“Beyond disappointed. Don't waste your time, energy or money.”

Delano South Beach Hotel
Ranked #46 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
A TripAdvisor Member
Boston, MA
Reviewed March 27, 2005

Beyond disappointed. Dirty amenities (guest room floor was visably dirty, bathroom as well, pool area, beach chairs and towels were threadbare at best). Hotel staff seemed to feel that they were being inconvenienced by simple guest requests, very arrogant/borderline rude. The front doorman actually told us to flag a cab ourselves in the street. Beachside the servers were nowhere to be found, took 90 minutes to get a fruit salad and a bottle of water.

We've travelled the world over and stayed in MANY luxury hotels- would not ever stay at the Delano again.

• Stayed: March 2005
13  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Reviewed March 16, 2005

I thought we would see the ocean - like another person wrote, only if you jumped on the creaky bed!! I liked the Art-Deco style but found the room to be typical budget-style, without the low price tag. It rained to whole time so I have no idea what the pool was like. We opted for the car service, welcome drink package -- what a joke!! Car service was only for 1 of 2 restaurantes we did not want to go to. Parking was impossible. Oh and the drink on the house was the saddest excuse for a mojito that I've ever seen.
Next time I will stay elsewhere.

• Stayed: January 2005
10  Thank KCG516
Reviewed February 21, 2005

Incredibly enough I decided to spend a night here when I was too tired to drive back to Palm Beach after golf and a couple of drinks in Miami recently. I had stayed at the Delano once in 1997, when my I was making the decision whether or not to lend Schrager Hotels a lot of money. I hated the hotel back then, but I had specifically requested their cheapest room to be sure to avoid any possible conflict, so I made allowances.

What a huge error! Despite booking through AMEX Centurion Card services, they stuck me in a "partial ocean view" room that had a view of a roof wall. If you stood on the bed and jumped, you could see a corner of the ocean (about 1 degree of arc). When I complained, the clerk admitted it was a scam. They offered me an oceanview room for $100 more. Stupidly, I accepted. The room was small, but bright (everything is white). The shower is tiny, and the bathroom is no bigger than a closet. All the materials are cheap. They position big bottles of toiletries where you're likely to use them -- DON'T! The big bottles carry a $15-20 charge EACH, and the sign telling you so is either absent or impossible to find. The teeny-tiny complimentary thimble-sized bottles are hidden on a hard-to-find shelf.

My AMEX reservation came with a "free spa service", so I had AMEX book a "free" massage. After a short nap, and dinner, I decided to get out of this depressing room and drive back to Palm Beach. I checked out about 3 hours after checking in. When the bill arrived by mail, I discovered they had billed me at least $75 in taxes, and $120 for the complimentary massage I never had. So, I called to ask them to correct the mistake. Their accounting person, Debbie, said she had nothing to do with it, I had to speak to the spa. I explained I had never been in the spa, and the hotel billed me for the service, so I should deal with her -- the bill came from her department. She testily told me to "have a nice day" and promptly hung up on me! So, I called AMEX and let them sort it out.

The Delano is a dump and a clip joint, and the worst hotel I have ever stayed in anywhere in the world in its price category, by a LONG COUNTRY mile. There are many nicer, hipper, more honest hotels in South Beach, and the Delano has none of the buzz it used to have. For buzz stay at the Shore Club. For service, stay at the Ritz Carlton or Mandarin. For coolness stay at the Tides. The Delano will let you down and ruin your stay.

Stay away at all costs. If you don't you're a sucker.

• Stayed: January 2005, traveled on business
35  Thank MikeONYC
Reviewed February 17, 2005

We have stayed at The Delano every winter for the last 3 years. When we first stayed there, the place was *HOT*. Lots of attention to detail, the service was flawless, no 'attitudes', and the prices weren't so high...oh, and lots of the 'beautiful people'.
Well, my husband and I returned for Valentine's Day. YUCK! I was so disappointed. This place is so over! The place is still beautiful, and I love the ethereal lobby and pool/garden, but you could tell that Ian Schraeger's attention is elsewhere these days and an 18% gratuity is now automatically added to the checks, so no need for good service. My husband and I enjoy just staying put, so we more or less spent all our time and ate all our meals at the hotel/pool. Not once did they get our order right. Then, they have a policy about the chairs by the pool...first come first served. We've stayed there for years, and on day 3, after following the first come first serve policy, I snagged a great seat by the pool in the wee hours of the morning, and later the pool boys gave me some crap about getting 'reservations' from the front desk for the good pool chairs. I went to teh front desk...no such thing (which I knew.) Someone was just giving the pool boys a bigger tip than me... so they were trying to move me to a crappy pool chair.
Anyway, if you want to see totally plastic barbie doll-gold-diggers sneaking in to the pool to pick up (throw themselves at) the ugliest old nouveau-rich geezers you have ever seen in your life while listening to (enduring) blaring high-energy-house music at 10am poolside, then The Delano is the place for you. If you want cool, relaxed, laid back, groovy young (or young at heart) attractive surroundings (and people), then head over to The Shore Club. We didn't stay there this last time because we were afraid of the weekend crowds at The Sky Bar... but it's worth enduring. And The Shore Club is a bargain compared to The Delano. The service still -----, but at least the music by the pool is relaxing and appropriate. Makes all the difference in the world.

23  Thank queenadine
Reviewed February 17, 2005

We ended up in Miami when our vacation in Key West ended abruptly because of my husband's medical emergency that could only be handled in a large metropolitan hospital. Having heard that the Delano was a cool hotel, I thought it would be a nice place for my husband's recovery until we could return home. I wandered in there after being up for 48 hours, driving from the Keys, literally looking like the wrath of God. I am sincere when I say that I was treated like royalty. The staff saw to my every need, and when my husband came a few days later after being released from the hospital, both of us were overwhelmed with what was sincere good wishes and any assistance we might have needed. The rooms are a hoot; white and stark but we loved them. We had an oceanfront suite with a balcony that looked out over the lovely grouonds and pool. Again, I have to say the service at this hotel is better than any we've stayed and we travel extensively and discriminately. The only complaint is that this is by far, the noisiest hotel I have ever encountered. These are some thin walls, folks. That combined with the squeaky beds make for some interesting eavesdropping; at all hours I might add. There was some serious kitchen noises coming from somewhere, also. We heard dishes and flatware clinking at all hours. To summarize; this is a very cool, hip hotel with excellent service and amenities. More than a few posers there on the weekends in lobby and pool that reek of inflated self-importance, but they're fun to watch if your in the right mood. We'd stay there again, but perhaps in the off-season when things are a little quieter.

4  Thank MaryMarg917
Reviewed February 6, 2005

This place is worth every penny. I really mean it. From the time you arrive to the time you leave, you will love it. Its an adult playground. No children, young couples and adults and awesome service. I really loved this hotel.

4  Thank JimmyNeuron
Reviewed January 10, 2005

I had the best time at the Delano. Was told to go there by friends. Went there by myself for relaxation, relax I did, and also had the best night life in my life. I did not want to leave. I have been back several times since and have always had a great time. One never touches a door knob, that is how good the service is. Will always go back.

4  Thank NYTravelerToo