“Beautiful Hotel !!”

Fontainebleau Miami Beach
Ranked #44 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed March 13, 2009

I was just to the Fountainebleau with my girlfriends.
I thought the rooms were on the small side, yet very stylish. We had a very nice intracoastal view from our room.
The lobby bar is very cool. The floor lights up at night giving it a very new look.
We had breakfast and lunch in Vida. The food was excellent as was the service.
The poolside service was very slow tho. It took a very long time for people to get their drinks and food. We heard alot of complaining.
We did have to take a taxi when we went for dinner, which cost about around $15.oo to get to Joe's Stone Crab. So, not too bad. This hotel is too far away for walking and we didn't want to deal with driving and finding parking.
We did have to pay extra for parking our car.
But, the new Fountainebleau is gorgeous and a fun place to getaway to.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with friends

Reviewed March 12, 2009

When we checked in, the room looked clean enough. However, when I opened the guest robe after a shower, there were fresh "body stains" on the inside!! Clearly, the robe had never been laundered after the last guest's use. When I complained at the desk, the concierge just clucked and said: " How awful for you." Indeed. The in-room computer never gave us the Internet service we were told was available. After constant complaints, we gave up. The hotel's desk people were of absolutely no help whatsoever. In fact, they acted annoyed when I complained.
I would NEVER return to the Fontainbleau. And carefully check your hotel robes!!!!!

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank pawpawSt_Paul
Reviewed March 11, 2009

We had the pleasure of staying at the Fontainbleau for an entire week in late February. After reading other reviews on this site, we were a little apprehensive. But our stay proved those fears to be unwarranted.

The physical porperty was indeed impressive both in beauty and size. But we had no problem manuevering through the various areas. Our room in the Tresor Tower was lovely. We enjoyed our days poolside or on the beach. Dining was wonderful. We enjoyed Vida and Fresh. Scarpetta was superb!

What really impressed us most was the service. Contrary to other reviews, we found the entire staff extremely friendly and attentive. From the time we checked in until we checked out, we were always greeted pleasantly by any staff member we encountered...from front desk personnel to housekeeping and maintenance staff. Service in restaurants was prompt and the poolside staff were very attentive and accomodating.

It was a bit pricy, but it is a first class resort and that should be expected.
We thoroughly enjoyed our experience and look forward to returning some day.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mms27
Reviewed March 9, 2009

It was my 40th birthday and my husband decided to surprise me with a trip to an ultra cool destination - recently renovated Fontainebleau Resort. My friends also surprised me and joined us there for 2 nights. It took 50 minutes to check in. They lost my friends reservation (even thought they had their reservation number) and they had "VIP's staying in our room and we can't ask them to leave". We ended up being downgraded into a smaller room which was so disappointing considering we had booked 4 months earlier and paid for one night. The worst part was the manager telling us that it was the same room category and saize and then we found out it was 142 sq. feet smaller than what we had originally booked. We waited over an hour by the pool for our lunch to show up and almost one hour for drinks. By the time the first round arrived, we would order the second knowing it would take an hour. Both of us were charged for mini bar charges we never consumed. A friend of ours called the hotel and arranged to pay for a bottle of wine for my birthday dinner but the wine never appeared at our dinner. And when we complained to management, we got no response. We will be going back to the Breakers from now on.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank KABOttawa
Reviewed March 5, 2009

The reviews on the Trip Advisor for the Fontaine Bleau, Miami were mixed and we had some concerns for our week in South Miami. February 19-26, 2009. Most of the reviews on the Trip Advisor spoke of very poor service. We want to write this review to let others know of our experience at the Fountaine Bleau. Upon arrival our room was immediately upgraded. The room at the Chateau was beautiful and the view spectacular. The staff were helpful, polite and always pleasant. The accommodations were spotless and luxurious. Every staff person was thoughtful and would always go out of their way to help you in any way possible. I was impressed. Also, I thought the hotel was very reasonable for South Miami.

Janice from Ancaster, Ontario, Canada

4  Thank janwil51
Reviewed March 5, 2009

I've been going to Miami for over 5 years now. I've stayed from the Four Points by Sheraton all the way to the Acqualina ( Best hotel in Miami). But this hotel is the worst.
#1- No Doorman - Every hotel has a doorman, but not this place, and when I asked the front desk why not, they said "they are not sure".
#2- The place is bigger than an airport & extremely understaffed. There is nobody to help you with anything you need.(at least airports have assistance) The signs are tiny everywhere so until you find "reception" you can walk in circles
#3- Check in took forever because they only have 2 people checking in guests. Plus those same 2 people are answering phone calls, not paying attention to you. Why have a manger if they can make you wait on line for who knows how long.
#4- I stayed in the Chateau & paid a "discounted rate" of $750 per night. The rooms are spacious, but whoever re-designed it did a bad job. Not one molding in the room & they very cheaply just panelled over the existing structure. Very cheesy looking & not elegant at all. The outdoor terraces have a terrible smell on them from something the floor was made of, & if you want privacy you are not getting it because everybody on your floor can see you. Every hear of planters or frosted glass?
#5- The rooms Do NOT come with slippers, turndown service,drinking glassees, or even a coffee machine. if you want coffee in the morning you need to go downstairs & pay $$$ in the lobby store.
#6- Don't expect your room to get cleaned before 4pm & as mentioned before- there is no turn down service. Every 4-5 star hotel offers turn down service- but not them. Aloso I found garbage fvrom the previous guest & even a book that was left behind. Did anybodyy inspect the room before allowing a new guest in there?
#6- The Spa is very big. Hey have 108 lockers, but the relaxation room is not completed so enjoy sitting in your robe in an unfinished room. There are more lights on in the spa than in NYC on new years eve.relaxed yet? well they decided to do minor constuction there so enjoy the sauna with a jackhammer going off 15 feet over your head.
#7 But most importantly - the staff is terrible. Nobody smiles at you, there is nobody to ask questions to if you need help. The concierge always has a line ( I guess people are always complaining to them)
It's a waste of money & your time to come here. Stay down the block or next door if you must come for business, but if your coming for vacation, you will leave more irrated than before you came in.
Just because they been around for 60 years doesn't mean anything, they have a "name", but you are on your own the moment you walk in - nobody cares & nobody will help you. you do the math now

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with friends
5  Thank Tobnere
Reviewed March 3, 2009

Room – We were upgraded to a small suite, which was just as nice as or nicer than a small suite at Four Seasons or Ritz Carlton. Great view. No issues with room service the food and champagne was on time, cooked to order, and the service quick and painless.

Food – The restaurant Gotham Steaks was a real let down. Again, I have had the best and for the price, it was bad. Ruth Chris, which is much less expensive, is much better. $700 for four people (one appetizer of four medium pre-cooked crab claws was $100) with only $70 being wine is too much. The steak was overcooked (it came medium-well not medium-rare). The service was good but not great, they automatically put a twenty percent tip in (although I have no issue and tip well, they usually only do this for tables of six or more….). Vida was all right but here the service was bad - with hardly anyone in the place - and overpriced for the class of food.

Drinks – Some of the best cocktails I have had, however the prices are New York City prices or more – be prepared if you are not ready to spend. By that, I mean $15 for a cocktail, $15-$25 for a glass of wine, and they tend to put in print that they are using high-end sprits but I saw on multiple occasions a bartender pick up something like Triple Sec instead of Cointreau. Small switch but one you should not do when people are paying top dollar and you list it in your menu. In addition, for a high-end hotel, a little sleazy. I say this because it was not just one bartender, it happened across the board. There are no soda machines or water and water in your room is $10-$12.

Customer Service – Excellent everywhere from check-in, room service, parking attendants, and most wait staff (especially the pool bar). The major complaint I have here is the gentleman at the pool who rents the cabanas. He said $350. I said “You site says $250.”). He gave it to us for $250. This on a cool weekday when there was hardly anyone there. It smacked of a used car salesperson type interaction. The person was just a jerk and again, if you are trying to impress you are a first class hotel; get rid of the sleaze employees. They do not exist at your competitors.

Overall – We had a good experience and the staff made the stay. I do not know what happened to other people but all four of us had great interactions with staff (except the pool guy). I do quality assurance for a living so I know “picky”. Gotham’s cooking needs to get on board with their prices. Bars have excellent cocktails but bring your wallet. The hotel is beautiful and has been remodeled very nicely.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple