“Winter Haven Rocks”

Ranked #72 of 207 Hotels in Miami Beach
San Francisco, California
“Winter Haven Rocks”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2013

This hotel has an unbeatbale location in the Art Deco district of Miami Beach. The beach is a short 5 min walk across Ocean Drive and plenty of restaurants are located in the immediate vicinity of the hotel. Once you are there you dont need a car to explore South Beach.
Other than the location I liked the beautiful decorated rooms and the friendly hotel staff. With my Marriott Gold status I even received a complimentary Continental breakfast at the restaurant which is co-located in the hotel.
This was not my first trip to South Beach but out of all trips I enjoyed this one the most. Winter Haven made all the difference for me. I will definitely come back.

Room Tip: Some rooms have a private patio. These rooms are located on the top floor and offer a lot of privacy...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
John P, Front Office Manager at Winter Haven, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
Dear Uwe P,

Thank you for your kind words and for taking the time to review us!

It was a pleasure meeting you and having you as our recent guest. We are pleased to read your experience at the Winter Haven was a memorable one.

We are looking forward to your future stay with us!

John

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2013

Recently, I stayed at this hotel.. The greetings I received from the staff were excellent and very welcoming... This is a huge plus especially after a long flight over. The rooms are very clean. Everyone was so friendly with all my question of how to get around... Great place! I look forward to coming back. Thank you!!

• Stayed May 2013
John P, Front Office Manager at Winter Haven, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
Dear Liz_Sanchez,

Thank you for your kind review!

It was an absolute delight to read about your great experience during your recent stay with us. My staff and I strive for 100% guest satiation and take great pride in our guest and service.

We are looking forward to seeing you again at your home away from home!

cabo
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2013

We overnighted here on our way back from Grenada to Los Angeles. I chose this hotel because it looks so beautiful in the photos and it does, but I failed to take into account that as its a 30's hotel the rooms would be so small. after being on a sailboat for 2 weeks we were looking forward to space. That is really not the hotels fault and the staff are super nice and helpful. Luckily the hotel is at the quiet end of south beach, because the rest are a zoo of loud music and restaurants pestering you, we decided to eat take out in our room and watch TV rather than run that gauntlet.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
John P, Front Office Manager at Winter Haven, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Dear Cabodrifter,

As loyal contributor to TripAdvisor thank you for taking the time and writing your review.

I can personally relate to needing more space after being on boat/sailboat for two weeks.
Yes, due to the age of property our rooms are small but cozy, perfect for relaxing and ordering takeout while enjoying a movie.

I am happy to read our staff was helpful and accommodating during your stay with us.

In the future, if your travels bring to Miami Beach, please contact me directly and I will personally make the arrangements for you!

Kind regards,

London, Kentucky
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2013

I recently stayed at this hotel for three nights on a business trip. Clearly, my expectation that all Marriott properties have the same standards was wrong. Don't get me wrong, the people working in this hotel were very helpful and polite. The location is great if you are 20-25 years old and want to hang out at the beach and never leave your hotel. I spent the first 20 minutes in my room cleaning the clumps of dust from the air vent. The hotel is very old. 1939, I believe. The rooms are very very small which I'm sure is typical of the era. And the bathroom was so cramped that i literally had to get the toilet paper before I sat down. It was nearly impossible to reach it after you sat down. Had a rental car so valet was the only option. It took a minimum of 45 minutes to retrieve my car each day. And each day after my meeting, I came back to the hotel to find that my key card would not open my room door. I would go back down to stand in line a minimum of 30 minutes for the ONE desk clerk working at 5:30 in the afternoon. Overall, just not a good experience. However, I have nothing to compare the hotel, as this was my first trip to Miami. I am still trying to get my bill straightened out. I checked out almost a week ago!

• Stayed May 2013
John P, Front Office Manager at Winter Haven, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Dear Gilmoregirl217,

Thank you for taking the time in writing your review.

I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you experienced during your stay with us.

Our staff is dedicated to providing a positive memorable experience for our guests and I am happy to read our staff was responsive when needed.

Yes, due to the age of the building we are protracted by the Historic Hotels of American therefore, during the remolding of the hotel in September 2012 we were limited in the changes made. Meaning we could not expand the size the rooms or bathrooms. However, this does not excuse the cleanliness the room. I will personally address your concerns with our housekeeping department to ensure something like this does not happen again.

Our valet garage is off property and this is why we ask to anticipate 40-45 minutes when retrieving you vehicle if this was not properly communicated again my apologies.

If possible, please contact me directly at jperez@bluemoonhotel.com and I will be more than happy to assist you with you bill.

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2013

I recently stayed here for two nights on points. It is pretty close to the ocean so I expected it to be over priced (whether for points of cash) and the rooms small.

They were and it was - but the main problem is the general condition, demeanor and feel of the hotel. Despite the place being basically empty we were given a wheel chair access room. The bed, facilities and bathroom were all geared for wheel chair access and not ideal for a couple on a city break to Miami. When I complained we were then given a corner room facing the ocean - why they didn't give us this when we checked in is beyond me - why put people in a worse room than is available?

The whole place feels ramshackle and run-down. We were recently at the Autograph in Las Vegas and expected the same level of quality and style. This was a sore let-down and in serious need of redress.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear JonVortex,

Thank you very much for your recent stay with us!

I would like to apologize for the inconvenience you experienced upon your arrival.

Our Hotel went under a complete renovation on September 2012 when it became part of the Autograph Collect by Marriott. I am sorry to hear the Winter Haven was not up to your standards. We take our guest and our service very seriously. I hope you give us the opportunity to change your perception of the Winter Haven. I would like to hear more details about your stay with us. If possible please contact me directly at jperez@bluemoonhotel.com

Kind regards,

Miami, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2013

My family and I stayed at this hotel for a vacation break. Everyone from the bell hop to the front desk were very friendly and helpful. The restaurant was pricey, but then again it is south beach. Great location. Will definitely be staying here again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
John P, Front Office Manager at Winter Haven, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Dear Jessica R,

Thank you very much for taking the time in writing your review!

I was delighted to read about the great stay you and your family had during your recent stay with us.

We look forward to your return visit!

Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2013 via mobile

Great location, across ocean drive to the beach. Clean and quiet rooms. AC is loud in room 311. Courteous staff. Deco bike rental across the street and one block south. Nice buiness area with good coffee and good wifi.

John P, Front Office Manager at Winter Haven, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Dear Tony R,

Thank you for choosing the Winter Haven as your destination on your recent visit to Miami Beach!

I am very happy you had a pleasant stay. We look forward to seeing you soon!