“Overpriced and surprises at check out”

Fontainebleau Miami Beach
Ranked #45 of 208 Hotels in Miami Beach
“Overpriced and surprises at check out”
Reviewed July 18, 2013

Stayed at fontainebleu for five nights in july. Hotel is beautiful with excellent facilities and great pools. However is very overpriced! We paid $25 for a glass of malibu and coke! We had hired a car during our stay and upon arrival at hotel were offered "vip valet parking" which we were told was parking 24/7 right at front of hotel entrance for $60 a night. We took the offer as we excited to be in miami with a great vehicle. Valet staff were always prompt and extremely friendly. Upon check out though we were told we owed $140 for valet! We had already paid $240 for the parking for four nights! They explained it was also another $35 on top of the $60 a night- although nobody had told us this on check in! The lady at front counter was extremely unhelpful almost ignoring us and just picked up phone to call valet manager. He arrived and argued with us stating we need to pay. After a long debate they "waived" the $140 fee however the trip was overshadowed by this experience.

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank tstoj
FBHotelManager, Manager at Fontainebleau Miami Beach, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Thank you for taking a moment to review Fontainebleau Miami Beach. I am sorry to hear that your troubles with valet and the front desk overshadowed your lovely vacation with us! Your comments will be shared with our team. We hope to have another opportunity to exceed your expectations!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,425)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
Trinidad
Reviewed July 18, 2013

My company recently had its annual strategic meeting at this resort. I have to say that my immediate thought was that the men in the company chose it because everywhere you turn were young women with high heels and skimpy dresses. So walk with your LBDs and high heels. Hotel is very trendy and ideal for young people. The vibe in the night was very energetic . The service was not ideal we waited over 30 mins to check in but the hotel is lovely and modern. The food is its greatest plus. You do not need to leave the hotel. The in house hotels were fabulous. The room we got was standard and small so I would suggest maybe trying a better grade room.

Room Tip: Upgrade from a standard room. It's ok if you are on a budget
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to review Fontainebleau Miami Beach. Its great to hear that you most enjoyed our delicious dining options. We hope to see you back in Miami very soon!
Nobleton, Canada
Reviewed July 18, 2013

Overall, this hotel felt very much like a mini-Vegas style accommodation with the main difference being that there was no casino. It was very well renovated, especially our rooms in the Tresor Tower. The housekeeping did a great job and the service was all around really friendly. The one thing that I will say is that it is VERY expensive. For instance, at LIV, the club inside the hotel, I asked for a water and the ignorant bartender wouldn't give me just regular tap water - not even ice!!! They could only SELL water - for $10+ per bottle!!! HOW STUPID IS THAT?! What if someone is feeling sick, you are really going to charge them?! Other things like food and drinks were also very expensive, but not too much more than you would expect for being in south beach.

The hotel is located right on the beach - although it is not on South Beach, so do not make that mistake. However, after spending most of my time in Florida on the West coast, I must say that this beach was very "blah". The water was nice and warm (85 Fahrenheit) but the sand and rocks didn't make it too enjoyable. We ended up spending most of our time by the pool, even though I thoroughly love the beach.

The pool area was absolutely gorgeous with lots of space for lounging and many different areas to relax or party; depending on what you are looking for. The hotel is definitely one of the nicest on Collins - but it is not somewhere I am dying to go back. It certainly was not the hotel's fault, but the area and the people we encountered made us feel like we were in a third world country, paying prime dollars.

Overall, the hotel is gorgeous, and it is cool to see the history of the place, but I do not think I will be back; at least not for a long time. If you are going to Miami because you like Miami and you have money to burn, then stay here. Otherwise, you can probably find a better deal. I will say that the rooms that we stayed in were immaculate and very modern - although I can't say if the hotel has been renovated like this. I'm still not over not being able to give someone a glass of water in a club that you pay $100 just to get in though. Shame on them for such classlessness. But like I said, if you have money, stay here because it's clean, beautiful, and has a gorgeous pool area; but there are most definitely better deals to be had.

Room Tip: bribe the front desk clerk to try and get a beach - facing room in the Tresor Tower!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
FBHotelManager, Manager at Fontainebleau Miami Beach, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review Fontainebleau Miami Beach. It is great to hear your impression of the resort. We hope to have another opportunity to exceed your expectations.
washington, dc
Reviewed July 18, 2013 via mobile

This is my 3rd time staying at FB. This time we stayed at the Tresor tower (stayed at Versailles tower previously).
Tis is what I liked --
1. The room was gorgeous! Flat screen tv, micro, apple computer, refrigerator, sink, spacious living room.
2. The view was amazing! (See picture)
3. Unlike the Versailles tower, you don't have to walk, what feels like a mile, to get to the pool area. Heck to get anywhere.
4. The pool area -- very nice. It even has a kids pool, an adult only pool.
5. The beach area -- this is why I come here. No where in the USA, except south Florida can you blue water like this. Well except Puerto Rico, USVI and Hawaii.
6. The spa -- Lapis is pretty good. Their interior pool is very nice.

Didn't like:
1. Price -- too expensive. Banana for $2, really?!

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank oh2bonvacation
Thank you for being a loyal customer of Fontainebleau Miami Beach. I am delighted to here of your amazing couples getaway. We look forward to serving you again in the near future!
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed July 17, 2013

I stayed at this Hotel, July 2013, I found it to be overpriced for the facilities. You do not even get a fridge or coffee making facilities in your room. For a 5 star resort I found this appalling. Having recently stayed at the waldorf in Orando I had high expectations and was quite disappointed. Check-in and out was very busy and in hindsight I should have checked-out on site as now I have some discrepency with charges. I would not stay there again as I believe other hotels offer a better service and more bang for your buck

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for reviewing Fontainebleau Miami Beach. I apologize for your check out troubles. Your comments will be reviewed by our team. We hope to have another opportunity to exceed your expectations.
Arlington, Virginia, United States
Reviewed July 17, 2013

As of now this is "the place to be" in Miami... but it could def use some improvement. I stay in Miami at least twice a year, the pools, beach, club, hotel bar is def one of the best. But it depends on what your looking for. Just because your staying at the hotel dose not mean you have access to all of the parties as other hotels like Gansevoort or Mondrian.

PROS
The best parties take place at this hotel..if you can get in
Large pools
Good food service/bar
spacious common areas
clientele

CONS
Far off need to take a cab to get anywhere
bathroom was TINY!
Room was TINY
Got a bogus charge on my cc after check out for mini bar use, and other random fees called hotel and they disputed and refunded me money right away... I went in a big group this happened to two other people.
Sunday Pool party SUCKED!!!!!!!!!! Better off going to Mondrian for the pool party or Nikki Beach

Room Tip: Upgrade to a suite...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Ariana U
Thank you for reviewing Fontainebleau Miami Beach. It is great to hear that you enjoyed our facilities and service. We hope to have another opportunity to exceed your expectations.
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed July 17, 2013

Stayed at the Fontainebleu Miami Beach with 4 teenage girls and another mom. We stayed in a private condo in Tresor Tower and absolutely loved it. We were impressed with the property overall, especially the pool and beach area. The highlight of our stay at Fontainebleu was meeting Jay Hiciano on our first visit to the pool. Jay was so welcoming and treated us like family. He went above and beyond to answer all our questions and made sure he took great care of us every day. I can't say enough about the attention and service we received, especially from Jay. Also had a chance to spend a few hours at Lapis Spa, which was truly amazing.

We are already planning our trip back next year!!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to recognize Fontainebleau Miami Beach team member, Jay Hiciano. He will certainly be praised for his fantastic service. We remain at your service and can not wait for your return next year!