Great staff and attractive, if not small, lobby but they need to address these common areas as it just feels like a shabby motel en route to your room. Upgrade those doors, carpet and repaint the hallways St. Augustine! You're better than this.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Retrorich
James W, Manager at Hotel St. Augustine, responded to this review, November 23, 2012
Dear Retrorich,
We always appreciate constructive criticism , and you will be happy to know that we have replaced
the carpeting in the hallways and are in the midst of repainting the hallways,doors and rooms.
I'm sure you will be pleasantly surprised on your return. Thanks again for your review.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Brasilia, DF
Reviewed October 20, 2012

Besides that its a very nice and modern trendy hotel.
Breakfest was really good, the room and bathroom were excellent.
The sauna didnt work though and everything had a lock on in I dont kknow what for.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank-you for your kind review. I am a little baffled by the heading though - as all our rooms have multiple windows , and our parking lot is clearly visible from our breakfast area through the glass doors. We do not have an elevator unfortunately , because we are only a 2 storey old art deco building - so many of our guests request rooms on the ground floor if they have lots of luggage.
Once again many thanks for your kind words- we look forward to welcoming you back to Hotel
St Augustine.
Teaneck, New Jersey
Reviewed October 9, 2012

Recently stayed for 3 nights. Was quite pleased with my room. The view left a bit to be desired ( I was on the 1st floor looking into an alley) but I wasn't in the room much so that wasn't a huge issue. One complaint is that once you leave the lobby and enter the area where the rooms are on the 1st floor there is a foul urine-like odor in the hall. Addiitonally, you can hear everything through the walls. I had to ask the neighbor to "pipe down" the 1st evening at 4am but no problems other than slamming doors and running water after that. Overall, I thought it was a great room, nice lobby and great location. Will stay again and ask for a room on a higher floor.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank dionnej
Auburn, Washington
Reviewed September 30, 2012

We reserved our room based on reviews in Trip Advisor but I was truly disappointed in the experience.

First Parking - the parking log they provide (and charge for) is a challenge to get into and manuveur if there is more than 2 cars parked. And if you have a low car don't even attempt it! You have to go over some pavement that is uneven (to say the least)

Second Our Room - The first thing you noticed when you walked in our room was the musty smell. Once in there you adjusted but it was very obvious when you walked in. According to the 'amenities' there was to be an ironing board/iron in the room. I called the front desk and they did bring one up immediately but it was a dorm style ironing board to use on a table - only there is very little counter space. The ironing board was also bowed in the center and the iron was black (I was afraid it might mark my clothes - but it didn't). Next the bathroom door - it was impossible to latch it closed. While not a big deal it should have closed completely. I will say the spa shower was great! Although the amenities that were to be available in our room for the shower were in in the cabinet (they do cost $ - but there were not available to purchase)

Third the breakfast - It's very limited which is ok - but one of the days there was not even coffee available. I had to find yogurt myself as the staff was handling both the front desk as the breakfast bar. There were dirty dishes very where because of the limited staff.

Location is great for South Beach - 2 blocks to the beach

Room was clean & cleaning staff was always very friendly.

The 2nd night we came back in and our room key didn't work - we were told they were trying to reach us because it was a full hotel and they needed us to move our car for better parking. So at 1am we moved our car and no one ever did come park in the spot we moved from. I really don't think our car was parked blocking the one spot - it's very tricky to get into the lot. Needless say after that lockout our keys never worked more than once. It became a hassle having to run down stairs to get our key reset.

Room Tip: Do not get the room at the far end of the hall (2nd floor) --- it smells musty!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
James W, Manager at Hotel St. Augustine, responded to this review, October 4, 2012
Thank you for your feedback. We sincerely apologize for any problems you had with your stay.

We pride ourselves in service excellence and assure you our staff is fully trained with a proven track record of exceeding guest expectations.

We always do our very best to follow up on guest concerns and I wish I had known of your disappointment with your room so I could have taken steps to address your concerns.

I would like to contact you directly to reverse your negative opinion of us - kindly send us your details and I will reach out to take the next steps or contact me directly at 305-532-0570.

Thank you again for providing us an opportunity to rectify this situation. We look forward to hearing from you again soon.
Port of Spain, Trinidad
Reviewed September 24, 2012

I have only great things to say about this hotel. The room was clean, comfortable and of course, that amazing steam room/shower. A-MA-ZING!!!

The hotel was in a quiet area, away from the hustle and bustle but still close enough to things. The service was fantastic and special thanks to Ricky and Alejandro at the front desk for the personal attention. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Trinidad y Tobago
Reviewed September 4, 2012

We had planned a weekend get away from the Caribbean to Florida, by coincidence it was Labour Day Weekend here so expected SoBe to be "crazy"

Decided on a location with easy access in and out of the beach and this hotel in the SoFi neighborhood was perfect.

Based on good reviews and great response from "Marisol" via email and their Facebook page, our choice was easy.

The 2 story art-deco building is located on the quiet end of Washington close to shops on Collins and the beach.

Small and charming lobby, and a corridor to rooms. Ours was 106 and was very spacious, king bed and awesome corner steam shower. The best hotel shower I've had in a long time .

We did not participate in the continental breakfast in the lobby because TASTE BAKERY on 9th and Alton or PAUL on Lincoln and Drexel were great breakfast options.

Had a fab dinner at Juvia and Yard Bird. Katsuya was a huge disappointment.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank caribartTT
Blackwell, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 26, 2012

Been here three times before - last time September 2011 - going back next week ! Can't wait. The breakfast does the job - coffee, danish, cereal and yoghurt around an informal bar style setting with fantastic attention from the staff. Rooms are large as are the beds - hanging space could be larger but the place is in a great loctaion for the beach, downtown and everything Miami Beach has to offer. Get there!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple