“Good location,good value...but the sleep wasnt so good”

Crystal Beach Suites Hotel
Ranked #142 of 208 Hotels in Miami Beach
Charlottetown Pe
“Good location,good value...but the sleep wasnt so good”
Reviewed April 19, 2011

The service for me was so-so. The elevator was out of order more then it was working(last inspected was 2008). We stayed for a week so we experienced weekdays/nights as well as weekends. The room itself wasnt spectacular.It is very outdated,some of the lamps didn't work as well as half of the stove. We were visiting on a really good discount(around half price). The first night we found that the sheets/linen were not clean. It had lipstick/dirt stains on the pillows. The mattress is a little on the "older" side but manageable. The room had a funky odor about it, and if the A/C wasnt left on at all times, the room got really ripe from wet bathingsuits and towels(not enough adequate ventilation).

The front desk staff were amusing to say the least. One of the receptionists had personal issues with his friends coming into the hotel demanding beach towels after they had been drinking(they way he had replied to them made me believe it wasnt the first time this had happened). During the weekend(we thought spring break was over...) we had an issue with our neighbours(close to 20 people in one room). Loud noise,screaming partying(drug use and lots of it),obscentities(I am in the navy and could tell you all a few stories about that...so I am not exagerrating) from 6pm all the way to 0730 the following morning. We had complained at least 3 times as well as others(the front desk told us they had other complaints) They did absolutely NOTHING to stop or resolve this problem. So no sleep led to a few less than productive days in Miami on my dollar.

Location was good,the beach(which was dirtied with cigarettes,broken glass...etc) was right behind the hotel. Behind other hotels the beaches werent as dirty. Very close to the grocery store,McDonalds and bus stops. Very far from retail shopping and attractions(they do offer tours and trips.I'll get to that in a minute)

The hotel tours/day trips. Were the cheapest we could find other than researching online. A shopping trip that was being offered up the road for 75 was being offered for 30 at the hotel. That being said, for one of the trips we were picked up by a "guy" driving his personal vehicle. He was to take us to meet up with a van going to the Everglades. This personal vehicle wasn't marked as a tour vehicle. For all we know we could have been taken elsewheres(we weren't but it's a little sketchy to begin with)same happened for another tour we took.

All in all I would recommend this hotel during the weekdays at a VERY discounted price. Do not pay more than $100 a night. I would recommend it to a friend but let them know the deal before they left. My spouse is a buisness/corporate travel agent and said she would NOT recommend it to any of her clients.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank doylie13

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed April 14, 2011

My husband, sister & I stayed there for 2 nights & it was really nice. We got a 1 bedroom suite w/ a sleeper sofa for total of $150.00 before tax for 2 nights ($75 per night). It is right on the beach & they have a pool & hot tub open 24/7. The room was very nice, comfortable bed, very clean, The staff was very nice & helpful. Pete at the front desk is awesome! we had to have our brother western union us some money & Pete found us the closest western union, called them for us to make sure they had enough money for our money transfer we were receiving (b/c we were receiving a very large amount of money) & he walked us to the western union. he was very knowledgeable & helpful on restaurants & places to hang out & party like locals ( we are younger 22, 24 & 32) Pete is the greatest guest services employee! There is a few parking spots in front of entrance (entrance is on 71st street) that are free but since its right in front of beach people coming to beach try to take the spots. we were able to have a spot there though, they do offer valet in parking garage but it cost $25. They give you free big beach towels to use. There was washer & dryers to use on 2nd & 3rd floor, they are not free though, $1.50 per wash & per dry & $1.00 for laundry soap but we asked front desk for laundry soap & they gave us some free. We felt like we were @ home. Loved the hotel & Peter! Will stay again on next trip to Miami Beach.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank hornem86
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed March 26, 2011

This resort has a really terrific location right on a very desirable section of the beach, just one property away from the new Canyon Ranch Resort and Condominiums, and just two blocks from the large beachfront County Park at 73rd Street. It's only a few blocks to Surfside, (with great restaurants and shops) and only about 20 blocks to the high end shops of Bal Harbour (Tiffany, Gucci, Cartier, Prada, Calvin Klein, Georgio Armani, Neiman Marcus, Saks Fifith Avenue, Lacoste, Chanel, Dolce & Gabbana, Harry Winston, etc). Even the supermarket and two fast food restaurants (Subway & McDonalds) are within two blocks of the resort.

The resort is clean and well maintained, but does show a few signs of needed upgrades to furnishings. Nothing to be overly concerned about unless you are particular. The units are nicely sized one bedroom suites, (but smaller than a typical one bedroom condo); we found the quality comparable to your average hotel/motel chain (Holiday Inn). Not as good as a Hilton, Marriott or Hyatt, but not as bad as a typical Days Inn or Howard Johnson.

The lobby is attractive and spacious and offers free wi-fi. The pool area is small, but really attractive as it sits right on the beach, separated from the ocean only by a grove of palm trees and a jogging/rollerblading path.

The onsite health club is a large facility with an extensive neighborhood clientle, not just resort guests. The attractively fenced pool area is in a secluded area of screened palm trees located directly on the beach and is equal to that of any top Miami Beach resort (in fact, most Miami Beach resorts have their pools elevated on decks sitting above and overlooking the beach; the Crystal Suites' gated pool sits right on the beach in a "grove" of palms.

Rooms are spacious, but sized more typically as hotel suites as compared to often larger apartments and timeshares. There are lots of closets and built-in drawers for storage. There is no separate dining area, instead, there is a decent sized bar-type counter between the kitchen area and living room. Kitchen includes a small dishwasher, small refrigerator, microwave oven, sink and stove. (No oven).

The hotel is in the shape of a "U" with the open part of the "U" facing the ocean. Four units per floor (there are four floors) are oceanfront; some others have limited ocean views depending on their location (some units have angled bay type windows that afford some water views; other units are close enough to the oceanfront suites to also have limited views). Some units front onto noisy Collins Avenue (approximately 3 per floor).

The hotel does not have its own restaurant, but there's a wonderful non-affiliated casual restaurant located within the building. It is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. McDonalds, Subway (and other restaurants) are located directly across the street and the premier grocery store, Publix, is located two blocks south on Collins Avenue.

Suites are decently appointed and reasonably well maintained by a contientious and seemingly dedicated staff. Rooms are brightly lit, primarily with lots of recessed lighting. Only drawback noticed was that walls are too thin and allow some sound transmission and floors are wooden (covered with carpeting), but also allow some creaking noise as they get traversed,(go for top floor suites to eliminate this minor inconvenience). The resort is in the middle of a lot of surrounding new hi-rise luxury condo construction, but we heared no construction noise in early morning hours. We did encounter some very small microscopic ants in the kitchen and had to make sure to keep our food sealed. We found this not to be a big problem (it is very typical in Florida; but the resort could do more exterminating).

Overall, we give this place 4 stars because of its location, and value pricing (but only 3 stars for room quality). We would use it again when in Miami Beach.

Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Travelavel
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed March 23, 2011

The staff are very helpful and friendly and made the hotel a pleasant place to stay.
Beds in rooms are very uncomfortable, hotel needs a major renovation as it is so outdated and it looks extremely tired looking. We found the place clean but the old outdated furniture makes it look dirty even though it is kept clean. Fridge in our room did not seem to be cold enough and one of the elevators broke down while we were there. Elevator that we used needed to be inspected as it was past due inspection which made me a little nervous using it.
It is close to the beach which was a major plus for us and there are plenty of good places around to eat. Staff at front desk suggested a Mexican restaurant close by that had excellent food and service.
Another plus to the place was that the price was right.
Gym looked great. Pool kept clean. Didn't go in the whirlpool as it looked a little green.
No Breakfast was served but again there were lots of places within walking distance to go to that were fairly decent.
We stayed at this place during spring break and there were lots of partying spring breakers there.
There is internet access there but you have to sit in the lobby to use it which was kind of a pain.
I would recommend this hotel to a friend but let them know what to expect when they get there.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank eljay777
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed November 2, 2010

Upon arrival we noticed that light bulbs were burned out in the room. We were indulged with one bar of soap to share between the shower and the sink. There were long black hairs on the towels hanging in the bathroom. The lamp shade in the bedroom was literally hanging on by a thread. There was absolutely no water pressure. If you flushed the toilet while the shower was running, the water would redirect the water to the bath tub spigot. The remote control for the TV in the bedroom did not work. The resort is so outdated that they boast of having VCR's in the units, to which I realized after we rented a DVD. The view from both windows was a worn down building with broken windows. There was a sign in the lobby boasting of a continental breakfast. Upon going down in the morning, we were advised that it was no longer offered.

I called the front desk shortly after we realized that there wasn't a DVD player since we had rented a movie for the night. We were advised that some units had DVD players and some didn't... And apparently ours was one that didn't. No offer was even made to get a loaner for us. I must say though, three bars of soap were brought to our room and the remote control was replaced.

In the morning I called the manager. I must say, I realized where the lack of customer service stemmed from. We were advised the Interval International guests were not privy to the better units (ones with DVD players).

I really have to say, the bright spot of this entire vacation was the time spent away from the resort. I have never experienced such a lack of customer service and such a reverence of meritocracy, at the best.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Trowanco1

Travelers are raving about these Miami Beach hotels

Winter Springs, Florida
Reviewed September 6, 2010

If you are looking for a small, quaint, hotel with charm, then this is the place for you, as I thought it was for my husband, 4 year old daughter and myself. There was a Labor Day special, that we took advantage of, $99.00 per night. It is right on the beach which is a major plus, however it left a lot to be desired. It is really needs a makeover, as it looks very 80's Maimi. The staff tries every hard to keep things clean,, however there was a half of a bar of soap, stuck to the wall of oue shower - nasty! I rubbed it with a wet rag until it dissolved. They offer continental breakfast daily - the saddest breakfast that I have ever seen. If you are a fan of coffee, orange juice, apple juice, cold ceral, and toast,( just 2 slices each!), then this is for you. We have stayed at some fo the cheaper chains and have had better. Would I bring my family here again - absolutely not. We will spend more for better.

Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Mommytraveller1637
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed September 2, 2010

My first impression of the hotel was not what I had expected; I am not a 5 star hotel kind of person but I expected to see what I saw online. However, once I was in my room, I found the accommodations to be quite comfortable & clean. The staff did an exceptional job in directing me around the city by spending time to look up directions & print out maps online. And when my day trip to Key West got messed up, the staff made phone call after phone call to get me onto another bus & even went out of their way to drive me to meet up with another tour a couple miles away.
The hotel is residentially located on a main avenue convenient to public transportation into South Beach, Downtown Miami & further north. There is a large supermarket & many other stores as well as many diverse restaurants reasonable priced.
For what the hotel may lack, though I had everything I needed in my room, the staff more than makes up for it. My experience could not have been more positive due to the staff. Everyone including housekeeping went out of their way to see I had what I needed, felt safe, & enjoyed my time with them. I would highly recommend this hotel & plan on booking with them again on my next trip to Miami in several months.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo