Tripadvisor
Miami Beach
16,757 results
All reviews tresor tower sorrento tower bleau bar club liv pool area junior suite beach service lobby bar hotel is beautiful ocean view amazing service people watching south beach pool staff valet parking beach chairs scarpetta
Selected filters
Reviewed January 21, 2020

The Fontainebleau is such a gorgeous hotel. Definitely a hotel to check out if you’re trying to have a good time. But what really made it a great time was the wonderful and attentive beach staff. Shoutout to Leonel and William, the beach attendants who really know how to make you feel at home. Even while being bombarded with guest and tasks to do, these gentlemen really go hard and truly care about their guest. No request is too big or too small for them.

Date of stay: January 2020
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
FontainebleauMB, Manager at Fontainebleau, responded to this reviewResponded 5 weeks ago

Thank you for your review! It is inspiring to hear of our Team Members’ enthusiasm and exemplary service. We are delighted to hear you enjoyed a beautiful day at the Fontainebleau and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Warmest Regards,

Reviewed January 21, 2020

This hotel was everything, but our experience last weekend would give anyone a putrid feeling. Read this review to gain perspective on how relying on a historic reputation, combined with eroding what could be a lovely hotel with extreme monetizing, all while staffing people who express no desire to help through obfuscation and sarcasm, will get you what Fountainebleau has become: a total ripoff. Let's break it down!

1. CHECK-IN: We arrived to a check-in line that was a block or two long, literally. With a lobby full of people laying on their luggage, it looked like we were in a disaster relief shelter. After standing in line for an hour or we find out that their 'system is down' and they were checking people in manually. What this meant was, we waited in line only to give them our name and cellular number and wait for them to call us when the room is ready. We waited over six hours!! They only allowed us one room key. This problem started no later than Jan 13th and lasted through Jan 20th, which also meant there was not internet and 'cash only' throughout the hotel, and Fountainebleau refugees hanging in the lobby each afternoon. Not a pleasant experience.

2. THE ROOM: The room was unacceptable for ANY hotel. We were promised a King bed and got two double/queen. The was not vacuumed and had food crumbs. Artwork had been ripped off the wall and not replaced. There were claw marks all over the headboard as if some had been shooting an unsavory film in there, or several. We had to call to get our room serviced, and it took them three days to clear out our glasses, plates and garbage we had neatly stacked for removal. Basically they made the beds and threw fresh towels in the bathroom. Each morning at about 4am, we were awakened by the valets and security below our window yelling at cars as they direct traffic and club-goers; this was objectionably loud. One or two of these would suck, but when you add them up it was just not what anyone would expect from the Fountainebleau.

3. THE POOL: If you make the mistake of staying at the Fountainebleau and head to the pool, have your room key ready. The pool security impersonally steps in front of you and signals with their hand they need to see your key. No 'Hello', No 'Welcome to the pool', Just a big-body move like they are bouncing at some strip club. The pool is expansive, but venture to the most secluded parts and you are still subjected to pounding house music from their anemic 'pool party'. It is not just music, you get periodic sirens, horns, and yelling from the DJ. (Go to Nikki Beach for a fun day party).

4. THE STAFF: READ THIS! The difference between nice hotel and a top notch hotel is the staff. The Fountainebleau's staff was the real failure of the weekend. I know they were dealing with a computer system meltdown, but they themselves totally melted down. There was no accountability as they would periodically say 'There is nothing I can do'. It got so bad that management started hiding, seriously!! Rather than step up when there is a problem, in an effort to get the guests the best experience under the circumstances, they skirted responsibility to the point where, by the end of the weekend, there were hardly any staff to be found. It was surreal! At one point I went to the concierge desk and asked to speak to a manager. Irina told me there was not a manager available. I told her there were a few issues I wanted to speak to someone about, beyond the 'computer system issues'. That is when Irina said, "Well there is nothing I can do for you so you can save your speech for someone else." I was totally shocked, obviously not expecting to hear that. I approached in polite and empathetic way and was totally disrespected. Their patience had clearly waned to the point where they were just being snide and sarcastic to everyone. Reggie on the beach was super cool, they need more of him.

THE FOOD: These restaurants deserve their own reviews, but I will keep this short. El Cote is swimming pool snack-bar quality food with michelin star prices. You will get limp fish on a soggy bun with average french fries. 'Hakkasun' should be called Hack-asun, its a total fraud. You get Panda Express fried rice with truffle sprinkled in. There seemed to be an inverse correlation between item price and portion size. The 'Pizza and Burger by Michael Mina' does not take orders over the phone! I am not talking room service. I mean we called the place and told them we wanted them to start a pie for me to come pick up. I even offered to put down a CC. They told me I had to come down to place the order in person and wait for it to be done. There is not another pizza place in the USA that will not take an order over the phone for pick up. If there is, I won't go out of principle. Scarpetta was the saving grace. It was truly great.

In summary, DO NOT STAY HERE! It is a historic hotel that is now run by people who's only interest is their new investors, not your experience. The Fountainebleau has endured tragedy and change of management, but the changes have clearly been strictly for profit, and at the cost of the patrons experience. The Fountainebleau considers itself 'premium', but does not deliver premium accommodations nor a professional staff. Putting Liv nightclub in basement and shaving truffle on the fries will not keep this place classy. It takes a passionate approach to the guests. This hotel is bereft of any of those memorable details. If you've heard this place is nice, it is not. If you are nostalgic and want to stay here again, your memories will be ruined by a deteriorated standard. Like the sands of Miami Beach, The Fountainebleau is wasting away.

3  Thank zachc256
FontainebleauMB, Manager at Fontainebleau, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2020

We would like to extend our sincerest apologies for the negative experience you had due to our system outage. Our team is always looking for ways to better our service, and your feedback is an invaluable part of that process. We would greatly appreciate the opportunity to speak with you directly, for this reason our management team has attempted to reach out to you personally via TripAdvisor. We look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed January 21, 2020

Waited in line over 3hrs. to get a room key. We were told the computers were down. They didn't have enough staff at the front desk and this had been going on for two days prior to our arrival. Fontainebleau should have contacted us ahead of time and I would have gladly stayed somewhere else! Fontainebleau failed!

4  Thank vacationgirl1

Reviewed January 21, 2020

They claimed a cyber attack, but had no answers to any questions except asking us to please wait and be patient. After our first 12 hours of being there and not checked in we finally stopped standing in line. Lack of communication and organization made this even worse. The staff was hiding from all guests and things never got better. Food orders took hours with no apology, bars only took cash, reservations had to be cancelled. Fontainebleau was very disappointing after looking forward to a nice getaway.

Room tip: Dont stay here
3  Thank ribrucha

Reviewed January 21, 2020

I arrived at 8:40 pm Friday for check-in and waited about 3 hours in the check-in line.
11:40 pm: My family walk into our suites and one was not clean, and was gross with open condom wrapper on table, crushed food on the carpets, all kinds of stains on the toilet, used tampon on the floor. I immediately walked downstairs at 11:45 pm to the Tresor desk and was told someone would clean right away.
12:45 am: No one came to room, so I went back downstairs and demanded to be moved. I was told there were no more rooms.
1:10 am (Sat morning): A housekeeper came to the room. I wanted to hurry and get the room done, and I felt bad for the housekeeper, so actually helped by cleaning the toilet (as in all the stains), bathroom counters and the bathroom floor myself. I even gave the housekeeper $20 because it was so late in the night. She did not have a vacuum, so the crushed food remained on the carpet.
About 4:00 pm Sunday: My girlfriend and daughter were showering to get ready to go to Wynwood for pics while there was still daylight. I think it was hotel manager Alfred Reynoso who came to both rooms to tell us we had to move rooms that night because of some conference. On a separate note to hotel management, maybe don’t go into rooms unless you know who is in them, my teenage daughter was alone and going to the bathroom when she heard a man’s voice in the room. That really scared her. We were told a bellman would come at 4:45 to move us. Because of the whole moving our rooms, we had to ditch to Wynwood trip. I was afraid we might wind up with no rooms that night. I called Alfred’s direct line multiple times with no answer during all of this.
5:15 pm Sunday: A bellman finally showed up to move us, and he was confused about the rooms, so we did not get to the new rooms for like another 20 minutes.

3  Thank LargoJohn

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your recent experience at Fontainebleau. We are saddened to learn of the challenges you encountered and would appreciate the opportunity to speak with you directly. Our management team has attempted to reach out to you personally via TripAdvisor. We look forward to hearing from you.