“Over-priced, over-rated rip off” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Shore Club South Beach Hotel

Shore Club South Beach Hotel
Ranked #64 of 203 Hotels in Miami Beach
Montclair, NJ
“Over-priced, over-rated rip off”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2005

I stayed at the Shore Club for 4 nights in May for a conference. I don't think I have ever been treated so shabbily by a hotel - certainly not one where my company was spending thousands of dollars for a conference.

The staff is pretentious and disorganized. When I checked in, they gave me a room across from the elevator and next to an air shaft that was literally shaking the room. I forced them to move me to another room (explained I am 5+ months pregnant and need my sleep), though they were rude about it.

They proceeded, over the next four days, to:
- have someone from housekeeping barge into my room without knocking to check on the minibar in the middle of the day, after housekeeping had already made up the room

- misplace something that was left at the front desk for me, and were only able to find it after I insisted the person who had left it told me explicitly it was at the front desk

- not have a room service menu in the room, then take 30 minutes to deliver one to my room (after questioning whether or not I really already had one)

- lock me out of my room twice when my key card randomly stopped working, which would not be a big deal were I not a 5 minute walk from the lobby

- wake me up at 6am when someone was doing maintenance in the airshaft outside my hotel room. Despite my 3 phone calls, they did not stop

- get the time of my wake up call wrong

Not to mention that the standard rooms are far from luxurious:
- no carpeting, so the floor always has a film of dirt

- no desk to speak of - they make it clear that there is high speed access, but the desk is barely large enough to fit a laptop on

- shower door not aligned right, so bathroom flooded every time I used it

- no place to sit other than uncomfortable desk chair or bed

- no carpeting in hallways means you hear every sound from every guest that walks by

The only things to recommend this atrocious hotel are the pool area, which is lovely, and the beach access, and the night life (though I have not seen much evidence that the place really gets hopping).

Any one or two of these problems would not be an issue, but for a supposedly top notch hotel, with a super-cool reputation, and premium prices, I guess I expected service. The service was not even 3-star level.

I cannot count the number of times I literally said, "I hate this hotel" - which I cannot recall ever saying about any hotel, and I travel quite frequently.

• Stayed May 2005, traveled on business
6 Thank esp313

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (462)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
st albans, herts, uk
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2005

stayed here at a mere $700 per night to finish our somehwat extravagant holiday to SoBe- party central! We spent the first 4 nights at The National- 300 yards down the road!

We decided on the Shore Club as we wanted to party like A listers for the end of our holiday, but after the first four nights of clubbing to some fantastic venues, we needn't have bothered!

The first thing to write about the Shore club is that it is a total con in terms of their room classification. my brother and i paid $700 per night each and a friend of ours paid 400 per night. i had the best room, yet my brother had an even worse room than our friend who nearly half what he had!!! When confronted about this, they could not really explain the differences in their room types and gave my brother some BS to fob him off!

During the day, the hotel is fairly mediocre. The minimalism of Starck and Schrager has not been done well at Shore Club unlike a few doors down at Delano where the interior is fantastic! The hotel looks like a 10 year olds art class at junior school with garish blues and reds srandomly and unartistically plashed around the pool.

They also have the cheak to add a compulsory 18% TWICE to all food bills. The reason that you pay the waitress and the chef a tip!!!! I thought this was a bit much!

Nevertheless in the evening such an average (at best) hotel completely transforms itself into a very cool venue. The skybar (basically the pool) and the terrace are lit with doxens of cool lanterns and the Redbar is very exclusive, patronised by scores of beautiful people! Nobu restaurant is fantastic- still expensive but half the price of the London equivalent. I swear I will remember their Black cod with miso sauce for a very long time!
The Italian Ago is dissapointing. I literally bumped into Matt Damon and when I called out to my wife (called Nat) he turned around and was a friendly enough guy! I guess that is what you pay for at the Shore Club.

In future I think I will stay at the National again as it represented very good value, but I am not so sure I will stay at Shore Club again. I reckon it would be better to stay at Delano and party a bit at Shore club. In fact the National has a better location than Shore club as it is right on the corner to Lincoln Road and many shops whereas Shore club is a five minute walk down the road,

Stayed April 2005
4 Thank jonnym
Birmingham
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2005

I just returned from a weekend at the Shore Club. First let me stay that we got incredible rates to stay here (around $160 a night.) and were stoked! We were 2 twentysomethings and ready to lounge by day and party by night, we definitely wanted the SCENE! We arrived and it just appeared to be a "normal" hotel lobby, nothing really spectacular or too chic about it. We asked the guy checking us in about a yummy food spot< he obviously was not the one to ask, He was not aware of much. And he did not give us any DETAILS at all about the property. That really was unimpressive. So, Where's the pool, where's the skybar? So, we felt like bumbling idiots trying to figure out where to go... And we are guests, I would have liked to see effort on their part to actually welcome us to the Shore Club, and give us the scoop.

We get to our room, on the 2nd floor, right near the lobby. It's TINY and the view is well, the parking lot. Oh well, I guess for our rate of $160 a night, rather than $600, not much to complain about. But, first glance we were not impressed. Tiny, concrete floors are creepy and it's so plain, like Prison like decor. Off to lunch we go. We check with the Concierge about lunch plans, and she recommended Sushi Samba. It was a good spot, and they have the BEST mojitos there! Sushi was great as well. Nice introduction to Miami. Back to the Shore Club details. So, we return to the Hotel and we had made reservations at Ago. It's weird, because we really did not know where it was located. So, we walk outside, and all the action is out here: SkyBar, Ago, NoBu, RedRoom,etc. B basically we stumble upon it. And, it was definitely a SCENE in there, but AGO is terrible. Food was awful and service was snooty and slow!
We hit RedRoom at SkyBar. Great fun! Cool DJ! It was great.

Loved the pool at SkyBar! Definitely the reason to stay at this place. However, you need to get up early to come down and reserve your spot; otherwise you will not any where to sit. The cabana boys were very sweet though and found us spots quickly. But, just be warned, you'll get down there by 10am and all sorts of items; magazines, sunglassees, etc. are left on chairs to "claim" spots.

The 2nd day we headed to the beach, because all the chairs at the pool were "claimed” and I was a little tired from the night before to actually be aggressive and grab one! The beach was wonderful.
Nice breeze~ the service is slow, however, because the serves have a long trek up to the pool area to get drinks,food,etc.

We ate lunch both days at the Rum bar, that's the bar for the Pool side and it's expensive, but good. And if you are a big water drinker, walk down the Walgreens on Collins and get a few bottles, because they charge a whooping $12 for a bottle water. Spending your days by the pool and beach and ordering food and drinks from the Rum Bar can be expensive, so just be forewarned.

I think the ShoreClub is a hot spot, and I would not mind staying there again, but I was disappointed in the lack of personal attention. Next time, they just need to be more customer focused!

I think the next trip; I would try a new place, The Raleigh or the Delano or Loews to see what's going on there.

Stayed May 2005
2 Thank foxy625
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2005

So yes, the fabulous Shore Club. White walls, modern decore and packed with celebrities. What more do you want in a hotel? I stayed there Halloween 2004 and it rocked.

POOL:The pool is fierce, though I could do without the "pool bouncers" but after the first day they get to know you and you don't have to show the coveted "pool pass" to get pass the velvet ropes. It did, however, keep the Euro trash boys out (who showed up in club gear at 2 pm, very funny to see them turned away). The servers at the pool were super cool and nice, more than happy to serve us lots of cocktails. No attitude at all. I was surprised by this.

FOOD: Nobu in NYC is so much better. Didn't like that it was in the basement and so crowded and fishy smelling. Sushi Samba on Lincoln has better food and vibe.

Sky Bar: Been there before as I go to Miami several times a year. Typical Lounge/ club but great place to see the famous ones. We started the night there every night before going out. There was an Ocean Drive party there for Halloween that was cool in the gang!

ROOM: Was large but rather cold. Too barren. Much better rooms at the Loews and the Ritz. Room was overlooking the outdoor patio and it was LOUD (music, people) starting at 9 pm- we didn't mind it but I could see how some may get annoyed.

OVERALL: Fun in a group, great pool scene, get to sleep in beds and get a tan. Great service sans the attitude but as for value, the Loews is much better. I would stay there again only because I get a corp discount that is cheap but I would NEVER pay the actual cost.

• Stayed October 2004
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2005

Definitely pricey. Pool was crowded (stayed over the weekend). Rooms have that art deco theme going (wasn't my thing). Very pricey rooms $400+, cocktails $16 a piece.

But...

The nightlife at the hotel is exceptional. So many "beautiful" people. The location by beachside is a big plus. I've heard worse things from other 5* places in South Beach Miami.

I wish it was less expensive but then it wouldn't be considered exclusive and the "place to be". Would definitely consider going back.

This is hotel is definitely for a younger crowd (20s and 30s) and not for families or those trying to enjoy a quiet scene.

• Stayed May 2005
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2005

My wife and I had two nights here prior to joining a cruise. Generally speaking the Shore Club is over priced in every respect however the staff were friendly and polite. We tried to find the "Sky Bar" but must have looked in the wrong place? Tables and seats in the bar area's should not be reserved for non-residents (or residents for that matter) which I found totally unacceptable.

• Stayed April 2005
Columbia, MO
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2005

My husband and I stayed at the Shore Club 3/8/05 to 31/15/05.
It was a fabulous time!
The lobby is beautiful and welcoming. The staff at the front desk were so friendly and helpful. The guy that got us checked in was named Brian and we had a nice talk with him while he did his thing. We arrived way early because of an early flight out of St. Louis and knew our room would not be ready so Brian kept our luggage and took our cell number so he could call us as soon as our room was ready.
We headed off to Mambo's for some lunch and a couple of starter drinks!
Our room was really nice. Great sheets!!
The bathroom is out of this world. A wall of glass seperates the shower and over-sized tub from the rest of the room.
The balcony looked out over the party area and then onto the ocean.
I will say, it is almost impossible to get a spot at the pool. Even going down at 9 a.m. all the chairs were reserved. We overheard a woman on the beach say she had reserved eight chairs at the pool but she never moved her rather large rear off the beach chair all day.
Oh well, who needs a pool when you have such a wonderful beach only steps away? The beach staff were very good. The minute you show up, they get chair covers and towells for you and send the girls over to take drink order. Please be aware that the prices are pretty high. The first day, we each had two frozen lemonades and our bill was $56. But, it's a vacation and when your paying this much for a room, you should be able to buy a drink. When you leave the beach, there's this guy at the gate to get back in that checks your card to make sure you are actually staying at the Shore Club. This keeps the locals from using the pool. (they could'nt if they wanted to there are not chairs left)
I had read that the rooms were loud. Well, yes they are but hey you came to a party place what did you expect? Take some ear plugs and be happy!
I think the loudest thing were the housekeeping ladies early in the morning. They would stand in the hall and talk loudly waiting for someone to leave so they could clean.
We had also read that people had thier bills all messed up with charges they had not made etc. Our bill was exactly correct.
The topless situation at the beach was not as it usually is. I am suspecting that it is because it is spring break and these young girls with the perky ones are afraid to let them out.
We have stayed at Roney Palace before they turned it into condos and then last year at the Tides. So, this is our third trip in 2 1/2 years.
We would stay here again but probably won't get the chance because they are going condos too.
Please don't turn all of South Beach into Condo City!!

• Stayed March 2005