“SoBe Hotel gets SoSo recommendation”

Hotel St. Augustine
Ranked #93 of 208 Hotels in Miami Beach
Miami, Florida
“SoBe Hotel gets SoSo recommendation”
Reviewed May 13, 2012

THE AREA: The hotel is in the underdeveloped portion of South Beach; South of Fifth. Away from the tourist trap which is Lincoln Road, and the packed crowds of Ocean Drive / Collins Ave. Walking distance to the beach and local restaurants are never more than 5-10 mins. Fairly quiet at night, and relatively safe district.

It seems that for every good thing the hotel does, they mess it up immediately. Be warned, a lot of corners are cut at this place:

PRO: Free Happy Hour in the chic hotel lobby, featuring wine and cheese and crackers.

CONS: The crackers are cracked Tostitos brand chips, and only 25% of the bag is used, the cheese is cheddar and pepper jack cut from a block bought at the supermarket, the wine is just bad.

PRO: 20 of the 24 rooms are non smoking
CONS: They don't tell you which room is which, so they'll put you in a smoking room if you don't ask first.

PRO: Free parking on site...
CONS: ...just don't drive an SUV. VERY TIGHT SPACE

PRO: Fairly large loft-esque rooms....
CONS:...with beds made out of concrete. Seriously, the carpet is softer than the beds.

PRO: Staff seems friendly, and helpful...
CONS: ....until they try to stiff you with a random "$20 upgrade charge". Why would I upgrade to the smoking room if A.) I DON'T SMOKE and B.) I DIDN'T ASK OR WANT AN UPGRADE?!

PRO: Rooms come with fully stocked mini bar and closet safe....
CONS:....neither of which work. The safe doesn't unlock and the mini bar doesn't lock. I heard some poor guy lock his money in a safe then couldn't get it back out.

NOW....With all that said, I can say I've stayed in worse places. Much worse places. Hotel St.Augustine isn't that bad of a place, but you just have to go in prepared of what you'll get and what you're paying for. No hotel is perfect.

Room Tip: Ask for a non smoking room. They won't tell you that they have non smoking rooms, but they do. S...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank veterantraveler12
James W, Manager at Hotel St. Augustine, responded to this review, May 15, 2012
Thank-you for writing a detailed review . We appreciate the PROs you mentioned but unfortunately on the CON side it appears that they are based on misperceptions .
We have a complimentary cheese and wine reception only on Friday evenings as a little " welcome to the weekend " for our guests.
All of our rooms are non-smoking and we certainly wouldnt charge an upgrade fee to a "smoking room" in fact we have a fee for smoking in our rooms. All this was on the registration card you signed. We did not in fact charge you any upgrade fee at all . The $20 upgrade fee, of which you spoke, was to a King room from a Queen . We apologize for any confusion and immediately waived the fee once you informed us that you were not told about it.
The guest you overheard forgot the electronic combination to their safe, that they themselves had entered, and we had to manually open their safe for them . All of our mini-bars are locked and we issue you a key for them when you check-in ( unless of course you would rather not be tempted by the goodies inside - which are very reasonably priced )
As for the mattresses on the beds- they are firm but comfortable and many guests ask how they
can purchase them for their homes. We apologize that it was not to your satisfaction .
Once again thank-you for going to the trouble to write such a detailed review and we hope that we can welcome you back in the future .

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Washington DC
Reviewed May 13, 2012

Although we only stayed one night it was awesome! nice and quiet, 5 min walk to the beach and very helpful and friendly staff!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank roninzero
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed May 8, 2012

I booked this hotel for a 5 day stay in Miami Beach. The staff was very friendly, the room was big, clean and very comfortable and the breakfast included. The location of the hotel is perfect for the beach (South Beach) and Miami Beach city center.. and the bus station is close to the hotel.
We enjoyed our stay and would book it again for the next trip to Miami Beach.

1 Thank Bloomx5_7
Naperville, IL
Reviewed May 6, 2012 via mobile

The pictures online make this place look really nice for the price. These pictures are deceiving! I went in march during spring break so prices were really high and this is when I stumbled upon Hotel St. Augustine, which seemed great for the price and far enough away from the spring break craziness. I wish I would've spent the extra $$ to stay at a chain hotel. Walking in the place is okay, there is no elevator so had to carry lots of luggage up stairs. The first room they put us in was ground floor and the hallway smelled so bad! Walking into the room the smell was worse..looking around the place wasn't cleaned. The person at the front desk was nice about it and put us in another room on the 2nd floor, again no elevators but he did help us with the luggage. The 2nd room was cleaner thankfully but the room alone is disgusting. I didn't want to take off my flip flops to walk on the carpet. The only good thing about the room is the shower. There were no towels in the room so i had to request those and they brought us up 1 for 2 ppl. Had to request a few more. We ended up dropping off our luggage and going out for dinner. When we came back I pulled down the comforter on the bed and found hair in the sheets. I went downstairs and asked the guy at the desk for new linens. House keeping was gone so I had to change the bed. Later the first day the toilet broke and they couldnt do anything about it bc maintenance was no longer there so we had to go downstairs each time we had to use the bathroom. The front desk is empty come late night and the main door is always open which for me didn't seem safe. The beds were SO uncomfortable, I think I would have rather spent the night on the bathroom floor! I woke up in a lot of pain bc the beds had no support. House keeping comes early and is REALLY loud so be prepared to be woken up around 7-8a. The next day I did voice my concerns to the manager and he was willing to give me $10 off...really?!?! I ended up getting $50 back on the room which was better but I will never stay in this hotel again! I'd suggest spending the extra $50-$100 to stay at a nicer place!

• Stayed March 2012
1 Thank AG0623
James W, Manager at Hotel St. Augustine, responded to this review, May 11, 2012
Thank-you for taking the time to share your comments. I sincerely apologize for the lapse in our usially good customer service. This is not the norm and good service is our # 1 priority, I will address these comments with housekeeping and the front desk immediately for training and service improvement Once again thank you for helping our team to maintain high standards
and ensuring that this situation will not be repeated.
James Wightman Hotel Manager.
Brussels
Reviewed May 3, 2012

Based on the very good reviews we decided to give St Augustine a chance, having previously stayed (and liked it) at the Impala. This time we looked for a quiet hotel, and while the location helps with that the extremely loud air condition and very poor sound proofing (constant sound of slamming doors from adjacent rooms and intimate knowledge of what the neighbours were up to) did not.

Some other annoyances were a steam shower that did not work and a very small wardrobe as well as curtain dividers between bedroom and bathroom that let a lot of light in. The breakfast is a very basic buffet style affair.

Liked the size of the room and the quiet location close to, while far enough away from the action of Ocean Drive but it is not a fancy boutique hotel as the website (and to some extent the room price) indicates.

1 Thank DanmarkBruxelles
cremona
Reviewed April 30, 2012

We came back here for the third time and we always stayed so well... The staff is friendly, very available and so kind..James is fantastic, Norma is unbelievable and wonderful, Mike so efficient and always smiling.
The room was always perfect and very clean, the wifi worked perfectly, the continental breakfast very convenient and comfortable. It seemed to be at home, the atmosphere so gentle and warm.
The position is very good, only few minutes walking from Ocean Drive and the beach. At 2 minutes on foot you can dine at the very good "Fratelli La Bufala", an italian restaurant. You have also the possibility to park the car (for 20 dollars per day, the only thing that we found a little bit expensive). There is also a steam bath in every room that works perfectly and makes you relax.
We'll come back the next year too, for sure!

2 Thank veropalumbo
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed April 29, 2012 via mobile

I was in St Augustine for 6 days with a friend for holidays and we really loves the hotel. The room are very clean, we had very nice big shower, and what I really enjoyed is also that u can have the music with your ipod not only in the room, but also in the shower!!
The personnel is very friendly and helpful. The breakfast is really nice, and they offer at 5pm wine and cheese, which is a nice way to have a talk with other guests! The hotel is walking distance to the beach (5 minutes) and to Ocean
drive. Is it also very close to all the shops! We mostly took a cab to go clubbing because of heels but definitely we could have walked :)
We will definitely go back to st augustine when back to South Beach!

• Stayed March 2012