“Rarely been so disappointed value for money wise”

Doubletree by Hilton Ocean Point Resort & Spa
Ranked #73 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed January 4, 2013

Let me preface this review with the following comment, I write many reviews, some for lower priced accomodation and some for higher. I am always fair in relation to the value for money you receive.

This is the worst value for money for any hotel I have visited and left a very bad taste in the mouth for the entire stay.

This place does not have the staffing levels you would expect for a hotel and is more of a bunch of serviced apartments. The building itself is very dated and in need of a significant overhaul. From start to finish of our stay the staff we unhelpful and unfriendly.

First point - the entrance to the hotel is on the equivalent of the 5th floor (you drive up a steep slope), which is OK if you drive up to it but if you want to walk down to the street you have to go down a staircase the whole way which is a treck, we could find no direct access to the road (there is on for the beach).

The entrance is very small and a complete zoo with cars coming and going at all times. Beware relying on the hotel for taxis, you are far better walking down to the street and getting one yourself.

I fell into the trap (as many visitors from overseas do) of taking the first room given. I never seem to learn this trick but obviously the hotel gives out its least popular rooms first in the hope that people who don't complain (like the Europeans) just take it whereas the Americans will moan about their room and are happy to hassle for a change.

When you book an 'ocean view' room you have a vision of something with a wide view over the sea, what you actually get is a room on the side of the hotel that faces the see, so if you lean over your balcony you can see the sea.... I felt this was dishonest. What makes this worse is that your balcony more or less connects to the balcony next door with a small divider between the two. If you are on the left side of the building (looking out to sea) then you have a better view as there is a park and other tall buildings are further away. If you are on the right side of the building there is a bar and nightclub with an outdoor terrace in the building next door. I would not advise getting a top floor room either as the major aircon units are on the roof and the whole floor reverberates.

Even worse than this, many of the rooms have shared entrances, so you walk through one door and then inside this is another two doors to seperate rooms. This means that if you have noisy neighbours coming home late it sounds like they are walking into your room.

The room itself is very tired and dark.We noted balcony doors that would not open, peeling wall paper and you dont even get proper glasses just plastic cups! The pool is tiny and very busy, they are unfriendly around the pool and insist you wear a wrist band to get your pool towels.

I paid a lot of money for this hotel and so far it represents the poorest value I have had. The Ritz Carlton South Beach represents far better value.

Room Tip: Don't go for top floor, take on on the left looking out to sea and make sure you check the room...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
7  Thank Concernedmonkey
Barry H, Director of Sales at Doubletree by Hilton Ocean Point Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2013

Thank you for staying with us at our hotel and we appreciate your candid review. I apologize that you had a disappointing experience and we're always looking for new perspectives about our hotel and our guestroom appearance. We never want to be anything less than helpful or honest with our guests and we're reviewing your comments to ensure we're doing all we can to exceed expectations. Again, I'm very sorry and we hope you come back to see our improvements. Please share any additional comments or suggestions with us any time.

Kind regards,
Barry Harris
bharris@oceanpointresort.com

Reviewed December 31, 2012

My family of five loved our two-night-three day stay at the Doubletree Ocean Point. The 2 bedroom/2 bath suites are huge. The balcony stretched around the suite with access and ocean view from both bedrooms, the kitchen and living room. We didn't rent a car so we really appreciated the location withing convenient walking distance of all the amenities we wanted -- restaurants, coffee shop, drug store, grocery store and sports bar. The beach is wide, clean and beautiful. Again the suites are enormous. I highly recommend this hotel to families who prefer to stay together in a suite.

Room Tip: Go for the ocean view. Beautiful!
4  Thank Debbie L
Barry H, Director of Sales at Doubletree by Hilton Ocean Point Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 4, 2013

Dear Debbie L.

We do accommodate many families like yours for the very same reasons you mentioned and am glad you found our location convenient and our accommodtions to your liking. Whether it is for a long weekend escape or a holiday period vacation, we hope you and the family comeback. and enjoy all that wehave to offer.

Happy New Year.

Reviewed December 21, 2012

Room: We got the 1 king/2 double bath suite and it was awesome. There is a small kitchen, washer/dryer, jacuzzi tub, and the main balcony is spacious with a beautiful view of the ocean. There are also small balconies off each of the bedrooms. There were 5 of us staying here, and there was still plenty of room.
Beach: The beach is well kept with lots of sand and no rocks. It is perfect to walk on and plenty of shells just a little ways in the water for people who like to search for those. The only drawback is that you have to pay for the chairs, umbrellas, and cabanas. This was a disappointment. I would rather pay a higher room fee and have this included.
Pool: The pool and hot-tub were nice and warm which was good because it was chilly one of the days we were there. The only drawback is that the pool and hot-tub close at dusk. That was a disappointment.
Outside bar: The service at the outside bar was great. Her name was Sheila and she was very friendly.
Front desk: The front desk service has much to be desired. They treated us like we were low class people and were not helpful at all. We talked to 2 of them and they seemed inconvenienced and were short. When I asked about the internet service, she said we had to pay for it and we could do this online. I am a Hilton Diamond member and found out it is supposed to be free. Luckily my daughter figured this out when she went online to sign up for it.
Housekeeping: The housekeeper did a good job cleaning the room.
Parking: There is no self park here and valet parking was $27 a day.
Resort fees: They add fees to pretty much everything here so be careful. We ate at the inside restaurant and almost didn't notice the "service charge" of $9.00. When I asked the waiter he said it was the "gratuity." There was also a gratuity line so I almost paid them twice. We also got charged the "service charge" at the outside bar. Maybe I just don't understand the fees.
Summary: I would have rated this hotel excellent had it not been for the front desk staff. This really is a great hotel with an awesome view.

Room Tip: The suites are definitely the way to go if you like a spectacular view of the ocean.
2  Thank spaxton2
Barry H, Director of Sales at Doubletree by Hilton Ocean Point Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded December 24, 2012

Thank you for your comments regarding our spacious Suites. I have also taken note of your concerns and have brought this to the attention of the appropriate managers. If you would like to elaborate more, you can do so by contacting me at 786-528-2580.

Again, thank you for taking the time and am glad you had a great experience overall. come back and see us again.

Reviewed December 17, 2012

I recently stayed with my wife and 14 month old in a one bedroom suite in this hotel. I'm a Hilton Honors gold member, so we didn't pay for internet or our breakfasts. Internet charges are $10 per device, which would have been a deal-killer otherwise. The rooms are large and clean, the kitchens are nice, but aren't equipped with pots and pans by default. Room service and the front desk were helpful and responsive, the pool is nice, and the room service we got was prompt and tasty. There's a restaurant called Rice across the street and down the block, if you're craving Thai or sushi. Most of the rooms have partial ocean views, the patios are large and are good for relaxing. The TV menu system is kind of obnoxious, but as long as you're not channel surfing, you should be fine. For Hilton Honors members, the room number on the wifi login page is without a dash or space, it took a few phone calls to figure that out. The suites are spacious, the AC controls are outside the room (weird?), cold breakfast is free for Hilton Gold members ($6 more for hot buffet items).

1  Thank jeffkramer
Barry H, Director of Sales at Doubletree by Hilton Ocean Point Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded December 19, 2012

Dear Jeff,

Thank you for taking the time to express your recent experience at the DoubleTree by Hilton Ocean Point Resort & Spa. You specifically mentioned our Room Service and Front Desk associates and I will be sure to share your comments with them and their co workers.

I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back on a future trip.

Reviewed December 10, 2012

I'm going to separate this as a review for the hotel and then a review for the spa. The hotel was nice. We had a basic 2 queen room with a nice water view. The rooms are smallish and the bathroom was builder stock materials. Not anything special but clean and all in working order. The beds were comfy and nice. You can't self park so you have to pay $27 for valet service.

The spa is another story. My 16yr old daughter and I were having a girl's weekend and booked an hour massage. We were in 1 room together and 2 therapists came in. I had a male therapist and my daughter had a female. We were both face down to start and no bolsters were placed under our ankles so it was slightly uncomfortable laying there. Then as he began to massage my back he would brush up against the sides of my breasts. I thought it was odd but said nothing. There was no rhyme or reason to his massage. He would jump from my upper back to my legs and then back up to my back again. It was very disjointed and not very good. He finally had me roll over and it didn't get any better. There was no bolster under my knees and he was getting way to close to my breasts. At one point he rubbed down the center of them and then he came around the side and I had to say something. I told him I was uncomfortable with him rubbing me like that and he stopped. But the massage never got better. He never touched my arms and he went from my feet to my head (eww). When it was all said and done the massage was only 40 min long and had paid for an hour (expecting 50 min). It was the worst massage I have ever had. I did complain to the front desk and they took the price of my massage off my bill.

I would stay in the hotel again but would not use the spa again.

2  Thank Tracey L
Barry H, Director of Sales at Doubletree by Hilton Ocean Point Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded December 12, 2012

Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry for the experience you had and appreciate you alerting us so we could quickly address it. If you would like to discuss this further, please contact me at 786-528-2580.

Reviewed December 9, 2012

The positive:

Large living room, dining area for four, separate bedroom. A kitchen with full size sink, fridge, stove and DW. The bathroom had a double sink, big Jacuzzi tub and shower. Everything was clean as can be. The gym was more than enough for a vacation workout including treadmills, free weights and some elliptical machines. Service was polite and prompt in every encounter.

The negative:

Beach – The beach is beautiful but beach chairs cost $25 each, umbrellas $30 and a double beach chair was $90. We were advised that the chairs belong to Boucher, a separate company, not the hotel. This manufactured excuse felt like a money-grab. Boucher stores their equipment at the hotel, helps the restaurant staff when days are busy and allows you to charge chair costs to your hotel room. The whole thing felt like a swindle for a slow beach day in December.

Outings– we took a hotel arranged trip to the Everglades and found it disappointing. The trip there was 1 hour longer than advised and consisted largely of a slow meandering bus-ride through Miami to pick up guests at other hotels.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
8  Thank JorMolchan
Barry H, Director of Sales at Doubletree by Hilton Ocean Point Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded December 10, 2012

Dear JorMolochan,

Thank you for your feedback, both positive and negative. We are sharing your remarks with the third party vendor that operates the beach concession for the hotel. We're also taking your other comments regarding the guided tour to the person who booked your tour so we can reassess the current itineraries they are recommending. We truly value your feedback and experiences. Please let us know if you have any other suggestions.

Reviewed December 9, 2012

My boyfriend and I finished a cruise and randomly walked in on a Friday afternoon looking for a room. The front desk was very sweet and found us a room with a ocean view and city view. They gave us a warm cookie at check in too. Then we went to the pool bar and had some drinks with a friendly bartender. The hotel had a nice pool. In the room there was a mini frige big enough for beer and wine along with a microwave. The bathroom was lavishly huge and I loved the soaps and shampoo. I would highly suggest this place.

• Stayed: December 2012

Dear Hathor,

We are very glad you randomly selected our hotel for your post curise stay. I hope we have the oppotunity to welcome you back on a future trip.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Miami Beach
Golden Strand Ocean Villa Resort
Golden Strand Ocean Villa Resort
#5 of 10 in Sunny Isles Beach
Courtyard Cadillac Miami Beach/Oceanfront

Been to Doubletree by Hilton Ocean Point Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!