“Wow - SO perfect!!”

Delano South Beach Hotel
Ranked #46 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed December 7, 2008

Not sure how anyone can fault this hotel, unless they simply don't understand what they're booking?!! The Delano is a very stylish (and unique!) hotel which epitomises the young, fun side of South Beach. It's probably not ideal for those who favour a traditional, 'formal' hotel but it DOES offer 5 star service, simply amazing food and drinks, a gorgeous pool (and pool bar), and the best lobby we've ever seen! A quick summary of our favourite bits:
- The food at the Blue Door restaurant. We ate breakfast and dinner here, and both meals were exceptional. It's undoubtedly expensive but we thought it was worth every penny. HIGHLY recommend the chocopistachio dessert!!
- The service. Everyone was friendly and helpful. The very best of American service.
- Our room! White, minimalist and comfortable. If you like this kind of thing, then you'll find that the Delano does it well. If you prefer gold plated taps and plush carpets, then it's probably not your thing!
- The pool bar/ lobby bar. In both cases, it seems that a young fashionable crowd flock to this hotel. We dined on Tuesday night and there was a DJ playing in the lobby/ restaurant and a very lively crowd.
- Location. Right on South Beach in the heart of bars, restaurants and shops.

Highly recommended!!

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
4  Thank toniebaldwin

Reviewed November 29, 2008

We have stayed at the Delano a few times over the course of the last year and each time a bit more lackluster than the next. I guess it is our fault for going time and again and expecting something different.

At check in no one helped us with the luggage. We carried our own bags up to the overpriced room as if we were backpackers at a hostel.

Once in the room (920) we found it smaller than our last. It was clean but shabby. At least this bathroom had a better larger shower that didn't get the marble floor all wet where you might slip and break your neck. The room had only one bathrobe. The greeting little fruit tray was shriveled up and the card was addressed by someone with the handwriting of a 4th grader.

Starved we decided to try for room service. Calls to the front desk took eons to answer. We put it on speaker phone and let it ring and started to unpack while we waited. Not answered using guest name. And a pretty prestigious guest I might add so he wasn't happy about that. We asked to be transferred to restaurant and we were disconnected in the process. No call back. We called again...held.....finally reached the Sushi restaurant and ordered took 45min to come to the room. Took them much longer to remove the dishes/tray which was still outside our door in the AM.

The gym is satisfactory and has good equipment but limited...only 4 treadmills? To get to the gym really feels like you are walking into the dungeon and passing by all the staff and laundry facilities. No staff made eye contact or greeted us. In the gym the A/C was so strong you couldn't work up a sweat in those arctic temps. We couldn't find the controls and just began our workout shivering.

Breakfast have to give compliments to my server he was attentive and friendly. Poolside waitstaff...not so much. Was parched getting drinks and waited even longer to get the bill when I was ready to go because there was no sun. And the pool was not even busy at that point. I hate to see the services levels when it is. Did notice the "working girls" that was mentioned by other reviewers but it just comes with the territory.

The night life and scene of course it so South Beach and that is worth stopping by for drinks but I won't stay here again. I had friends who came in for White Party and I warned them to just forget about the Delano. And I will certainly give that recommendation to anyone else who asks. Done with that nonsense. We just booked the Fontainebleu to try it out and hopefully that will be our regular spot from here on out.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank TMSenero
Reviewed October 17, 2008

Simply put; the hotel is dirty! In the public areas; very lovely (unless you look at your chair / cabanas set up at the pool before they put the towel on your chair; that is a good indicator of the filth in the rooms).

There was black mold in the bathroom, stains on the carpet in the hallway, and stains throughout the room. I thought in the 1st room; it as just a ramdon thing (the Delano everyone says is so nice...). I changed rooms 3x's; all dirty.

The last night I was in Miami I went next door to the Ritz Carlton; SO much nicer.

Would recommend the Ritz for your trip to Miami and the Delano ONLY for dining and drinks (for that they are great!)

I have always liked the Morgans Group Properties; the Clift in SF for business, the Hudson Hotel & Morgans in NYC; so shocked they are operated by the same company.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with friends
1  Thank vacation456
Reviewed October 14, 2008

My friend and I went to Miami for a weekend getaway. we originally booked at the Shore Club. When we arrived, we were very dissappointed. Not to waste anytime there....we immediately called over to the delano. They accomodated us graciously and effortlessly.

From the moment we arrived we felt welcomed. Dwight at the front desk Rocks! The rooms are GORGEOUS and spotless!! Beautifully decorated. I felt like I was in heaven! the view was awesome.

The pool was serene. A few children were there but the staff was quite attentive to see that they werent bothersome. The staff at the pool was courteous and fast. Expect to pay a hefty price for drinks. ($15/Mojito)

The restaurant Blue Door was YUMMY!!!!! ( The waiter Sean was easy on the eyes too!! LOL) the restaurant and hotel in all was sexy and mature. Great atmosphere. It can be pricey but it is worth every penny.

I definitely recommend this Hotel to anyone looking to get away!! I myself will be going back!!!

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with friends
3  Thank AtlantisGold
Reviewed September 29, 2008

I stayed at the Delano with a few friends a week ago. We work as travel agents in and around London and thought a few days away would be great and having booked our clients into the Delano previously, we thought we should at least practice what we preached.

On arrival we were not helped with our baggage from our yellow cab (was that because we didn't arrive by private limo?). We checked into our rooms and were really dissapointed with the condition of two of the three rooms. One room smelt of damp and had stains on the floor, walls and (to be disgusting) down the toliet, I presume from the last guest!! The other room was seriously tired looking and I estimate hadn't had a deep clean for many months. On night two at 3am I awoke to find a cockroache walking along my duvet and then found a further two in the bathroom. We spoke to the staff at Reception who could not be bothered one bit (again we obviously didn't have the right or shall I say expensive rooms). The pool bar was the most relaxing place although having not ordered a bottle of expensive champagne rendered us second class compared to others who were spending money like it was going out of fashion (obviously staff thinking kerching kerching in tips!!). During one of the evenings the hotel lobby becomes a hip happening place with the locals arriving dressed in not much more than diamonds and plastic surgery designer faces. My view on this is that we as guests subsidize the hotel during the week until the locals come out - you really are treated in a second class manor by the staff as soon as they see regulars appear at the bar.

Do I feel let down by the experience, NO (it's Miami afterall). Do I feel a fool for paying out quite a lot of money to stay here, YES. Being a travel agent we have access to all hotels along this stretch of Miami Beach and I would suggest anyone wishing to book a hotel to look thoroughly into all hotels before choosing this one as the hotels on either side of this one are superb. We will be suggesting some very good alternatives to our clients in the future.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank Trailfindme
Reviewed September 25, 2008

The Delano is without doubt the highlight of my Miami trip. It allowed me the perfect opportunity to relax in their superb hotel.

It is unlike any other hotel you will have stayed in before on so many levels. It looks different - very chic, stylish, and modern. The staff treat you as a friend and not as a client - unlike the stuffy regular Five * hotels. Expect a very personal service and the most impressive service from hotel staff ever. The pool concierge, the doorman, the bellboy, the concierge...they were all the best I have ever come across.

The rooms are beautifully designed and very white! Everything fits around this theme including the bedside radio! It gave me inspiration to go home and redecorate my own place.

The poolside area is very large indeed with cabanas with flatscreen TV's available to hire. To say these are stunning is an understatement. There are sunloungers available to hire poolside too.

The pool itself is low enough to walk in - but I reckon that you will find floating around on an inflatable enough - white naturally. I am not a pool person - but I spent two days poolside such was the luxurious experience.

The pool leads directly onto South Beach and guests of the hotel have their own private part of the beach with sunloungers available so you have a guaranteed place by the water.

The bar and food service is of a 5* standard - but with a much better service than anywhere else.

I simply couldn't fault this place at all. Maybe the price perhaps but you get what you pay for here and with the pound strong compared to the dollar I had to take advantage.

I have already emailed the Delano directly complimenting their superb staff - the first time I have ever done this. But this was a very special experience. I'll be back for sure so long as I go back to Miami. If no going to stay be sure to go for a drink - you won't regret it.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed September 20, 2008

We stayed at the Delano for a few nights in early September and had a fantastic experience with many more ups than downs. Let's discuss all the postitives of the Delano. Service is incredibly fantastic which included the porters, front desk, concierge, waiters and especially the pool staff. They were all very attentive and met our needs.

The lobby is unique an fun and the Blue Water restaurant was delicious every meal we ate there. Dinners had beautiful atmosphere and outgoing vibes, while breakfast was subdued and relaxing - perfect.

Food and Drinks are expensive, but that is to be expected - we hardly left the hotel.

Now the downside of the Delano. It seems to be a bit faded and in need of a makeover. The room had peeled paint and black scruff marks all over. The leather chair had blue dye and holes and the windows were filthy. In addition, the hotel is a definite hot spot in South Beach on the weekend and the non-guests take over the hotel.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with friends