“Cannot believe this is a Marriott property!”

Winter Haven, Autograph Collection
Ranked #57 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed May 13, 2013

I recently stayed at this hotel for three nights on a business trip. Clearly, my expectation that all Marriott properties have the same standards was wrong. Don't get me wrong, the people working in this hotel were very helpful and polite. The location is great if you are 20-25 years old and want to hang out at the beach and never leave your hotel. I spent the first 20 minutes in my room cleaning the clumps of dust from the air vent. The hotel is very old. 1939, I believe. The rooms are very very small which I'm sure is typical of the era. And the bathroom was so cramped that i literally had to get the toilet paper before I sat down. It was nearly impossible to reach it after you sat down. Had a rental car so valet was the only option. It took a minimum of 45 minutes to retrieve my car each day. And each day after my meeting, I came back to the hotel to find that my key card would not open my room door. I would go back down to stand in line a minimum of 30 minutes for the ONE desk clerk working at 5:30 in the afternoon. Overall, just not a good experience. However, I have nothing to compare the hotel, as this was my first trip to Miami. I am still trying to get my bill straightened out. I checked out almost a week ago!

• Stayed: May 2013
John P, Front Office Manager at Winter Haven, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded May 15, 2013

Dear Gilmoregirl217,

Thank you for taking the time in writing your review.

I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you experienced during your stay with us.

Our staff is dedicated to providing a positive memorable experience for our guests and I am happy to read our staff was responsive when needed.

Yes, due to the age of the building we are protracted by the Historic Hotels of American therefore, during the remolding of the hotel in September 2012 we were limited in the changes made. Meaning we could not expand the size the rooms or bathrooms. However, this does not excuse the cleanliness the room. I will personally address your concerns with our housekeeping department to ensure something like this does not happen again.

Our valet garage is off property and this is why we ask to anticipate 40-45 minutes when retrieving you vehicle if this was not properly communicated again my apologies.

If possible, please contact me directly at jperez@bluemoonhotel.com and I will be more than happy to assist you with you bill.

Reviewed May 13, 2013

I recently stayed here for two nights on points. It is pretty close to the ocean so I expected it to be over priced (whether for points of cash) and the rooms small.

They were and it was - but the main problem is the general condition, demeanor and feel of the hotel. Despite the place being basically empty we were given a wheel chair access room. The bed, facilities and bathroom were all geared for wheel chair access and not ideal for a couple on a city break to Miami. When I complained we were then given a corner room facing the ocean - why they didn't give us this when we checked in is beyond me - why put people in a worse room than is available?

The whole place feels ramshackle and run-down. We were recently at the Autograph in Las Vegas and expected the same level of quality and style. This was a sore let-down and in serious need of redress.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear JonVortex,

Thank you very much for your recent stay with us!

I would like to apologize for the inconvenience you experienced upon your arrival.

Our Hotel went under a complete renovation on September 2012 when it became part of the Autograph Collect by Marriott. I am sorry to hear the Winter Haven was not up to your standards. We take our guest and our service very seriously. I hope you give us the opportunity to change your perception of the Winter Haven. I would like to hear more details about your stay with us. If possible please contact me directly at jperez@bluemoonhotel.com

Kind regards,

Reviewed May 12, 2013

My family and I stayed at this hotel for a vacation break. Everyone from the bell hop to the front desk were very friendly and helpful. The restaurant was pricey, but then again it is south beach. Great location. Will definitely be staying here again.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
John P, Front Office Manager at Winter Haven, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2013

Dear Jessica R,

Thank you very much for taking the time in writing your review!

I was delighted to read about the great stay you and your family had during your recent stay with us.

We look forward to your return visit!

Reviewed May 5, 2013 via mobile

Great location, across ocean drive to the beach. Clean and quiet rooms. AC is loud in room 311. Courteous staff. Deco bike rental across the street and one block south. Nice buiness area with good coffee and good wifi.

John P, Front Office Manager at Winter Haven, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2013

Dear Tony R,

Thank you for choosing the Winter Haven as your destination on your recent visit to Miami Beach!

I am very happy you had a pleasant stay. We look forward to seeing you soon!

Reviewed May 1, 2013 via mobile

Was suprised to find out that this is a Marriott property. Room was small but very clean. The hotel is very nice with an excellent staff. Great mamosoas... can't wait to stay here again for a longer vacation. Only down side is there is not pool at the hotel, great rooftop deck though.

• Stayed: April 2013
John P, Front Office Manager at Winter Haven, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2013

Thank you for you recent visit with us!

I am glad you had such a great stay. We look forward to your return visit.
Please feel free to contact me directly and I will personally book your room

Kind regards,

Reviewed April 30, 2013 via mobile

I went to Miami for a weekend getaway. I selected this hotel because I am a Marriott awards member and it was the closest Marriott to all the attractions. Well, the first night I stayed and I had a issue with the room. I informed the front desk and they were really helpful and fixed the situation ASAP. I can appreciate good customer service. I can't say that for the other hotels on Ocean Drive. Most of them overcharge you and treat you like [--]. The price for this hotel was expensive. I didn't think the price was accommodating but the customer service was excellent. I would stay there again if the price was a little reasonable.

• Stayed: April 2013

Thank you for taking the time and writing your review!

I am excited to read about you recent experience during your stay. I am happy my staff was responsive and accommodating when needed.

In the future if your travels bring you to Miami Beach, please contact me directly and I will be more than happy to personally book your reservation.

Reviewed April 23, 2013

We loved the Winter Haven! This hotel is in the Art Deco section of South Beach...right across the street from the ocean. The decor is stylish and modern, while retaining its historic feel. The rooms are on the small side, but adequate. The amenities are nice...large flat screen TV, work desk, etc. and the bathroom was modern with nice bath products.
The public areas are "cool"...check out the mezzanine level for views of Ocean Ave., computer stations, and a wooden tic-tac-toe game.
The rooftop deck has a fountain and shower, and partial ocean/street views. It can get quite windy, but it is a relaxing area.
The staff was friendly and accommodating and seemed happy to have us there.
There are plenty of restaurants nearby. The restaurant in front of the hotel looked good, but we did not get a chance to try it.
I would stay here again and would recommend it to friends.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
John P, Front Office Manager at Winter Haven, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2013

Thank you for you recent stay with us and for taking the time to rate us. I was pleased to read about your great experience and the difference my staff made.
We look forward to you return visit.