“Great Experience” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #158 of 205 Hotels in Miami Beach
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Great Experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2014

After reading the reviews, I was very nervous about my stay here and was even prepared to bail out if we got to the room to find a disaster. What we found was a clean, comfortable room, with plenty of space and a comfortable bed. I'm not sure why the awful reviews from so many people but our experience was very nice.

The only problem I could see would be if you are a light sleeper. There is a generator that kicks on an off and there did seem to be a motion activated light in the alley across from our room that would switch on several times a night. Not a problem for me as the blinds kept most of the light out, although you could still feel the light change with your eyes closed and the hum of the generator didn't really bother me.

Other than that, the room was clean, we had plenty of space, the fridge/microwave came in handy and the location could not be better. We got the cheapest room in the hotel (superior queen) so I can't imagine other rooms being worse. Not a sign of bugs, mold or anything else disgusting. The staff was also awesome. Patty and the other front desk staff were great and anytime I saw a maid she would ask if I would like to have my room cleaned. Considering the price and location I would have no problem staying here in the future or recommending it to anyone.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank jarw7

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
  • Polish first
Jackson, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2014

My husband and I had the misfortune of spending 4 days here. 1 st let me say was this South Beach or a 4 hr stay motel in the hood? Lobby is nonexistent and desk staff have no personality the rooms are in desperate need of a refurbish. The pics on the walls were all crooked and could not be straightened. The lighting was horrible and the shower was a weapon. The water pierced your skin and temperature was either scalding or freezing. Not to mention the shower curtain kept wrapping itself around you Very unsanitary.
We faced a cement wall so Florida sunshine was not visible at all at anytime.
The toilet clogged and no one came to fix it After 9 hrs my husband had to plunge it himself.
On positive side ; location is perfect right in middle of everything , the bed was extremely comfortable and room was ugly but clean.
Bring beach towels if you stay here as the ones provided look like rags. Don't expect more than 1 towel per person and if you ask for more the answer will be no.
This hotel should be no more than $50/night not 200.

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Gee2525nj

Travelers are raving about these Miami Beach hotels

Glasgow
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2014

We booked this hotel for 4 days as it looked good but some reviews were a bit iffy, we should have listen to our fellow travellers. No tea and coffee making facilities, no safe and a door that was not that safe. A microwave but no dishes:( Good fridge though nice cold water here.
Internet was great and location and view fab.
The whole hotel is still in the art deco era not had a lick of paint since, some of the worst décor I have ever seen, well over priced, not that clean and no where to park.

Andy's Top Tip in Ocean Dr, Park at multi storey car park on 16th St on $16 a day, I drop the good lady of at the hotel and walk back takes 10 mins and you can watch the silly skate borders try to kill themselves on the road LOL.
PS The most the staff are miserable as well :(

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ADWGlasgow
Minneapolis, Minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

Several stays in South Beach and this by far was the worst hotel. The rooms were dirty and unbelieavbly noisy. Walls are paper thin. Service at the desk was horrendous. The maid came in and took the comforter with my nighgown inside it and they refused to send it back to me. I keep it at the foot of my bed incase anyone comes to the door. I don't sleep in it. The told me it was in my sheets and I'd have to mail them a FedEx envelope prepaid to get it back. It was taken from my room. Good luck getting through by phone. Rude and snobby.

Room Tip: go somewhere else
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank laurie H
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2014

Reading the reviews scared my boyfriend and I when we had already packed. We booked our vacation through hotwire, and were extremely happy with the hotel. The staff were very helpful when we asked about directions and places to eat. As well, the cleaning staff were amazing and our room was always clean. The rooms were well kept and spacious. No complaints at all about the hotel. Yes the $100 deposit was a bit of a shock, but we got it back at the end of the week.
Location was great. The only problem we had was with the shops on the board walk. They were very very pushy. We ended up just walking on the otherside of the street to avoid it.
But the hotel was great. If you are expecting a five star, this won't be it. We realy only slept in the room and used it to have some down time because we were busy during the day. Great, great place though. We will definitely be back.

Room Tip: Again, there is a $100 room deposit. And if you don't want to deal with the pushy people at the...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars
1 Thank Samantha W
Swindon, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014 via mobile

To be fair we were travelling on a budget and this hotel fitted what we were looking for. A central location on the beachfront. Bar as you walk in which smells horrendous. Our room faced a wall and bathroom unclean and tiny. Staff helpful. Dodgy lift!

Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Orford, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014 via mobile

We stayed one night in miami, at starlite hotel. Very good location I admit.
Otherwise, we found cockroaches in the room, nasty mould around the shower. Tiny room (we had #111) located right in front of the storage room. We appreciated not hearing the loud music from the bars, but we got awaken by trash trucks. Our view from the room was the garbage, employees smoking in the back street. "Kitchenette" with doors that don't close properly. Oh and dont forget to add 22$ to parking valet.
We are not fancy customers but this is limit to insalubrity.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends