“Overated and overpriced”

Ranked #45 of 208 Hotels in Miami Beach
Baltimore, Maryland
“Overated and overpriced”
Reviewed November 14, 2012

The Fontainebleau Resort has a longstanding reputation as one of the best in the country. This was not my experience during a recent stay at the resort. The facilities are gorgeous, but there are several issues with service throughout the organization. In particular, I found that while some of the food was exceptional, other restaurants were overpriced and bland. The valet service was atrocious and failed to deliver my car on several occasions despite calls.

I have stayed at numerous high end facilities over the years, and I recognize and commend quality when I see it. In my opinion, with my recent stay in mind, the Fontainebleau did not meet my expectations at all...

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
FBHotelManager, Manager at Fontainebleau Miami Beach, responded to this review, November 25, 2012
Dear Ron, Thank you very much for your review. I apologize on behalf of my entire team if your experience did not meet your expectations during your recent visit. Our entire Team of 2,300 works diligently to produce an exceptional guest experience and I am sorry we were unable to do that for you. We have reviewed your comments with the team in order to improve our products and services. I hope to have the opportunity to host you at Fontainebleau again in the future to change that perception around.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,408)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
Florida
Reviewed November 14, 2012

The Fountainebleau is, of course, an iconic Miami Beach hotel. And staying there is an experience.

I booked what I thought was a room at $329, but when you add in all the fees it ended up being $450 for a night. I really have no problem paying top dollar for a 5 star resort or paying for ocean view (which I did), but I hate that the reservation doesn't include the full price of the hotel. I frankly felt that the reservation rate was deceiving.

The property is, of course, beautiful. We had a room in the main tower, which was great, the view was beautiful, over the pool to the ocean. The room was nice, very clean, the beds were comfortable and I had a good nights sleep.

Pros: the room, the view, the nature of the resort. We also were able to check in early and I found the service once in the hotel to be good.

Cons: fees, fees, and more fees. The valet service was atrocious. No one greeted us when we pulled in, we couldn't figure out who was supposed to take the bags or the car (we, in fact had to ask for service which made no sense as it was no crowded).

Regarding the spa, I was very pleased with my lapissage (a massage), my pedi was fine but not exceptional.

Room Tip: Pay a lot of fees to get ocean view, then pay fees to get guaranteed double beds, then request room...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank samthebeachdog
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 13, 2012

The hotel is traditional, refurbished with a modern touch, very beautiful and with things to do at all time, day and night, inside or outside. It is close enough to Miami beach bars but you don't need to leave the hotel to have fun. They have one of the most famous dance clubs in Miami and also nice restaurants. Pool party during the weekend but if you want a less noise place there are many pools. Saturday night the lobby was so busy that it looked like a concert was about to happen but considering it was one day before Issac's Hurricane it was great to have things to do without the need to leave the hotel. Staff is friendly and it is easy to meet people in the pool. The beach also is there for you! If you want a more personal feeling I would recommend a smaller hotel.
My mum as a 73 years old found it too big, everything was very price as expected by the cost of the rooms and to get from one place to other you need to walk quite a lot inside the hotel. Also we had my niece with us and they got her a cribs and even a toy as present. If you need a microwave in the room to heat baby's food you can request under a fee. Fair enough.
Well...I loved it and will definitely go back with a friend! It is great to stay in a hotel full of events history, etc If you are in a budget and staying for a week with the main objective of going shopping or sightseeing I would recommend you to stay in a simpler hotel for few week days ( as you will be probably out a lot) and then stay the weekend at this hotel to enjoy of the buzz!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed November 13, 2012

I have been lucky enough to stay at the Fontainebleau Hotel a few times in my life and each time it holds up to its prominent reputation. The grounds and facilities are constantly being updated while always holding some of the original charm and elegance from its history back in the 50s.

This was a very special vacation for my girlfriend and I. David A, the hotel Manager, took special care to make this trip memorable. He really went above & beyond to make it special for us and made himself available day & night if we needed anything.

They have a huge staff and it seems to be very well managed such that the customer's needs are always put first. The pools and surroundings were all immaculately clean, housekeeping was prompt and thorough, and all of the staff was helpful.

The restaurants are all wonderful, this time I went to Scarpetta and La Cote (twice). Both were divine and worth every penny. LOVED Hakkasan the last time I visited the Fontainebleau. I have only had appetizers and drinks at Gotham - they were great and I plan to have dinner there next time.

This was also my first time visiting the spa - I highly recommend it. You are invited to stay after your massage and enjoy the rest of their facilities at no extra cost, which include steam rooms, hot tubs and several therapeutic rain showers.

Can't wait to return!

Room Tip: LOVED the Sorrento Jr Suites - my first time in this building.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Fort Myers, Florida
Reviewed November 13, 2012

Attended a business conference here in October. I tend to be leery of mega resorts but had a great experience. The property was beautiful and service was very good. When I said that i did not want to be in a room facing the elevator, I was upgraded to a deluxe room with gorgeous views of the ocean and city skyline. The restaurants in the hotel were pricy but the food was good. The breakfast restaurant had a great buffet and wonderful service.

Room Tip: Ask for a free upgrade with ocean views.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed November 12, 2012

Simply put, of all the resorts I've visited and places I've stayed Fontainebleau on Miami beach now securely holds the #1 spot on my list of visited hotels. The basis of the trip was centered around enjoying the splendors of Miami Friday night and Saturday before heading to the Dolphins game on Sunday and then departing the city.

From the moment we arrived, early on a Friday evening we were bombarded with an unbelievable level of Glamor. As soon as we had left the valet area and walked up the steps we found our selves in a the hotels beautiful main lobby. The hotel lobby bar was full of energy, people mingling with drinks, fantastic music playing against an ambiance complete with changing lighting.

Simply put, our corner suite was heavenly. The hotel beds were amongst the best I've slept in, the sitting area was spacious. TVs in every room (2 large screens in the sitting room and bedroom, small screen flatpanel in the bathroom.
The suite had a large soaker tub, separate standup shower and separate toilet.

We spent both nights of our trip at one of the bars in the hotel, Arkadia. The service was fantastic. Although I will admit the drink prices were above what I had prepared myself for, the experience was one to remember! We elected one night to have bottle service at our table and it was fantastic.

I will return. However I'll underline this hotel is not a "value" type stay. This is a prime example of you get what you pay for. In this instance I believe you are paying top dollar but you are staying at the premiere hotel on Miami beach with an incredible pool, fantastic night light and the center point to an energetic night life on this action packed island.

I should be clear

Room Tip: Recommend a suite overlooking the vast pool area with an ocean view. The Chateau tower is the center...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed November 12, 2012

had my iphone stolen and security didnt lift a finger! thieves in the club beware. i didn't drink at all and my purse was on me the whole time. when i looked down at my purse i noticed it was open, and my iphone was gone

Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Elena,
It is unfortunate that your review describes an isolated incident that occurred during your visit rather than your entire experience at the hotel. In reviewing the information regarding your investigation, I understand my team did try to assist you in every way possible to locate the item that was misplaced. We would never ignore a theft claim and take these cases very seriously.
I hope you will give Fontainebleau another opportunity to change your perception of the hotel around.
Please don't hesitate to contact me should you have any further questions.
Thank you, Hotel Manager.