“Beautiful resort but....” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #40 of 206 Hotels in Miami Beach
London
“Beautiful resort but....”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2013

No one can ever doubt the initial Wow factor and old school glamour which Fontainebleau provides, but beauty is often only skin deep.
I debated long and hard before booking this hotel, and to be honest if I hadn't found an amazing deal on the Alpha-rooms website I probably wouldn't have ended up there at all.
The hotel is vast, it's on the same scale size wise as the resorts in Vegas or Cancun, so if you are looking for a more intimate hotel and personal service this isn't the place for you.
We arrived around 11am in the morning, our baggage was taken out of the cab and into the storage room by the very delightful Edwin, we then went on to check in. Our check in assistant Sandra was a gem, she was friendly, efficient and knowledgable. Although she couldn't give us all 3 rooms immediately she promised to call us as soon as they became available. 2 of the rooms were available around 1:30 but we had to wait until almost 4 for the final one.
We headed straight to the pool once we had completed check in. Because our room keys had not been issued at that time and despite us being issued with the FB information pack, we had to show security our luggage storage tag before they would give us access to the pool. I understand non guests try to gain access to the pool at the weekend but having to show luggage tags or room keys at 3 separate check points is a bit much. Pool chairs were easy to locate and once you tip the pool boys their entire attitudes change and they are the most helpful, friendly people alive. LOL!
I sat on those beach chairs for close to 3 hours before approached by the bar service staff and was only approached after one of them noticed that i had gotten up and popped to La Cote for cocktails.
The rooms are nice enough, the air conditioning was a bit hit and miss but the overall space was ample enough for my needs. We were based on the 7th floor in the chateau building, the view was amazing but if I ever returned I would pay the extra and get a balcony.
Housekeeping was a little blah, the ironing board was left in the middle of the room and I'm positive that the bathroom floor didn't see the mop for the 4 nights while I was there. I would have been a little upset if my rate had been any higher than it was.
Apart from having lunch at la cote, I didn't actually eat in the hotel. Ihop is a sort cab ride away and snacks can be purchased at Walgreens.
Bottom line is, the property is amazing if you are into the club scene or want to celebrity spot. I saw Neyo, Anthon Ferdinand and Flowrider to name just a few, within the first couple of days The pool parties and Liv at the weekend would have had me sold if I was 15 years younger. But if you require great service and peace and quiet, you will have to go somewhere else to get this.

FYI: make sure you look at the little Bleau booklet given to you at check in, it provides all sort of discounts at the restaurants within the property. We also received an extra 5% off our purchases at Bloomingdales by mentioning we were staying at Fontainebleau.

Room Tip: Opt for a balcony if you can afford it, the views will be well worth it
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Barnes33
FBHotelManager, Manager at Fontainebleau Miami Beach, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience during your recent stay at Fontainebleau Miami Beach. I am delighted to hear that you were impressed with our resort. We check persons credentials coming into the pool area to ensure guests have access to our limited chairs. I apologize for the less than perfect housekeeping. We appreciate your recommendations and hope to serve you and your family again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,347)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
New Providence, New Jersey, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2013

Spent the weekend at the Fontainebleu celebrating a friend's birthday. The hotel is top-notch. Beautiful accommodations and beautiful property. We spent the bulk of our time on the gorgeous palm-tree lined beach and it was lovely. Very comfortable sun beds, and absolutely wonderful service. Vanessa Gonzalez took care of us both day and she was absolutely wonderful. Professional, cheerful, and just a joy to have as a server. If you get to the beach at the FB, ask for Vanessa. Cheers!

Room Tip: Ask to be in the Sorrento (new) tower, especially if you have children with you. Our room had more o...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for recommending Fontainebleau's team member, Vanessa. She will certainly be praised for her wonderful service. I am delighted to hear that your friends birthday celebration was a success. We welcome you back for another awesome experience!
NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2013

Travel to miami from New York with three girls. Frankie at the beach was very professional and attentive!!!!! Has great and fast service.We had great time!!!!!!! Will come back again in a heartbeat!!!!

• Stayed June 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to recognize Fontainebleau's amazing team member Frankie. He will certainly be recognized for his wonderful service. We look forward to your return!
Leesburg, Virginia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2013

I stayed at the Fontainbebleau Miami Beach, from May 19th to the 22nd, 2013. I booked a Junior suite with Expedia. Got a good deal for the room. I believe that it was room 1189 or 1180, it faced the street and it had a view of the bay.

First bad impression: Rude bellmans. I arrived in a taxi from the airport , and was ignored by the bellmans standing and looking around without helping me with my luggage. One of them said "hi" but moved on to other guests. Finally, the other one made eye contact with me , hesitated a bit and then came to get my luggage. He took it to the storage. The luggage did not stay there for more than 20 minutes, yet it came back to the room dirty.

Second bad impression: Hawful housekeeping staff, and bed bugs. During the night we could not sleep in that bed. The sheets were wrinkled and dirty, our bodies kept on itching and it felt as if the bed had bugs ( we took a shower before entering the bed and still could not sleep), in addition the bottom sheet had holes in the corners. Called the front desk, they sent a security guard upstairs to check the bed and make a report. He took pictures of the holes in the bed, the stains, the dirty carpet, and the curtains that were also stained and falling apart. I also took picture. Afterwards, they decided to move me to a second room , away from the street because the noise from the traffic on the street , on top of the bed bug bites were too much to handle. It is important to note that the sheets on that bed were equivalent to the sheets on a Motel 6 bed.

Third bad impression: Lack of customer service and organization. Our bellman came to move us to a different room, but did not know where to take us, we had to walk all the way to the front desk at 3 am. Once we were there, the lady at the front desk told me "that I should have brought my own clean sheets from home, that's what she always does when she stays at hotels". She sent us to the second room without giving me any keys, and the bellman could not open the room either with his master key. Housekeeping came to the second room with new sheets but she could not open the room either. Consequently, they sent us to a third room!!!

Fourth bad impression: At almost 4am , myself and my 6 year old daugther were walking inside the FB in our pjs. Without keys they sent us to the PH level rooms to shut our mouths. I was upgraded to the La Mer presidential suite. The room was nothing special for $3000 per night. I would not pay to stay there. And we found dirty glasses and napkins in the kitchen counter. I had a bad feeling about it. Called guests services to let them know that perhaps someone had been in that room or housekeeping failed to clean it properly. My feeling was right, at check out, we were charged for 3 movies in that room. We spent most of the time outside the room, at the beach and pools, we only went to the room to sleep. I do not watch tv on vacation, it was hard to convince the front desk attendant that my 6 year old daugther could not have watched those 3 movies without me noticing. I ended up paying for something that we did not do, I am suspecting that it was one of the staff members.

Fifth and final bad impression: The keys to the La Mer PH suite almost never worked. The pretentious front desk staff kept on asking me for ID in order to reactivate the keys. After the second night at the PH suite, they changed the sheets and gave us cheap, wrinkled sheets again.

All we wanted was a good night sleep and even in a PH suite it was hard to enjoy the FB. The staff was moody and acted as if they were doing us a favour. It was hard to get the attention of the waiters at the pool, and the drinks were weak and expensive.

Room Tip: Stay away from the rooms that face the street. Too noisy.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank Martina F
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2013

10. The Room--Opening the door is like moving a 20-ton rock, the bed is too soft, not enough trash bin in the room, light switch cannot be controlled centrally. You have to manually turn on bed lamps. I'm being nitpicky I know.. but it gets better so bare with me.
9. The Atmosphere--Loud and Overcrowded. Especially on memorial day weekend. The hotel (pool area, lobby, hallway, etc) looks like Tokyo Summerland.
8. There is a mandatory $20 hotel fee for internet, beach chair, daily newspaper
7. They charge an extra $24 for the beach umbrella on top of the $20 hotel fee.
6. We never received a single "daily newspaper" during our long three-day stay here
5. Restaurants in the hotel and in the surrounding area will put a hole in your pocket.
4. Parking is valet only and its $38 a day.
3. Extra charge for breakfast despite a whopping $300/night for the room.
2. Location--Far from Ocean Drive and not a whole lot of options around.
1. Value--Like most hotels in Miami Beach, Fontainebleau is overpriced. The amount of money you'll spend here for a few days is equivalent to a week in an All-inclusive resort in the Caribbean including air fare. Notice a common theme on this list? They charge extra for just about everything.

Honorable Mention:
1. Avoid booking through Hotwire. I was led to believe I was getting a 5-star hotel. Their "hints" for possible hotels in Miami Beach (North) were The Ritz, The Setai, etc.. Hotels which are no doubt 5 stars. But after I made the booking, they gave me this hotel. I mean it's an ok hotel. The room was spacious, large bathroom, clean facility.. but definitely not a 5-star. After I called and complained Hotwire refused to give me a refund. They later removed their "hint" list. Hmm... I wonder why. At least people won't be duped anymore.
2. See my review for Miami Beach

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
8 Thank FrequentFlyer19
Thank you for taking a moment to provide feedback from your recent stay at Fontainebleau Miami Beach. We are extremely disappointed to learn of your impression with Fontainebleau as a travel destination. Your comments will be shared with our team in an effort to better the guest experience. We hope to have another opportunity to exceed your expectations in the future.
columbia, MD
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2013

My husband and I brought our 10 year old daughter and the Fontainebleau made our getaway more amazing than we could have ever dreamed. We were greeted by super friendly valet attendants. They went out of their way to give us helpful advice. Then the wonderful woman who checked us in gave us a dreamy room oceanfront in the Sorrento and even brought my daughter a cupcake to the room to make sure we were doing well. I had read the food was really expensive and was a little concerned. But that was not the case. The food was delicious and fresh and worth what they charged. I did not feel like I needed to eat vegetables when I got home because there were plenty of healthy choices. My daughter was in tears when we had to leave because she had such a good time. We were happy we rented a car. We got to go to downtown Southbeach, go to Buffalo Tiger Everglade airboat ride, and drive to KeyWest. The beach area at the Fontainebleau had cushioned lounge chairs and they set us up every morning with plenty of soft towels. The hotel was clean, well-maintained and everyone was extremely friendly and went out of their way to be kind and wanted to make sure we had a great time.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank oscarcolumbia
Thank you for recognizing the excellent team members at Fontainebleau Miami Beach. We strive to provide the best service and I am happy we exceeded your expectations. We welcome you back for another unforgettable experience!
South Florida, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2013

Many thanks to Nelson and Noel with the valet services at Fontainebleau who greeted us throughout the weekend and gave all in our party special care and attention. The room was fantastic (1 BR suite) with views of the bay and the ocean. The pools were terrific, as always, great fun for the kids. The amenities and atmosphere cannot be beat. We always love our stays at the Fontaineblueau but the hospitality and kindness shown by Nelson and Noel made this our best weekend ever at the Bleau. We are looking forward to a return stay soon. I would recommend this hotel (and do recommend) to anyone looking for an unforgettable stay-cation or vacation.

Room Tip: Explain to the check-in personnel what kind of room you are looking for and they will try and give y...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
FBHotelManager, Manager at Fontainebleau Miami Beach, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Thank you for recognizing Fontainebleau's team members. Noel and Nelsen will certainly be praised for their outstanding service. We thank you for your kind recommendations and can't wait for your return!