“Great Experience at the Shore Club”

Shore Club South Beach Hotel
Ranked #57 of 208 Hotels in Miami Beach
Santa Fe
“Great Experience at the Shore Club”
Reviewed December 5, 2005

Okay, I'd read all the reviews below for this place and had even tried, last minute, to switch to another property in the South Beach area. But a quick review of all the top properties revealed they all have similar problems with service and attitude. Some more pronounced at Shore Club maybe, but check the others and you'll find some reviews that are doozies.

So my partner and I just decided to go on with it, make the best of it, know that we'd be treated like dogs, and be surprised by anything good we experienced.

And good experiences we surprisingly had.

I should mention also that we were at Shore Club during their peak week of the year -- during Art Basel Miami -- so the crowds were even more challenging to deal with during this insane onslaught of wealthy, rude, needy guests.

Things went well for us from the start. We were greeted kindly at the drive on arrival, same at reception (fresh lemonade immediately passed). We found though we'd booked an oncean front king we'd instead been ungraded to an ocean front apartment. Fabulous. So we had a view of the pool and ocean the entire trip, with plenty of space to relax in (two baths, sitting area, bedroom).

Through the rest of our 5-day stay, we encountered nothing but friendly, helpful, professional staff. That was true in the restaurants, the desk, concierge, pool, everwhere.

The only annoying thing was having to constantly run face-to-face into their austere security people at roped off entrances throughout the property. These people take themselves a little seriously. But showing your guest card gets you quickly past all of these roadblocks. The only inconviences were when there were private party areas roped off (and this happend daily) which required finding a new route to the room. Seriously, we felt like getting back to our room was like breaking into Fort Knox with the multiple security roadblocks you enivitably had to negotiate.

There was music at night certainly -- very loud music on some nights as there were nightly parties held at the hotel as part of the art fair festivities. But the music was excellent and we didn't mind. Besides, we'd brought ear plugs as a precaution. Still the music lasted til 2:00 or 3:00 in the morning, so if you're not into this, best request a room facing the opposite direction.

All in all, a surprisingly good experience at the Shore Club. I don't know if previous problems and reviews caused them to revaluate their service posture. Or whether there are just good and bad days there. But we at least fared quite well and would return there.

• Stayed December 2005, traveled on business
4 Thank rrgsantafe

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (510)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
south yorkshire england
Reviewed November 12, 2005

we stayed Saturday to Thursday and was very nervous reading the previous reviews regarding rude staff, noisy corridors and not been able to sleep due to people coming and going at all hours. the staff were very friendly nothing like previous reports they could not do enough for us,they upgraded our room to an ocean view at no extra cost. the beach staff and pool staff were extremley helpful at all times. we did go to the sky bar and cannot see what all the fuss is about. enjoyed the holiday

• Stayed September 2005
1 Thank 939Dawn
New York, NY
Reviewed October 21, 2005

My boyfriend and I recently spent 3 nights at the Shore Club as part of our 3-year anniversary. This was our second stay at this fabulous property and you can read more about our original stay – over 4th of July weekend this past summer – a few posts below.

All in all this was our second fantastic stay and we couldn’t disagree more with some of the negative reviews on this site. We booked a special package for a Suite in the Nobu Tower portion of the hotel that included a $100 spa credit – otherwise we probably wouldn’t have come back, but wanting to make good on my promise to return to SoBe at least once before the end of the summer I figured it’s a good a place as any to celebrate our anniversary.

Of course, October isn’t always the best time to go to Florida – what with Katrina, Rita, and (lately) Wilma – but they do have a pretty decent cancellation policy at the shore club so I figured if the weather was completely awful I would just cancel.

When we got to Miami the ground was wet and the sky was gray so we were sort of giving each other dubious looks. I can happily report that it rained less than 4 minutes the entire time we were there from Friday afternoon till Monday afternoon over Columbus Day weekend. This was wonderful considering some of the locals mentioned that they had been dealing with unrelenting rain for the previous 2 weeks!

The Suite at the Nobu tower was very nice – our original room was on the second floor and had this awesome (and huge) outdoor balcony area (perfect for parties) but the balcony doesn’t face the ocean and the view of the ocean from the 2nd floor is not the best. Anyway, the AC vent was above the bed and had condensation all over it that was dripping on our bed. Gross! So we asked to be moved. No cool balcony on the other floors but u do get a better view of the ocean from your bedroom window.

In the end I find that the “Ocean Front” rooms (that are 50% cheaper than the Suites at regular rates) are a far better choice. The Suite is about 30% larger, but doesn’t really “feel” that spacious and most of the furniture is in the bedroom, making it feel a bit cramped. My gut instinct was that the second room in the suite was unnecessary, but I found that as the weekend went on, we spent more and more time in the living room, so it is nice to have after all. In the end, you don’t really need a suit unless you are entertaining guests and want some privacy for your personal effects. Otherwise save your money and go for the Ocean Front rooms – they are smaller but feel much bigger b/c there is no wall between the bed and the sitting area. Also, the desk isn’t crammed into a small space with the bed as it is in the Suite. Also, the Nobu tower only goes up to the 7th floor (with the spa on the 8th floor) and the Ocean front rooms are on the other tower which goes up to the 14th floor.

Otherwise the layout of the Suite is the same – although you do also get a powder room in addition to the main bathroom. The bathrooms are one of my favorite things about this hotel: The whole “wet area” concept is so cool. Growing up I used to get so yelled at by my mom if I made too much of a mess in the shower and I suspect that the designers came from a similar background. You know they are totally designing these bathrooms to spite their mothers’ harsh words at the mess they made as children. I remember reveling in the water splashing all over the floor and dripping around the outsides of the bathtub without a care in the world – b/c only rarely did the water seep out to the “dry” portion. Such fun!

The worst thing about being in the Nobu tower is that Nobu serves as your lobby. Not really a big problem except that if u want to go to the gym at 8 PM on a Friday night you have to walk through crowded Nobu w\ all these people getting dinner. It doesn’t REALLY get embarrassing until your workout is done and you have to make your way back through the crowds at Nobu in your sweaty T-shirt.

We asked the staff is there was any other way to get to the gym from the Nobu tower and he smiled saying that we are guests of the hotel and should feel comfortable enough to go anywhere we please no matter what we were wearing. Anyway it doesn’t quite work out that way. In contrast, if you are staying in the Ocean Front rooms, getting to and from the gym is only a matter of a short elevator ride to the basement – which is a much more discrete path than going through the always-packed waiting area at Nobu.

Otherwise, we spent the better part for days by the pool and the beach. We had more time than our last stay so it allowed us to check out the SoBe scene rather than just staying at the hotel like last time so we spent a lot of time at Nikki Beach as well. I will agree that on the weekends when the pool is crowded they don’t have enough wait staff to accommodate everyone as they should. Its not so much apparent when you order drinks, but when you order food it can take them some time to get you things like napkins, utensils, Tabasco sauce etc. they had two waitresses on the weekend and one on weekdays. I think they need four on weekends and two on weekdays and I suggested the same to the manager. But it wasn’t as though the service was completely horrific. The sticker shock after our first lunch on the other hand was a lil much (the 18% tip really gets ya! – not to mention the 10% tax!) but its all math – the next day we added 30% to the cost of each item and were not at all shocked at the final bill.

As I mentioned above, our package included a $100 spa credit so we got massages one evening. The facilities are pretty good – about the same as Exhale in NYC – and the prices, were on the expensive side – though the credit helped. They even have sunburn massages which I thought was funny cause I’d expect such a treatment to be torture. Also, the spa is in the Nobu tower so you can discreetly go to and from the spa without crossing through Nobu to get a treatment if you are staying in one of those rooms.

All in all a wonderful four days at the Shore Club and in South Beach in general. Again, no attitude to speak of – just friendly, accommodating, and good-looking staff. Young clientele and an all around good time. Will probably go back in the spring. Might check out the Victor or the Delano, but wouldn’t mind going back to the Shore Club after all. I think the experience is totally worth it.

• Stayed October 2005
5 Thank cmm.
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed October 17, 2005

I didn't stay at the Shore Club but I did go to the SkyBar on Saturday night. What a time I had! The music was great the people and service was top notch and I had no problems with the door men. I will say this, if you get a chance to experience this place do so, you won't regret it.

• Stayed October 2005
2 Thank lexus300
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 7, 2005

We had been to the Shore Club before to dine at Nobu and it appeared to be a great hotel. So, we stayed there 5 nights over Labor Day weekend only to be disappointed by the majority of our visit. You could hear everything going on in the hallways and adjacent rooms due to the concrete floors. The maids didn't come until after 2pm each day and there wasn't even free high-speed Internet! We were treated poorly by the most of the staff and in fact, we couldn't even get into Red one night because they said it was "reservations only". We offered to purchase bottle service so that we could get in and they flat out refused. There was no seating available at SkyBar unless you purchased bottle service. I don't think you should be banned from all seating when you are a guest in the hotel. Nobu would not allow us to reserve a table for dinner and we had to wait almost two hours to be seated. Again, the fact that we were guest was not taken into consideration. Since the rooms were small and unimpressive, I assumed that the $300+ a night to stay there was to provide access to all amenities (such as SkyBar, Red, Nobu) without the staff being rude or refusing service all together. If you decide to stay there you will not be afforded any guest privileges!

• Stayed September 2005
9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
California
Reviewed July 19, 2005

What a disappointment! I read the reviews and should have listened. We paid a premium for our room and it was DIRTY. The sheets were ripped. The maid came in our room late to clean it, but she said we were in her way so she was not going to vaccum. The floor was cold and where ever one spills on the floor it spots. The shampoo and conditioner were refilled. The halls are loud and people are going in and out of there rooms all night. The pool was cool and NOBU was fabulous! I have stayed at the Delano and will go back there. CAN'T WAIT!

• Stayed January 2005
3 Thank rickwG3169HL
New York, NY
Reviewed July 5, 2005

My boyfriend and I were in Fort Lauderdale over July 4th weekend and decided to check out of our hotel up there and pay a visit to South Beach since neither of us had ever gone. I had heard the Shore Club and the Delano were the place to stay and on impulse called and booked an Ocean Front room for one night at the Shore Club.

Once I had booked my non-refundable night’s stay at the shore club I sat down in front of my laptop and checked out the reviews on TripAdvisor. Let’s just say I got a pretty bad feeling at the pit of my stomach after reading these reviews. All too often have I fallen into the trap of staying at these super trendy hotels that completely lack service, treat you like dirt and expect you to just be satisfied for having the privilege of staying there. My heart totally sank – especially since I knew I would have hell to pay for from my boyfriend who absolutely hates these kinds of hotels.

Having said all that, I am extremely happy to report that the Shore Club is not such a hotel. I was expecting plenty of South Beach attitude but instead got nothing but friendly staff that was nothing but accommodating for the my entire stay. In fact I would say that the money we spent to stay at this resort was worth every penny as the staff did everything they could to make our stay more enjoyable.

We were originally supposed to arrive on Sunday afternoon well after the three o’ clock check in time, but somehow found ourselves at the Shore Club at 1 PM. Our room was not ready but we were offered a key to the gym and told we could change there and leave our luggage in storage until our rooms were ready. To my great surprise we were lounging on the beach within 35 minutes of check-in.

The men’s lockers in the gym were missing keys which had all probably been taken by previous residents of the hotel but I figured I wouldn’t have a problem leaving my well worn sneakers without a lock as the gym area didn’t seem so high-traffic. I notified the front desk thinking that maybe you had to collect a locker key from them, but this was not the case. I was totally expecting a nasty look and a helping of attitude from the people at the front desk to brush me off and just flat out send me away because they didn’t have a key but instead what I got was a sincere apology. “I’m a little bit embarrassed to say that we haven’t taken care of the locker room issue, Mr…” she said. Very unexpected, and very nice!

We received a call on my cell phone just before 3 PM letting us know our room was ready, but opted to stay at the beach until 4.30 since we were having such a nice time. When we got to the room I was thrilled! Ocean Front rooms are the way to go (unless you can afford to stay in the pent house villa!) – our room was large, clean, and spacious and our bathroom even more so. The king size bed was uber-comfortable and it didn’t look and feel as though it had been squeezed into a room that was too small as is often the case at a lot of these hotels.

I don’t understand why people on this site complain about the bathrooms and the concrete floors. You are in South Beach, not Nantucket – you don’t need parquet floors! The floor was not that cold – and anyway its summer, I found the floor totally refreshing.

As for the $32 toiletries, this is probably becoming standard at higher end hotels as I have seen it in the past. But I don’t understand how some of these reviewers get so irked by this as they had complementary samples sitting right there in the shower/bathtub area. Just leave the expensive bottles on the shelf and go for the free stuff, it’s not that hard and no one is going to think any less of you.

A word of caution about the bathrooms, however: I was rinsing out our bathing suits in the sink and left the water running when the bell boy brought up our bags. When I returned there was a small but growing pool of water underneath the sink. As it turns out, the overflow is not connected to the plumbing and water simply leaks out onto the shelf and floor below. I mopped up what I could with the extra towels and called the front desk. They had fresh towels and a new hair drier for me in under 10 minutes. They sent a plumber up to check my drain in almost half that time. The plumber confirmed that the overflow was not connected to the plumbing and I promised to be careful when I rinse out my bathing suits in the future and hoped they would not charge me for destroying one of their hair driers. (I have not yet been charged for same, and at this point do not expect I will be.) Agian, the hotel handled themselves beautifully. Full Marks!

The entire hotel transforms into a club complete with a velvet rope outside the front door after 10.30 PM on weekends. It is nearly impossible to sleep (even on the higher floors) until the music stops abruptly at 3 AM. If you are coming to South Beach for some R&R, the Shore Club is not for you. What was at 11 PM background ambient noise that sort of gets you psyched for going out later that evening, had by 2 AM morphed into a totally annoying, regrettable phenomenon. Having booked our room only the day before we were given a room on the 6th floor -- which is a lower floor so the noise was all that more audible. We had spent much of the early evening walking along Lincoln Mall and Ocean Drive and had not wanted to go out for more than a drink or two. We had no idea that it was basically expected of you to stay awake until 3 AM when the party ends or else bring industrial strength ear plugs. When I had booked the room at the shore club I was told by the Vicky (who does reservations for both Shore Club and Delano) that the Shore Club had a better view of the ocean, a balcony, and a more party atmosphere. Boy was I in for a treat. They really mean PARTY when they say it at this hotel. I expect that the party often spills into the lobby and it’s not hard to imagine the lobby itself getting packed with 2,000 people dancing away.

At 2 AM when we were leaving the Red Bar, it seemed as though half of Miami was packed outside clamoring to get in. My boyfriend and I are not what you would think of as “beautiful people” so we were given some apprehensive looks when we walked up to the door around midnight. Thankfully, they took one look at our hotel passes and quickly let us through. A random couple slipped in behind us. The music was your standard top-40-rap-music that you might expect at a resort. Lot’s of fun in general. For $17 a drink, I was expecting a taller glass, but that is probably the worst of my complaints for this hotel. When you drop $460 a night on your room, you expect that everything will be priced along the same scale. So there were no surprises there. Still the drinks at the Red Bar were served in the same smaller plastic cups as the drinks on the beach which I did find a bit odd.

I guess my only other complaint about the Shore Club is the location. Being on 19th Street and Collins Ave it is rather cut off from everything else on Ocean Drive. Lincoln Mall was close by, and the beach in front of the hotel was great, but I didn’t get to see much of Ocean Drive and that totally bothered me. Getting my boyfriend to walk to the Versace mansion was difficult enough, and most of the shops on ocean drive are on the other side of the mansion which I didn’t get to see. That in itself is also a bit disappointing. I like to do a lot of exploring on my first visit to a new location so that I know exactly where to go if and when I return and I just wasn’t able to do that on this trip because the Shore Club is located on the Northeren end of South Beach.

Sleep deprivation aside, I had a wonderful time at the Shore Club. We were allowed to keep our room until 2 PM on our checkout day without incurring an extra charge but were able to leave our things in storage. We spent the morning at the beach, check out of our room at 1.30, and found a highly coveted spot by the pool until 4. The pool area is nice, though people reserve the chairs and beds very, very early in the morning so it’s hard to get a spot. On Sunday afternoon the pool was packed with like a million people so we didn’t mind skipping that for the beach. I was kind of grossed out by the people to pool-space ratio anyway. But on our check out day, Monday, things had quieted a bit and we were able to enjoy the pool. I don’t know what it is about hotels in Florida but they seem to have a bad and totally unnecessary habit of heating their pools. So you are sitting out frying in the sun and want to jump into the pool to cool off and get refreshed. Instead the pool water is just as warm, if not warmer, that the outside temperature. Personally, if they had music on the beach (which they don’t), I would skip the pool area all together as the beach is totally more enjoyable.

We left the pool at 4 and went to Ago the Italian restaurant in the hotel. the food was good, but nothing to write home about. Just your basic Italian cooking. Still, Ago is right above the main pool area so they offer a nice view and it’s a good place to grab a bite without putting too much effort into it. My boyfriend and I eat at Nobu in NY pretty often and have also eaten at Nobu London and Mykonos so we skipped out on this one.

Around 5.30 we went back down to the locker rooms, showered and changed, picked up our luggage from the porter and left the hotel in a cab for FFL. I thought checking out of our room and staying by the pool would be a total cumbersome drag and that the hotel staff would make you feel totally guilty for making them accommodate you for a few extra hours, but I found just the opposite to be true.

All in all the Shore Club is a wonderful hotel that has somehow gotten a bad name on this site for whatever reason. But I have to say it somehow manages to pull of the totally-cool-hotel-where-the-beautiful-people-are vibe without losing much, if anything in service and quality. Even the hotel-club phenomenon will not dissuade me. Instead, next time I will be better prepared. In fact, I cannot wait to go back and hope to do so at least once before the end of the summer season. The only reason I have stopped short of giving this hotel 5 stars on the tripadvisor meter is because I feel like I have not stayed there long enough to get a complete idea of how things are. My next trip will most certainly be at least one night longer. If you are looking to spend an entire weekend partying till you drop, this is the place to stay. Book now!

• Stayed July 2004