“A hotel for wanna be's”

Shore Club South Beach Hotel
Ranked #54 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed July 4, 2006

I stayed at the Shore Club from June 30- July 4th and I have to say that I was extremely disappointed by both the service and the accomodations. The rooms are very small and are furnished with IKEA looking furniture. The floors are concrete, grey and unpleasing to the eye.

The pool area is nothing to write home about either. The hotel boasts a pool bar that has over 75 different types of rum, but when I tried to order a simple pina colada the bar tenders didnt even have the malibu rum that I requested and did not want to make one for me fresh (they wanted to give me a pre-made drink out of the machine). Price is not an issue for me when I travel and Im receiving top notch quality and service, but to get a pre-made pina colada for the price of $18.50 in a paper cups is absolutely ludacris.

The service at the hotel was non-existant. When I travel I like to be waited on hand and foot (why else stay in a 5 star hotel?), I did not hear "can I help you?" once during my entire stay.

I live near Manhattan so I have been to quite a few elegant resteraunts and clubs and was not impressed at all with the Skybar (the club) or Nobu and/or Ago, the two resteraunts on the premises.

The hotel seemed to accomodated guests who looked liked they had saved their whole lives to stay at a five star hotel. It was very transparent that the guests who stay there generally are wanna be's we stay there simply to say that they have stayed in a 5 star hotel. The behavior by the pool was classless..people cursing and yelling and acting like wild animals.

I went to the Delano for dinner (at the Blue Door) and the hotel was beautiful. If you want to stay at a true 5 star hotel, I would recommend this place. The bungalows alongside the pool are simply fabulous.

Hope this review makes you think twice before you book the Shore Club Hotel.

• Stayed: July 2006
3  Thank Jhc42678
Write a ReviewReviews (3,610)

Dallas, Texas
Reviewed June 14, 2006

Don't stay at this hotel! It's not worth the price AT ALL! The floors are concrete and when you get into your very uncomfortable firm spring mattress at night you will have debris from the floor all over your feet! Also, the floor had stains all over it. Everytime I took a shower it flooded into the hallway and I would have to end up wasting a bunch of towels trying to clean it up. The hallways are very dark and I felt like I was going to a cave/dungeon everytime I entered my suite. It's very very loud at night! I heard the elevator ALL NIGHT making it's DING noise! People party until at least 3-5 a.m. every night.
If you want to make a local call they charge 15 cents a minute and they even charge for $1.00 for toll free calls! We requested a rollaway bed the first night and never got it and one person had to sleep on a loveseat! The second night we requested a rollaway again and three hours later we still had not received it so I called for the third time and they said they were all out! They did finally bring us one AFTER I told them that we had reserved one the first night and never received it...so basically I felt like they were not being honest when they said they were "out" of rollaways. The rollaway had stains all over it also! They charged us $800/night for our suite, then $20 for a chair at the beach and a$30 per umbrella! The breakfast buffet is $70 for two people. Unless you are willing to spend $800/night for a dormlike hotel I wouldn't recommend it to anyone! :(

• Stayed: June 2006
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Warwick, UK
Reviewed June 8, 2006

We stayed just one night at the Shore Club on the first night of a three week trip round the States and we were suitably impressed with the hotel. The foyer was swathed in white floaty fabric and the rooms were minimalistic and modern. The bed was incredibly comfortable and the outside areas were very comfortable. It was exactly what I would expect from Miami so was thrilled to stay there. The room we stayed in was a small suite and had a separate living room. The bathroom was fab with a great shower. Even the freebie shampoos were lovely (although if you wanted to buy them, they were v expensive). All in all we liked the hotel and the location right on Miami Beach but wish we had longer there to look around.

• Stayed: May 2006
Monte-Carlo, Monaco
Reviewed June 5, 2006

Took inspiration from our international jet-set friends, and decided to reserve the Shore Club main pool area for the Bharell Jackson US brand marketing campaign this March, just before the Miami International Sound Conference. Having read some of the reviews on this site, it is with great surprise I shifted through the comments. Ian Schrager is known for designing minimalist, highly spectacular hotel and bar venues for a progressive, young-minded clientele - NOT for old-money, top-to-bottom refinement a la Four Seasons.

Take it for what it is, an experience that definitely should be enjoyed when in South Beach. Room prices are slightly over the top, and as such I would recommend The Setai for an exceptional oceanfront condo hotel experience. But for the late-to-forget party/drinks soiree, this is hand down the place to embrace.

• Stayed: March 2006, traveled on business
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 30, 2006

I stayed at the Shore Club last week and gosh I don't see who would pay over $400/night to stay there (needless to say, I was not paying). The room was fine - bed comfy, clean linens. Bathroom was cool - glass shower, slate floors (no flooding problems). My biggest gripe about the room was that there was hardly any storage for one's clothes (small closet and no dresser). The bars at the hotel were convenient and a great time (Red Room and Nobu lounge). Food was awesome too (great breakfast of Eggs Benedict at Avra). Did not like the pool one bit; just not my scene (wasn't a pool in a pool sense; more of just a place to look good). Beach was out back, but not as central as it is to some other hotels. I guess in general I did like the hotel a lot, but NOT for that price. Wood be good if it were under $175-200/night, not anything more. Stay at the Delano instead if you like these types of hotels.

• Stayed: May 2006, traveled on business
2  Thank RunnerGirlNY
Reviewed May 15, 2006

Went down for a quick trip to South Beach for a biz meeting - with my company footing the bill for a coupla nights at the Shore Club at a negotiated rate of $300 a pop - though it's usually $4-and-change. What an unreal dissappointment.
I'd been in the restaurants and other public areas of this hotel many times over the years - and while it was old and needing work - it had some character and charm that seemed to carry it through - so I NEVER expected the guest rooms to be quite this awful.
Mine was an absolute cave - a total eyesore wedged in a convex area; totally dark - no view - concrete only - not even a blade of grass out the window. And though minimalist is usually fine by me - the furnishings in this case were old, worn out and alarmingly uncomfortable.
In this age of "premium bedding" even at places like Courtyard etc. - the 7-inch concrete slab bed and paper-thin linens were a joke. The desk, chair and awkward credenza were useless; the monster TV looked absurd in this age of flat-screen everything - particularly at a hotel that bills itself as the very essence of "hip." Ditto for the bizarrely-placed, huge fax-printer on the dresser - what was that even doing there? The cold cement floors were dirty and strange to the touch; the hallways are noisy and dark; the elevators slow and old. My entire visit lasted 4 hours - during which I ordered a salad from room service costing $42. I'd seen enough. I was gone by 8 pm. Don't repeat my mistake - and don't buy all the garbage in the gossip coulms. A lot of South Beach is still very run-down and needing major work - including this appallingly shabby hotel.

• Stayed: May 2006, traveled on business
8  Thank RobertaAnthony
Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed May 13, 2006

The week long stay at the shoreclub was about 7 days too long. The staff is incredibly rude, the rooms incredibly small, and with the exception of one bell boy we never saw good service. Though we expected small rooms, the bathroom was in poor condition with the tub leaking every time someone showered. This mean huge puddles throughout the bathroom into the hallway, and the beginning of mold and rot on the bathroom door. The walls are also paper thin and at one point I could hear someone pull a chair out in the next room. A hotel is supposed to get you access to the SkyBar, but my friends who came to meet me never had a problem getting in. And there are far better pools in other Miami hotels, where the pool staff is much friendlier and service-oriented as well. All in all an extremely disappointing experience I would never stay there again, not even for free.

• Stayed: May 2006