“A Gem” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #158 of 205 Hotels in Miami Beach
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“A Gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

A really nice place in the very heart of South Beach. Video security, key cards, a 24 hour desk, and right across the street from Miami Beach. The staff was friendly and the prices were reasonable for this small but colorful hotel. It is near everything and lots of sidewalks for walking everywhere. They have an outdoor restaurant and a bar. Who wants to eat indoors anyway in Miami Beach. All rooms have free WI-fi, refrigerator, and microwave. A clean 3 star hotel right in the heart of all the action. I would stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask about an ocean view
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
  • Polish first
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

My husband and I come to South Beach every year! I always pick a different hotel and this is by far the worst one I have chosen! Valet was horrible! You have to pay cash daily before 4pm and they won't give you a written receipt! The front desk help was just plan awful/ rude!!! Every time that we needed our car brought around it took almost an hour!!! One time the women at the front desk just simply didn't call!!! One day we completely lost power in our room! They flipped the breaker and it still did not come on!! In the middle of the night the stupid lights came on ad woke us up!! Then our cards quit working! It took is to trip down to the front desk to get working keys!! All I have to say is.... You get what you pay for!!! I won't ever make this mistake again!!!

• Stayed February 2013

Travelers are raving about these Miami Beach hotels

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

This was my first time in south beach, Starlite is no 5 star but it was clean, beds were comfortable and very affordable for South Beach. We had a room at the front of the hotel. Room 302 had the best view of the beach and the strip on Ocean Dr. Front desk reception were friendly and helpful. My only complaint was the water pressure in the shower was very weak. I would definitely stay here again. FYI if you dont want to break the bank when eating out do not eat any where on ocean drive its way over priced and the food is not even worth it. collins and washington st have more affordable places to eat only a short walking distance away.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Anjie_13
Brockville, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

We place was in a great location for taking part in South Beach activities. We were also upgraded in our room at no extra cost which was an added bonus. The only downfall is that it can be noisy at night. We were located at the front of the building so the noise from all the bars could be heard from our room. The staff was friendly and were able to buy discounted tickets for attractions at this hotel. The rooms were clean. I can sleep through noise so it was not a problem for me but my wife had trouble sleeping. It is close to the beaches, bars/restaurants and tourist shops. It is quiet in the daytime... so if you are a night owl, this would be a perfect place to stay... :)

Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank May S
Perth, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

My friend and I decided to have lunch at this place after being told we could get 20% off the total bill. I ordered a diet coke and received a cocktail sized glass of diet coke. I didn't think much of it because we were staying on Miami Beach, where everything is served in cocktail glasses. We ordered our food, after staring down our waiter and trying to get his attention away from his mobile phone and on to us, and after about a half hour wait our meals came. The food came out by another waiter from the hotel next door, and it was very oily for a wrap! The diet coke I had ordered did not taste as it should, so I didn't drink it. It was as though the soda and the syrup had not been mixed through properly. When we finished eating our meals (although most of it was left on the plate!) we again had to get our waiters' attention away from his mobile phone. We received the cheque and noticed that they had not taken the 20% off that they had promised. Upon further examination I also noticed that they had charged $12 for the diet coke, which did not taste like diet coke! I spoke to the lady about the 20% off and she got the waiter to change that straight away, however the waiter did not like to do so. I also wanted to get the $12 diet coke taken off cheque because I did not believe I had drunk enough of it to warrant me paying for something that was not what I expected. The waiter did not take this complaint very well. He was rude, arrogant and wouldn't listen to what I was saying. He refused to take off the diet coke, and stood over us, waiting for us to pay. He also declared that he wouldn't take off gratuity, tips or anything else from the cheque, which I thought was completely unreasonable, seeing as most of the time he didn't do his job anyway!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Elle212
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013 via mobile

South Beach Miami is not somewhere that I'd rush back to. If you are English think a cross between Skegness and Blackpool but with sunshine! Hotel was OK I guess but rooms were small and cramped, bathroom was tiny and in need of updating. The shower issued forth a dribble that was just about enough to shower under but not pleasant. When we arrived the room smelled very strongly of bleach. Location is good in the middle of everything but product is definately budget although the price is not. To be fair the receptionist was pleasant and helpful, so overal location good but product dated and not that cheap either.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Andrew T
Temple Hills, Maryland, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

We needed an affordable place to stay for two nights ON ocean drive.

No this isn't a 5 star hotel but it was clean and the bed was fine.

Small bathroom but that would be my only complaint... (Well the headboard hit the wall too much but that's another story lol) . The air conditioner worked, the tv worked, their was a fridge in the room and a body length mirror. That's all I need when I'm in SoBe. We weren't really in the room much except to sleep, shower and get dressed. The desk clerk was nice (too bad i can't remember her name)

Great location.