“Great place rude staff”

Shore Club South Beach Hotel
Ranked #58 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed December 28, 2005

The hotel is nice, the beach is perfect, the pool is excellent, and I even liked the rooms. The staff at the hotel desk were great, and even the concierge was great.

I found the staff at the red room to be very rude. I went there with a group of nine friends to celebrate a birthday we booked three rooms and each got a service at the spa. So we spent a fair amount of money there as a group.

We decided to go to the red room one night, we got in ok and we got a table there. There is no rest room in the bar so you have to go back into the hotel. I left to use the restroom and they wouldn’t let me back into the bar… so my drink got warm and it took me about 30 minutes to get back in an join my friends which is unacceptable… even after I showed my hotel guest pass.

• Stayed: September 2005
Write a ReviewReviews (3,561)

Reviewed December 20, 2005

The Shore Club is THE BEST HOTEL IN SOBE!!!!!
If You like luxury stay at SHORE CLUB!!! If You like to be around nice,cool people ....Shore Club!!!!If You want to fell like You in paradise...You will!!!!..if You'll stay at Shore Club!!!

Can not wait to go back !!!!!(4th time)!!!

• Stayed: December 2005
2  Thank Sergey M
A TripAdvisor Member
Boston
Reviewed December 19, 2005

We stayed here for three nights in November and had a great time. The whole hip scene was not our usual style, but it was fun to watch and be a part of for a short time. All of the staff that we delt with were very helpful, especially the concierge and the bartenders at Skybar. Sure the Marquaritas were $14.00 a piece, but they were delicious and hey we were on vacation. They rooms are just ok, but my expectations we low after reading some of the other reviews so I was pleasantly surprised when we got there. They are very sparse and almost ugly, but the beds are extremely comfortable and the bathroom was great. We did not encounter any problems with noise. We ate at Nobu twice and have not stopped talking about it. What a delicious treat! I would say go relax and enjoy yourself.

• Stayed: November 2005
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed December 5, 2005

Okay, I'd read all the reviews below for this place and had even tried, last minute, to switch to another property in the South Beach area. But a quick review of all the top properties revealed they all have similar problems with service and attitude. Some more pronounced at Shore Club maybe, but check the others and you'll find some reviews that are doozies.

So my partner and I just decided to go on with it, make the best of it, know that we'd be treated like dogs, and be surprised by anything good we experienced.

And good experiences we surprisingly had.

I should mention also that we were at Shore Club during their peak week of the year -- during Art Basel Miami -- so the crowds were even more challenging to deal with during this insane onslaught of wealthy, rude, needy guests.

Things went well for us from the start. We were greeted kindly at the drive on arrival, same at reception (fresh lemonade immediately passed). We found though we'd booked an oncean front king we'd instead been ungraded to an ocean front apartment. Fabulous. So we had a view of the pool and ocean the entire trip, with plenty of space to relax in (two baths, sitting area, bedroom).

Through the rest of our 5-day stay, we encountered nothing but friendly, helpful, professional staff. That was true in the restaurants, the desk, concierge, pool, everwhere.

The only annoying thing was having to constantly run face-to-face into their austere security people at roped off entrances throughout the property. These people take themselves a little seriously. But showing your guest card gets you quickly past all of these roadblocks. The only inconviences were when there were private party areas roped off (and this happend daily) which required finding a new route to the room. Seriously, we felt like getting back to our room was like breaking into Fort Knox with the multiple security roadblocks you enivitably had to negotiate.

There was music at night certainly -- very loud music on some nights as there were nightly parties held at the hotel as part of the art fair festivities. But the music was excellent and we didn't mind. Besides, we'd brought ear plugs as a precaution. Still the music lasted til 2:00 or 3:00 in the morning, so if you're not into this, best request a room facing the opposite direction.

All in all, a surprisingly good experience at the Shore Club. I don't know if previous problems and reviews caused them to revaluate their service posture. Or whether there are just good and bad days there. But we at least fared quite well and would return there.

• Stayed: December 2005, traveled on business
4  Thank rrgsantafe
Reviewed November 12, 2005

we stayed Saturday to Thursday and was very nervous reading the previous reviews regarding rude staff, noisy corridors and not been able to sleep due to people coming and going at all hours. the staff were very friendly nothing like previous reports they could not do enough for us,they upgraded our room to an ocean view at no extra cost. the beach staff and pool staff were extremley helpful at all times. we did go to the sky bar and cannot see what all the fuss is about. enjoyed the holiday

• Stayed: September 2005
1  Thank 939Dawn
Reviewed October 21, 2005

My boyfriend and I recently spent 3 nights at the Shore Club as part of our 3-year anniversary. This was our second stay at this fabulous property and you can read more about our original stay – over 4th of July weekend this past summer – a few posts below.

All in all this was our second fantastic stay and we couldn’t disagree more with some of the negative reviews on this site. We booked a special package for a Suite in the Nobu Tower portion of the hotel that included a $100 spa credit – otherwise we probably wouldn’t have come back, but wanting to make good on my promise to return to SoBe at least once before the end of the summer I figured it’s a good a place as any to celebrate our anniversary.

Of course, October isn’t always the best time to go to Florida – what with Katrina, Rita, and (lately) Wilma – but they do have a pretty decent cancellation policy at the shore club so I figured if the weather was completely awful I would just cancel.

When we got to Miami the ground was wet and the sky was gray so we were sort of giving each other dubious looks. I can happily report that it rained less than 4 minutes the entire time we were there from Friday afternoon till Monday afternoon over Columbus Day weekend. This was wonderful considering some of the locals mentioned that they had been dealing with unrelenting rain for the previous 2 weeks!

The Suite at the Nobu tower was very nice – our original room was on the second floor and had this awesome (and huge) outdoor balcony area (perfect for parties) but the balcony doesn’t face the ocean and the view of the ocean from the 2nd floor is not the best. Anyway, the AC vent was above the bed and had condensation all over it that was dripping on our bed. Gross! So we asked to be moved. No cool balcony on the other floors but u do get a better view of the ocean from your bedroom window.

In the end I find that the “Ocean Front” rooms (that are 50% cheaper than the Suites at regular rates) are a far better choice. The Suite is about 30% larger, but doesn’t really “feel” that spacious and most of the furniture is in the bedroom, making it feel a bit cramped. My gut instinct was that the second room in the suite was unnecessary, but I found that as the weekend went on, we spent more and more time in the living room, so it is nice to have after all. In the end, you don’t really need a suit unless you are entertaining guests and want some privacy for your personal effects. Otherwise save your money and go for the Ocean Front rooms – they are smaller but feel much bigger b/c there is no wall between the bed and the sitting area. Also, the desk isn’t crammed into a small space with the bed as it is in the Suite. Also, the Nobu tower only goes up to the 7th floor (with the spa on the 8th floor) and the Ocean front rooms are on the other tower which goes up to the 14th floor.

Otherwise the layout of the Suite is the same – although you do also get a powder room in addition to the main bathroom. The bathrooms are one of my favorite things about this hotel: The whole “wet area” concept is so cool. Growing up I used to get so yelled at by my mom if I made too much of a mess in the shower and I suspect that the designers came from a similar background. You know they are totally designing these bathrooms to spite their mothers’ harsh words at the mess they made as children. I remember reveling in the water splashing all over the floor and dripping around the outsides of the bathtub without a care in the world – b/c only rarely did the water seep out to the “dry” portion. Such fun!

The worst thing about being in the Nobu tower is that Nobu serves as your lobby. Not really a big problem except that if u want to go to the gym at 8 PM on a Friday night you have to walk through crowded Nobu w\ all these people getting dinner. It doesn’t REALLY get embarrassing until your workout is done and you have to make your way back through the crowds at Nobu in your sweaty T-shirt.

We asked the staff is there was any other way to get to the gym from the Nobu tower and he smiled saying that we are guests of the hotel and should feel comfortable enough to go anywhere we please no matter what we were wearing. Anyway it doesn’t quite work out that way. In contrast, if you are staying in the Ocean Front rooms, getting to and from the gym is only a matter of a short elevator ride to the basement – which is a much more discrete path than going through the always-packed waiting area at Nobu.

Otherwise, we spent the better part for days by the pool and the beach. We had more time than our last stay so it allowed us to check out the SoBe scene rather than just staying at the hotel like last time so we spent a lot of time at Nikki Beach as well. I will agree that on the weekends when the pool is crowded they don’t have enough wait staff to accommodate everyone as they should. Its not so much apparent when you order drinks, but when you order food it can take them some time to get you things like napkins, utensils, Tabasco sauce etc. they had two waitresses on the weekend and one on weekdays. I think they need four on weekends and two on weekdays and I suggested the same to the manager. But it wasn’t as though the service was completely horrific. The sticker shock after our first lunch on the other hand was a lil much (the 18% tip really gets ya! – not to mention the 10% tax!) but its all math – the next day we added 30% to the cost of each item and were not at all shocked at the final bill.

As I mentioned above, our package included a $100 spa credit so we got massages one evening. The facilities are pretty good – about the same as Exhale in NYC – and the prices, were on the expensive side – though the credit helped. They even have sunburn massages which I thought was funny cause I’d expect such a treatment to be torture. Also, the spa is in the Nobu tower so you can discreetly go to and from the spa without crossing through Nobu to get a treatment if you are staying in one of those rooms.

All in all a wonderful four days at the Shore Club and in South Beach in general. Again, no attitude to speak of – just friendly, accommodating, and good-looking staff. Young clientele and an all around good time. Will probably go back in the spring. Might check out the Victor or the Delano, but wouldn’t mind going back to the Shore Club after all. I think the experience is totally worth it.

• Stayed: October 2005
5  Thank cmm.
Reviewed October 17, 2005

I didn't stay at the Shore Club but I did go to the SkyBar on Saturday night. What a time I had! The music was great the people and service was top notch and I had no problems with the door men. I will say this, if you get a chance to experience this place do so, you won't regret it.

• Stayed: October 2005