“Hotel- Great, Rooms- Not so much” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Delano South Beach Hotel

Delano South Beach Hotel
Ranked #40 of 205 Hotels in Miami Beach
Haarlem, The Netherlands
“Hotel- Great, Rooms- Not so much”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

Upon arriving at the hotel you feel like you've stepped into a movie set in Miami. What an amazing lobby! Walking through unveils interesting furniture, art and decor that leads up to the exit on to the restaurant (Bianca- I also wrote a review about our experience there) and the pool area. The pool/ restaurant outside areas are truly magnificent. Trendy, sexy and luxurious, I loved every inch. My opinion of the hotel plummeted upon entering the room. The rooms are small but acceptable. However, the stark, all-white decor reveals every stain, wear and tear- and there are plenty to reveal. I was truly disappointed when I stepped into the bathroom- you could barely open the door (it almost brushed the toilet) and you could barely stand in there on your own, let alone with 2 people. They invested in iPod/iPhone docks, but have failed to notice that NO ONE has an iPhone 4 anymore, which makes it unusable due to the charger. iPhone 4 to 5 adapters for docks aren't expensive and it's a simple touch I would expect from an "avant-garde" establishment.
For the price we paid, I expected MUCH better room facilities, but I guess their intention is to keep you downstairs in the public areas, mingling and spending (which we didn't mind as I mentioned). Location is also fantastic- direct access to South Beach and round the corner from Lincoln Road.
Service is also good: I especially loved the valets, doormen and porters- so friendly!! I would definitely go back there again for dinner at Bianca but I will stay away from the rooms.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Jessica C
Dwight P, Guest Relations Manager at Delano South Beach Hotel, responded to this review, August 1, 2014
Dear Jessica C,
Thank you, for taking the time and completing this review. Although it seems as if you enjoyed your overall experience, I am sorry about the inconsistencies you encountered in the room. I invite you to contact me directly at Dwight.Palacious@mhgc.com as I would like to know the specifics of the room, so that we may remedy the issues. We are in the process of updated all of our older equipment to handle the newer devices that have recently come out over the year, but I am sorry that you were not able to get the full use of the room amenities. Regarding the size of the bathrooms, most of them are about the same size, but we do offer other rooming options that have larger sized bathrooms. Please contact me directly when you are looking to return, I would be happy to go all rooming categories to ensure you are completely satisfied with your selection. I look forward to hearing from you.
All the best,
Dwight

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (345)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

We love this Hotel, along with its sister Hotel " the " Mondrian" over on West ave.We usually stay a few days in both when In Miami. We try other hotels but usually come back to these two.
First of all the design upon entering is still after all these years incredible, the pool is unbelievable and attracts people from all over the world( as you will find out at the pool)
The food poolside and in its restaurant is exquisite.
The location is perfect, the rooms , service and over all appeal of this hotel is perfect. You cant beat it..

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Bornabrit
Dwight P, Guest Relations Manager at Delano South Beach Hotel, responded to this review, July 29, 2014
Dear Bornabrit,
Thank you for taking the time to complete this review and for your continued loyalty with Morgan’s Hotel Group. I am very happy to see you enjoyed your experience with us. I would like to personally extend myself as your Delano ally, so whenever you are interested in returning you can reach out to me directly. You may contact me at Dwight.Palacious@mhgc.com. I look forward to hearing from you and welcoming you back in the near future.
Best regards,
Raleigh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

Really enjoyed our stay here even though it was too short!! The rooms are very nice and feature trendy, modern decor that isn't too cold. What I really love is the ambiance from the lobby to the bar to the pool. It's a very romantic setting that pulls you back in time. Brunch here was outstanding and is always a must when we visit South Beach. Highly recommend!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014

SO OVER-RATED!

i had been coming to delano for years. and years. back in the early days of this once ian schrager property there was pride and quality. once he left the group and it became morgans (or however that worked, its started going downhill). designer or not there was a reputation to uphold back then.

i read all these positive reviews and thought, wow, they have really gotten their act together since i moved away a few years back. so i booked it for a recent stay. my gut said no but my heart said yes. where was my head in this??

the attitude was just as crummy as i remember. that elitist snobbery you even get at arrival, that up and down eyyball thing even when you are (were once) a rose bar or pool bar regular (but they'll double dip your tips so be careful). the pristine white has grown dingy over time. cracks in the marble bath etc. shabby rusty fixtures. worn linens. little details get missed. hair in the tub, sink, on the floor. wrapper/paper around the bed. excuses getting made for lack of pool access for private parties. i even heard they now charge for overpriced bath products (i always use my own so i can't confirm). and the worst thing, no apologies for complaints. staff is a revolving door like everything else in south beach.

i didn't even speak up, which i usually do, cause i was just too disgusted. i blame myself for coming back. never again except if friends insist we meet for drinks at my return. it makes me wonder if these reviewers are enchanted by the hotel lobby and grounds charm so much so that they seem mystified in their reviews. i can't figure it out. you should expect more for a $500 micro sized hotel room. in nyc this would never stand.

it makes me soooo sad, delano is a name-stay and once a grand hotel with guest grand-experiences.

Room Tip: oh i don't even know how one would go about this. oceanfront or cabanas perhaps? be ready for...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
1 Thank EUwunderluster
Dwight P, Guest Relations Manager at Delano South Beach Hotel, responded to this review, July 27, 2014
Dear EUwunderluster,
I would like to apologize that your experience did not go as well as either one of us would have hoped. I would like to touch on a couple points you mentioned in your review. Regarding the “double dip” you mentioned, the vast majority of hotels in Miami automatically include gratuity on your food and beverage bills and it is our standard to inform guests of this. I am sorry if this was not communicated to you. There are two sets of bath products in the bathrooms. The larger sized products wrapped in plastic are for sale, but the smaller versions are complimentary and these are replenished daily. I find it very concerning that you did not receive an apology for any of the complaints but a bit difficult to understand because, as you mentioned in your survey, you did not speak up. The sizes of our rooms are comparable to most hotels in South Beach and we do offer several different rooming options, some of which are much larger than the standard size room. The room sizes and options are readily available for viewing on our website and, if you booked directly with us, the room size will be on your confirmation. I invite you to contact me directly as I would like to address the discrepancies you encountered in the room. You can reach me at Dwight.Palacious@gmail.com. We pride ourselves on making everlasting memories and while we are able to attain this with countless numbers of our guests, it is evident that this was not the case for you. Again, I do apologize.
Kind regards,
Nicosia, Cyprus
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

My husband and I visited the Delano for the second time in June 2014. Once again, it was a truly unforgettable experience! If there were one place that had to represent Miami Beach, this would be it… From the art deco interiors, to the trendy pool scene, the hotel oozes South Beach glamour!
The staff throughout the hotel was extremely helpful and friendly and did their best to accommodate our every request. A special thanks to Dwight for making our stay as special as possible and for looking out for us even before we arrived!
The food was excellent and the delicious cocktails were the perfect accessory while soaking up the sunshine and enjoying the stunning views of the pool and its surroundings.
All in all, we had an incredible time and are already looking forward to our next visit!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Aretiap
Dwight P, Guest Relations Manager at Delano South Beach Hotel, responded to this review, July 26, 2014
Dear Aretiap,
Thank you for your review and for giving us the opportunity to create an everlasting memory for you. It was truly a pleasure to have had you with us and I cannot wait to welcome you back in the near future. Please do not hesitate to contact me (Dwight.Palacious@mhgc.com) whenever you are ready to start planning you next Delano experience; I am always happy to help.
All the best,
saratoga ny
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014 via mobile

Have stayed here a few times over the past few years and most recently June 21, 2014. It's always been a pleasure to spend time here and this past stay was no exception. The ambiance is always special and the service is fantastic....especially Darian who made this last stay the best. Location is great...right on the beach & walking distance to Lincoln Rd and Ocean Dr. Very much looking forward to our next visit.

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank zaluke
Dear zaluke,
Thank you for your continued loyalty over the years and for taking the time to submit this review. I will be sure to have Darian read your comment about him. Whenever you interested in returning, please feel free to reach out to me directly. You can reach me at Dwight.Palacious@mhgc.com; I look forward to hearing from you.
Kind regards,
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

I had a fantastic stay at the Delano, a jewel on South Beach. Staff were first rate and can never do enough for you. The beautiful white rooms are extremely comfortable and give off that relaxing feeling. Pool is fabulous and the hotel is idyllic. A must stay in ones life!!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business