“Great find on the beach”
Review of Richmond Hotel

Richmond Hotel
Ranked #123 of 210 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed March 18, 2012

I just stayed at the Richmond Hotel in Miami Beach. It was my third choice in my Internet search(not having been here before ), but I'm glad I ended up here. As promised, the hotel is located right on the beach. However, the pool area behind the hotel is so attractive and quiet, I decided to spend some of my time there instead of going to the beach. The large pool is great for swimming, the jacuzzi generously spaced with good jets, nice lounge chairs with new pads, and the entire place immaculate. The tropical garden is beautifully landscaped, then you pass through a charming wooden gate to go right to the boardwalk and then a large beach. The hotel does not have its own chairs on the beach, but you can rent one for the day for $10. The hotel is older but has been nicely updated. The rooms are large and have good amenities, including a hair dryer and ironing board. I took a cruise from here and got a cab to the cruise port for $20. There is a small restaurant for breakfast and dinner, the generous breakfast special was about $8, including coffee. Seating is inside or out, nice on a warm day. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The price for the hotel was reasonable compared to others, in general Miami Beach is very expensive, especially during spring break! Right in front of the hotel, on lively Collins Ave., you can find several restaurants. Nearby, within a 15-min. walk, are several areas with nice restaurants and lots of shopping.
Compared to other nearby hotels, the Richmond was quiet (you could hear the others' loud outdoor music when walking by on the boardwalk), not too many young people partying when I was there.
I felt comfortable and safe as a single woman traveller being in the hotel and in that area of town, but didn't venture out late at night.
I decided to stay there again after my cruise and was glad I did.

Room Tip: Rooms on ground floor have windows you can't open; "standard" rooms face side looking...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Heidi F
RichmondManager, General Manager at Richmond Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2012

Thank you very much!!!

There are newer reviews for Richmond Hotel

Reviewed March 11, 2012

We stayed in Richmond Hotel for only one night, but the first impression after good service at the front desk was that "give me a renovation, please". Nice pool area and beach access were nice but the hotel needs some update.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends
RichmondManager, General Manager at Richmond Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 17, 2012

Most of our guests appreciate the special qualities of this property: we are a restoration of original art deco.

Reviewed March 7, 2012

We recently stayed for our second time at this hotel and again it didn't let us down! The staff is very nice and helpful and the hotel is ran top notch! We love the pool and beach access!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 3Darnel
Reviewed March 4, 2012

I had such a great time in this hotel we only stayed for one night before we flew out of Miami but it was the perfect choice. We were in a an ocean front room on the 6th floor and the room had a lovely feeling about it with all the references to Art Deco design. The staff were very helpful and accommodating. What made the hotel so special was the outside area with the pool, jacuzzi and easy access to the beach. The pool was heated which was good as February can be touch and go weather-wise in Miami but we had glorious sunshine. The pool area is very elegant in it's design and whilst swimming in the pool I couldn't help but feel glamorous. I kept thinking about old hollywood and Ester Williams swimming in all those movies. It has very easy access to the beach which is brilliant on returning as you can shower and swim the beach off in the pool before relaxing in the jacuzzi. If I had one criticism it would be that I felt that there was a slight shortage of staff on as the service was quite slow and after lunch at the pool I was surprised some hours later to return and see out plates still there. I would definitely return again it was a great experience and quiet too.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Ammabighead
Reviewed March 1, 2012

Front desk was friendly. The pool and breakfast area were very nice and the cook and waiters went above and beyond to make sure we were taken care of. The room was just fine for our overnight stay. It is a very old hotel but for the price and location I dont think you could get any better. The one disappointment was that we didn't arrive until 6 pm and there were no more parking spaces available. We had to go elsewhere and pay $30.00 to park overnight.

Reviewed March 1, 2012

There was nothing on the Richmond's website about it being a non-smoking hotel on their website or stated anywhere in the booking process (phone or online). You'll never know this, at best, till you arrive and are getting your key (read the fine print you initial). The way Stuart the manager responded to that in my friend's posting below is very poor.

You have not addressed whether the Richmond will communicate basic policies to consumers when they should know -- up front. Put it on your website and put it in the area where you book a room -- for example go to the Oceanfront Room section, there's not a word about it. And why aren't their no smoking signs in those rooms? A big secret. And with no info. up front, they didn't have the decency to issue a warning, but were happy to quickly trigger the $250 fine (apparently -- I smoked one cigarette and when the maid let me know, I put it out and that was the only infringement. The charge was applied immediately and you don't find out till you check out). There was no work to be done to make that room non-smoking ready. The real issue is get your policies on your website and clearly out to the people who stay there.

1  Thank Lanie M
Reviewed February 28, 2012

I got this hotel for a great price on hotwire and wasn't sure what to expect. It turned out to be great.

The front desk and all the staff were very friendly and helpful.

The room was spacious, clean and well-appointed. It was not the fanciest room I've ever been in, but it was charming in a retro way. The walls were a bit thin, but we only heard our neighbors during regular hours.

The location is perfect (steps from the beach), the pool is nice and the price was right. I highly recommend for an affordable option in South Beach.

1  Thank NewYorker22
RichmondManager, General Manager at Richmond Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 1, 2012

Thank you!