“It big and crowded but very nice”

Fontainebleau Miami Beach
Ranked #42 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed April 30, 2014

The Fountainebleu is really not my type of hotel. It is huge. There is the original hotel, plus I think 3 large towers of condos that they rent out making it a very large, very crowded property. Especially over the weekend. The pool is packed. Alot of families and then also a lot of young 20somethings lounging all around the pool. The chairs are in rows all over the pool grounds and we found it hot without a breeze. The beach is beautiful but again, it was packed. Chairs 6 rows deep from the ocean and waiting in line for 15 minutes to get a chair. our other issue with the crowds is that they seemed to be very understaffed. On the beach, two days running it took over 30 minutes to get a drink and then we never saw our server again all day...and she kept our room key for hte charges so we had to go to front desk to replace. They need more staff. But, that said, it is a very nice, pretty well kept property with nice staff. Be forewarned as well - drinks are astronomical. $25 for a beach margarita, $8 for a small bottle of water. A lot of people seemed to have gone to the store and had coolers of less expensive drink options. Overall, just not my type of hotel. I would prefer something smaller and not quite so hectic. I know MIami beach is all about the scene, but this was just too much...too many people, too much waiting. If this had been a romantic trip wth my husband, I would have been very disappointd. Seemed a place large groups like more...work or families or groups of friends. But, if you like large, crowded hotels that are still upscale, this is for you. PS Great boardwalk all the way down to southbeach...about a 15 minute walk. Very nice.

Room Tip: The original hotel does not have balconies or windows that open. See if you can get one of the condo...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business

Reviewed April 30, 2014

My friends and I came to the Fontainebleau for a weekend and had the best time. Josh at the front desk helped us while checking in, and was very helpful and welcoming. He answered all of our questions and gave us tips and suggestions for our stay (nightlife, pool/beach, restaurants). The pools were great, LIV was a ton of fun, and overall the trip couldn't have been better. The rooms were clean, we had a balcony room and loved it. Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 30, 2014

Just spent the most relaxing time on our outdoor "Bed" at the pool area.
Cesar had everything set up for us & made sure we were enjoying every moment.
Mariana, Joel/Jeine, Joel Grullon also helped us feel at home & kept checking in to ensure we had whatever we needed.
Cant wait to return to our home away from home!!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed April 29, 2014

I had a great experience staying there with my fiancée. The employees are super professional, nice, and friendly especially this one gentleman, Donkenson. The rooms are very spacious and have a great view of the ocean, beach, and the pool. The food.. OMG.... Although everything was quite expensive but it was totally worth it!!! That's a great place for a romantic getaway.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 29, 2014

Haven't been here for a long, long time and it's changed a lot . . . I mean it's ridiculous! I am a professional traveler and this is by far one of the best properties I have EVER been to. The grounds are exquisite, the location superb and the customer service is insane. My experience started at the front desk with Gwendolyn and ended with an awesome encounter with manager Cynthia. I checked in late on a Saturday night (Sunday morning) and was greeted with a lobby full of gorgeous people and some good music however I wasn't prepared to sleep on top of it. Gwendolyn realized I had been traveling for a long time and gave me outstanding customer service to accommodate my stay. She went above and beyond my expectations so I went to the manager Cynthia to make sure Gwen (can I call her that?) got some positive feedback . . . well, Cynthia was more about the same . . . outstanding customer service!!! All I can say say is thanks to both of you and thanks for a great experience . . . I'll be back! (sorry Arnold)

Room Tip: Stayed in the Sorrento tower . . .
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed April 29, 2014

It didn't seem possible but I just returned from another flawless vacation at the Fontainebleau.

After staying almost exactly one year ago, 3 of us (1 from my trip last year and another who was just there in February and this was his 8th stay) returned to celebrate 2 of them finishing the Boston Marathon.

There is a reason that guest return again and again and now I know why - it is the staff. The consistency and genuine consideration for the guest. Several of the employees that stood out from our visit last year where in fact there this year AND they remembered us. Plus there were another few stand outs just proving that the Fontainebleu knows how to find, coach and keep their staff.

Purely staying for relaxation this stay included most time on beach, at the pool or in several of the food/beverage outlets. Recommendations include asking for Will and Vanessa when staying on the beach - regardless of beach chair or bed - they will make you feel like you are the only guest on the beach and practically need your mind when you need anything. They've learned this skill from Kenneth Gonzalez, who was a stand out last year. When I inquired about him to Will it was not surprise that he immediately was contacted and found us on the beach to stop by and say hello. He is the epitome of what any service industry employee should be wired like - he's perfect.

We stayed at the pool one day and were equally pampered by, Lisa and Jefferson (Salazar) and thoroughly enjoyed sitting at the bar with Angel recommending and making the best drinks.

Unlike my last visit, more time was spent in the restaurants.

In addition to daily breakfast and lunch visits to Fresh, perfectly located whether staying on the beach or the pool, the food is exactly what you want for a day in the sun. Marianna and Lita will great you with a warm smile and remember you every visit thereafter. Marianna remembered us from last year and sent a hand written note to our room, welcoming us back. Seriously when does that every happen! We love her!

Don't miss Hakkasan, it is on the 4th floor and outrageously delicious. The service was impeccable and the wine recommended by the sommelier on staff.

The Michael Mina restaurant located off the lobby is perfect for a nice dinner out or to sit at the bar - we did both. It's a gastro pub like style but so much more and the lamb meatballs are not to be missed.

The FB Steakhouse (formerly Gotham) was also delicious and what was appreciated most was not being rushed, we arrived at 11pm and the music - it was the best part of the our experience.

Music is a central part of the whole experience of staying at the Bleu and it is obvious that not even the smallest of details are overlooked. K Razor in the Bleu bar is also a standout adding to the "experience" of staying there. These are the things that set this resort apart and rising above the others.

When you stay go to Michael Mina, ask for Stephanie as your server on the floor and Lorena on the bar.

The only issue after staying 5 nights - not having the Kleenex replaced when the last tissue was used.

So once again, I am gushing about the hotel and it's staff and strongly advise spending the extra money to stay here. It is the cream of the crop and I can't wait to go back, maybe even again this year, to see all my friends who work there.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank RenCam
Reviewed April 29, 2014

Stayed April 2014 - Poor check in service - booking not found although had email correspondence with hotel, had to ask for manager, after a long wait while they sorted it out.
Room okay but small. No drinking water or tea coffee in room. After ringing room service was told that had to use water from bathroom or pay for water! This is appalling for a hotel of this supposed standard. Complained and eventually after two phone calls got these sent to room as complimentary. No fridge - if you want one it's $20 a night! Thank god there was an ice machine!
Main pool got very busy and seemed to attract what looked like drug dealers/pimps and groups of their "girls" who were being thrown in the pool for entertainment.
No enforcement of pool rules - children jumping in and playing ball games, so was not very relaxing. Several music systems on at the same time around the pools.
Pool waiting staff just seemed interested in hard sell of drinks etc. - guys wearing comfortable shorts and t shirt whilst girls have to wear skimpy tight dresses.
Everything is overpriced - 2 smoothies at the pool were over $20 - and weren't even fresh - just a carton juice mixed with crushed ice. This hotel needs to try harder on its service and less on its image.
On the positive side - the shower was well sized and the bed comfortable!

The hotel is on the beach but there did not appear to be anywhere to eat nearby except the on site restaurants. The local Walgreens was overrun with tourists desperate to buy affordable provisions, but even these were limited. You are much better off staying on South Beach where they are a choice of shops and restaurants and you don't feel like you are in a holiday camp.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo