“Girls Weekend”

Ranked #46 of 208 Hotels in Miami Beach
Chicago, Illinois
“Girls Weekend”
Reviewed May 21, 2010

I traveled to the Fountainebleau with two friends for a girls weekend. The three of us are in our 30's, married, well traveled and had a pretty good idea how expensive the hotel was before we arrived. South Beach is not a cheap area to visit so if you are looking for a cheap Florida vacation try another city.
I had a wonderful time and definitly would recommend this hotel to anyone traveling to South Beach. Yes you have to pay for some of the chairs/cabanas around the pool but this is typical of most high end resorts. There are plenty of chairs on the lawn, which we used. The service at the pool was kind of slow ... but when 2 average size drinks cost $34 maybe that is not a bad thing.
Our room was nice, clean, comfortable and we loved the free internet/MAC in our room. The gym was really nice but kind of hot. The spa was great... best facial ever!
The restaurant at the pool was wonderful! Lunch for 3, with 2 drinks and 1 coke was about $130 each day. Pricy for lunch but the food/service was good.
The only "issue" I had was access to the pool. I do wish that it did not close at dusk. It would have been nice to sit in the hot tub after dinner. Also, we did get kicked off of the lawn one night when they were preparing for an event...
Overall it was a nice place but if cost is a big deal try somewhere else.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank TakeMeAway09

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,395)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Wooster, Ohio
Reviewed May 19, 2010

Thank goodness the company paid for the hotel,breakfast & dinner. Otherwise it would be like throwing $$ out the window!!! Yea the lobby area looks nice, but billion dollar renovation? We've stayed at much better for less. Rooms was nothing great. Hair dryer was broken- switch on it was missing. We went down to the pool only to find out that everything has a price. $150 padded lounge chairs - $250 round beds - $425 cabannas - $9 hot dog - $18 cheesburger- $8 bottle water - Plus 18% added on everything and with bad service!!!!! Go figure that people were paying for all that. Also pool closes at dusk! You can't use the hottubs at night. We had to leave at 4:30 one day because they were setting up for an outside dinner and took away all the free lounge chairs. I will say all the food that was served for our company dinners was excellent. Other than that, it's a hotel based on stars from the past and a place to be seen. I guess if you have money to blow. Thats the place to do it. I would never personally pay to stay there.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank madohio
New York City, New York
Reviewed May 18, 2010

Just got back from a 3 night stay at the Fontainebleau in Miami. I stayed here about 13 years ago before the renovation, so I thought I would be somewhat familiar with this landmark hotel. I was wrong. The hotel is completely different and has changed dramatically, sometimes for the good, and sometimes for the bad. Unfortunately the hotel has lost its identity. In my opinion it has forgotten what made it famous. The renovated hotel went for the trendy look . I believe this is a mistake. It now has the feel of a very large W hotel. Everything at this hotel is for show including the entire pool area.

The majority of the pool areas are dominated by high priced beds and cabanas that look cool, but unless you are into paying 150.00 to 450.00 per day to use them, they are not anything an average person could take advantage of. There are not enough regular lounge chairs around the pool, and most of them are back away from the pools. All of the good locations are occupied by the beds and cabanas.

Everything in this hotel is ridiculously expensive. How about 16.50 for a Pina Colada at the pool bar. How about 8.00 for a can of Coors Light. Everywhere you go from the bars to the shops to the restaurants, you cannot get away from the ridiculous prices. I like to go to an expensive restaurant for a couple of nights during a vacation, but not every single meal. The breakfast buffet was 28.00 per person, plus an 18% service charge.

The place has several excellent high end restaurants, but they do not have any reasonably priced places to eat. If you eat here every night, you will be spending a great deal of money on your meals.

The room I had was great. Nice and clean, a very large bathroom, a large balcony, and a nice king sized bed. I very much enjoyed my room.

The place looks great, but tries to hard to be trendy.

Another tip is if you have a car, I would recommend you park in the public lot a block away, next to the Eden Roc. The valet at the hotel can be slow at times and is expensive 35.00 per night.

Overall I would say the hotel looks great, but does not offer many practical anemities that are not way overpriced.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ron-from-NY
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed May 17, 2010

Me and my friend had reservations at Gotham Steak inside the hotel, we showed up and we were told to wait 5 minutes to get sitted, 30 mins went by and asked the guy and he had completely forgoten that we were at the bar waiting. They brought us the apetizers before the wine. They attempted to take away the plates and silverware twice while i was still eating. I asked them for some more bread and never got it. We shared an apetizer and had to main courses that were not the expensive ones and the check came up to over $200, and the food was nothing special. In addition to that, when i went to pay for the valet parking ($12) the credit card machine wasn't working. Everything there is so innefficient and poor in services... but if they include the service fee in the bill why bother right? they are going to get tipped anyway... I am used to the quality of service from restaurants in NYC and Boston, where i spend most of my time... and Gotham Steak has a very long way to go to even be consider a borderline decent restaurant.

Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
Hoboken, New Jersey
Reviewed May 17, 2010

I have NEVER been annoyed enough to write a negative review regarding terrible service in a hotel (except for now). I traveled to Miami with 15 girlfriends to celebrate my closest friends Bachelorette Party. From the moment we checked into the "Newly Renovated" Fontainebleau in Miami we had problems. Being so many girls, we realize not every request could have been met, however nothing seems to be capable for this staff. From putting us in separate towers (when requesting to be together), to not having any rooms ready for us when we arrived, was the start of our bad luck here. After finally sorting out our rooms, we could never find chairs at the pool (and we went down at 9am!), and would order food to have it be served 2 hours later and raw! This trend of not getting anything as ordered occurred the entire weekend. Once we were done with our awful pool experience, the hotel checked several of us out of our rooms too early when we were "scheduled to stay for 3 nights", and had to switch our rooms twice in the course of a 3 days stay. Construction drilling noise woke us up nice and early at 7am (instead of the sound of ocean), and several of us woke up with bed bug bites on our body. The staff managed to apologize by sending us vodka to the room, but for $18 cocktails and terrible service we all left feeling disappointed. My girlfriends and I would never go back!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank chrisvout
New Jersey
Reviewed May 17, 2010

This was my 2nd visit too The Fontaineleau and I must say it was one of the BEST I have ever had in my life. Everything went ok from check-in to check-out. At check-in I was greeted by the not so friendly agent, then the bellman escorted me too my room he was extremely nice. I then had dinner at Gotham which everything was amazing. Then I hit the pool which service was BAD the service was so slow at one point I decided to get my own drinks at the bar. Then there was the concierge that made my stay the BEST ever this concierge was polite and extremely helpful anything I needed she would get it for me she also gave me the best recommendations to the restaurants, booked my tee-time at Miami Beach Golf Course (which by the way its a beautiful golf course).She actually listen to what I wanted and was right on top of the ball also had extremely great memory. She remember my room number and WOW that was impressive after all the guest she deals with she made me feel special. I really have to give thanks to Alisha she was great and made my stay one of the best I have ever had there. Thank you so much again Alisha Leon you really made me feel like a guest. Hope too see you soon and yes I will return to The Fontainebleau.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 15, 2010

I'm going to be real here the hotel is amazing. It's really big with great restaurants like Scarpeta. This is the only positive thing though. The service is horrible. Our first day we went to our buildings pool which was located in the 5th floor. The attendant was friedly and assisted us with hotel information, now as soon as we went down stairs the staff completely change. We walked around for 20 minutes and no one offered service to us. One othe managers was under an umbrella chatting in his Walkie talkie, the others were under a tree chatting away. What a waste of money, we ended upgping to our building pool to relax. Valet is the slowest I've seen in my 55 years of life. What lost to Miami beach this is nothing like what the Hilton had.

• Stayed April 2010