“Good but not great for South Beach”

Shore Club South Beach Hotel
Ranked #56 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed December 9, 2012

We stayed a couple of nights at the Shore Club. Having previously stayed at some of the other major South Beach hotels I was quite keen to get to know the Shore Club. The location is very good, directly on the beach and very close to Lincoln (the small pedestrianized shopping strip).

The pool and outdoor areas are great. The pool is large and the loungers / seats around it are quite nice. However, there are other hotels in South Beach that offer more. For the evening / night I liked the cool atmosphere of the Delano better and for a day at the pool the Raleigh has set the bar pretty high.

What i also found a bit poor was that the Shore Club seems to want to make a lot of money out of what they call "incidentals". For example, when we came into our room we noticed a bottle of water - not complimentary but instead with a $7 price tag. In fact the room was full of small things you could buy at a hefty price tag (cotton bag with shore club imprint for $22, etc). I found this all a bit unnecessary given that this is not a cheap hotel in the first place.

I also found the room service a bit late - we returned from the beach at 3pm and the room wasn't made up yet. And the sound proofing of the rooms wasn't great. We stayed a weekend and could hear other revellers come back in the early hours.

Overall I felt it is a good hotel but i am not sure i would stay there again at my next visit.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dorothy Jean H, Shore Club Genie at Shore Club South Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 11, 2012

Dearest "McJever,"

We appreciate your feedback and apologize that we did not wow you on your first stay with us. Our items in minibar do come with a price tag but we offer complimentary coffee and internet in each of the rooms! Our valet and bell staff team do graciously hand out complimentary bottled water to guests who ask while in the lobby. Also, I am sorry that your room was not serviced when you came back from the beach. Our Housekeeping attendants came right away once they were notified and then made your room a top priority for each day during your stay! I am glad you did enjoy our great location and we hope that you will come back and give us another try.

Reviewed December 6, 2012

Overall the hotel was pleasant. Gracious encounters with staff throughout. Room was a bit outdated but the overall ambiance of the hotel as well as graciousness and smiles shown from staff made up for it. However one rotten apple ruined it for the rest. I decided to have breakfast in their restaurant before meeting with my sister who was only going to be able to see me for a couple of hours so I was in a bit of a hurry. Breakfast took almost 40 mins to get to my table for something I thought was a rather simple order of eggs and toast. The server informed the manager of my urgency but she simply nodded her head and continued drinking her coffee as she stayed seated at the bar. He was very apologetic and informed me that he tried to have it removed from my bill but she wouldn't let him as I did indeed eat my cold eggs. I found myself at their mercy of their restaurant during my stay as they are the only restaurant who offered breakfast, unless wanting room service. I wasn't going to allow myself not to enjoy the beautiful morning. Especially because they do have a great outdoor seating. However once again stricken with disgust at the lack of care shown. Throughout my stay breakfast seemed to be an issue for them. I didn't mind the wait, as the staff offered various goodies to hold me over, but not once was I ever visited by the manager. Worse when I asked her for the direction to the restroom, she just pointed it to me and the hostess then offered to take me. Sad how one rotten apple can ruin the bunch.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank michelle t
Dorothy Jean H, Shore Club Genie at Shore Club South Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 21, 2012

Dearest "Michelle T,"

While we are thankful your overall hotel was experience was pleasant, however my deepest concerns are about your experience at Terrazza. This is not the standard of how we treat our guests. Please know that our Director of Food & Beverage is following up with his team immediately. Please message me your contact information at dj.hicks@mhgc.com so that I can follow up with you on a more personal level and I will be happy to look into your check further. To end on a good note, I am glad that our graciousness and smiles won you over regardless :)

Reviewed December 4, 2012

Over all the resort was very nice looking and the food was delicious, is one of the nicest hotels on the beach no just becouse of its location and ambiance but becouse the staff go above and beyond to help guests, nice rooms and all the board walk by the beach for exercise and walk in the morning, the view is expectacular, breakfast in the Terraza restaurant was super, our server Jose was always there to help and assist as, impeccable service, we strongly recommend this resort to any one. we'll be back next year.

Room Tip: higher floors have better views
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Dearest "Michael Z,"

Wow, thank you for this lovely comment! Our staff takes pleasure in going above and beyond to make sure our guests are satisfied with everything! I am so happy your enjoyed the boardwalk located just outside our Shore Club beach gate. Also, Jose was thrilled to read your sweet words about him! He is very thankful. See you next year, my friend!

Reviewed December 4, 2012

My two girlfriends and I stayed there this past weekend and had a great time at the Shore Club. Our room was pristine, the bathroom was really nice, and we were completely happy with the size of the room. We spent an entire day by the pool racking up quite a bill at the Rum Bar (for some pretty weak drinks) but we had seats in the sun, so we were fine with it. Order beer, at least you know how strong it is. Also, someone from your party needs to get out to the pool early and reserve chairs on the sunny side of the pool. They will hold them for you, but you have to get out there by 8:30am.
The only major complaint I had came on Friday night of our weekend. Two of us walked down to Nobu without a reservation, and we were told it was going to be a little bit of a wait. The hostess asked if we would like to sit at the bar and get a drink while we waited. We didn't mind at all, and ordered a round. As soon as the drinks were put in front of us, the hostess came back and said that we could sit at a table in the completely-empty lounge area if we liked. That was fine with us, but it was completely empty, so why didn't she just offer that up from the beginner? This would have saved us a $38 round of drinks that we would have preferred to have enjoyed with our sushi. I really felt like she was using this tactic to get us to order a round and spend more money. We were annoyed.
Other than this one issue, everything else was pretty flawless about our stay. We enjoyed the pool and the scene during the day, and the prices were probably on-par with other nice places in South Beach. Its expensive everywhere. When we go back, we'd probably try another hotel though just to mix it up.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends

Dearest "Meredith J,"

Thank you for your honest feedback. We sincerely appreciate it and we are sorry that your experience at Nobu was less than perfect. The hostess was trying to seat you in their main dining area but once she realized it would take longer than expected since you did not have a reservation, she offered you the option of dining in the lounge area while seats were available. She meant in no way to cause an inconvenience or get you to order a round of drinks as a way to spend more money there. But I am glad you enjoyed everything else Shore Club has to offer. Our pool chairs are on a first come/ first serve basis. We wish you would come stay with us again!

Reviewed December 4, 2012

Shore Club made our trip to Miami Beach wonderful. From the comfy beds to the hospitality. We also had a balcony that over looked the beach! The food at the pool was so convenient and actually really good for hotel food - try the shrimp tacos!! We felt like we did not even have to leave the hotel during the day. Overall a great place and I will absolutely be going back!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends

Dearest "Julie C,"

Thank you for posting this kind and thoughtful review! Once you mentioned those delicious shrimp tacos by the pool, I can't stop thinking about them! They are definitely a treat. So glad you enjoyed the comfy beds and hospitality. See you soon sweetheart!

Reviewed December 3, 2012

I purchased a deal through Travelzoo's local deals for a spa day at the Shore Club. I've had a lot of massages in my life....this was hands down the best massage of my life. I walked out feeling rested and revived. The facilities are beautiful and the view from the 8th floor was spectacular. I'm ready to return from NYC to Miami just to go back to the spa. Ask for Brenda or Christian! Amazing!!!!!!

Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends

Dearest "HatteryC,"

Thank you for the shout out to our Shore Club Spa! It brings us much joy that this was the best massage you have ever had in your life!... Brenda and Christian are FANTASTIC!! I can't say enough good things about them either. They truly have magic hands. Come back soon for another relaxing and soothing spa day!

Reviewed December 3, 2012

While I've visited the Skybar pretty much every time I've been to Miami, this was my first stay at the hotel. I could not have been more impressed and satisfied. I stayed in a double queen city view room: it was beautiful, spacious, with a nice balcony. Double balcony doors meant that the room was wonderfully quiet when both doors where shut. The simple and elegant design was visually appealing. The large bathroom and wetroom was also very nice.

The rest of the hotel is equally as beautiful and functional. First of all, there is always a wonderful light scent in all indoors areas. The Skybar is beautiful and the drinks are great, as always. The pool area is great and the beach and the ocean are just off the back of the hotel. Staying at the hotel entitles you to free beach deck chairs. The table service both by the pool and on the beach is efficient and attentive. Finally the Terazza restaurant is perfectly located to overlook the pool and has great food. I loved the tuna tartare and the crab panzanella salad!

Finally, this is the best location in South Beach. Close to Ocean Drive (the Art Deco district), without the noise of actually being on it, very near Lincoln Rd (where all the shops and some great restaurants are), right on the beach and close to other great hotel bars/restaurants that one can pop to for a drink or lunch.

I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Dorothy Jean H, Shore Club Genie at Shore Club South Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 17, 2012

Dearest "Pansw7,"

Bless your heart!!... This is one of the most fabulous reviews I have ever read! We enjoyed having you finally stay with us after your many visits to Skybar. Now I want to know, when are you coming back?? Please let me know and I will treat you to a complimentary cocktail at Skybar just because you are a gem of a guest :)