“Awful experience”

Fontainebleau Miami Beach
Ranked #45 of 210 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed July 2, 2013

After a 14night stay at the Waldorf Astoria in Orlando we were very much looking forward to a just as satisfying stay in the Fontainebleau hotel if not better due to the amount of money spent to stay at this hotel and the ratings of this resort from our travel provider. Unfortunately this was not the case from the get go.

Upon arriving we felt that we were ignored if there was someone around us that the staff felt had more money. The reception was smushed and very hectic. No one offered to take our cases or hold doors for us.

Once in the room the let down continued. (Room 1180) the tv had a massive scratch across the screen, the smoke detector was hanging off the wall, the floor was stained- from which looked like vomit, the balcony windows still had sticky kids hand prints all over it and the front door was missing a pin from its bottom hinge which made the door very noisy along with stains on the chair and paint on pillows and a very disgusting bathroom.
It was very difficult at night to sleep due to the extract fans from the balcony and thin walls which allowed us to hear every movement from our neighbours.

We complained to the front desk immediately and the handy man then spend the next few hours popping in and out fixing things but not everything was corrected that should have been correct before we arrived. With regards to the cleaning that was not sorted for the whole 7day stay.

The complaints manager left a message on our room phone with a " direct number " but when I tried to call " all the operators were busy " and I left a message which was never returned even after several attempts to contact him.

Check out wasn't much better with having to pay the resort charge that we were not told about until we checked in. To top it off we were not asked how our stay was which is a simple etiquette.
I would not recommend this hotel to anyone- in the past it may have been a pristine hotel due to the amount of celebrities that have stayed however I believe the fontainbleau are living in the past and are not of the standard that they believe they are.

6  Thank Chapman119
FBHotelManager, Manager at Fontainebleau Miami Beach, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2013

Thank you for reviewing Fontainebleau Miami Beach. I am sorry to hear of your troubles during your stay with us. Your comments will be shared with our team in an effort to better our resort. We hope to have another opportunity to exceed your expectations.

There are newer reviews for Fontainebleau Miami Beach

Reviewed July 2, 2013

This is a large and beautiful resort. It is very pricy and the pool closes at 7pm which I found very strange. I did have an issue with not getting hot water for my shower and although they said they fixed it, I had the same problem the next day. For the price of this place, I would not have expected that type of problem. However, it is beautiful and if you can afford it I would still highly recommend this place.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to review Fontainebleau Miami Beach. I am sorry to hear of your water troubles. Your comments will be shared with our team in order to create better guest service. We appreciate your recommendations and welcome you back!

Reviewed July 1, 2013

This is a large resort, it has probably 3 large towers located separately. The central portion contains the fantastic pools, restaurants, lobby and bars. We stayed at this resort as a couple for 3 days. We were fortunate to be upgraded to a suite in the sorretto tower. This was magnificent, I highly recommend staying in this tower. It's quieter than the hustle and bustle from the main central tower but equally as elegant. There are a multitude of restaurants and bars, all have excellent service and food but are expensive. Average cost per meal excluding alcohol drinks is approx £35pp. The high points- service was excellent, rooms lovely and clean, free wifi, great location to all areas, fantastic pools and beautiful beaches, award winning gourmet restaurants and just casual dining were both great. This resort is great is you and friends want fun, party life , elegance and great service. I wouldn't recommend for young children families. Also it's quite pricy for the car to be left in their garage around $36 per day. But I believe this is normal in Miami. Would definitely stay here again.

1  Thank rolo54

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience during you stay at Fontainebleau Miami Beach. It is great to hear that you were upgraded and enjoyed our dining and service. We welcome you back to Miami!

Reviewed July 1, 2013

If I was 25 with an unlimited income I would have felt like I'd died and gone to heaven. However, my husband and I are over 40 and live comfortably but we could only take so much. Don't get me wrong, we really enjoyed our stay here and would go back under different circumstances. We had a great experience at Gotham. We also ate at the beach bar and had burgers and fries. While the food was expensive there was a bunch of it. I hear that all the restaurants are just as amazing. The hotel itself reminds me of a Vegas hotel but will soon need an update inside. The outside pools and cabanas are just gorgeous, some of the nicest I have seen. We reserved a cabana on the beach and had a great time, service was good and the beach is beautiful, sand and water clean and clear. The drinks are VERY expensive here, which I almost think they have to do this to keep some of the undesirables out. Everything has 18% auto-gratuity, again I think they would have to do this to keep good employees. Security by the pools and beach were tight and we liked that. We were traveling with our 3 teenage boys...they had fun on the beach throwing the football and people watching as there were many professional athletes hanging out last weekend but that was about it for them....When they are 25 as they all said...they were coming back themselves to vacation here, (I hope they have good jobs :), lol. I used the gym one morning, its very nice, good equipment and friendly attendant...but after about 20 minutes I wondered why I was inside staring at the beach when I could be running on the strand outside. Many people are out there walking and jogging between the hotel and the beach. I didn't get too far as I was cooling down but I bet its a nice stretch to get a good walk or jog in. The rooms are alright and beds are just ok, Large Mac is a nice touch, bathrooms have just about enough space to change your mind in. We booked on expedia so I am not sure if that is why we got such a crappy view or if that is just the way its set up and the age of the hotel, but our room overlooked the convention hall roof and had a partial view of the sea and the waterway. We did not have any trouble with our room but the balconies are very close to one another and someone could easily climb onto our balcony and get into our rooms so make sure to lock your door. We were also close enough to get a contact high from whatever they were smoking next door, There are other towers, we were in Versailles..maybe thats where they put the discount customers. Next time, I would pay a little more in advance and book through the hotel. There is a Wal-greens within walking distance where you can pick up some snacks, juices, water and wine for the room. Coffee, pastries and desserts off the lobby were excellent. We only stayed 2 nights of our 8 day Florida vacation here. I would recommend staying here once in your life and again for special occasions. Save your money and really enjoy yourself when you get here. While it is expensive, a couple of days will be well worth it and a good time. YOLO as they say. All of the staff here at the hotel and in the restaurants were very friendly. Check in/check out was quick and painless...except the bill. The running joke from my husband was he went to the bar and asked for change for a $20 and I got $2.50 back...

Room Tip: check around to see if the rooms booked through hotel.com and expedia are different from the ones yo...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Cheriejay

Thank you for sharing your experience during your recent stay at Fontainebleau Miami Beach. I am delighted that you and your family had an amazing time during your two days with us! We remain at your service and look forward to your return!

Reviewed July 1, 2013

We stayed for a week in the Chateau Tower and loved it!! Absolutely loved our room! One entire side was all glass which I just loved. I would have preferred a closer view of the ocean but our room was closer to the marina but overall still very nice. The guys at the pool really do work. Kudos to our favs, Ray and Brian! They do an excellent job! It was very busy when we were there so service via the phone was very slow. Rooms are impeccable and very clean. Loved the Molton Brown toiletries they provide and a Mac computer in the room...wow!
Loved the pools. I know there are a lot but we basically stayed at the main pool. The beach is just a walk away which is great and the restaurants! OMG all were fantastic! I didn't leave the property once during our stay.
I would definitely return to this hotel again. I only wish they provided a coffeemaker. If you want coffee they make you buy it downstairs which at times can get very crowded so I wasn't happy with that and even worse the price. Almost $4.50 for a regular size cup of coffee. I mean come on, we are guests! It's not even Starbucks!
Excellent hotel!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for recognizing team members of Fontainebleau Miami Beach. Ray and Brian will certainly be recognized for their great service. We welcome you back for another excellent experience!

Reviewed July 1, 2013 via mobile

I love this hotel. The pools are amazing, the beach is beautiful, the service is great, restaurants have great food, and the bars are over the top. Many of the rooms at other hotels in Miami are very small, these rooms are much bigger here and very clean.

• Stayed: June 2013

Thank you for taking a moment to review Fontainebleau Miami Beach. It is great to hear of your amazing experience. We look forward to your return!

Reviewed July 1, 2013

I have visited many of the Caribbean islands and I must say the Fontainebleau ranks amongst the top resorts that I have visited. Service, facility, and staff was superb. Food and drinks were superb! Would highly recommend this resort

• Stayed: June 2013

Thank you for your kind recommendations of Fontainebleau Miami Beach. I am delighted to learn of your impressions. We remain at your service and welcome you back!