“Had a fantastic two night stay” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Fontainebleau Miami Beach

Fontainebleau Miami Beach
Ranked #40 of 206 Hotels in Miami Beach
Tampa, FL
“Had a fantastic two night stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2013

I'm going to preface this by saying that before you book at the Fontainebleau Miami Beach, you MUST do your research and come prepared to spend.

I booked semi-blindly via Hotwire. After spending an entire day researching beachfront hotels on Miami Beach (amenities, prices, etc), I narrowed down Hotwire's secret 5-star resort to be the Fontainebleau, took a risk, and was correct. At the time of my booking, the Fontainebleau was averaging about $229 per night on most websites. I was able to snag it at $169/night on Hotwire which was only about $40 or so more than my second choice which was a 3.5 star beachfront hotel on Collins Ave.

Even though I am a loyal "Hotwirer", I only used them this time because I was 99% sure of what I was getting (5 stars). I wouldn't book anything less than 4 star in Miami Beach via Hotwire because there are simply too many disgusting places rated at 3 stars. Don't risk it!

OK, now on to my review of the Fontainebleau Miami Beach :) :

My husband had a business meeting scheduled in Miami for Monday morning, so we decided to make it a mini family getaway since it hasn't stopped raining in Tampa for 2 months and my kids have been craving the beach.

Check in was a breeze, although the valet was a little busy on our Sunday 2pm arrival. Our room was ready and the bellman brought our bags within minutes. The room in the Chateau building was amazing, and had a view of the bay, one of the towers and a partial ocean view. Other than the weight-monitored minibar being right on top of the dresser (which can be a BIG problem if you have young kids) our room was perfect for our family of 4. My kids are older and so they knew not to even think about touching any of the items on the minibar.

We changed right away and headed down to the beach. Towels were plentiful and we got some great lounge chairs right in front of the ocean. You have to ask the guys at the kiosk for help. They will find you something and set it right up. Beach umbrellas are $25. We rented one, which really only pays off if you plan to be at the beach for a long time. I was regretful for our decision when my husband decided an hour later to head to the pool area. Warning: The moment you collect your items from your lounge chair, they clear off the covers and give them to someone else. This goes for both the beach and the pool.

The pool area was packed both Sunday afternoon and all day Monday. I arrived at the pool Monday morning around 10 and there were some, but not many chairs left. Unless you are a group of hot young girls, don't expect the pool guys to rush to help you set up your lounger. After waiting almost an hour for someone to come and put the covers on my chairs, a group of 15 college students showed up and were helped right away. I finally waved down one of the pool guys who told me I'd have to wait for the group to get settled in. I remarked that I had been waiting there a long time and he ended up setting me up first (took like 2 minutes) and went on with his big group.

Because of the crowds, my husband and I took turns taking the kids to the beach for a bit, so as to not lose our umbrella covered loungers. (umbrellas are no charge at the pool) The kids had fun on the pool slide in the children's area, even though they are older.

We ordered lunch and drinks by the pool both days. Yes, the drinks are expensive, but the food was semi reasonable and they bring it all right to you. Kids meals are $10, half pizza was about $12, sandwiches and salads around $12-$16.

We had dinner on the property both nights and it was very good, albeit pricey. Gotham was better IMHO than Scarpetta. Both had an easy reservation process, and neither balked when we changed our reservation time at the last minute by phone. My one annoyance was a woman in cut off jean shorts and a blue bra top eating dinner at the table next to us. I suppose there is no dress code on Miami Beach.

Did we feel nickel and dimed? A little. $38/night valet, plus $20/night resort charge, plus what we paid just to book the darn place. It definitely was not cheap, but we had a great time, the weather was perfect and we only had to drive 4 hours to get there.

Here are some tips for traveling to the Fontainebleau Miami Beach:

I packed a small duffel bag with water bottles and snacks (pretzels, granola bars, etc) as well as a box of cereal. My kids had cereal and granola bars for breakfast (fruit or bagels would've worked as well) in our room, and I took some snacks and water in my beach bag to the pool. This saved us from having to pay for a sit-down breakfast (which would've probably run about $100 for us four and taken up a good chunk of our morning). The snacks helped keep them satisfied between meals.

Valet takes a good 40 minutes when checking out. We wish we would have called ahead.

Thongs and Brazilian cut bikinis are everywhere on Miami Beach, and not limited to the people who can actually pull them off. If you are sensitive to bare bottoms, or have a problem with your kids seeing them, this is probably not the place to visit. Also, there was a group of guys smoking a hookah on the edge of the pool. Something to think about if you aren't ready to explain that to your kids.

On the flip side, there were several orthodox Jews swimming in long skirts and covered heads. Everyone seems to just fit together here...it was kind of interesting and a lesson in acceptance.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank ymanes24
FBHotelManager, Manager at Fontainebleau Miami Beach, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review Fontainebleau Miami Beach. I am delighted to learn of your families experience during your recent stay. I apologize for your troubles with valet and check out. We look forward to having you back!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,347)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Trondheim, Norway
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2013 via mobile

We are staying here for a week with our teenagers. The reason we choose this hotel was because Its "famous". We are impressed of the resort, but it is to expensive to eat and drink here. Since it is located a bit from South Beach and so on, you have to have a car or take a taxi to go to eat and shop. It is fun to have stayed here, but we regret that we did not stay at W Miami or at Loews Miami instead. The room is nice, the beds very comfy, but the bathroom is very small. The front desk has to few people at work considering how large this hotel is. Alwways a long line there!!!!! Service by the pool and at the Beach is excellent. At the front desk it is NOT!

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Norwegian1973
Thank you for sharing your experience during your recent stay at Fontainebleau Miami Beach. It is great to hear that you were impressed with our resort, guest rooms and amazing service by the pool and beach. I am sorry to hear of your troubles with at front desk. We welcome you back to Miami Beach!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2013

Had a absolute amazing time at Fontainebleau with my sister.. We were greeted by everyone (seems like) everyday we were there. (4days). Stayed in a Sorrento Jr. Suite on the 19th floor gorgeous room with awesome views.. Will definitely be back.. Thanks for the great memories FB..

• Stayed June 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for reviewing Fontainebleau Miami Beach. We strive to provide the best service and i am happy to hear that we exceeded your expectations. We look forward to having you back!
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2013

Another great stay with my girlfriends, we lounged and partied the entire weekend. Great weekend to be in town to celebrate the Heat championship again, so I enjoyed the celebration in LIV with Lebron on Sunday night. The pool and beach is always a fun time with a group of fun girls. I hope to return again so far so good I have yet to be disappointed by the staff or service.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for being a loyal guest of Fontainebleau Miami Beach. I am happy to hear that we exceeded your expectations once again. We look forward to having you and your girlfriends back in Miami!
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2013

Luxurious, oversized guestrooms. Poolside service can be surprisingly stupendous for a hotel of this caber. The concierge was absolutely exceptional. They gave us a " Hotel Pass" to Mansion nigh club. NO WAITING IN LINE!!!!! there had to be hundreds of people trying to get in and we just passed right through the velvet ropes.

Genuine Hotels.com guest review

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for reviewing Fontainebleau Miami Beach. I am delighted to learn of your adventurous experience. We welcome you back to create many more OMG memories!
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2013

I will try my utmost to keep this brief but it will be hard! For years my friends and I had yearned for a trip to Miami (we are all in our mid-twenties) and we had been advised to stay at the Fontainebleau by many a people. We booked the trip on a lastminute.com deal and the rest they say is history.

The hotel itself makes an immediate impression from the staff, to the building, to the interior design, the pool, and the room itself...we were lucky we got to stay in the Junior Suite, and it was more than enough space for 4 girls. It had a microwave, fridge, toaster...anything you'd want, it has. We had an ocean view which was stunning, and we could see the skyline of downtown Miami. The feeling of waking up to the view every morning is one I cannot really describe and one I will never forget.

The location itself is not too bad, it is a bit away from the hustle and bustle of South Beach and we were having to get a 10dollar cab ride every night, but between 4 girls it is relatively inexpensive. We immediately travelled to Publix to shop for some food and more importantly alcohol (1.75l bottle of vodka was $18 - that is crazy!!) as we knew eating at the hotel every day would empty our pockets sooner than we would like. As it happens we did eat by the pool most days (i.e a wrap with chips, with tax and service charge was approximately $18, a cocktail was around $18 with service charge and tax). We also ate at VIDA most days, or ordered room service. VIDA had lovely food it really did, I had the penne pasta on 3 days, and pizza on another. Again the price around $22 all in. It is expensive but it is what you expect from such a hotel, and I did not have a bad meal there. Quality all round.

The weather unfortunately was unruly as we had showers on 3 of the 7 days we were there. We did make the most of the pool though which was full of beautiful people and the music was always playing although in my opinion it could have been louder! On the Saturday we experienced a pool party there of which I felt like I was on the set of a music video. The music is either house or hiphop in MIami so if either is your scene you will love it. Cover charge for most clubs is between $30 to $40 for girls, if you're lucky you can get in free if the bouncers are feeling generous.

A quick note on the clubs that are good to go to. LIV in the hotel is hip hop on Sunday of which I didn't have the best of times, maybe because we landed ON the Sunday. We also went on a Thursday which was an electronic/house night. The vibe was unreal and was one of my best nights out of many. Mansion on a Wednesday must be done. And Clevelander has to be done as well for just your standard party tourist place.

There is also an IHOP not too far. We travelled to Sawgrass (the mall?) because apparently that is cheaper than Aventura Mall. The shuttle is $35 round trip per person from the hotel.

Taxi to the hotel from the airport is a flat charge of $32 dollars, with an extra dollar for some kind of surcharge. Do not pay any more than this, the cab driver tried ripping us off on our way to the hotel!!

Everyone is so friendly in Miami and the hotel itself did lend to our overall experience in the biggest way as we met the best people in and around the pool, the club etc. An experience I will never forget. Thank you Fontainebleau for an amazing amazing time!!

Room Tip: Junior Suite all the way!!!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
FBHotelManager, Manager at Fontainebleau Miami Beach, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience during your recent stay at Fontainebleau Miami Beach. I am happy to hear that we exceeded your expectations in all aspects but I am truly sorry to hear that the weather was not the best! We welcome you girls back for another incredible experience!
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2013

This holiday was our second time to Miami and we thought we would stay at the Fontainbleau due to the endorsements by a number of celebrities, the luxurious setting of the hotel, the pool parties and infamous LIV nightclub, located on the ground floor of the main building.

The hotel was exactly, how I imagined it would be, the staff were really friendly and welcoming. In particular - Atthina James, she always greeted us with a friendly manner and warm smile no matter what our query may have been. The friendliness of the staff, only enhanced our short stay at the hotel. The room we stayed in was superb, I highly (I cant stress this enough) recommend the 1 or 2 bedroom suite - Tresor. It is a fantastic sized room with all the essentials needed for a home away from home; it even includes an Apple Mac, PC with complimentary Internet.

The Fontainbleau is my first and only choice for visits to Miami. I couldn't imagine spending a night anywhere else.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for sharing your experience during your recent stay at Fontainebleau Miami Beach. I am delighted to hear of your magnificent time with us! Atthina will certainly be praised for her outstanding service. We hope to see you again!