“Hated it!!! Don't stay at this hotel, you will be disappointed!!!”

Shore Club South Beach Hotel
Ranked #56 of 210 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed September 19, 2006

1- Hotel rooms feel cheap, quality of TV signal was bad, bed mattress was not comfortable, bathroom is dark and looked like prison cell. Floors are too cold and slippers are the cheapest quality. Bath robe was humid and very cheap.
2- At night, the music from Sky bar can be heard. We had to sleep with ear plugs (which thankfully we took with us)
3- Valet parking service is probably the worst I’ve experienced in my life. Normally, it takes at least 20 mins for your car to be brought even if you call in. One day it took them 1 hour and 15 mins (I had called 15mins earlier from my room). I sat 1 hour outside in the heat and crowded place. They had lost my car. The hotel manager came out as there were at least 3 more guests who have been waiting more than 30 mins. However, the hotel manager never even apologized. The person in charge of valet responded with 1 night free of charge of valet parking. On the same day I had to wait another 40 minutes, they had lost my car again.
4- There are many bellmen and parking staff outside but no one really helps you. I had to open the door for my wife every single time.
5- Reception staff is not friendly, they hardly smile.
6- What´s with the pet allowance. It looks like a zoo!
7- I had planned to have dinner with my wife at Nobu. Impossible! They don’t take reservations for 2 and tha wait time would be 1hour and 40 mins!!!! So we had dinner at Ago and we never had chance to dine in Nobu, even if we stayed in the hotel (Absurd!)
8- “state-of-the-art fitness equipment”, is a joke. It looked like a basement gym for prison. No TV’s , no bottled water, equipment was rundown and ill maintained. It was also dark and creepy.
9- Overall Service is really bad and the place just looks dirty.
10- I have stayed at the Mondrian and Delano, and I can say it is quite difficult to understand why the Shore Club cannot be on same level. I travel a lot around the world and this one is quite one of the worst hotel experiences ever.
11- At the price I paid, (also with SkyBar VIP package which I couldn’t use as reservations were necessary and it was all booked!), I would’ve preferred staying at Delano, Loews, Ritz down the street.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
3  Thank mtoyo
There are newer reviews for Shore Club South Beach Hotel

Reviewed September 18, 2006

The hotel is in a nice location and there is certainly a club atmosphere here that's pretty swanky. But - and this is a big but - the rooms were pretty dismal. Ours looked out on the rundown rooftop of the building next door. Someone had etched a swastika in one of the old air conditioners up there. The bed was decent, if hard. There were ants in our room. No blowdryer. No place to put anything in the bathroom. It was so minimal it was cell-like.

They cleaned the rooms each morning and did a decent job, but someone next door had ordered a banana split for room service during the night and it sat in front of their door for the whole day. Pretty remarkable, actually since there *appeared* to be so many staff people.

Nobu (the restaurant there) is great, but its not New York's Nobu and I don't necessarily need to scream over techno to talk through dinner. The pool was crap, but there were some nice little secluded places to discover.

The beach was quite nice, however, and service was great and attentive out there.

As you can see, I would not recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed: August 2006
Reviewed September 18, 2006

I used to love staying at the Shore Club, but I am afraid it's time to move on. From what I understand, there is either new management or ownership and it shows. I have stayed at the the Shore Club on several occassions, and for my loyalty, I received a crappy room, across the hall from a room being renovated. No upgrade was offered, when in years past I received one without even asking. The usually helpful doormen were not, with the exception of some of the daytime crew. Those who have stayed here will recognize their faces as long time Shore Club employees and good doormen. The rest sucked. Also, the clientele has changed from couples, singles, and families to large groups. During my stay, I saw several groups of 6-8 check in together, which I didn't see before. My advice now would be to book your table at Sky Bar, hang out and party, but stay elsewhere. Don't get me wrong, the hotel is still good, and if you never stayed there before, you may not notice the changes. If you have been there before, then things will be obvious to you. The hotel has changed, but the rates have not.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
2  Thank jbrav007
Reviewed August 17, 2006

I was rather hesitant to stay at The Shore Club based on reviews posted on this site. However, I decided I liked the location and since it was on my company's preferred list, I gave it a whirl. I am so glad I did.

PROS:
- Location. Smack next to the beach and on Collins Ave, surrounded by shops, bars, restaurants and other hotels. A hop, skip and a jump to Lincoln St. shopping among other great places.

- The room I had was fantastic! Since it was a corporate rate I figured I'd get stuck in a shoebox. My room had a separate living room, abundant closet space and a bathroom the size of an old apartment I had in Manhattan. 2 televisions, an partial ocean view (no terrace) and all the ammenities you could ask for. The room didn't have a dvd player so I called the front desk and had one brought up in a matter of minutes. SUPER comfy bed and pillows. The concrete floor didn't bother me. My room also had 2 temperature control units and large windows that opened.

- The dining/bar facilities are top notch. I was expecting major attitude but received none. Nobu is delicious.

- The atmosphere of the outside areas is so relaxing. I was at The Shore Club on business and looked forward to returning to this lush retreat nightly. I had to walk through a gorgeous courtyard and through Nobu to get to my room.

CONS:
- Check-in took awhile...but only because I was behind a large business group.

- Valet parking is my only true complaint. I waiting upwards of 45+ minutes for my car the three days I stayed there - and I had called ahead a half hour prior to even leaving my room. They need to get this taken care of. The woman who runs valet didn't even apologize to me for her lack of coordination.

Overall, I would absolutely recommend this hotel and will definitely stay there the next time I'm in Miami.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled on business
1  Thank wgsNYC
Reviewed August 7, 2006

I stayed at this hotel in March this year and had mixed feelings.

The LOBBY was very cold and clinical. I hated the flooring and it was not nearly as nice as it looked on hotel website.

The STAFF were ok but you felt you had to look your best the whole time in order to be looked after. I don't think i saw anyone over 30 the whole time i stayed here and everyone was skinny and beautiful!

The ROOMS were very small and had stone floor (very cold) and had clinical white bed sheets.

The BATHROOM was very nice with an oversized bath which you could have fit four people in! and nice trendy large sink.

The POOL was very nice if a little pretentious. Very nice sunbeds but i suggest you sit at the second pool nearest the beach if you want a quieter more relaxing sunbathing experience. Also the drinks around the pool were very expensive but service very good if you did want to order drinks/food or needed help locating sunbeds

I can't comment on the RESTAURANTS as i did not eat in any of them -with so much choice in Miami who needs to eat in over inflated price hotel restaurants.

Overall i would say this hotel is overpriced and would suggest staying at the Loews instead. Much nicer rooms and pool just as nice

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Pete82
Reviewed August 4, 2006

Stayed at the shore club from July 19 -24 2006. I wanted to stay there after my night time / clubbing experience from a previous south beach visit. The minimalist concept was not appealing to me. Especially for the price that was paid for the room. Over $450 a night for an ocean view. All white rooms with concrete floors makes anyone feel like they are in an insane asylum. I did not feel like my room was priced accordingly to my accomodations. I would have much rathered stayed at the Loews South Beach. Would not do it again. However, if you get a chance to check out a party there....do it. But if you think your lodging experience will be the same as the night life there...don't hold your breath. To top it all off, the housekeeping staff sucked! PS --> I agree with the previous reviewer who stated that this hotel is on the wrong side of the beach.

Stayed: July 2006
2  Thank Welltraveledone
Reviewed July 20, 2006

I was concerned about the negative reviews but decided to take a chance with the Shore Club as the pool looked brilliant. Arrived at 7.30am after an overnight flight and was lucky enough to be able to check in straight away. Hotel has two blocks and we were in the smaller 8 floor block which I suspect is quieter than the main one. Initial reaction of room was that it smelled damp, however we must have got used to this over our 4 day stay as it wasn't a problem. We did not have a view - looked directly into hotel next door.
The concrete floor mentioned by others isn't at all nice and the room would improve immensely with a carpet. The military style beds were surprisingly comfortable. Hotel is obviously geared to short stays as storage consists of a small wardrobe and two drawers - we chose to live out of our suitcases! There were a lot of 'things to purchase' in the room including t shirts, toiletries etc which is a bit off. Free toiletries were provided but not replenished during our 4 day stay.

To get in to the pool area you had to show your guest card - there was security at both entrances which felt over the top as other hotels don't need it. Pool area was lovely but we didn't order too many of the extortionately priced drinks. In fact we breakfasted by the pool on food from the lovely french bakery close by and no-one said a thing!

Hotel is a bit further away from Ocean Drive than other hotels we have stayed at but it was walkable. My daughter is under 21 so we didn't go to Sky Bar other than early on our last night when I ordered two gin martinis at the bar ($28) - we couldn't drink them and when I asked what was in them it was pure gin - no vermouth or anything. He said that was how they served them there! We got some juice to make them palatable.

So in summary - wasn't as bad as I expected given the rooms but better is available for the money elsewhere.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with family