“Almost There, Will Be Great”

Fontainebleau Miami Beach
Ranked #41 of 214 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed December 6, 2008

Spent a weekend there, and enjoyed the new look of the place overall. Service was decent, but not perfect. The best service took place at the pool, where we rented an opium bed for the day, and were waited on hand and foot! The only negatives were that the pool could have been warmer, and we only found one jacuzzi which was packed.
The front desk was polite, but - when we asked for a room change - it took over two hours for them to accomodate us. They need to have more service professionals there based on the size of the facility. There are 4 towers; my advice is to avoid the Versailles and stay in one of the other 3 towers.
Be advised that this is a convention hotel, and not a small, cute locale. It gets packed, including with lots of kids.
As for dining, all of the restaurants are still newly open, and each one that we tried had good points along with some disappointments. I expect these to be cured by years end.
Overall, a funky, yet family friendly place to enjoy both eye candy and decent dining.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
Write a ReviewReviews (13,845)

Reviewed November 30, 2008

I should start by stating that the Fountainebleau Resort is a beautiful hotel, the proprietors seeming to not have spared any expense when it comes to the aesthetic and tactile elements.

But, that's where my being impressed ended. The service levels did not match the hotel's physicality. They were, at best, mediocre-- from the Front Desk to Housekeeping to Room Service. It was as if no one told the employees they were working in a luxury resort.

Housekeeping was terrible. I checked into a room in which the bathroom was not cleaned at all. The "clean" bathrobes in the closet had visible hairs. It took three days before my room was vacuumed, even after expressing my concern over it on a daily basis. Turndown service took place on only one night of the five that I stayed.

The "Ask Morris" service -- a sort of "one-stop shopping" experience for whenever you have a request/problem -- was beyond ineffective. One of my requests was completely ignored, and a wake-up call was entered incorrectly in their computer system, causing me to lose 45 minutes one morning.

The resort opened only one week before my stay, which may account for why a good number of the staff I encountered seemed to be floundering on common tasks. I would recommend not going to this hotel until after May 2009. Hopefully, by then, they would've worked out many of the kinks, and can therefore be a destination hotel in Miami.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank dude_from_ptown
Reviewed November 26, 2008

I don't know where to begin. I should have realized there would be a problem when i was on hold for 40 minutes trying to book the reservation with the hotel directly. They can't even use their phone system. The staff is surly and look miserable to be there. The rooms smell of incipient mold, And the food....they must be joking. Go anywhere but here.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled on business
2  Thank austinNYC
Reviewed November 24, 2008

My husband booked a room at the new Fontainebleau for a romantic getaway. He thought that it would be a treat to stay at the newly renovated hotel. Sadly, we were disappointed on many levels despite having booked a $350 room.
First, the front desk staff was inept. Two of the staffers were on the phone taking reservations and it was not until we complained to the bellman who was holding our luggage did someone check us in. The staffer checked us into a room with double beds although my husband had requested a king size bed. If my husband had not asked, we would have had to come back downstairs to change the room.
Once upstairs, we called to book a dining reservation. We were transferred three times before someone took our reservation. The restaurant we wanted to eat at is not open until March 2009!
We called for room service and we waited for an hour!! We left for dinner and they still had not showed up.
I called someone to fix the room safe, no one showed up.
When we arrived at the restaurant, Vida, we were told that there was no reservation for us. A slightly overwhelmed attendant fumbled through twenty slips of paper before she found our name. While we were there, two couples were turned away! I felt bad for them, apparently their slip got thrown in the garbage or something.
Dinner was okay but certainly nothing to write home about. The menu was all over the place. I am still not sure what they are trying to accomplish.
As another reviewer mentioned, most of the hotel is off limits. There is a lot of construction! Beware if you suffer from allergies, my eyes were watering most of the evening from the construction dust. It felt like they just put up the drywall yesterday. How they let this hotel open under these conditions is unimaginable. I believe the Soffer family must have pretty good connections with the City.
One plus is the room. It is new and very comfortable. Other than that, spend your money somewhere else for now.
For all of our troubles, we were offered free valet parking. What a joke!

• Stayed: November 2008
Reviewed November 23, 2008

Contrary to the assertions of the management, this hotel is not yet ready for prime time. There is still construction going on, meaning that large areas were not open to access including the pool (not to mention the noise). The restaurants and bars were not opened yet prompting a response to eat at the Sheraton Four Seasons next door. We were treated to a fire alarm, perhaps an attempt at test drill mode. As for the staff, although enthusiastic, they seemed to have little training and less experience and there certainly was no provision for troubleshooting or concierge services. The room and beach, however, were beautiful. In short, I would suggest this hotel in about February or March.

Stayed: November 2008
Reviewed November 12, 2008

I was scammed by Fontainebleau. Booked to stay in a "full-service" resort!? Fontainebleau is nothing more than a massive construction site. It is noisy and dirty. Fontainebleau does not have a restraunt, bar, gift shop, or decent pool. Not to mention the front desk managers are unapologetic and nasty!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed October 26, 2008

I am a Hotelista..........the room is it for me. So let me give you the pros and con about the Fontainebleau Resort. I stayed there with 3 friends from 10/16-10/19

PROS:
Location: on collins avenue, approx 20 min from airport
Across from Star Island on the Bay.

Room: Excellent!!! We were upgraded to 1bedroom ocean view
w/LR Dining Room,Full Kitchen Apple Computer (13.00 per dayusage)1 1/2 bthrms 2 terraces w/killer views.

Housekeeping- Was fabulous new towels,linens and amenities everyday with a smile and a hello.

Valet- Always 6 or 7 people at the Hotel door to help you in and out of your car. $30 day parking..........was waived at checkout...saved us 90.00

Pool Attendent- I must give a shout out to "SHEN" no request was denied, he was execellent and attentive

CON- They are in the middle of construction (3 more towers), due to be completed in November 2008. Any guest who complained was offered another suite.

This Hotel when completed is going to be "the place" to stay, with a restaurant and Casino...I will be back and I highly recommend it.

The Birthday GirlRosedale Queens