“The best hotel on South Beach” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Richmond Hotel

Richmond Hotel
Ranked #129 of 206 Hotels in Miami Beach
SOUTHAMPTON
“The best hotel on South Beach”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2012

I stayed at the Richmond hotel for 10 nights during March and found it to be a real hidden gem. I needed to stay close the the convention centre and have stayed in various hotels on Collins Avenue over the last few years...each one complete with a horror story of price, cleanliness, loutish behaviour from the spring breakers, and just general poor quality.

The Richmond bucks that trend superbly, with clean rooms, friendly staff, a wonderful manager in Stuart Weintraub, a fabulous pool and pool area, location right on the beach and with a short walk to the convention centre, Lincoln Road, Ocean Drive etc. Stay here - you will not be disappointed. Every member of staff is friendly, welcoming, helpful. The maids look after the rooms superbly and the whole stay was a real pleasure - i will be coming back, together with my colleagues for the future. And did i mention the rather fantastic pool? You literally float on the surface !! This IS the best hotel on South beach... and when you are staying at the same time as the loutish spring breakers i can tell you it's a real treat to get a good night sleep and not pay through the nose for it. Stay here, you'll love it.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank BGIBOY
RichmondManager, General Manager at Richmond Hotel, responded to this review, April 16, 2012
Thank you VERY much!!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (202)
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
MN
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2012

Stayed for 4 nights In April 2012. Location is great, Ocean view room on 6th floor is a must.
Rooms were a tad bit worn but really how much time are you in your room? The pool area was very nice. Pool was clean and was great for a swim after being on the beach all day. Staff were very helpful.
South beach is noisy, I was worried about sleeping but it was fine after 1am. So, go out for late dinners, walk back (it is safe, we walked miles daily) or clubs if you are into that.

A couple of things, ocean front 5th or 6th floor is recommended. Have the staff cover the air conditioner vent if you do not like cold rooms as the thermostat does nothing for the ocean front rooms, can be very cold. We then left windows open, nice for sleeping. You are staying at an old Miami establishment, not a chain, nor is it corporate, is a privately owned hotel that feels like a privately owned hotel. We checked out some largish corporate hotels and thought they were sterile and way overpriced. I would stay at the Satai, absolutely classy and elegant. Go have cocktails there.

Overall the Richmond is priced accordingly and the location, staff, view from room and pool area is great. Just don't expect something it is not. Our room was overall pretty darn clean, bedding was very clean.

Room Tip: Ocean front, 5th or 6th floor
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2012

This was our first time in Miami, so we decided to stay at the Richmond, since it was one of the few available, although not the cheapest one. The only good thing about the hotel was the location. We had problems from the moment we arrived. The room was awful, very outdated with very basic furniture. At least it was cleaned every day.
The staff were rather unhelpful and incompetent.
I would not stay there again.

Room Tip: I doubt there is such thing as a good room.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Cristina S
RichmondManager, General Manager at Richmond Hotel, responded to this review, April 14, 2012
We are sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us. Unfortunately, your review does not provide us with your personal information so that we can respond directly to you. We hope that you contacted one of our managers during your visit so that they could assist you; especially as we rarely receive negative comments regarding our staff. Fortunately, you were able to find a suitable property in the area; as we have noted that you have posted a very positive review regarding a local property for a stay during the same period that you reported staying at our hotel.

Travelers are raving about these Miami Beach hotels

Chattanooga, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2012

If you want a hotel with an awesome staff of Yelannis and Robert,delicious meals prepared by Gustavo who was also very knowledgeable about All of Miami, gorgeous pool with beautiful gardens and direct access to beach,superb location of one block from Lincoln Road Then The Richmond Hotel is for you! Ignore Any of the hotels'negative reviews! I love this Hotel and it is the best bang for your buck! A big shout out for Marcello(recommended by Hotel) for getting to airport on time.Look forward to coming back soon! Evelyn DuVal

Room Tip: Third floor was quiet
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
RichmondManager, General Manager at Richmond Hotel, responded to this review, April 9, 2012
Thank you very much! Come back soon and please tell your friends!
Bridgeport, Connecticut, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2012

Just came back from a 5 day 4 night stay at the Richmond and it has its prosand a few cons. The location is right smack in the middle of everything you need to enjoy Miami and the beach is literally at the back of the hotel, check in was a breeze and the service at the hotel is amazing everyone is so friendly and accommodating definitely makes you feel welcomed. Our room was on the 3rd floor we didn't have a view but didn't care who spends there time in the hotel in Miami, the room is a bit small and our bed was very firm my back ached every morning but some people like a firm bed to each his own. The pool area is amazing the pictures don't do it justice and pool is heated i took a dip late 1 night and the temperature was perfect even with the late night breeze coming from the ocean don't forget the hot tub with jets that are like a built in massage I loved it. There is a bar by the pool with great food and fast service very friendly staff there as well to bring you anything you need and they keep the pool area clean and stocked with towels. The only problem we had when we were there was the TV didn't work at first, but the maintenance guy came up the 3rd day and in literally 2 seconds he fixed it by simply adjusting a chord and our keys deactivated on the third day we had to go to front desk to get new keys to our room. Also the bathroom is not huge its a basic size toilet, mirror, vanity mirror, and a shower there is very little space for your personal items i used the desk in the room to put all my make ups and such, the shower had very little water pressure which i wish was better but it got the job done.Overall I would recommend the Richmond to anyone going to South Beach this hotel has everything you need to enjoy Miami to the fullest especially if you want sun, beach and a hassle free experience.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2012

We were in town for WMC and wanted a second room at a hotel not mixed up in all the music madness. This hotel was perfect. It's not a luxury hotel, but it is clean, spacious and the service was solid. The room itself had all that we needed and it was a very relaxing place for us to go to get away from the parties and noise. The windows didn't seem to be double paned, so you could hear music nearby. It shouldn't matter as much during normal times in the area. Surrounding hotels had daily pool parties, but I don't think that's normally the case. The outdoor pool area is beautiful and it lets you right out to the beach. I would definitely stay there again and will recommend it to family/friends looking for a quiter, smaller oasis in the South Beach madness.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
San Juan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2012

I stayed in Miami for four days on business recently and was moved here from another hotel (long story, error made by Hotels.com staff) so I didn't really know much about the hotel except from a quick look at trip advisor prior to giving Hotels.com the ok.

Upon arrival I thought it was great compared to the hotel I came from (location CANNOT BE BEAT!).I read reviews here stating the walls are paper thin and I think that's true, but I was in a section of the hall where I didn't really hear anyone so that was cool! I did hear toilets flush in other rooms sometimes, though....they are like jet engines! lol

the bedding and sheets were clean (I am freaked about bedbugs in hotels but after my research found nothing and after four days I was left unscathed, so that's good too!)

The best part about the hotel is the pool area, which is saline! I swam every day and relaxed after my conferences in the huge saline jacuzzi. It's walking distance to the beach, too and the beautiful beautiful boardwalk. I went on long walks every evening, too. LOVED IT! If you like to get out of your hotel room and explore around you, this is the PERFECT hotel.

ROOM FOR IMPROVEMENT:
not sure if management checks these, but if they do I have ONE thing that needs to be changed: the hallways are VERY dark and kind of scary. The lighting is just really dim and as a woman traveling alone I was very uneasy about it.

That said, I need to tell you the CLEANING STAFF IS HONEST. I made a bonehead move and left my wallet in my room with cash, etc in it and when I returned the bed was made and everything in my wallet was still there. WHEW!!!!

I might stay there again if I return, at least you know what you can expect!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank FlavorsOfSanJuan