“AWESOME POOL, HONEST STAFF”
Review of Richmond Hotel

Richmond Hotel
Ranked #123 of 210 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed April 2, 2012

I stayed in Miami for four days on business recently and was moved here from another hotel (long story, error made by Hotels.com staff) so I didn't really know much about the hotel except from a quick look at trip advisor prior to giving Hotels.com the ok.

Upon arrival I thought it was great compared to the hotel I came from (location CANNOT BE BEAT!).I read reviews here stating the walls are paper thin and I think that's true, but I was in a section of the hall where I didn't really hear anyone so that was cool! I did hear toilets flush in other rooms sometimes, though....they are like jet engines! lol

the bedding and sheets were clean (I am freaked about bedbugs in hotels but after my research found nothing and after four days I was left unscathed, so that's good too!)

The best part about the hotel is the pool area, which is saline! I swam every day and relaxed after my conferences in the huge saline jacuzzi. It's walking distance to the beach, too and the beautiful beautiful boardwalk. I went on long walks every evening, too. LOVED IT! If you like to get out of your hotel room and explore around you, this is the PERFECT hotel.

ROOM FOR IMPROVEMENT:
not sure if management checks these, but if they do I have ONE thing that needs to be changed: the hallways are VERY dark and kind of scary. The lighting is just really dim and as a woman traveling alone I was very uneasy about it.

That said, I need to tell you the CLEANING STAFF IS HONEST. I made a bonehead move and left my wallet in my room with cash, etc in it and when I returned the bed was made and everything in my wallet was still there. WHEW!!!!

I might stay there again if I return, at least you know what you can expect!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank FlavorsOfSanJuan
There are newer reviews for Richmond Hotel

Reviewed March 31, 2012

We couldn't stay 1 night here. Originally we thought the rooms were older but liked the location but 2 major incidents made it unbearable.
1. Our room had no warm water - it was either really hot or really cold
2. We found a Cochroache 3 inches long on the wall! Upon freakig out we packed up our stuff to move into a different room and found a smaller Cochroache in our belongings
Since it was 3am we tried staying in another room but ended up findin another Cochroache in the bed! So we ended up driving back to our Fort Lauderdale to stay at our old hotel at 4am.
The only positive thing is the hotel clerk was nice enough the next day to refund both nights to us. Really scared to stay in Miami now.

• Stayed: November 2011
2  Thank Winks820
RichmondManager, General Manager at Richmond Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2012

We are very distressed by this review. While this issue is not uncommon in a tropical setting like Miami, we pride ourselves in maintaining the highest standards of cleanliness at this property. What is described sounds like a palmetto which are found in warm, beach areas surrounded by palm trees, etc. and not a roach which may be connected with a lack of cleanliness. Unfortunately, insects like this are not just found in oceanfront locales, but may even get into your bags when they are unloaded at the airport or in other forms of transportation. This is a very untypical situation for our Hotel and we share your dissapointment with this issue. Please accept our sincere apologies: our Hotel and our destination are wonderful and we hope that you will have the opportunity to try them again in the future.

Reviewed March 25, 2012

We ended up here because we booked through Expedia unpublished rates. Booked a 3.5 star hotel in South Beach and was given a reservation at Richmond Hotel.

Thinest walls I have ever experienced. Felt like we were sharing a room with strangers. Could hear clear conversations from the hall and through the walls. Asked to switch rooms but no luck.

Our stay:

TV - didn't work and wouldn't turn on.
Room - tiny, musty smell, outdated, uncomfortable.
Bathroom - rusty window blinds and low water pressure.
Service - average.
Pool and hot tub - average.

I wouldn't recommend this hotel.
Please do not reply to this review if you are a hotel employee.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that does not have an adjoining room.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 19, 2012

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed March 18, 2012

Excellent location and quite good value. Clean rooms.
But don't expect any extras. No tea/coffee making facilities in rooms.
Caucasion lady in restaurant was enough to send us next door for breakfast. Needs a good holiday.
However the location on the beach made this a good choice in other respects.

Room Tip: Take your own coffee maker and avoid the restaurant. But enjoy the beach and the art deco feel.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 18, 2012

I just stayed at the Richmond Hotel in Miami Beach. It was my third choice in my Internet search(not having been here before ), but I'm glad I ended up here. As promised, the hotel is located right on the beach. However, the pool area behind the hotel is so attractive and quiet, I decided to spend some of my time there instead of going to the beach. The large pool is great for swimming, the jacuzzi generously spaced with good jets, nice lounge chairs with new pads, and the entire place immaculate. The tropical garden is beautifully landscaped, then you pass through a charming wooden gate to go right to the boardwalk and then a large beach. The hotel does not have its own chairs on the beach, but you can rent one for the day for $10. The hotel is older but has been nicely updated. The rooms are large and have good amenities, including a hair dryer and ironing board. I took a cruise from here and got a cab to the cruise port for $20. There is a small restaurant for breakfast and dinner, the generous breakfast special was about $8, including coffee. Seating is inside or out, nice on a warm day. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The price for the hotel was reasonable compared to others, in general Miami Beach is very expensive, especially during spring break! Right in front of the hotel, on lively Collins Ave., you can find several restaurants. Nearby, within a 15-min. walk, are several areas with nice restaurants and lots of shopping.
Compared to other nearby hotels, the Richmond was quiet (you could hear the others' loud outdoor music when walking by on the boardwalk), not too many young people partying when I was there.
I felt comfortable and safe as a single woman traveller being in the hotel and in that area of town, but didn't venture out late at night.
I decided to stay there again after my cruise and was glad I did.

Room Tip: Rooms on ground floor have windows you can't open; "standard" rooms face side looking...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Heidi F
RichmondManager, General Manager at Richmond Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2012

Thank you very much!!!

Reviewed March 11, 2012

We stayed in Richmond Hotel for only one night, but the first impression after good service at the front desk was that "give me a renovation, please". Nice pool area and beach access were nice but the hotel needs some update.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends
RichmondManager, General Manager at Richmond Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 17, 2012

Most of our guests appreciate the special qualities of this property: we are a restoration of original art deco.