“Read the reviews and then make your decision....”
Review of Richmond Hotel

Richmond Hotel
Ranked #121 of 208 Hotels in Miami Beach
Columbia, Maryland
“Read the reviews and then make your decision....”
Reviewed January 14, 2014

We just spent a weekend here for my fiancé's 60th birthday. I read reviews before going so I somewhat knew what to expect. This is an old and independently owned property so don't expect it to look like a modern hotel inside. Ceilings are low and the elevator is shaky. I had booked a "superior" room - it wasn't much bigger than an inside cruise ship cabin. The bed was a queen-sized bed, not a king as I imagined we would get. We had to jockey around each other to get around the room. At least our view was of the neighboring hotel's pool area and not a wall. The room was tidy but in dire need of a paint job. I tried wiping the door in the bathroom with one of my Clorox wipes and the dirt didn't come off! Scuff marks on the baseboards, etc. The carpet, or rather carpet squares, were visibly dirty in areas throughout the room however, I expected this in a beachside hotel. The furnishings were of the 1970's and of Walmart quality. I wondered why the phone was placed on the bedside the way it was - when I lifted it, there was what appeared to be the ink from a plastic bag logo that had stuck to the furniture! The phone was placed there to cover it up! Mattresses were so soft you sunk almost to the floor but the pillows were plump. We were only given one towel set per person. There were toiletries on the "leaning" bathroom shelf - shampoo, conditioner, and soap. My only complaint about the bathroom is the window in the shower - the bottom of the blinds was completely rusted and an eyesore. Otherwise it was clean. As others have said, the television sits very low - I watched my fiancé's feet while he watched television! I believe this was set up this way because of the mirror on the wall above it. Perhaps the hotel should consider moving the mirror to the adjacent wall and raise the television? As far as noise, because of the "industrial" type toilets, flushing created a "roaring" noise and woke us throughout the night (I guess we woke some folks up too!). Our room had an adjoining door to the next room. The door had absolutely no sound insulation - the door might as well have been open for the amount of noise that came through. It was also at least 1/2 inch above the carpet so you could see the light coming from the next room. One thing to keep in mind, check in is at 4pm. And that is pretty much firm as we didn't see cleaning staff until hours much later than other hotels. I wouldn't plan to arrive early or wear your swimsuits under your clothes so that you can go to the pool area when you arrive. They will hold your bags until your room is ready. The next day, the cleaning staff shorted us of washcloths, toilet paper, and a bathmat. Since we had gotten into the second roll of paper, I always thought it was "standard" to put a backup roll in the bathroom. I called for a second roll as something didn't agree with my fiancé's insulin. We waited - it never came! I checked the amount of facial tissues in the box to make sure we had something when the roll ran out. Then I would have gone to the bathroom by the cafe' to swipe a roll if he needed it! I was rather pissed about the paper - didn't they think we really needed it if we called for it?! Air conditioning was controlled with either on or off - so choose between freezing or muggy temperatures in the room.

Now for some good points:

Staff is very friendly, warm, and welcoming. The pool area is really nice (much better kept than the rooms!). The Jacuzzi was warm with both strong and soft jets. The pool is a decent size for the hotel. The café has tasty food although expensive for the portions. At the end of the property is direct access to the beach and "boardwalk" that leads all the way down Ocean Drive. It is securely gated with a combination the hotel will provide you with upon check in. Location is great - close to Lincoln Road Mall, Espanola Way, the Fillmore, and close to the SoBe Local bus line (which is only 25 cents per person). You can catch that at 17th & Washington, one block from the hotel and makes a loop through the South Beach area.

Would I stay again? Honestly, I don't know...

Room Tip: A "superior" room may give you a better view if it matters to you....
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lenflady
RichmondManager, Front Office Manager at Richmond Hotel, responded to this review, January 19, 2014
Dear guest,
Thank you for taking the time to post your very informative review. We take every review very seriously. We want all our guest's to have the best experience possible. You have given us quite a bit to look out for. I apologize for any inconveniences you experienced during your stay. I hope you choose to stay at the Richmond Hotel again in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed January 8, 2014

The Richmond Hotel is a cute, art deco hotel located right in the heart of South Beach. The location could not be any better and the value far exceeds the price per night. My wife and I stayed there for 8 nights over the Xmas break 2013 and it was the most reasonably priced hotel we could find during the high season. We were pleasantly surprised at the quality of the amenities (gym, pool, food) and even the size and layout of the rooms. The room was clean and had a good amount of space. The washroom was a little dirty and run down with the shower curtain needing to be replaced and certain nights the bed sheets had clearly seen better days. Overall we were not surprised by these little things given the cost per night and age of the hotel. I have stayed many places on South Beach and the Richmond is one of the best values I have seen. The staff were excellent - extremely nice and very helpful. The maintenance and housekeeping staff were also great and responded very quickly to our requests. The pool is an amazing addition and the walk to the beach is just perfect. We spent a lot of time hanging by the pool and ate breakfast and lunch there on a couple occasions. The food was surprisingly good, especially the daily breakfast special! I would not hesitate to recommend the hotel to couples looking for a good deal. The rooms do not seem big enough for families and I did not see many children staying there (a plus for our romantic getaway).

Room Tip: Ask for the rooms on the sun deck on 5th floor! Makes it a different experience
2 Thank al_toronto_canada
Dear guest,
Thank you so much for your great review. We value your opinion, and strive to provide out guest the best experience possible. I am pleased you had good time, and we look forward to seeing again soon.
Stockport, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 7, 2014

My wife and I have stayed in the last six years at The Richmond Hotel for a minimum of 7 to 10 days. As a family run business we have found the hotel very welcoming. We have developed very good relations with staff and with the owner Mrs Patty Herbert. The hotel is situated in a very good position right on Miami Beach, very close to shops and restaurants and just walking distance to the famous Ocean Drive.
On this visit we have noted a kind of change where the hotel is attracting a younger generation (baseball cap nuisances) they were noisier and sometimes we felt intimidated by their beheavior. We checked into the hotel on the 15th December, for ten days, where we paid for a Sea View room. We've been put in to room 519 where there was very little of Sea View due the to tops of palm trees. The main problem started right at the first night when the next room occupied by two young man (baseball caps) who were having a party in the room till the early hours of the night.
We have complained to the hotel manager Mr Stewart Weinstraub who promised to us he would deal with the situation and that it would not happen again. The disturbance happened again on the next night and again we have been promised that it would not happen again. But it was repeated on the third night again. By this time we felt we had had enough. The Hotel Manager was either incompetent to deal with the situation or just could not be bother to deal with the "baseball brigade" troublemakers.
The next morning we have checked out of the hotel and moved to the neighboring Raleigh Hotel for the remaining seven days where we have had the most enjoyable, and satisfying time.

Our disappointment with the Richmond is due to bad management or the kind of holidaymakers they are now attracting to the hotel. I believe this new "culture" is definitely not for people who want to enjoy a relaxing and peaceful holiday.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
.Dear guest,
I apologize for the negative experience you had during your stay. The hotel values it's repeat guest's. The Richmond Hotel has been around since 1941, and in that time we have built up a large repeat guest clientele. We do not discriminate against any type of guest. We welcome everybody the same. Our staff if full of wonderful, and very competent people. I'm sorry we couldn't provide you with the relaxing atmosphere you were looking for. I'm glad you were able to find adequate accommodations next door

Travelers are raving about these Miami Beach hotels

sf,ca
Reviewed January 7, 2014

The Richmond has a great location right on the beach and was half the price of surrounding hotels; that is why I chose it. Other than that it was disappointing. The room was average sized. The decor a bit "faded." My room looked out on the hotel next store approximately 10 feet away so my room was fairly dark all of the time. The room had inadequate outlets for even one person with the modern travel electronics of phone and tablet. Bathroom was small. There was not even enough room for one person to unpack their toiletries. Pool seemed nice but it was empty the whole time I was there despite perfect weather -it is nice to be able to find a spot by the pool but the hotel was totally full and it was kind of depressing bring there almost alone. Conclusion: price seemed right for the location but I would not stay here again

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Dear guest,
Thank you for posting your reviews. We are one of the last Classic Art Deco hotels on the beach, and we strive to maintain the ambiance of days long ago. It is true, we are not one of the newer major brand name chain of hotels. If that's is what your looking for, then we are not the best choice for you.. Each room is equipped with at least 2 to 3 outlets per room. Our pool area is lush beautiful sea of tranquility in the madness that is South Beach. I apologize, that there wasn't more people present during your stay. The hotels in South Beach are lined up up side by side, and the rooms facing the other hotel don't get as much sun. Perhaps next time an Ocean Front room would be the way to go.
Reviewed January 1, 2014

My wife and I stayed for a weekend at the Richmond not too long ago. While we are looking forward to staying in a historic, art-deco hotel, we had very high expectations that were definitely not met.

The only place that looked to be renovated was the front lobby. Everything else in the hotel was definitely lacking. Our room's walls were VERY thing. We heard everything our next door and upstairs neighbor's were doing. The small noise of the TV was easily heard, as well as loud arguing that woke us up at 3 AM.

In addition to the thing walls, was the dead COCKROACH we found in our room. Yes, that's right: a dead COCKROACH. I found it behind our one curtain and, luckily, it was already dead. When I called down, they sent up a housecleaning person to pick it up. Nothing was placed on the floor or sprayed to ensure no more would come... In addition, I was told it was a "Palmetto Bug" and not to worry. Well, after searching on my phone, I quickly found that a Palmetto Bug was just another name for American Cockroach.... nice one, front desk.

The only great thing about this hotel is the location. You have direct access to the beach and you are pretty much right in the thick of South Beach. Everything else...beware.

Dear guest,
I'm sorry you had such a negative experience during your stay. Unfortunately, as an older hotel our walls are a bit thin. We try and relocate our guest's to a more quiet part of the building when necessary. As for the cockroach, it its in fact a Palmetto bug. They are very common to all of South Florida. It is direct effect of all the lush vegitation in the area. As a main resort hotel in the South Beach area, we take pest control seriously. Unfortunately nothing is 100%.
US
Reviewed December 27, 2013

This was the last hotel that we stayed at on our winter trip, and most everything was good here. The room was a good size, and we had a nice view. The pool area was quite lovely, and it was also nice to be a few steps from the beach, as well as within walking distance of a number of things to see and do. The only downside is that parking was $35.00/day (which is outrageous, but with no other easy options nearby, you're stuck with it), and there was no free wi-fi (it seems unusual nowadays that you're charged for internet). We would certainly stay here again, but probably not during times of the year when the rooms go for a premium.

1 Thank NikitaJade
Dear guest,
Thank you so much for your review. Unfortunately parking is at a premium in South beach. Our rate of $35 is on average with other hotel in the area. We do charge $10 per day for wi-fi, but we do not have any hidden charges or resort fees.
Sedro Woolley, Washington
Reviewed December 26, 2013

So nice that this property is really right on the beach and the outdoor areas are beautiful! We only stayed here one night and that would be about all we could take actually. The beds are very uncomfortable and the shower situation was awful. No matter how you adjusted the water you got either scalding or semi scalding water. They have no cold water in the shower whatsoever. So if you had a child with you would have to run a bath for them and let the water sit forever to have a suitable temp. for them. Do not take the stairs to go downstairs either it leads you outside to an alley between the Richmond and the hotel next door and where they keep the garbage. You end up having to walk through it and re-entering the hotel through the lobby to get to the pool, beach access. Just be patient and wait for the elevator.

Like I said the outside areas are worth the price of this hotel. How nice it was to just walk onto the beach right from back of the property. It is also nicely located to walk to shopping on Lincoln.
That was a huge plus for us.

Other posts mentioned cockroaches and I was a little nervous of what I would find but never saw a one! Very quaint period bathroom tile and art deco furnishings, a full length mirror would be nice though.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Sedrogirl
Dear guest,
We appreciate you taking the time to post your reviews. We pride ourselves on having very comfortable beds. We rotate them out, about every 12 months. Our building is equipped with multiple stairways, that lead to the interior and exterior of the building. Perhaps you exited through the incorrect door. All of our rooms are equipped with both hot an cold water. I apologize for any inconveniences you experienced during your stay.