“Amazing Hotel by the Miami Beach Master Morris Lapidus, and amazing service.”

Fontainebleau Miami Beach
Ranked #42 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed June 27, 2014

The hotel is not only an architectural masterpiece by the guy who changed Miami Beach single handedly but the service is impeccable. Having been recently renovated they added to it's prestige and glamour that it once was. If Frank Sinatra loved this place, all you can do is love it too!! The tall blond guy at the front desk was extremely courteous and professional. Jaylen Lopez at the beach is also one of the best employees you guys have, he was genuine and very helpful.

• Stayed: June 2014

Reviewed June 27, 2014

My family and I booked a weekend at the Fontainbleau and were unaware that this was a event going on in South Beach that weekend. We arrived on Friday afternoon and were prepared to leave right away. The girl at the front desk saw my concern and went to get a manager. Stefanie the front desk manager came out and assured me that we will have the best weekend. She upgraded our room to overlook the ocean. She showed us where to go on the beach told us where to eat and really took care of us. We got up to our room the first night and had a little gift of chocalate covered strawberries waiting for us. This was great but she went further and called us everyday to make sure everything was ok. I am sure if hotels had more employees like her they would have a much better reputations than some of the horror stories that we hear about, its because of her treatment 5 families are going to the hotel at the end of the summer.Thank you for your concern

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed June 26, 2014

Hi All, who will read my feedback. First of all I’d like to mention that mainly my feedback is made for foreigners. So, if you are an American you can skip this free. It may not be useful and interesting for you.
Some personal information. My name is Yuliia and I’m from Ukraine.
I came to the US to attend the corporate conference organized by PepsiCo for its employees.
During the period since 06/17/2014 till 06/22/2014 I was staying in the Hotel Fountainebleay Miami Beach. Two nights I had for my personal account and that was my BIG MISTAKE! And that is why I have very fresh memoirs in my mind regarding “the service” at this hotel. I quoted the word “service”, because actually personally for me it was only semblance of the service. I saw that service existed but I didn’t feel this in terms of myself.
First of all about the place: Miami Beach is just fantastic place. Endless entertainments and fan, beautiful nature, bright sun and the majestic ocean. The super place who wants to have a super fan time at a super place.
Only one comment: be very careful!!! You may be cheated at every turn: in a taxi, in restaurants, etc. Always check your money: change, a bill in a restaurant, a route to a place and a fee for a taxi, etc.
And in this view the Hotel Fountainebleay Miami Beach is not an exception. Their declared 5* doesn’t correspond real 5* service at all, except only the prices which subject to this “service” ridiculously too high.
So, let’s go step by step.
Guest room
I was accommodated in a suite in the Tresor tower at floor 8. The room has two big rooms, a quite big bathroom, a balcony, a fully completed kitchen. The room is meant for handicapped people. No sea view.
Benefits:
• Only one: spacious room space.
Negatives:
Too many to mention everything, so only main ones:
• The room was completely killed by time and use, extremely demanding renovation.
• Cracked walls, falling ceiling plaster in all the rooms and especially in the bathroom; old, shabby furniture, esp. in the bathroom, threadbare carpet.
• Untidiness: the centuries-old dust in a wardrobe and in the bathroom, broken glass at the balcony. During all the week I was there nobody removed it. The empty bottle from water was laying close to my bed some days until I took it out.
• The balcony doors were unlocked because of broken locks. There was the risk that somebody could enter into the room because one floor below on 7 there was a swimming pool, so it was absolutely easy to get into the room.
• The blanket on the bed was old and fully in clumps.
• There were no bathrobes and slippers. I didn’t understand why. Handicapped people don’t need a bathrobe? I had mine so didn’t ask.
• There is no a phone in the bathroom!!! This is about safety stay. If something happened with you in the bathroom you can die there and maybe will be found only the next morning. So sad! The way from a bath to the closest towels was about 3-4 meters on the slippery floor…, so good luck! Handicapped people may have to study to fly!
• No kettle to warm water. I wanted to drink tea and there was some tee in the kitchen, but there was only a coffee machine without any manual how to use it. Put the manual for foreigners, please!
Opinion: For what purposes does the hotel keep the rooms like this? To provide to the corporate clients because of discount? Or it is only foreigners? Esp. from East Europe? Or this is “special service” for handicapped people? THIS IS AWFUL SHAME and completely unacceptable!
Beach service
This is a separate “favorite” subject!!! Here I could feel “the services” in all their magnificence!
Couple words about why I stayed longer than the conference. I wanted to see an ocean and to swim there. I love water so before my coming to Miami all this looked like super, fan adventure. If I knew before that I had been so disappointed I would find something else and better to stay in Miami, at least with service and suitable price!
So, now about the beach.
I came there in the morning at about 9.30, took towels, got a chair. You should understand that this is subtropics area, very close to big water, so the sun was very bright and hot even in the early morning. I saw that some people were already under umbrellas, I knew that I had to pay for an umbrella so went to the box where I presumed to get this service. When I came there I was fully “surprised” with the answer I got from the girl there: “We start to provide with services at 10. Well, come at 10.” That’s it. My question is: what should I do before 10!? Roast myself?
Ok, I had to wait till 10. When I came on the time I had to stay in the line regardless I came before, and when I, at last, reached “the magic lady” I was surprised again!
She asked me my room number. Nothing strange, but a room number consists of 5 figures! Just because of this my answer was : “I forgot, but here is my room key”. On the key there were my name and the period of stay. And “the lady”, did not fail to add as “Khm, zero room,” after what made me a BIG FAVOUR to sell me umbrella for 25$ with the comment like: “maybe I can find out this at the reception”. Probably she presumed that I went to the reception or to my room and find out this just to make her “hard” life easier!
Just a suggestion for the hotel: if you can put a name and period on the card, please put the room number as well!!!!!
After I got my umbrella I saw in my bill “magic phrase”: 18% for service.
I didn’t get any services there! The service guy only put my umbrella, cover my chair, refused to move my chair just not to be behind a big beach bed, didn’t propose any alternatives, and despaired forever.
I saw that in terms of the American guests around the personnel was kind and friendly, changed the towels regularly and tried to do their best to make their rest happy. And that was the most disappointed thing, when you pay the same money but don’t get anything!

Generally about the hotel staff
Very bad! They were not friendly and helpful. You have to ask, ask, ask, ask again almost about everything and always! They don’t smile, don’t want to help and even don’t try to do this.
The guests were much more friendly and kind than personnel. All this looked like employees were just punished by their work and did a big favor for guests, especially for foreigners. It was clear they couldn’t allow to have the same behavior in terms of the Americans. They would complain and at the end of the day they wouldn’t come for the next year. But who are the foreigners? People from another “planet”. This year they are here, next year not. So, it is possible just to relax and ignore them!
You may not believe but real friendly people I met only at the front door, at luggage place and in the Blade Sushi restaurant! That’s it. May be it just because at front and at luggage people get live money as tips. Blade Suchi was just a pleasant exception.
I didn’t mention the other examples of this “service” because I’ve already tired to experience again and again all this horrible stuff.

General opinion:
I strongly do not recommend this hotel anybody! You have a risk to pay big money for nothing! This is the ridiculously expensive hotel which doesn’t correspond announced 5*. I didn’t want to spend my money there!
My recommendation is: if you have money and want to get service just try to choose a global chain hotel, only not local one. Subject to the global presence they have to provide the same level of the service across the world.
Or if you do not have big money take 2*, 3* or 4* and get value for money.
I still don’t believe that across Miami-beach area all the hotels are like this F-5*-hotel.
So, Good luck and thank you for your attention.

p.s. I couldn’t provide my feedback to the hotel. They provide me with the link before my check out. When I came home and the next day tried to give my feedback I got following: Unable to retrieve Survey, your survey invitation code may have expired or is invalid :( :( :(

Room Tip: I strongly do not recommend this hotel anybody! You have a risk to pay big money for nothing! This i...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo
5  Thank Anna K
Reviewed June 26, 2014

This hotel is simply magnificent. Luxury all around, great lobby, great pool, best clubs, simply the best of the best. I've stayed here 3 times already and each time it just gets better.

Last time we went hotel was overbooked cause it was memorial weekend, and they upgraded our room, for a villa with balcony and the sweetest Miami view ever. Service is very good, they are very friendly and go the extra mile for their guests.

The rooms are very modern, the beds are so comfy you wont want to get up; and the bathrooms are very clean and also very modern.

Gotta love the pool parties, and also the easy access to the beach in case of some relaxation.

Restaurants are amazing also. You simply have everything you need in one place. This is why Fontainebleu is my Top Pick when traveling to Miami.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 26, 2014

We had the last 5 days of our Florida vacation here at the Fountainbleau in july 2013. This cool and vibrant hotel is a perfect place to spend some lazy summer days. Both pool areas and beach was very nice, and the reception area/bar was fantastic. We could sit and watch people all night. Try the Blueberry Mojito! The restaurants - especially Gotham Steak House - was a nice surprise. Really good food and very attentive staff. We had a room with partial ocean view, and we hardly saw the ocean. Not worth the extra money. A bit expensive to rent sunbeds and "umbrella" at the beach. Nice service in the pool area, very attentive. I was a bit disappointed at the staff when 8-10 "partypeople" took over the big pool. They were smoking IN the pool and drinking IN the pool. Our son complained to us because he did not want to be in the pool around alcohol and sigarettes. Although the signs by the pool says no alcohol or sigarettes in the pool the staff did not respond to our requests on sending them to another area, and we chose to go down to the beach. The hotel is situated a bit away from south beach, and when going to the restaurants or shops we had to take a 10 min taxiride. Nothing much around outside of the hotelarea. All this aside - we would go back in a heartbeat. This is really a magnificent place, with excellent service.

Room Tip: I would choose a room with a front ocean view. High up!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 26, 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Fountain blue in March. I have to say that we love luxury hotels and have stayed in a few lovely ones and I’m sorry to say that Fountain blue is not one of them. The service is slow and the place is way too crowded. I don’ t understand what the fuss is all about on this place. The hotel itself is clean but the way the whole place is decorated to me a little tacky but that’s my own personal opinion. The rooms are very simple. We had an ocean view with a Balcony and the view was amazing the sad thing is that right under us was the noise of all those fans from the hotel. Be ready to put your hands in your pocket because EVERY THING is pricy in that hotel! They charge you top dollar on whatever they can, 2 drinks for my boyfriend and I cost us $50.00 US! A rip off. I know that it’s to be expected to get things a little more pricy in a luxury hotel but that was exaggerated! We had dinner at La Cote and that was good but not great I had better places before.
The pools that you have access to because keep in mind that some of them are kept for their very special rich customers are just ok. Not the cleanest or the most impressive ones. You are VERY crowded on the beach be ready to hear everything your neighbour has to say or to get sand all over because you had people walking practically on top of you. I would NEVER EVER bring my kids to this place… it feels like a teenagers party place wish I don’t have anything against but it’s not a place for kids in my opinion. For sure if you want to see superficial spoiled teenagers you are at the right place! Everything about this place is superficial…
Over all the place looks nice but not great, the service needs to be improved and it is WAY over priced for what it is! I am sorry to say that I wouldn’t returned to this place and I don’t recommend it.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank titannick
Reviewed June 26, 2014

I had a chance to stay at the Fontainebleau while attending a conference. Everything about this stay was first class. The junior suite room in Trevor tower had a view of the ocean, the canal and the northern city from the balcony, which made morning coffee a treat. The suite was really a one bedroom apartment, with kitchen, living room, and two baths. Just beautiful. Since this was off-season for South Beach, the pools and hot-tubs were un-crowded. The ocean was spectacular--warm but clear and refreshing. All of the resort staff were friendly--everyone I ran into said "hello" and smiled (my experience was very positive; unlike some of the earlier reviews I saw here that complained about the staff). The resort itself is enormous, and you could stay on-site for everything if you wanted to. The conference support was great as well--I've never had such luxurious break-out refreshments and meals at a business conference. I'm planning to come back for a personal vacation in the future.

Room Tip: The twentieth floor north side of Trevor Tower has a great view of both the ocean and North Miami.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business