“Amazing Hotel with staff that care”

Fontainebleau Miami Beach
Ranked #43 of 207 Hotels in Miami Beach
“Amazing Hotel with staff that care”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2010

I travelled to Miami from Scotland on my honeymoon (my husband has always loved the look of Miami so we picked the flashiest hotel for our honeymoon). I had read a lot of reviews on this hotel that weren't so good - staff rude, overpriced, too far out. That could not be further from the truth! Arriving at the hotel after 20 hours of travelling and a 5 hour time difference was tiring but the chap who checked us in was lovely! He found out we were on honeymoon and immediately upgraded us to the most gorgeous room - kitchen, jacuzzi bath, huge balcony, amazing sea views!! Tresor Tower - 32nd floor!

We stayed at the Fontainebleau for 2 weeks, which is a long time at an expensive hotel but we managed fine on a budget. We are not a wealthy couple, and had a tight budget of just $300 per day to spend - if this is just on food you would struggle, never mind having drinks too! But everywhere in Miami is expensive so the hotel prices were actually quite reasonable. We did end up having microwave macaroni and hot dogs most nights but we like to spend all of our money on drinking and clubbing so that's just our preference! haha.

The pool boys were fantastic - couldn't do enough to help you, and I listened to then often trying to figure out ways to better their service, and quizzing each other on aspects of the hotel (something that scottish workers dont seem to care about). The pool bar staff and waitresses were lovely too, and very friendly. If you are ordering drinks from the bar they will charge you a service charge, but this is much less than ordering from the waitresses who will expect an extra tip too!

You will need to get a taxi into the main strip at night (Ocean Drive, Washington Avenue best places for nightlife) but this is only around $10. If you are in early you can catch a bus for $2 each, but the last bus stops around 9.50pm!

All of the restaurants look lovely although we only dined in Gotham Steak House ($24 burger, $50 steak) and Vida which do a wide range of food at EXCELLENT prices.

The hotel was so clean and fresh, and there were always nice little touches left in our room, chocolates, coffee etc. You do pay a lot to stay at this hotel, but to live in luxury you have to pay for it! I wouldn't have stayed anywhere else - especially after taking a trip round the city tour bus - none of the hotels even look half as nice as the Fontainebleau!

LIV nightclub was easy to get into despite what most reviews say (although we are a young couple that are easy on the eye) and is a great night out!

I would absolutely recommend this hotel to anyone, and you can definetly even do it on a budget! Can't believe i've had to come home - I miss it so much!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,368)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2010

I absolutely love this hotel!!!! I had so much fun. Our room was gorgeous. One day on our vacation, we didn’t leave the hotel at all. We had a deluxe ocean view corner room with a balcony. The balcony is huge! The rooms and decorations are really nice. The hotel is huge and we still didn’t get a chance to walk around the whole hotel. We stayed at the Chateau and I would like to stay there again. The spa, Lapis, is fabulous. I loved every minute of it. It is a little pricey but it is worth every penny. The equipment at the gym will make you want to work out every day. The food was good also. The servers were really nice and polite.

I do have a few complaints, but it can happen anywhere. With the price we paid for the room, I expected a microwave and/or a refrigerator. The late night room service isn’t worth much but we were able to order food from outside the hotel and they delivered it to our room. We had to wait 4 hours for our room to get ready so in the mean time we walked around the pool, viewed the hotel and had lunch. Other than that, the check in and checkout process went smoothly.

A little extra tip: If you want to go to Liv, be prepared for an unusual experience. Liv, the club, is a total waste. I wouldn’t suggest partying there. They don’t care if you are staying at the hotel or not, it is hard to get in. There were so many people who were at the front of the line that didn’t get in. They were only picking group of single girls and people willing to pay extra. They didn’t pick too many couples, guys, certain race, etc. Since I was with guys, we stayed in line for almost an hour. One security guard said we had to pay $40 each to get in (which I didn’t mind). So another security guard gave us complimentary passes so we were able to walk in the club. The security guard, who told us we had to pay $40, followed us in the club for the money. We finally realized we didn’t pay the club but we actually paid him. I would have rather paid the club instead of someone who totally made a fool out of us. The drinks are crazy high. We got a shot of patron for $18 each. I can’t complain because it normally runs $10 (at other clubs) and the bartender gave us a double shot for the price.

The hotel adds a 20% gratuity to everything! It is about 2 miles from everything. We didn’t rent a car because valet is expensive ($37 a night), but the cab and bus fare are a lot cheaper so it worked out. If you don’t care about money, I recommend staying here. If money is tight, this is not the hotel for you.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2010

I chose this hotel for a fun and relax weekend in Miami! it turned is a nightmear!!!!
My bag got stolen in the hotel and I didnt have money or IDs or phone.
The Hotel staffs was the worst! they didnt help at all and made everything much more difficult! they were really unpolite to me and they wanted me to charge me for extra even if my bag was stolen in the hotel.. with all the security around and all the hotel staffs araund..
The room was pretty small and smelly! I paid a lot of money and had a lot of problems! I met people really unpleasent that work there! PLEASE DONT GO!!!!!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
2 Thank travelers96
Pittsburgh,PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2010

First I have to explain that I don't take alot of faith in reviews because I feel that reviews depend on what a person(s) is accustomed to when traveling. My husband and I travel a few times a year and usually save beforehand to stay at the "better hotels/resorts".
We have been staying at the Fontainebleau for years and since the remodeling, it is absolutely gorgeous!! No other hotel can compare, although we did stay a night at the Ritz South Beach and it is gorgeous as well, but can't beat the Fontainebleau.
We were on our Honeymoon and stayed a night at the Fontainebleau. As stated before, this was not our first time and when we checked in the representative asked us if we had stayed beofre. Since we were return guests, he upgraded our room. By the time we arrived at the room, room service was at the door with a candy dish and snacks and a great welcome card. Because we didnt check in until later in the day and the pool was "closed". It is an endless pool with great cabanas. A worker at the Fontainebleau stated the the staff would not mind if we used the pool and was actaully demanding that we enjoy our stay and use the pool. We did use the pool and hot tub and it was fabulous. We thought about eating at one of the restaurants but were too tired to shower and get dressed up. We decided to order room service and we were sooooo glad we did. We ordered a ton of food, to include Fettucine Alfredo, French Onion Soup and appetizers. Each items was to die for!!!!!! I highly recommend the room service and Alfredo!! We left the following day forgetting to each at the bakery in the lobby.
DO NOT book this hotel if you are on a limited budget. It is very expensive, however we felt that it is worth every penny and will continue to be our favorite of all time! This is not a Hilton, Sheraton, Doubletree or Weston! This has an UPSCALE nightlife, spa, food and pool. You will not be accepted into the club with street clothes or if you are expecting a public city club/bar.
DO book this hotel if you want to spoil yourself and/or are accustomed to upscale hotels, like the Ritz Carlton. This is unsurpassed quality and service that you can't put a dollar amount on. This has UPSCALE nightlife, spa, food and pools. You will not be accepted into the Club with street clothes or think you are in a public city club/bar.
E-mail me with any questions at [--]. Make it in Re: Fontainebleau Question so I dont disregard it as spam.
Five+ stars......Incredible

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2010

Went with friends June 27- June 30. Had a great time. Such a beautiful resort. Flight arrived few hours early and we were able to check in early (11am) with no problem. Resort is ocean front and has one of the best pool areas ive seen. It's even more beautiful at night when its all lit up. Didn't realize that the pool is open even after sunset until we walked around and saw people swimming very late in the evening! Very family friendly if traveling with children. Rooms include a desk top computer so there is no need to bring a computer from home. Hotel is a little pricey (dining, umbrella rental, etc), but would spend the extra and stay here again. Great ambience when walking through the doors. Jet ski rentals are available onsight too. Overall, great service and great stay.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2010

Our trip to the Fontainebleau resort was absolutely amazing. The service was oustanding throughout our entire stay. The staff was welcoming, helpful and extremely friendly. One evening, we went and had dinner at Scarpetta and it was delicious. The italian food was really good there and our waiter was very friendly and knowledgeable about the different dishes. The room service was also perfect. The highlight of our stay was the beautiful pool. We spent most of our days there and all the pool staff were very energetic and accomodating. We were unsure about how the pool operated with chairs, umbrellas, etc. There was a very nice guy, Yuniel, who helped us with all our needs and informed us of all the wonderful amenities the hotel offered. Also, he checked up on us the whole day making sure our day at the pool was as good as could be. He was very enjoyable to talk to. The bar service by the pool was fantastic. A bartender, Melissa was very friendly and recommended us to very delicious drinks. Overall, I would recommend this hotel to anyone who loves Miami. Everything in the hotel was a bit pricey so make sure to be prepared to spend a lot. I believe that this is the best hotel on the beach. We had a wonderful stay.

Oklahoma City
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2010

Spent two nights before taking off to Barbados. The room was pricey, but we got an upgrade upon check in. Room was nice, bathroom nice also. The grounds and interior of hotel are lovely. The main bar is very dramatic. The outdoor bars are cute. Lots of attendants, nice pool chairs and towels. Nice beach chairs, BUT beware if you want to raise your beach umbrella, it will cost around $25.00. Ridiculous. The umbrella is there already. Tree specialists were pruning the palms with chain saws so it was a little noisy. The people that work at the hotel were extremely gracious and helpful. The hotel is quite large. The day we checked out, they were expecting 1200 rooms to be filled by Aalso ate at Joe Allen's which was fabulous. Valet parking is over-priced, too.