“The Charm South Beach Needs A Refresh...”
Review of Richmond Hotel

Richmond Hotel
Ranked #124 of 210 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed March 10, 2014

We stayed at The Richmond on South Beach's famous Collins Avenue this past weekend for a wedding which was being held at The Raleigh next door.

If you are into art deco, this is certainly a place you will appreciate-- HOWEVER-- last I checked art deco was a type of style, not an excuse to be old, unkempt and decaying...

Upon checking in we were informed that since some other guests used a third-party booking tool for their room, 1 of our oceanview rooms would not be available for our stay. The only compensation awarded was removal of the $35 per day parking fee.

While the entrance to the hotel is bright and airy, the rest of the hotel is dark and dreary. The beds in the rooms were comfortable but the bathrooms and furnishings were painfully out of date. The other room in our party was located on the 6th floor so they had no choice but to trek to the back of the hotel to take a separate elevator to their floor. There was also a mechanical issue with the back elevator not working in the middle of the night so when we returned from the festivities next door, our 83 year old grandmother was forced to walk up a few flights of stairs when informed the engineers would not be returning until the morning.

The bottom line: if location is what you seek, then The Richmond is top notch and you will see that in the prices per night ($$$$)--right on the ocean and vibrant Collins Ave. If you are someone who prefers modern finishes, and a particular standard of service, then look for a chain nearby.

Room Tip: Unless you get an oceanview room, you will feel like you are in a cave (619 has nice views!)
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
RichmondManager, Front Office Manager at Richmond Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 16, 2014

Dear guest,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. You are definitely right, about,the Richmond not being a new high rise hotel. We are one of the last Classic Art Deco hotel on the beach. We offer the ambiance, of the classic Art Deco period from long ago. We are always updating, and maintaining the hotel. We did unfortunately have an issue with the elevator, but it was resolved the very next morning. Unfortunately it was not fast enough, and we apologize for the inconvenience. We try an upgrade our guest's, when ever possible. Not every room in the hotel can be an ocean front. We still offer excellent city, courtyard, pool, and partial ocean views. Sometimes our guest's decide to extend their stays, and we do our best to accommodate every person the best we can.

There are newer reviews for Richmond Hotel

Reviewed March 9, 2014

We were at this hotel for the 5th time and the last one. We stayed there for 3 days. After a day out, we discovered that our door was not locked and that anyone could have got in. The manager apologized and said he would fix that. The next day, the very same thing happened: unlocked door. The manager apologized again and acknowledged there was a door problem. As a form of apology, we were transferred to a smaller room! This is not a professional attitude.
To top it all: as we were going to bed, in that new, we discovered a big dirty stain on the unchanged sheet ( we don't even want to know what it was!!!) and some pieces of band aids inside the bed. The front desk apologized one more time, but don't expect them to give you another room! A valet provided new sheets that we have to change ourselves.
On the check-out day, they apologized since it seems the only thing they are able to do, probably because they are used to doing it.
We will never go there again!!!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank magosin M

Dear guest,
It seems like we really dropped the ball during your stay. I apologize for the negative experience you had during your stay. This is most definitely not the lasting experience we want out guest's to leave with. At the time of your room change, it was unfortunately the only inspected and ready room we had available. I will share you review with all hotel department heads, so something will never happen again.

Reviewed March 7, 2014

First, the hotel. It’s a chill, Art Deco hotel in a great location. Not only does the property back to the beach, but Collins Avenue is right in the thick of it. Lots of nearby restaurants and bars, and it’s fun to get a drink on a front patio (though not at this hotel…go next door to the South Seas because the Richmond bar is in the back) and play the game “Model or Working Girl” as you survey the nubile young women bobbing and swaying past on impractically high heels. The hotel is oriented with the hallway running down the middle of the hotel, and one room on each side, so it is actually very quiet. The Richmond's rooms are a little dated…if you’re expecting a Courtyard by Marriott, you probably don’t want to stay here...but people either LOVE or HATE an old hotel. Personally, I like the character. Be aware that electrical outlets are scarce and the room is a little on the small side…but hey, you’re only there to have sex and maybe get a little sleep. The pool area is very nice, though there is a lot of shade…if you’re planning to get a tan, you should go to the beach (beach access through the back of the property, towels are offered at the pool).

I ordered a couple of rum punches, some mozzarella cheese sticks, and chicken tenders. They came with fries. I thought the pricing was a little steep (about $15 for each entrée and about $9.00 for each drink…I didn’t think the drinks were very strong, but hey, this is South Beach). The food was adequate…about what you’d expect from a mass chain. Do yourself a favor and walk for a snack, unless you’re just suffering from the drunken munchies and would do ANYTHING to avoid moving. If you book on the hotel website and call the front desk and ask, they will give each person in your party a “Welcome drink” which is basically whatever cocktail you’d want….I don’t know if that includes premium spirits – you’re on the beach…if you’re the type to daydrink premium hooch while sitting shirtless in a pair of boardshorts with hibiscus printed on them, I do NOT want to know you. Stick with rum and fruit juice or a beer.

Now for the shady: The fire alarm went off at about 10:00 PM. Apparently a false alarm...no harm, no foul. These things happen, especially in old hotels. They were trying to reset the alarm…and it went off AGAIN at about 2:00 AM. I asked to speak to the manager, and was told he was off property and couldn’t be bothered. The next morning, checking out, I complained…he told me he’d remove a couple of drinks and a lunch from my bill. I thanked him and, a week later, reviewed my bill. Not only was the charge NOT removed, but I also noticed they’d charged me twice ($35 per night) for parking…even though I only had a car one night. I called the manager to complain…he told me his accounting guy was out and didn’t know when he’d be back, then transferred me to voicemail. I left a message, then called back to try to talk to him. Suddenly, I was told they were “Really busy” and the front desk guy didn’t know when the manager would be able to call – despite the fact Id spoken with him less than 5 minutes before. Repeated calls left me on hold until I finally gave up. Lesson learned: Examine your bill with a microscope before you pay….because I’m used to staying in national chains, half the time I don’t even LOOK at the bill until I’m filing an expense report.

Room Tip: Don't ask for a king bed...you'll get two twin beds pushed together. They will tell you tha...
2  Thank HH_Gwin

Dear guest,
Thank you for taking the time to post your reviews. I apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay. First off, I would like to say THERE IS NOTHING SHADY ABOUT THE RICHMOND HOTEL! We are an excellent resort hotel that has been in business, since 1941. We consider our pool area, an oasis of tranquility, in the madness that is South Beach. Our restaurant serves an EXCELLENT variety of delicious plates. Our pool bar serves only premium liquors. We always strive to resolve guest issues, quickly and efficiently. I'm sorry we did not get your issues resolved in a timely manner. Please feel free to call the hotel, and ask for the Front Office Manager, so we can address any pending issues..

Reviewed March 5, 2014

Stayed a few nights with my wife at this hotel and was pleasantly surprised how nice the pool area was, how good the food was and how friendly the staff was towards us!
Ishmael the general manager checked us in earlier and was very kind and professional. The hotel rooms need a little updating but overall it was efficient. Just a very relaxing 3 days especially near the pool area which was superb!
Will stay again...Thanks!

Room Tip: ask for the waterfront room..... we had a room facing the other hotel aside from us..but not a big d...
1  Thank stephen n

Dear guest,
Thank you very much for your great review. As we are in the height of the busy season, it's sometimes a little difficult to block rooms for general maintenance. I will speak to out engineering director, and we will double our efforts! I will pass your message along to Ismael, I'm sure he will appreciate it.

Reviewed March 2, 2014

its a great location on the beach as well as close to good shops and restaurants. Its reasonably quiet with a nice pool and staff. Just that its tired and worn out though. Needs update quite badly, especially the bathrooms and furniture

Room Tip: over priced and worn out - go next door
2  Thank c1960

Dear guest,
I'm sorry you had a negative experience during your stay. We are an older Art Deco property built in 1941. We are definitely different from a new high rise hotel. We always strive to update, and maintain the property. We offer the South Beach resort experience, but at a more modest price.

Reviewed February 21, 2014

We stayed here for five days. They have a nice basic breakfast, really nice pool area with jacuzzi and access to the miami beach. Our room was clean and cousy and big and nice and AC worked well. They cleaned towels every day while we were at the town. There was everything in the room we needed and the staff was so friendly. I don't understand the complains some people have wrote... Good location and buses are easy to catch from here to everywhere.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Wuuki
RichmondManager, Front Office Manager at Richmond Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 23, 2014

Dear guest,
Your review is greatly appreciated! We are glad you had good experience, and hope to see again very soon. Please consider yourself part of the Richmond Family.

Reviewed February 17, 2014

As readers have seen, these reviews range from brutal to outstanding. So I went with an open mind, and some optimism...

I stayed here for four nights recently... I think the brutal reviewers are being way too dramatic and too critical, but the overly positive reviewers are also missing some basic needs of any hotel guest (cleanliness!)

I do commend the hotel for responding to the negative reviews rather than ignore them. But I noticed a patten in the responses, saying something like "this is one of the last truly Art Deco hotels in Miami Beach". Well, not true. I was in Miami Beach for a few days, and I went to four other hotels to meet friends and colleagues for drinks. ALL the hotels are Art Deco. Some of these other hotels are clearly higher end, and I realize this one is not. And I had no such expectations. It is a great price for Miami Beach. But there should be no excuse for mold on the shower tile grout, broken door handles, dirty walls (near the light switches), filthy carpets, very low water pressure in the shower. The furnishings are a mix of period Art Deco pieces and crappy hardware store "U-build" pieces. Wifi is $10 a day, which is pretty good. But I found the connection spotty at times. The hotel can blame AT&T, but at the end of the day, the hotel should be responsible for partnering with a reliable supplier. Nice lounge, nice lobby, nice pool area, and great beach access. I don't care that the room was very small, no big deal. The bed was very comfy. Most importantly, the staff was very friendly. I arrived very early and they let me check in hours ahead.

This is not the last Art Deco hotel, but it is one of the last ones to have any money spent on it!

Having said all that, for price, location, and staff, I would stay here again (if they'll have me after writing this!) But I probably wouldn't choose this hotel for a family holiday.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Avi40

Dear guest,
Thank you for taking the time post your reviews. While we always strive to maintain a well kept property, but we obviously feel short during your stay. You have brought to attention several key areas we need to work on. I will discuss this with all the hotel managers, and get these issues resolved.