“Delano is interesting...” 4 of 5 bubbles

Delano South Beach Hotel
Ranked #43 of 206 Hotels in Miami Beach
“Delano is interesting...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2004

The Delano is a beautiful place, although the room are very mimimalistically decorated in mostly white...white walls, furniture, bathroom, bed, everything! I prefer a cozier room with more warmth and plushness. I kind of felt like I was in a very elegant sanitarium, lol. The large orchid plant in the room is a lovely touch. There was a small window; I would have preferred a large sliding glass door or french doors. It would have been nice to have been able to open the window for fresh air. The restaurants were good and our waiter was GORGEOUS (most of the employees are quite attractive)! He could have been a model. I loved eating breakfast outside on the ground-level terrace; it was really relaxing. Even though the Delano is probably the best hotel in South Beach, I probably would not stay there again, due to the fact that I prefer the Breakers in West Palm; I just prefer the lush, rich atmosphere there more than the spartan atmosphere of the Delano. But others in my family absolutely loved it! It depends upon what type of surroundings you prefer. But nearly everyone was really nice to us, and the employee who made all our dinner reservations was extremely accomodating!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (367)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2004

If you plan to stay at the Delano, may I suggest any of the other 5 star hotels in South Beach. I have now stayed at them all after I stayed at the Delano in June of 2004. I only chose the Delano because all the reviews were glowing and it had the reputation of being the crown jewel of South Beach, and it seemed like a wonderful birthday surprise for my spouse who was celebrating a special birthday that weekend. All I can say after my stay is that if the Delano is the crown jewel, I’ll pass and frequent any of the other hotels in South Beach. At all of the other 5 star hotels I have always been treated as if I was a special VIP and welcome to be there. At the Delano I was treated like the uninvited party crasher that the hostess wished would just pack up go home. At check in I was given a card with my name on it and told to have it with me at all times for identification purposes. My spouse was also given a card to carry at all times. For the entire period we stayed at the Delano, we were asked to present our cards EVERWHERE we went, from stepping onto the steps in front of the hotel, to entering the lobby, to having a drink at the bar, to eating at the restaurant, to walking past the pool on our way to the beach, to swimming in the pool. When making the reservations, which were made directly through the hotel with a credit card to insure the room would be held due to an early evening arrival, I paid an extra premium of 35% to upgrade my accommodations to a 9th floor or higher full ocean view room. At check in we were given a 6th floor partial ocean view at the same premium price of the original room we reserved. The room was clean and nice, but we were never given more than one washcloth, bath towel and face towel or robe for the two of us to use on any of the nights of our stay. At turn down in the evening the single washcloth we were given, if we had mistakenly used it, was taken by housekeeping, and no one ever seemed to have enough time to bring us a replacement. On the one night we decided to have dinner at the Delano, instead of patronizing our other favorite restaurants in the area, we had appetizers at the sushi bar (the only enjoyable and wonderful experience we had at the Delano) and then went to the main restaurant to continue our meal. When we requested a table we were told that we would have to sit in the lobby to enjoy our “after dinner” meal and were refused a seat in the main restaurant, even though only 1/3 of the total seats were taken. On the one day we decided to relax by the pool instead of swim in the ocean, we were directed to a poolside chaise lounge and we ordered our poolside drinks. Before the drinks even arrived we were told by a pool employee that we were not allowed to sit poolside and were ushered to a chaise lounge to the rear of the poolside bar next to the garbage area. The final straw was on the morning when we were getting ready to check out, after being told we could have a late checkout, only to find out that was not the case, I had to kill a small red cockroach who was scurrying across the floor towards my suitcase. I still feel guilty about this because I’m sure the cockroach was as anxious to leave the Delano as I was and I prevented its escape. My spouse and I visit South Beach on average every 3 to 6 months, and will continue to make frequent getaway visits, but we won’t be staying at the Delano ever again. We will take our business back to any of the other 5 star hotels we have stayed at in the past.

15 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Leeds, England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2004

We arrived at the Delano for a 1 nighter stop-off on a drive down from Orlando to the Keys. On arrival everyone was very friendly, even towards me who looked like a tramp, and although I can imagine the snottiness that others experienced, we did not encounter such unpleasantries. I think it is a younger crowd that will get the most out of this place - the trendy soundtrack around the pool, the little shelters that line the pool with their LCD TV screens and high-speed internet access, the stereo systems in the bedrooms with huge-selection mini-bars, the video library and the games console rental services all seem aimed at 20-30's. Needless to say, at 28 years old, I LOVED IT, and as I proposed here (in the shallow-end of the pool on the metal table and chairs under the stars), myself and my partner probably had the best day of our lives! I think a longer stay here, and you would start to pull it to pieces.

2 Thank Sam148
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2004

I love simplicity and I love it when I find it while traveling on vacation. My husband and I spent Memorial Day weekend at the Delano and when we made the reservation 4 months prior to arriving, we had NO IDEA that South Beach was going to have so many "hip-hop" events going on. (no complaints). Upon arriving to the hotel in the limo, we were impressed with the private entry driveway which is surrounded by the beautiful landscape and the serene lobby. We spent the majority of the time in the room and the hotel's seductive yet upbeat poolside where we discovered that several celebrities were also staying here too. Our room was absolutely gorgeous with the best view of Collins and 17th Street. We loved just sitting on the windowsill and watching all the action on the streets below. We walked Lincoln Rd a couple of times and there were so many people. But we loved shopping boutiques and tucking away in some of the best dining spots. I especially loved Pasha's.

Because this was a very busy weekend, security at the hotel was tight...and we didn't mind. When we arrived back at the hotel they made us feel as if we were coming back "home". We truly felt like this was a home away from home. The rooms was simple and for the people who can NOT FIND elegance in simplicity, truly are not taking the time to inhale and enjoy life beyond your "typical" day.

Several people griped and had negative comments below. We even noticed a young lady complaining at the front desk about the loud noise of the weekend party events that were going on outside. People really need to realize that the hotel staff can NOT control the events that are going on outside on the streets. My room was located VERY HIGH and I think we had the best room in the place, but please believe me when I say....the more money you send at an hotel WILL NOT stop the noise outside the hotel. As stated above, the staff was simply excellent and polite from the doorman all the way to the bartender at the pool. People please...enjoy life or either get one!

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Boulder, CO
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2004

We weren't staying at the hotel, but wanted to walk through and appreciate the beautiful lobby & pool area, which we had seen on a previous trip. We were wearing khaki shorts and decent shirts. The doorman stopped us and told us there was a dress code--men had to wear long pants after 8 o'clock. If you don't mind this kind of attitude, it is a beautiful hotel.

2 Thank sddalg
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2004

As regular visitors to the Schrager Hotels in London, we were expecting the the beautiful lobby/pool etc but were still bowled over by the sleekness of this serene hotel. Although our overall experience was good and memorable (felt like a film star sitting round the surreal infinity pool while semi naked model-types sipped champagne!) we did have a few gripes. We'd booked an ocean front room with two 'double' beds. They knew we were two adults and two children. Heaven forbid if my husband and I had been on the porky side! The beds were ludicrously small - not doubles at all but large singles - even the 6 and 5 year olds complained of being squashed! The room was so small ($600 a night!) that there was no room for the suitcases, let alone anywhere for room service to place a tea tray. Our evening meal at the Blue Door started off on the wrong footing when the restaurant didn't have our reservation (which I had booked on-line and luckily had brought the printout confirmation). The food was good apart from the super speedy service - our main course arrived before we had even finished our starter. Breakfast was a fiasco - 45 minutes for childrens cereal to arrive. I hope it wasn't our dress sense (pls see other reviews re un-cool friends!), especially as I had made the effort to dress head to toe in white (maybe they couldn't see me!).

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2004

My wife and I were told that our room was not available until the following day. Either way, both rooms were very small and the furnishings were a complete joke. For $650 per nigt, I think something more than IKEA is expected. The worst thing was the noise. Even though we were on the second to last floor (right under the penthouse) the noise from the pool deck and nearby terraces was just ridiculous. It went on until 4am. We checked out half way through our stay and went to the Mandarin Oriental. Everything was great then.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member