“Well worth the price.”

Ranked #45 of 208 Hotels in Miami Beach
New York City
“Well worth the price.”
Reviewed May 26, 2009

The recently renovated Fontainebleau Hotel was more than I imagined when I planned our trip. The renovation was beautiful, the service excellent and the restaurants were so good that we did not want to leave the hotel to dine.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank LouBNYC

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,410)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
Philadelphia
Reviewed May 26, 2009

I have stayed at this hotel before the renovations, during the renovations and now, wow after the renovations! I thought the service was outstanding, the property is in beautiful shape, and the experience unparalleled on South Beach. The rooms are spacious with great views. My room overlooked the intercoastal. Do try to get an oceanview room but really any room here offers a great view. Beds are comfy and the shower products are from the spa. The pool is an experience and a visual feast for the eyes. Weekends offered a DJ that had the place jamming by 3 p.m. Early morning runs along the beach were easy with quick access. Hotel security is plentiful by the pool.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank GayPhillyTraveler
Boston
Reviewed May 26, 2009

We were there for a medical conference for 4 days this May. Beautiful resort but very pricey food wise. On first day, spent $25 for take out sandwich and ice tea. Tough on our academic salaries. Most of our other meals were away from the hotel. Although they said there was charge for the internet, we were able to get it free from the Mac in the room. Great for checking emails. Resort is very clean and looks great after it's makeover. Not much to do in the immediate area other than the beach and the pool. Need to take a taxi to get to restaurants and South Beach. About $10 for a taxi ride there. There is a night club in the lobby and the New Kids on the Block were there one night. Lobby ends up hopping at night but the rooms stay quiet. I did not bring my kids but there is a kiddy pool on the premises and the beach. At night, the dress and club scene is probably not appropriate for children but hopefully they are in bed by then.
Conference facilities are very good and it is nice to have a break by the pool or beach when we got tired.

Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
Boston, MA
Reviewed May 25, 2009

I travel quite a bit and do like to read reviews posted on Trip Advisor and often times pick up great tips and am able to quickly establish where and what to avoid while on vacation. After reading the numerous negative reviews about this hotel, I was expecting the absolute worst.

Upon arrival, we were greeted by a very friendly staff and I must say that they remained true to form for the remainder of our stay. Always very friendly, cheerful and helpful. We had guaranteed a suite with two queen beds and a pull out sofa, but were put in a room with a king sized bed and told that there were no other options. Not willing to take no for an answer and after turning down option 2 on the second floor (located above the nightclub), we were moved to an even bigger suite in another part of the hotel. While offputting at first and a not great way to start off the trip, the staff could not have been nicer and we quickly settled in for a great vacation.

We decided to check out the hotel until the remainder of our party arrived and happened upon the complimentary fitness center located on the first floor between the Sorrento tower and main hotel lobby. It was perfectly fine and FREE.

We had a great dinner at Blade (the sushi restaurant). The waiter was wonderful and offered us the option of eating our dessert in one of the poolside cabanas outside the restaurant. It was a wonderful way to start off the weekend!

We ate in Vida for breakfast. It was fine, but nothing to write home about. The service was okay and when the waiter forgot to bring one of our group their smoothie, he brought it over very apologetically and free by the way.

We spent the day by the pool and found chairs with absolutely no probelm at all. The reviews that I read made me think that I'd have to be out there at 8 AM to reserve chairs, but we found five in a row for our group and settled in for the day. Our server was fantastic and friendly. She checked in on us often and brought nice tall cups of complimentary ice water with sliced lemon. Yes, it was water, but for those of you who think that everything comes with a price, that is simply not true. We were also treated to ice cold towels to cool off with during the day. The only drawback that I could find was the fact that many of the chairs were located on grass, which was a bit muddy due to all of the rain that Miami had been recently treated to.

The remainder of our stay was just as great and we certainly would go back. For all of the reviews complaining about high prices, I would just say that this hotel is just not for everyone. The prices are no different than staying in Vegas or New York where everything is additional and drinks are hard to find under $15 per cocktail. I was grateful to Trip Advisor and the other reviews and learned a few great tips: 1. there was a free fitness center and we did find it. 2. an 18% gratuity is added to all dining, so do not double tip. 3. avoid staying on the lower floors, as there is not much of a view.

Vacations are by definition expensive but can certainly be done on a budget. If you are going to Miami and plan to stay here, bring your wallet and have a blast!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank onthego71
miami beach
Reviewed May 24, 2009

I am the Director of client services for Rosenhaus Sports, we represent about 120 NFL football players. It is my job to make sure that my clients stay at the nicest hotels where ever they choose to vacation. In the past 4 months I have sent over 40 of our clients to the FB and I have received nothing but thank you's from them explaning that this is one of the nicest resorts they have ever stayed at. The food is amazing, Hakasan is delicious, the night club LIV is the best club in Miami Beach, the grounds and pool are above and beyond. Most of all, the service is 6 stars, from valet to house keeping the staff knows how to take care of each and everyone of their guests. If you are looking to get away on a dream vacation, look no further than the FB. The beds are soooo comfortable, they have flat screen TV's in every room, apple PC's and the views are incredible. By sending my clients to this resort it makes me look very good and that is why I am going out of my way to take the time to write this review. I can be reached at mkatz@rosenhaussports.com if anyone would like to ask me any questions about my experience at the FB. You get the best Value for your Buck!!!

• Stayed May 2009
usa
Reviewed May 23, 2009

As a frequent flyer and critical consumer, I expect more then value for my money. I expect the extra special experiences and amazing details for my stay.
My husband and I had an easy check in and were thrilled with the room. Being a little bit of a 'germophobe' I inspect the room and bathrooms with fine detail. I was pleased. No dirt, no remnants of earlier guests. Quite the contrary, the room sparkled and the air smelled fresh. While we spend very little time in the room, given the gorgeous surroundings, I was pleased with speed and accuracy of room service and the speed to remove the dirty dishes/tray. The most important quality of the hotel is the staff. The staff are cordial, helpful, young and spirited. They couldn't do enough with recommendations, showing us the outdoor facility and providing the small amenities. We ate in 4 of the restaurants. Gotham was as good as it's mother property. Food and service were great both times we ate there, once at the tables and once at the bar.
The Sunday brunch at Scarpetta was awesome. Sitting outside with a view of the ocean and the pools rated at 10+ of 10 and the food was topnotch also. La Cote was superb for a midday lunch again with the great outdoors surrounding the tables. Last but not least was Hakkasan. After hearing Regis mention it 30 times, over the week, I was afraid I'd be disappointed after the hype. It turned out to be exceptional, one of the best meals ever. The only disappointment was the days were not long enough. Too little day light for the boardwalk, the pool and the outdoors. We already booked next year's trip.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Saratoga Springs, NY
Reviewed May 22, 2009

My husband and I needed to get away from the harsh NY winter, and we wanted to do so with our 3 month old. After reading the reviews I was a little hesitant to book here; however, we had a wonderful time and enjoyed the experience.

Let's be honest, the place is newly renovated, very hyped, trendy and appeals to the sexy jet-setters. But, there absolutely was a place for a young couple and their baby. Maybe it was the stroller, but everywhere we went the staff would bend over backwards to make sure we were comfortable. We asked for a crib and although it wasn't in the room when we arrived, it was brought up shortly (after a phone call reminder) and they provided complimentary baby bath products - Johnson's and my favorite, Little Twig - plus a plush toy.

The pool scene was just that, a scene. And the chairs did fill up rather quickly. The cabanas are pricey, but if you're there with other couples or a bunch of single friends, it would work if you split the cost. We opted for the beach and although the beach chairs and umbrella were not cheap, I have to say that they were the most comfortable beach chairs with extra-thick padding and nice, plush towels. The beach itself was OK, I thought they should rake it in the morning because there was a lot of seaweed in many places.

We ate at Gotham which was nice - pricey - but nice. We did have reservations and had to wait while the staff had a meeting. They kept us waiting for 15 minutes and with an infant, every second counts. But she slept through the entire dinner and my husband and I had a wonderful time. The steaks were good and the wine list extensive.

For breakfast we ate at Vida. Not bad, not great. The breakfast buffet seemed like the best option. Again, it's pricey, but I didn't look at the a la carte menu for comparison.
Fresh for lunch is good. We usually had sandwiches and they were pretty good. Again, $13 for a sandwich and fries is a little much, but you're paying for the convenience.

So, the jist here is that it's a trendy place, but it's a resort. You pay resort prices for the convenience. There are a lot of beautiful people roaming around, but there were also plenty of strollers too. We didn't have any problems with our room: it was clean, well appointed and the internet/MAC worked. If you want something different and can afford this for a 2-3 night getaway it's worth it.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family