“Under construction”

Ranked #121 of 208 Hotels in Miami Beach
New York City, New York
“Under construction”
Reviewed October 2, 2012

I booked my room through Hotwire /Expedia and $105 a nite was supposedly 40percent off. This was not the case since that night I checked the web and the room was everywhere for $98. In addition...I had asked to be upgraded to an oceanfront and the woman at the desk told me it would be $60 more a night when every website had an oceanfront room for $135 a night...that's half of what the front desk told me...luckily I did not upgrade since the only difference between the standard, superior and oceanfront if the view and it barely makes a difference. This issue is the least of the issues I have with this hotel. Getting the room cleaned seems to be more of an accomplishment then getting a meeting with the President. The first day it was raining so after walking around I came back to the room at 3pm and the room was still not cleaned. I was told at the front desk..don't worry..the room will be cleaned by 5.... Really? I shouldn't have access to a clean room all day? Then today at 5:05 I come back to the room and it is not cleaned. I went to the front desk and was told it would be cleaned right away...a half hour later I had to call again and FINALLY three women came to clean my room. You would think at least they would have offered me a free drink at the bar since I was inconvenienced twice but nothing. An apology just doesn't cut it. In addition....the pool is less than relaxing since at 12 pm they decided to power wash the deck and they were doing construction on the hotel so the pool was filled with rocks and noisy as hell. I guess you get what you pay for..to be honest despite everything I never ld have written this review if it had not been for the room cleaning issue and the fact the the front desk did absolutely nothing for me despite the inconvenience. Poor customer service.
D

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank 500estelleh
RichmondManager, General Manager at Richmond Hotel, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
We are very sorry that you were disappointed with your stay. I wish that either I or one of our managers, who are on property every day, was able to assist you. Fortunately, you were able to purchase a hugely discounted rate on a short-term promotion, however: our Desk staff was correct in the amount charged for an upgrade to an oceanfront room (our most expensive room category). In order to maintain the property properly, we - and all neighboring buildings - pressure wash our decks and try to schedule these actvities at times where they will least inconvenience our guests. Unfortunately, in your case we did not do so. While we typically get rave reviews on our housekeeping and hospitality, we evidently did not satisfy you and we are discussing your comments with our staff; as our goal is to provide an excellent guest experience to our visitors. Should you decide to try our hotel again, I will be pleased to personally assist you in making your arrangements.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Paris, France
Reviewed September 28, 2012

I just spent six nights at Richmond Hotel and I truly say that it is one of the best charming hotels in Art Deco District. Ismael at the front desk is very helpul and his collegues do your best to make your stay very comfortable. The swimming-pool is a real one, very clean with view on a direct access on the beach. You can have a nice Greek salad at the restaurant with wiew on the swimming pool at lunch time (closed for dinner) at a very good price.
For sure I will come back next year.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Paris_FranceMartine
Villa Park, Illinois, United States
Reviewed September 28, 2012

Our room was to hot when we got there and noticed paper over the vents, manager came and said people before us complained of it being to cold. He removed paper. Thermostat for rest of the weekend , no matter what we did would always reset itself to 55.5 degrees therefore making room to cold. At $600 a night peak season and $250 a night off season I expect a working temperature control in my room. The hotel knew off this before giving us our room but did not care.

This hotel just like Miami beach itself does not care about the tourists, in off season water fountains have algea. So long as they have your money they don't care. Always go to the keys!!!

Room Tip: Choose another hotel

Travelers are raving about these Miami Beach hotels

Hagerstown, Maryland
Reviewed September 25, 2012

My company had done a lot of work in South Florida, so I asked several of my co-workers where the place to stay was...they all said The Richmond. It's an extremely good value for the area, and the pool area is great! It's a true Art Deco hotel, and steps from the beach. The staff were very helpful, and we had a big room (most of them are somewhat small). Drinks at the bar or chairs/umbreallas on the beach can be expensive, but breakfast at The Verandah is excellent and very affordable. I highly recommend The Richmond.

Room Tip: Request a bigger room if possible! Ours was near the stairway, which was somewhat loud.
1 Thank Bradfurd
RichmondManager, General Manager at Richmond Hotel, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
Thank you very much! We appreciate your business!
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed September 23, 2012

The best thing about this hotel is the very nice pool area. There's also direct access to the beach from the pool area, in case you want to take a dip in the ocean. The location is nice and convenient, close to Lincoln Road, as well as all restaurants and cafés, although away from the noise of the party district. Staff is also very helpful.

1 Thank Ville J
RichmondManager, General Manager at Richmond Hotel, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
Thank you very much!!
los angeles
Reviewed September 20, 2012

I stayed at Richmond for the labor day weekend after reading reviews here and finding out that they got the best price/value over the weekend.
I mainly like the location, since it is very close to Lincoln mall and the happening area in Miami beach. Another consideration is that it is the best priced hotel for the oceanfront location available at that time.

The pool and jacuzzi are awesome. No complain. Very easy to walk to the beach. Just opened the back gate and we were at the beach already.

However, do not expect a modern room nor big room. The room was a bit small and the bathroom was small too. I was not so worried about it, since I already knew what to expect.

So, if you just want to get a good oceanfront hotel at a strategic location without the price of Ritz Carlton, then this is it.

By the way, there is a nice pizza restaurant that opens very late night only a walk away. It is called Pizza Bar. Very good pizza and ice-cold beer

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank ssg10
Sioux City, Iowa
Reviewed September 14, 2012

First timer in Miami and it was wonderful experience. Location was perfect! Easy access to the beach & walking distance to almost everything on SB. VERY HELPFUL staff :) definitely staying here again next year!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends