“Best pool area at Miami Beach”

Fontainebleau Miami Beach
Ranked #44 of 207 Hotels in Miami Beach
Copenhagen
“Best pool area at Miami Beach”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2013

The last time I stayed at the Fontainebleau was in 1986. I have to say that the hotel (fortunately) has changed since then,,,! We (family with 3 children) stayed here for 4 nights in December 2012, in a family suite in the Tresor Tower. A very large suite (with an Imac at disposal) with a similarly large separate bedroom, a fully functional kitchen, large bathroom and a nice balcony with a southbound view of the beach and Collins Avenue.

This giant hotel (1600 rooms) just has everything. From the largest (and best) pool area at Miami Beach (with several poolside bars) to great (but pricy) restaurants. Service is good everywhere from check in to the staff at the pools and the beach and to checkout.

The location is OK, if you want to get just a bit away from the buzz of South Beach, whic can be reached by cab in 10 minutes.

All in all - A pricy but close to perfect hotel for familys.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank batravn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,367)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Lucerne, Switzerland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2013

We have been staying at quite some of the sobe hotels over the past yrs, we love sobe. So this was our first time in a 'resort', we usually prefer Delano etc. we were looking for fun over a weekend- and we got it all. This is more a Vegas style resort on the lovely beach. The suite was great, ocean and ocean drive view, therapeutic! Hotel service met highest standards which as amazing given the size lf this place (note to management: great job!). From valet to room service, this was awesome. We tried the lobby bar, night club (a must!), steak restaurant (v good food), sushi.... Nothing to regret. Great entertainment! If you don't like pretentious style and wannabe cannot handle silicone and wannabe gangb@ngers, you better go elsewhere. (Forget about the price tag- good value for money!).

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2013

We were in Miami for the BCS National Championship game and stayed at the Fontainebleau, in the Chateau tower, for a little over a week. The hotel and grounds are wonderful. The staff, from the front desk to the pool, where extremely kind and accommodating. The rooms are well appointed. There are plenty of restaurants to choose from. The pool area is nice, although you want to make sure you get down there early in the morning to reserve your chairs, as the place does tend to get crowded later. At night, the lobby bar is a nice place to have a drink and meet others or just chill. My only complaint about this hotel would be the in room dining. We were tired and decided to order in one night during our stay. The food was terrible and the server had to go back downstairs twice to get items that she forgot. Other than that, we will definitely be returning to the Fontainebleau next time we go to Miami. In the end, our team won the BCS National Championship and we left there with memories that we will never forget. ROLL TIDE!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank brandi0604
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2013

We had made our reservation as part of the Orange Bowl package for our university. This hotel is beautiful but on the expensive side. When we first arrived we encountered a problem with the valet who kept asking us if we could afford the valet - very rude to do that. Being that I made the reservation, we gave my last name for check in and I proceeded on the long walk to the lobby - I am handicapped and don't do a lot of walking anymore. When I got to check-in the lady was very friendly and I wish I could remember her name and Rob caught up to me and gave his ID and they found the reservation no big deal. He told me that the valet staff unloaded the car and really hoped we were staying there - their 2nd mistake and the lady apologized for that. We checked in on Sunday, December 30th and when she was getting our room keys I asked if it was a handicapped room as requested, it was not but she upgraded us to a beautiful ocean view room with a handicap bathroom. The room was so nice and I enjoyed being able to sit on the balcony to look at the ocean or all the pools - I counted 7 from our room. The hotel we very busy and probably could have had more staff, but the other staff we encountered during our stay were always friendly and helpful especially the concierge desk and housekeeping. If you eat at the restaurant for dinner, I recommend the Gotham Steak House - it was excellent and has a huge wine selection. Also, at check in they give you a wrist band for the pool area and you must wear it to enter - if you don't they charge you $30 at the pool area - if you forget it go to the front desk and they will give it to you free. We stayed in the hotel for New Years Eve and attended the party in Arkadia - nice waitress but had to walk up and down a lot of stairs to get to - no handicap access. When we checked out on January 2nd, I dealt with Katrina and we discussed the problems we had incurred and she gave me the name of the front desk manager so I could voice my thoughts to her and also let her know the pros of the hotel - one of which is the spa very relaxing, the variety of restaurants, access to beach, the Bleau Bar and the spacious room we had with the ocean view. I know that she had been out of the office until this week and they also were hosting the BCS Bowl game teams and guests so hopefully I will hear back next week. I would visit the hotel again if in the area because the pros did outweigh the cons. If you are on a budget, this hotel is on the expensive side so either look for deals or see what else is around the area.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank kitty14221
Ottawa, Ontario
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2013

First I have to say... We had a TIME.. Because it's all about having a time.... Times were had lounging around the pool & Hottub. Your service was amazing. Fast, beers were always in our hands and did I mention we had a time with ya? Thanks again for everything. We'll be back soon. Already planning another shaker.

Alex, Todd, Andrea & Happy Beaupy

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
San Francisco, CA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2013

I was so looking forward to staying at this legendary hotel; only to be disappointed by the reality. First problem - you are nickle-and-dimed from beginning to end, and you definitely feel like their hands are in your pockets. When we pulled up in our rental car, the parking valet informed us that it would cost almost $40/day to park, and that there were no other parking options. That was a fine welcome to the hotel! Then, at check in, we were informed of additional daily charges for things like internet service that should really be included given the prices we were paying. All restaurants at the hotel automatically charge 18% gratuity regardless of party size (and despite the fact that the food prices were already higher than average). The pools themselves were lovely in design, but hard to enjoy given the hordes, the multiple rows of tightly adjoining chairs and constant booming club music. The hotel is absolutely massive - we had to walk through the conference center to get to our elevator banks. It felt like we were on the Vegas strip. The spa was a bright spot, but even there the service was spotty - I sat in my robe waiting, but my aethestician failed to show so they had to reschedule (although this situation was definitely made better when the manager appeared personally to apologize and comp'd the facial). In short, I won't go back. The Eden Roc next door seemed much closer to what I had hoped for - a beautifully located, refined and relaxing space.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Kresge86
ny
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2013

We were there Christmas week for the second year in a row. We had a great time last year as well but we felt that service had been kicked up another notch. Taking into account how full and crazy the resort was, we beleive the service was amazing. If you go Christmas week, you have to understand that it willl be crowded but we never had trouble getting a spot on the beach or at the pool when we arrived between 9 and 9:15. You also have to understand that prices for everything are expensive and they add an 18% service charge to almost everything. The only thing I would change is the music at the pool. Not only are you forced to listen to loud music that you may or may not like but at times there would be one song at the pool and a different one at the outdoor restaruant and you would hear both at the same time and it just became a blurred cacophany. Otherwise, we loved every aspect of the hotel. Stayed in Tresor and love that building.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family