“Location, location, location... and friendly staff!”

Bentley Hotel South Beach
Ranked #71 of 208 Hotels in Miami Beach
Churchville, New York
“Location, location, location... and friendly staff!”
Reviewed March 22, 2014

We stayed at the Bentley, although we booked through VRBO, as the suite we stayed in was privately owned within the hotel. We had a 5th floor, 1 bedroom with a balcony and ocean view overlooking Ocean Drive. There may have been a few minor cosmetic issues and a minor issue with some furnishings, but this is not the forum for that, as it's privately owned. However, I can attest to the great customer service provided by the staff at the front desk, most notably Louis. He was very personable, and quite accommodating as well. Every evening it was a pleasure to stop by and visit. He went out of his way to ensure my family (wife and 19 yo daughter) were enjoying our stay. Likewise, Maria was quite helpful too. The maintenance staff and others were always very pleasant and outgoing. This includes the valet staff as well. That service is an extra cost, a necessary evil if you will, for staying on Ocean Drive. The food and drinks at the attached restaurant were good as well, and that's not just the martinis that were in me talking. They offered 2 for 1 drinks well beyond happy hour. The location of this property is right at the very beginning of the Art Deco hotels on Ocean Drive (5th Street) and is a relatively quite section to stay. This is nice, as you can walk a few short blocks and be at the more "party going" section, think Clevelander's. But this is far enough removed that when you went to crash, you can do so with out having to hear constant bass and yelling from spring breakers. The only downside was that the pool and rooftop veranda is under construction, which was a letdown. We were told this would be completed before we made our reservations, but when it came time for the trip, it had still not been finished. I can say without a doubt though that it ended up not being a huge deal. As a side note, the construction crew did not start abnormally early, which was quite nice as we were located right next to the would be pool. Check out went very smooth, at a very early hour 4:45 am, and again the clerk (sorry I didn't get his name) was quite helpful and polite. This after quite and obviously trying night, which we discussed. He called for my cab, which was arranged the night before by Louis and that went like clockwork. As a last note, if you are looking to stay on South Beach and want to avoid hassle of parking and dealing with heavy traffic, you definitely don't need a car is you stay here. That should factor in as well when choosing to stay here.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank uscg1967
Lee G, Hotel Manager at Bentley Hotel South Beach, responded to this review, March 25, 2014
Hello uscg1967,

Thank you for the glowing review. You mentioned everything from staff to locations in the area to the restaurants, beaches..etc. You also mentioned a couple of items that weren't the highlight of your stay but quickly minimized them as the rest of everything that you experienced completely overshadowed them.I appreciated you mentioning them, regardless of the forum. The reality is, all travellors should recognize that there is no single hotel that will suit all needs and desires.... but. I will tell you this: When you come to Bentley, you can rest assured that we will try.
Some of the superficial shortcomings that you mentioned regarding decor, furniture, etc. are a concern for us and I assure you,they will be very short lived. We are undergoing a thorough and comprehensive restructuring and enhancement project that will effectively place Bentley in a position to fulfill the needs of the most discriminating travellers. While cauteous not to disrupt our current guests, I assure you that we are working as quietly, quickly and efficiently as possible to make this the most repeatedly visited destination in South Beach.
We can't wait to have you back to see you reaction and to get your feedback. By the end of summer 2014, Bentley Hotel will be a premier property in the world's premier vacation destination... and we couldn't do it without the incredible staff.. some of which you mentioned above.
Please feel free to reach out to me in the future. I'm happy to handle everything for you. lgreenspan@meninhospitality.com

Many Thanks, and until next time!

Lee

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
  • Turkish first
Beacon, New York
Reviewed March 19, 2014

I recently traveled to the Bentley Hotel South Beach for my Bachelorette Party. It was myself plus 4 other girls. We had the Two Bedroom Suite + 1 Other Room booked for our stay. Our second room was not ready until 4:45pm (check in was at 4pm) But we were mostly disappointed that we were never notified about our rooftop pool that was closed due to renovations. This was a key reason why we chose this hotel in the first place. They offered us the use of the Fritz Hotel's pool, which was not good, the water was as hot as soup!

Location of the hotel was great, breakfast is included every morning, but it is very awkwardly set up. The reception area where you check in gets converted to breakfast, so you are practically eating on someone's desk (only 4 small tables to sit on outside) They charge you $25.00 a day for beach passes, lounge chairs, towels, pool access, and breakfast. So you can see why I had an issue at check out about the $25.00/day since we did not have a pool and it was challenging to eat our breakfast on a concierge desk.
Also our Two Bedroom suite sleeps 6 yet we were only allowed 2 lounge chairs and 2 towels a day. How is it that the person who pays the most, gets the least? That being said do you know why I never complained while I was there? Maybe because the GM was never present, actually not true I did see him one day (Monday), but do you know why I never complained? Maria! Maria was the nicest person to work with. She helped us with restaurant recommendations, club recommendations, what to do, and what NOT to do. If she was working at the desk everything was fine, we received extra lounges/towels at the beach, a table to eat breakfast, anything we needed. She deserves a raise! The GM Ignasio (sp?) should really look at how helpful both Maria and Jonathan are to their guests, and really see that they do all the dirty work when a hotel is under construction as they were just last week! GM! Stop trying to be David Beckham and start leading your team to be best Hotel in South Beach. Start with Maria, make her assistant GM because she deserves it! My best advice, call all your booked guests and let them know the pool is closed, offer them discounts, because what you claim you have you temporarily do not ! Maria you made the best out of our trip & I thank you sincerely!

Room Tip: Room 300 for a 2 Bedroom Suit or 310 for a Single Bed
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Lisa_CE3066CS
Lee G, Hotel Manager at Bentley Hotel South Beach, responded to this review, March 20, 2014
Dear Lisa_ CE3066CS,

Thank you very much for such an informative review. My name is Lee Greenspan and I recently came on board as the GM \ Hotel Manager at the Bentley. I'd like to just touch on a couple of points that you mentioned as they are very valid:
You mentioned check in time. You should have been able to check in at 4pm without exception. There is no excuse for this and I apologize that you were inconvenienced immediately upon arrival. I can tell you, however, that I had addressed this previous to your review and made some changes to the housekeeping procedures that should eliminate this issue moving forward.
You also mentioned the resort fee. The resort fee, as you are aware, does cover the continental breakfast, wifi and beach club access with two chairs, towels and an umbrella daily. With that being said, there are occasions where some exceptions may need to be made in light of certain circumstances. You should have been given extra beach club passes without question for the extra 4 people in your party and you should not have had to wait for Maria... especially since our pool is closed for an enhancement project and you booked a room that sleeps 6 people. Again, my apologies, this was another completely avoidable inconvenience and we would love the opportunity to make it up to you.
You also mentioned the breakfast selection and set up. While at the moment we have a smaller space to work with while in the midst of our enhancement project, we have decided to make some significant changes regardless. We have added a larger selection of cereals and fruits as well as greek yogurts, pastries and waffles. We'll also be reconfiguring the furniture setup so as to provide a more comfortable dining experience.
Feedback like yours is invaluable to improving customer service. In addition, it highlights individuals that provide amazing service. I have printed this and given it to Maria, and I have to agree with you, she certainly deserves the recognition.
As I mentioned, I am the Hotel Manager at Bentley now and I am always available to you. Please contact me directly in the future. I would be grateful for the opportunity to host you once more in order to provide a true Bentley experience for you and yours.

NY
Reviewed March 19, 2014

My husband and I stayed here at the Bentley from March 13-17 and Luis greeted us with a smile and outstanding customer service. He helped us find a reasonable car rental place and was very friendly. Shout out to Alvaro who helped us switch our room to the renovated side of the hotel and who made sure we were happy the entire stay. During the day Maria answered all our questions and allowed us extra time for check out. The room was very clean and the bed was extremely comfortable. Even though the walk to the beach club is a little far and the pool was under construction (which we knew before arriving), the amazing service from the entire staff made it worth the stay. The hotel is in a great location and I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Hello Queenron,

Thank you for such an amazing review! It is always great to hear when the entire front office staff has such an impact on a guest's stay. You are correct, the beach club is a couple of blocks North on Ocean Drive, and our pool is undergoing an enhancement project. Your positive review reassures myself and my team here that, regardless of any minor inconveniences that may result from the refurbishment of our property, service is still far and away the most important aspect of any hotel stay. I have already shared your review with Maria and I will also share with Alvaro and Luis directly. Please feel free to reach to me personally for your future plans in Miami. We would love to have you back to experience Bentley at it's finest following our relaunch in early to mid Summer!

Many Thanks,

Toronto
Reviewed March 17, 2014

We booked this hotel in Miami Beach and had a great time here. The hotel is clean and the staff were great. The only draw back to the whole area is that parking is a premium...you need to do valet. The pool on the roof is under construction but you can go to the hotel next door and the beach club is great. We ate at the Italian place downstairs and it was great! I would stay here again for sure!

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Vince B
Lee G, Hotel Manager at Bentley Hotel South Beach, responded to this review, March 18, 2014
Hello Vince B,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. I'm very happy to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay. Regarding valet, we do stay competetive within our market with pricing, however, I do apologize if the cost seemed to be a bit high. We do regularly explore viable options to reduce costs wherever possible for our guests and your concern with valet is certainly valid and we will take it under consideration.

Please feel free to contact me directly for your next stay at Bentley. I'm always available and happy to help create lasting memories and amazing vacations!

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed March 17, 2014

We had a two-bedroom city view suite which was great. The room was newly renovated, so everything was spotless. The huge terrace was perfect for relaxing and escaping the hustle of the street and provided plenty of sunlight. The service was friendly and efficient. Breakfast was suitable. We had yogurt and juice, but cereals, pastries and waffles were also available.

The beach club is a five minute walk from the hotel, but well worth it. We got there early (10am) and were able to have chairs on the front of the beach. The service was efficient and we were able to enjoy beers and sandwiches.

The hotel was under renovation (as multiple reviewers have commented), but we knew this in advance because we saw the posts here. We did not use the pool next door.

Room Tip: Two-bedroom suite was perfect for us and we enjoyed the private terrace.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank VBW_III
VBW_III

Thank you for providing us your feedback. It was a pleasure to have you with us and I'm glad to see that you were able to thoroughly enjoy your stay despite our enhancement project. Although we do have work being done on the pool area currently, our neighboring hotel graciously provides thier beautiful rooftop pool for our guests. This in addition to our beach club make a very enjoyable combination for vacationers and locals alike to soak up the best that South Beach has to offer.

I'm looking forward to having you back to enjoy what promises to be a stunning result after all of the hard work that we are putting into our property.

Please reach out to me directly for your next stay at lgreenspan@meninhospitality.com

Greve
Reviewed March 11, 2014

Spend three nights on Bentley South Beach Miami in march 2014. The room was clean and of a good size. Bed was okay. Location was ggod in the more quite end of Oceans Road. However it was noisy on saturday night.
On the web the hotel emphasized the top roof pool, however, they forgot to write that it was under reconstruction. We even asked about the top roof pool when we arrived, and were told that offcourse we could go there and have a drink...but we found it closed and under reconstruction. The webpage also emphasized the beach club. However, they forgot to write that it is a bit of a walk to get there. Due to the reconstruction at the hotel breakfast is served in the small lobby. You can choose to sit at the balcony where you find three small tables, or take it to your room. It is very basic and knives and forks are of plastic. They charge a resort fee of 25 USD per person/night for a pool that is closed, a beach club far away and a basic breakfast...way too much. The did though remove the fee when we complained about it. They also charged valet parking for 2 days when we only used it one night since it is very expensive compared to the public garage only 2 streets away. So, I won't come back, and I will not recommend this hotel for other travellers.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Anne Line E
Lee G, Hotel Manager at Bentley Hotel South Beach, responded to this review, March 12, 2014
Hello Anne Line E,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your review. I apologize that your experience at Bentley was less than expected. The hotel is undergoing an enhancement project and currently the pool area is having finishing touches done. It will be available very shortly. In the meantime, we do offer access to the rooftop pool area at a property directly adjacent to us. We make all arriving guests aware of this at check in. I'm sorry that you were misinformed and I will look into why directly. Regarding breakfast, we aim to meet the expectations of all different tastes with a variety of yogurts, fruits, cereals, breads, bagels, etc. It is difficult to provide the perfect selection that would suit each individual taste for all guests and I'm sorry that we missed the mark with you there. While we do include continental breakfast, beach club access and Wifi within our resort fee, it is imperative that we provide an excellent product and service at the same time. Your comments are duly noted and will be looked into for possible improvements.
In the meantime, although you mentioned that you would be choosing alternate accommodations for your next Miami stay, I would like the opportunity to provide a true Bentley experience for you.
Please feel free to contact me directly at lgreenspan@meninhospitality.com. I'm happy to make the arrangements and follow your stay personally.

Reviewed March 11, 2014

I am completely disguisted with this hotel and I have not even stepped through the door. I planned to stay at this hotel from March 9th-March 11th and I should have chosen somewhere else. My boyfriend booked our plane tickets through Orbitz and we were told the flight was oversold and we would have to reschedule our flight. As soon as I got this news I called the Bentley Hotel to cancel the reservation and to rebook for the new dates we would be there. I was put on the phone with a central reservation center who was very helpful and let me know that they did not want to charge a penalty for the late cancellation and said only the manager can override the penalty. I proceeded to call the Bentley Hotel Front Desk and a woman name Maria picked up the phone. She argued with me about speaking to any Manager on Duty and went on to say only the housekeeping manager was on duty. I told her that was fine and she said "oh, I doubt she'll be able to help you ", but placed me on a "hold" for her anyway. I was on hold for LITERALLY 45 minutes and then they just hung up the phone. Day two wasn't much better I asked to speak to the manager again was told their was no manager on duty by Maria and was forwarded to a voicemail where I still haven't received a call back. It is now day three, I just got off the phone with Maria and she said the manager is in a meeting and she doesn't know when they get out of their meeting. Basically, they are telling me that I just unwillingly donated $500 to the Bentley Hotel and I should get over it. I do not reccommend this place if you care about customer service!

Stayed March 2014