“Amazing pool, not so nice rooms”

The Raleigh Miami Beach
Ranked #35 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed June 23, 2010

We had a really nice 2 night stay at the Raleigh. The pool was great! Its not a mega-hotel and thats exactly what I liked about it for this trip. Those hotels have their purpose too. But this was nicer, and more intimate. The service at the pool was great. We had breakfast onsite and it was very good. Decent pricing. $30 for the 2 of us incl coffee.
The room are a little tired, but I was talking to guest services on my way out and they said the hotel will have room renovations for a full month at the end of the summer. So I hope that does happen b/c that would 100% ensure my return. I would come to the pool and restaurant anytime, but the rooms are just not my style when I am away from home - esp when you are someplace that is glitzy like south beach. I understand deco style, but the rooms were just not appealing. Also, I want to say thank you to Alex at the front desk. He was so warm and welcoming!!!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,637)

Reviewed June 20, 2010

I stayed at the Raleigh in South Beach with my partner for 3 days after a week in a downtown hotel for a conference in Miami . It was the best experience I ever had in a Hotel in South Beach. It is all about the staff at The Raleigh, you can't train people to have a cool personality and that is what you find at this hotel. You can tell every single person that works there enjoy it as much as we enjoyed our stay. From the Valet guys , front desk staff, concierge to the staff at the restaurant and pool.
The place is perfectly located and impeccable maintained. great music plays all day. food is just excellent. I want to emphasis on the service at the restaurant...the breakfasts would not have been as enjoyable without the impeccable service provided by the 2 servers that took care of us , Ariel and Max... just perfection if that is enough to describe their professionalism, knowledge of the place, food and kindness to treat us.
The pool area is heaven and is where we spent most of our stay. The staff is the coolest I have ever seen, they could not make you feel more welcome. Hillary, Esteban and Lana made us feel as if we were enjoying our private pool, even taking their time to stop by our chairs and start some short conversation any time they were not busy. Food and drinks were excellent. The bartender suggested the mojitos for drinks and I was hesitant but he was right those were the best mojitos I have ever had in my life...not even in the Caribbean I had such perfectly made drinks, the experience at the bar by the pool where I had my food was great , there was a DJ playing music and lots of people at the bar at the time but Hillary and the Esteban made sure we were comfortable at all time while enjoying our meal. That's when we met James, the other bartender, that surprised us with a couple of delicious drinks not listed on the drink menu.

All I can say after my 5th visit to South Beach is The Raleigh is a perfect reason to keep coming back.

Reviewed June 20, 2010

I stayed at the Raleigh with friends and was pleasantly suprised. i read the bad reviews the hotel recieved lately so we were a bit worried , but i must say my stay was perfect. The staff was good and professional. Check in was smooth and also when i wanted to extent my stay it was no problem to give me the same rate allthough they were advertising a much higher rate on the internet. , Restaurant staff were very friendly and even knew my order at breakfast :-). Talking about personal service !! The room was great love the decor and view. Pool area great , good size pool. The beach is really on your doorstep. Overall we had a great stay , next time we come to Miami we stay here again for sure.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 19, 2010

This hotel is perfectly situated on south beach, close to shopping, dining, and nightlife. The beach is beautiful, and the staff is great about setting up chairs, towels, and umbrellas for you as well as making sure you get frequent food/drink service. The building and grounds are well kept. The staff there is very accomodating and friendly. The hotel doesn't have a business center, but the concierge was gracious enough to take care of our flight check-in and print my boarding pass. Also the pool area is beautiful.

The only downside is that because the building is older, the rooms are on the small side (which seems to be how all the hotels are in South Beach). That's why I can't give it 5 stars (no coffee pot in the room, tiny bathroom - no bathtub).

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 18, 2010

Ended up at the Raleigh thanks to Priceline. Used to live in Miami and passed it a bunch of times and never even walked in or noticed. What a diamond in the rough. The rate was great on Priceline. The hotel staff couldnt have been nicer and more helpful. My wife 9 months pregnant was treated like a Queen. They put us on a Golf Cart to the beach, set us up on the sand, or the pool. Always had a smile, even gave us a free room upgrade after an error with the wrong size bed. The rooms are a little dated as are the hallways, but the rooms do have ipod docks, nice TV's , wireless phones, DVD player, CD player. Nice sheets and bed. The lobby and pool are awesome. Great location and super friendly staff. A real nice little getaway. Thank you to all the staff for making our stay such a pleasure. Hope to be back soon.

Reviewed June 11, 2010

We stayed at the hotel for 5 nights in May, in an Ocean View King – we got a really great rate from Opodo. Overall, we were very pleased with the hotel and would definitely stay again.
Pros
1. The bed was very large & comfortable.
2. Lovely Molton Brown bath products.
3. Perfect location for us – you could step out the back of the property to get to the beach, but it wasn’t too far up Collins Avenue – just 10 minutes to walk to Lincoln Road.
4. The pool area is absolutely gorgeous – the website definitely doesn’t do it justice. Plenty of sunbeds, either right by the pool or in a sandy area to the back. Great pool bar for lunch and drinks (fab nachos).
5. Very pretty al fresco restaurant – we had a very nice breakfast there, but didn’t have lunch or dinner. It was very prettily lit at night.
6. The coffee bar off the lobby was very handy for when we didn’t want much for breakfast.
7. The staff were friendly, courteous and helpful – no ‘attitude’ at all.

Cons
1. The bathroom was quite small, with a shower and no bath, but was very clean – just compact!
2. Some of the furniture in the bedroom looked as if it had seen slightly better days. I appreciate and like the look they are going for in terms of design – but some of the furniture was just a bit tatty.
3. Looking at the size and shape of the hotel, I don’t think that many of the rooms have a really great ocean view – we were facing the sea but due to the shape of the building, our view was limited.
But the hotel had a lovely vibe and would definitely go back.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 9, 2010

I had decided to take a break for a few days, and saw the Raleigh on Jetsetter. I thought this would be a great opportunity to check out a vintage hotel, as opposed to the typical high rise hotels. I had also hoped that with a smaller hotel, there would be a more relaxed atmosphere, and a high level of service and personal attention. Unfortunately, my hopes wiere not met. Here is the low down as I saw it...

Checked in on a Thursday, and Sophia at the front desk was very helpful and friendly. I checked into my room, and found it to be very small. This was not unexpected, and I found the space layout to be very efficient. The rooms are vintage, and are lacking in some of the finer things that the high-rise hotels have, and you should know that.

I decided to explore the hotel, and found that the hotel was largely empty. It was raining heavily, so I kind of expected people to be lingering by the bar, but this was not the case. At 6pm, I was advised to check out the bar for happy hour, so I did.

Went into the bar, which is a very cool space. I was the only customer for about an hour, and I cannot recall a less friendly or less engaging bartender. Here is a sample of our "banter":
Q:"So, seems quiet areound here. Is this normal"
A: " I guess so"

Q: "So what should people wear to go out around here"
A: "You can wear what you want in here"
Q: "What about other restaurants? Is it Florida casual or soemthing different?"
A: "I have no idea"

Q: "So, you been with the hotel long?"
A: "Yup"

Conversation: FAIL.

I went to the restaurant to grab dinner then, as it was clear that the bar was no place to hang out. It was still raining, so there was limited seating. It was clear right away that there would be a communication issue throughout the trip, because when I asked for a small table, as I was alone, the waiter attempted to seat me at a table of 8. Awkward. Another waiter (who was excellent) saw what I was looking at, and promptly corrected the situation. The meal was delicious, but seemed a bit pricey. Drinks, app, entree, dessert was 120 bucks.

Went up to the room, and the turndown service was excellent. The only problem was, the walls are concrete, and hence transmit sound very easily. After listening to the people directly above me have sex, I directed my attention to the argument in the next room. It appeared that the hotel was not at full capacity, and had booked everyone on the same floor(s). My room also received sound fromt he hallway very easily, so it was a bit loud when people were out. Fortunately, the hotel caters to quieter people.

The next day, I asked if I could upgrade, and did so for 50 dollars a day. The new room had a patio, and this made the upgrade well worth it. I went to the pool.

Pool service was sparse. Receiving towels seemed like an interrogation..." What room sir? Name? First name?" Like really? You need to verify my first name??? Anyway, the pool is excellent, and there were plenty of chairs to lounge in. The pool bar has its moments, and the folks staffing it were very nice, but it was woefully understaffed. If you are expecting a waiter to stop by your chair and ask if you need anything, it is not going to happen. You will need to go to the bar and order there, and since the bartender also had to get the food and deliver drinks, you may be waiting there alone for a while. Seemed to be a ridiculous cost cutting measure that actually lowered revenues, but what do I know.

Stayed in the hotel on Saturday night due to storms, and decided to hit the restaurant again. Upon entry, I was informed that there were no tables available, despite that there were at least 4 in view with no one at them. When I asked about them, I was informed that they were "reserved". My wiater frend from the night before whispered something to them, and they said "are you staying int he hotel? You may be seated there, but it is reserved." I still have no idea what that meant. The meal, again pricey, was pretty darn good.

So the rest of the trip went similarly, and on Monday, I was to check out. I received my bill, and given that I had lunch and drinks at the hotel every day, and the upgrade charges, I had an additional bill of about $1,000. I asked for a late checkout, as my flight was not until 5pm, and I wanted to enjoy the day at the pool. They granted an extension to 1pm, so I asked the front desk if they could see clear to give me until 3pm, so I could change clothes before my flight. They checked with the manager, who said they would, but only for an additional $100. I asked "so my spending a thousand dollars in ups gets me no consideration here", and the answer was....no. I was directed to a public shower where I could change clothes. Ridiculous. I cannot imagine any high class hotel doing this....other than this one.

Take the comments for what they are worth, but for the money, I simply would not return. There are so many options in SoBe, that putting up with the attitude was just not worth it.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled solo