“Nice hotel but not anything special”
Review of South Seas Hotel

Ranked #105 of 208 Hotels in Miami Beach
Lancing, United Kingdom
“Nice hotel but not anything special”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights at Easter before heading up to west palm beach. Chose hotel as not overly expensive and close to beach. On arrival took a bit of time to sort out room and no instructions for safe but someone came up and sorted for us although their English was not great. Nice sun loungers round the pool and free towels but pool was not very clean, lots of scum floating at the deep end which was a shame. Breakfast was sufficient, selection of cereals, bagels, cheese, ham and fruit. Drinks in bar and snacks were reasonable. Good location for Lincoln road which has loads of great restaurants. Room was ok but nothing special and bathrooms could do with a bit of an update. Walls are very thin so you could hear everyone talking in the corridors when they came back at night. Fine for the money but shame about the pool.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reinier C, Guest Service Manager at South Seas Hotel, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Dear Jenny I:

First and foremost, on behalf of our entire staff, thank you for reviewing our hotel. It's great to know that our recreational facilities by the pool and direct beach access were to your liking. I'm glad our location was convenient for you to enjoy from local bars and restaurants. It’s also great to hear our breakfast selections were to your liking as well. These are some of the most popular features and amenities mentioned by our loyal guests.

On the other hand, I was sorry to hear you experienced some difficulties with our pool. During the last two weeks of March and first week of April, our hotel was at full capacity and it made it difficult to be able to conduct our regular cleaning program at the pool. Additional to that, most of our guests prefer to stay at the pool to enjoy from our offerings at our Restaurant/Bar. We already reviewed this incident and we will make adjustments to prevent similar situations from happening in the future.

I hope to regain your confidence and I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

South Seas Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I'm writing this review to help others avoid the same mistake I made. I did a lot of research, read all these reviews, and narrowed down my hotels to South Seas and Catalina Beach Club. I chose South Seas because it was ON the beach. Big mistake. I moved to the Catalina the very next morning. Don't make the same mistake I did.

Here's what I did not like about South Seas:
- The rooms are impossibly tiny, even by South Beach standards
- The rooms are rundown - my dust ruffle was stained, my ceiling had water damage, my bathroom door was dilapidated.
- The common areas are rundown, even the furiture in the lobby is stained (ottomon) and carpet in hallways is ratty.
- The photos are misleading - make it look like there are large hotel grounds, and several pools, there are not. Those are the small hotel pools of the hotels on either side. There is one pool, and it's OK.
-There is no desk or work area

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Holl-Lee
Dear Holl-Lee:

On behalf of our entire staff, thank you taking the time to review our hotel. I’m very sorry to hear you experienced those difficulties during your stay with us. I’m also surprised that you did not bring any of these incidents to our attention so that we could have the opportunity to fulfill your expectations.

We hope to regain your confidence and welcome you back to our hotel, to allow you to see that we have a product and service that will provide you and our guests the best experience.

Travelers are raving about these Miami Beach hotels

Potsdam, Germany
Reviewed April 7, 2013

After one rather bad experience in Miami Beach, we booked this hotel for one night – just a great location and experience. The hotel is located with almost direct access to the beach (only 50 meters), a clean pool-area with a nice shady garden. The room was large, clean and cozy. Worth to mention is the always very friendly, helpful and great staff.
The continental breakfast, served near the pool-area, was enjoyable not only because of the fresh fruits and great coffee.
If you are looking to a hotel which is worth every penny, take this one.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank gspla
Dear Valued Guest:

It’s with great pleasure that we thank you for reviewing our hotel. It's wonderful to know that our recreational facilities and direct beach access were to your liking. It’s also great to hear our breakfast selections were to your liking as well. These are some of the best amenities mentioned by our guests.

We can’t wait to welcome you back in the near future and hoping you’ll notice some of our future improvements.

Hartford, Connecticut, United States
Reviewed April 7, 2013

I have stayed at South Seas Hotel for nearly 7+ years each time I go to Miami (avg 3x/yr). It truly has become my home away from home. Miguel greets his patrons with a great sense of hospitality and especially those who are returning patrons. It's always wonderful to see his pleasant demeanor and he runs from one place to another (the man doesn't sit still!).

Laura and Anna at the front are not only the BEST 2 faces to see when I arrive at the hotel (a sure sign that I'm home) but they inevitably ask me about my family et al. Their coridiality amidst the front desk chaos is much appreciated and recognized.

Irwin in Reservations is, bar none, the most proficient, accomodating and efficient representation the hotel has had in the Reservations area. Not only was he ever concerned about my well-being (as a return, long-time patron) but also ensured that he took the time to greet me when I did arrive on the property during my stay. Where do you find such personable staff?

The one thing that continues to lack, for me, is the valet service. I was struggling with my luggage and the valet person(s) remained at their post and didn't offer a hand to me. I was staying about a week so I did have a bit of luggage. When I called down for my car, it was often quite a bit of time before the car actually arrived. This is commonplace for the valet service. For the price of the service, I would probably expect a little more in the way of service. Perhaps that's not their role. Not sure.

Pilikia - the restaurant - has always been staffed by so many wonderful, warm and truly amazing people. Back in the day, Jean lit up the place with her effervescent personality that many people, near and far, would return to experience. Laura is so delightful and full of wonderful anecdotes that it is a pleasure to relate with her. They have a new staff person I met at night, and for the life of me, I can't remember her name, but she was LOTS of fun. Talking about basketball - she was DEF not a Celtics fan - lol and was wonderfully knowledgeable about the game and exceedingly hospitable and courteous. You know who you are, Miss Lady... lol

The breakfast: Hmmm - of course, I'm an old-timer - lol - so I remember back in the day when one could get eggs (even boiled) et all as part of the complimentary breakfast. Now one has to pay for that. Utterly disappointing. I do not eat a lot of carbs nor fruit, so it was very disconcerting that I had to munch on cheese if I wanted to have only protein. The variety is gone and overall, the breakfast is a significant downgrade from years ago. I found myself having to go out to eat breakfast in order to get something of viable nutrition. It might suit others, just fine though. :)

The rooms are always wonderful. Sometimes a few tweaks are needed here and there, but by and large, the staff is HUGELY accomodating and ever thorough. I appreciate them all.

The pool: One thing that continues to resonate with me (regarding the pool) is that there is no staff to monitor behavior and volume of the kids. I have no issue with children. I have children too, but they were always well-behaved in public, no matter where we were. These children (no matter what country they are from (and this is not ALL kids who visit the hotel, but some), yell and scream across the pool, splash guests who are lounging or relaxing either poolside or inside the pool, run often and risk injury etc. [ps: I'm not a huge fan of salt water pools... This one is a salt water pool... ]

I DO have to say that I compared South Seas Hotel to one of its peers The Raleigh during my stay and there was NO comparison. The front desk staff was rude and arrogant and absolutely snobbish. The wait staff in the restaurant were quite kind. Poolside staff doted on the patronage which was very sweet. Would I ever switch? NO WAY! I just wanted to see what else was out there. I do prefer their pool (chlorine) but not the uppity, entitled staff and patrons who are present therein. They do not hold a CANDLE to South Seas in terms of the staff and the quality of the property for the price. Enjoy your stay!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Dear Anahid K:

Wow!!! We are super excited that you recognized our entire team at South Seas Hotel. I would like to personally thank you for taking the time to provide with an invaluable review to other travelers and to ourselves. I would also like to thank you for your loyalty throughout the years.

It’s great to hear we continue meeting your expectations and providing to you a “Home away from home” experience. I will definitely extend your appreciation to all of the staff members mentioned by you so that they can build on their strengths.

We look forward to welcoming you back to South Seas Hotel in the near future.

Thank you very much for your kind words,

New York City, New York
Reviewed April 7, 2013

Just returned from our third visit to the South Seas and enjoyed a great experience. The hotel has an excellent location on the beach and near Lincoln Road, and is a short walk to all. The room was comfortable and just the right size--not too big or overcrowded. We appreciated the convenience of the complementary breakfast buffet and newspapers made available, including the NY Times. Most important to us, however, is the excellent team at the hotel. Ana remembered us from prior visits and made us feel welcome. We and our family have stayed at this hotel before, and we hope to do so in the future.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Bomovese94
Dear Guest:

We’re pleased that you recognized our efforts to provide you with a great experience at South Seas Hotel. I'm glad our location was adequate for you and it made it easier for you to enjoy from shops, bars and restaurants around Lincoln Road. It’s also great to hear our breakfast and newspaper selections were to your liking as well. These are some of the best amenities mentioned by our guests.

I will definitely extend your appreciation to Ana and I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

New York City, New York
Reviewed March 31, 2013

We just returned from the trip to South Beach Miami. We stayed at the South Seas Hotel for a week. The hotel is remarkable for its great location. It has decent pool, access to the beach at the back and walking distance to all nearby attractions including famous Lincoln Rd and Espanola way, and also numerous stores. Hotel itself is old, but clean. The room was small with the view of the white wall of the next door hotel. Staff is friendly and helpful. There is a breakfast included in our stay, which consisted of fresh fruits, bagels, muffins and coffee/tea. The beach is outstanding, clear blue water, white sand. There is a charge for the beach chair and umbrella. If you don't want to pay, just bring the towel with you. We did not use valet parking, instead we parked at the nearby parking lot for $30/day (James avenue between 17 street and Lincoln Rd). Overall, we had a great time and choose this hotel for its location. I would recommend this hotel for the travelers who don't need a luxury stay.

Room Tip: Park your car at James avenue between 17 street and Lincoln Rd. You can negotiate the price.